(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 48.
    #801 6 years ago

Astyy- yes, that is the credit insert. Should have searched better first since I totally missed Rocket III. Those middle bumper caps are pretty funky...something stuck on top to cover the lamp burn or did they bubble up ?

#802 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

(or maybe he is the cattle rustler?)
    BTW, a number of Ballys from this era have an extra set of scoring reels:
    Dogies has "Cactus Juice"
    Capersville has "Sea Ray Super Bonus Caper"
    The Wiggler has "Wiggle Jet Super Bonus"
    Rockmakers has "Rock-A-Rock"
    Then with a few others like Safari and Cosmos they went to a single extra digit per player before phasing it out.
    Pretty sure the point was to offer an extra opportunity to earn a special by completing specific goals (outside of points/match/lit rollovers).

Also from that time period, Willaims 1968 Pit Stop has 2 digit lap counters for each player in addition to the regular score reels.

#803 6 years ago
    Quoted from BanditBoy:

This is an excellent thread, wish I lived in the USA........... Anyone fancy taking in an immigrant from England???

No. You guys spell "kerb" funny.

#804 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No. You guys spell "kerb" funny.

& they drink warm beer...

#805 6 years ago

& Drive on the wrong side of the road.

#806 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Tizz real ale my friend.....
    My other love, brewing beer.... 13 uk gallon brewery in my shed.

#807 6 years ago

On a whim, With beer in one hand or with beers in both hands, everybody can start singing the Anacreontic song. Yea!

#808 6 years ago

FYI From my experience the warm beer thing is not really true. When I went to London and Isle of Wight all the beer was cold. I asked about the "warm beer" and guys just sort of shrugged it off...............I like cold beer mate!!

#809 6 years ago
    Quoted from BanditBoy:

Anyone fancy taking in an immigrant from England???

Quoted from BanditBoy:

My other love, brewing beer.... 13 uk gallon brewery in my shed.

You're making a pretty good case for me to open up my guest room to you for an extended stay!!

#810 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

You're making a pretty good case for me to open up my guest room to you for an extended stay!!

Also know how to make spirits, Would that be a dealbreaker ?? Lol

#811 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Since we are talking about 60's Bally zipper flipper games, I am curious if any other Bally titles (besides Surfers that I am restoring) have a lighted credit insert in the apron

Usually on add-a-ball games

#812 6 years ago

Visit #32 -> Todd MacCulloch (@Pingiant) in Bainbridge Island, WA (part 1 of 2)

The subjects: Nags, Derby, Basketball Champ, Ten Strike, Goalee, Card Whiz, Magic Baseball, Flying Turns

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

My first visit in Seattle was to visit the “Pingiant”, aka Todd, ex-NBA player and gracious host.

I’d never met anyone who had played in the NBA before. I always wondered what ex-players did with their lives after retiring from the game. Turns out, Todd is doing the very thing most of us are too, except on a slightly larger scale. Which befits his namesake awfully well, doesn’t it?

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

At first, I wasn’t sure I had arrived at the correct address. Plenty of vehicles were parked outside but there was no one in sight. I followed a path downstairs and saw a familiar-looking fellow in a baseball cap having a smoke. He extended his hand, “Hi, I’m Mark… Mark Ritchie.”

Then another person stepped outside, this time a local arcade owner who I hadn’t met before. “Hey… are you ‘that guy’ driving across the country?”

I then noticed Steve, Trudeau, and several other classic pinball veterans standing inside. Honestly, it was an exciting moment to be among so many of them. I’m not a celebrity chaser (frankly, the whole entertainment industry annoys me) but the pinball world is only a tiny part of it… and being a part of it myself makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Instead of talking about pinball, I figured I could simply Google what these guys had already said at the dozens of interviews they’ve already given… so I just listened to what they like to do nowadays.

Mark is into deer hunting. He uses the whole animal, dresses it himself, and strives to be a good example of an ethical hunter. Trudeau is using his free time to indulge in one of the best things you can do with your guy-pals later in life (next to pinball, of course)… singing and playing guitar in a band doing local live gigs.

Hey… what do you know… people are just people after all.

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

But where was Todd? I followed some loud shouting to the garage house…

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

Todd was enthusiastically playing the part of race caller and recruiting new players for his horse racing game. I had to volunteer my services. I love ball-rolldown games like this. Always a fun social experience to scramble for the finish line, yelling all the way.

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

Yes, Todd is very tall. I mean, I’m pretty tall myself, and people are usually surprised when they meet me in person at 6’ 3” height. But Todd makes me feel positively Lilliputian by any measure. Let’s just say I was glad we were playing roller ball horse derby instead of shooting hoops!

“Hey Todd! Where did you get this game? How the heck did you get it inside?”

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

Todd gestured to the rear wall. “Garage doors!”, he smiled. Then told me the lower floor is where most of the EM’s were, and the upper floor had the rest.

(*gasp*... two... floors?)

At this moment it became very difficult not to break into a spontaneous crazy-happy dance… but I held it together. Barely.

7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

Before rappelling into the downstairs wonderland, I had to explore some of the highlights of this room. A Red Zone skill-stop game featured a Silverball CD by the Barenaked Ladies as a potential prize. A highly appropriate choice.

8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG

Skee-Ball meets shuffle-puck-baseball meets pitch-n’-bat baseball meets Whoa Nellie. Ever played shuffle-puck baseball? Good times.

9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

A loud popping sound spun me around on my heels. It was coming from a game I’d never seen before: Cool Gunman by Namco. Why is this game not in every bar across Texas? Aim for the nearest floor tile and blast the can into your opponent’s goal.

I captured a game with Mark demonstrating his trick shooting skills…

I watched these fellas violently spin the handles on a soccer-themed game. It’s fun, but you have to be careful with the inertia of the handles or it will bang into your arm… which happened to me a couple of times. Which only made me want to try harder to win.

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

More noises from around the corner. This time, a Baytek racing game which is popular at places like Dave and Busters. Really fun to play with four skilled players!

12 (resized).JPG12 (resized).JPG

Of course, no arcade such as this would be complete without a ginormous ball bowler. Everyone loves these things. I wonder if there is a business case for making them again with modern tech and toys?

13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG

Of course… there was pinball. Lots of pinball. Joust 2-player pinball. Safecracker pinball. Spooky Pinball…

14 (resized).JPG14 (resized).JPG

…Lebowski pinball. Batman ’66 Super LE pinball. Hobbit pinball. Classic Williams. New Sterns. And we love them all… but…

15 (resized).JPG15 (resized).JPG

…it was time to descend to the lower floor and explore the glorious EM-past...

16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG

SEGA’s Gun Fight stood proudly among the classics to challenge any would-be gunslingers.

17 (resized).JPG17 (resized).JPG

Showdown offers a simple concept: Draw first! The cardboard-cutout cowboys acted out the results.

18 (resized).JPG18 (resized).JPG

Return of Ringer! Again it was present, and again it was enjoyed by all.

19 (resized).JPG19 (resized).JPG

Ambush is one of the better EM-gun games with rattling gun vibrations and wiggling targets. We featured one at the VECTOR Committee in the Dallas Makerspace… it was quite popular.

20 (resized).JPG20 (resized).JPG

Better than foosball! Use the triggers to fling the basketballs faster than your opponent. Nice looking artwork on this one.

21 (resized).JPG21 (resized).JPG

Sega Helicopter was one of a dozen or so rotary flight games I saw in my younger years. Back then, I had no idea whatsoever how they were supposed to work. Now I find them to be some of the best examples of amusements from the EM-era. It takes a good bit of skill and finesse to get a high score.

If this game were made today it would probably have a drone racing theme.

22 (resized).JPG22 (resized).JPG

Here’s an uncommon one: Kasco Untouchable. You must drive the police car while simultaneously shooting the gun at the fleeing criminals. An 8-track audio cassette originally provided environmental sounds for the chase… such a neat feature back in the day.

I recorded a video of Jeffrey (owner of Ground Kontrol) pursuing the gangsters…

23 (resized).JPG23 (resized).JPG

Oh, there was more to see… so much more… but we can’t go on forever so we will pause at the end of part 1 with my absolute favorite most amazing EM game in Todd’s collection: Bally Space Flight.

Be still, my spacefaring heart… this is one truly fantastic game. Gorgeous cabinet, twinkling stars, a rotating ultraviolet lunar surface, nixie tube landing counter, control scoring panel, real audio from real Apollo/Saturn rocket missions (originally inserted into the game via 8-track radio signaling - now digitized for greater reliability)...

24 (resized).JPG24 (resized).JPG

…and simulated environmental effects like this spectrometer and radar sweep using spinning colored plastic disks underneath (much like those colorful animated vintage beer signs).

AND THE DARN THING IS FUN TO PLAY, TOO.

Todd, if you ever consider selling this… even remotely consider… even a gnat’s wing… call me immediately. I will drive all the way from Patagonia to get it.

We conclude this portion with a video of Jeffrey attempting five perilous landings on the lunar surface…

(part 2 to be continued…)

#813 6 years ago

awesome!!!! Always wondered what marvels were in store at Todds place!

I was excited for you when you noted you woudl be stoppping by!

#814 6 years ago

Finally was able to read through this thread-so cool that you are able to do this! Love seeing the old EM's getting some love! Have a great rest of your journey and I'll be looking forward to your updates!

#815 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Visit #32 -> Todd MacCulloch (Pingiant) in Bainbridge Island, WA (part 1 of 2)
    The subjects: Nags, Derby, Basketball Champ, Ten Strike, Goalee, Card Whiz, Magic Baseball, Flying Turns

My first visit in Seattle was to visit the “Pingiant”, aka Todd, ex-NBA player and gracious host.
    I’d never met anyone who had played in the NBA before. I always wondered what ex-players did with their lives after retiring from the game. Turns out, Todd is doing the very thing most of us are too, except on a slightly larger scale. Which befits his namesake awfully well, doesn’t it?

At first, I wasn’t sure I had arrived at the correct address. Plenty of vehicles were parked outside but there was no one in sight. I followed a path downstairs and saw a familiar-looking fellow in a baseball cap having a smoke. He extended his hand, “Hi, I’m Mark… Mark Ritchie.”
    Then another person stepped outside, this time a local arcade owner who I hadn’t met before. “Hey… are you ‘that guy’ driving across the country?”
    I then noticed Steve, Trudeau, and several other classic pinball veterans standing inside. Honestly, it was an exciting moment to be among so many of them. I’m not a celebrity chaser (frankly, the whole entertainment industry annoys me) but the pinball world is only a tiny part of it… and being a part of it myself makes it a lot more enjoyable.
    Instead of talking about pinball, I figured I could simply Google what these guys had already said at the dozens of interviews they’ve already given… so I just listened to what they like to do nowadays.
    Mark is into deer hunting. He uses the whole animal, dresses it himself, and strives to be a good example of an ethical hunter. Trudeau is using his free time to indulge in one of the best things you can do with your guy-pals later in life (next to pinball, of course)… singing and playing guitar in a band doing local live gigs.
    Hey… what do you know… people are just people after all.

But where was Todd? I followed some loud shouting to the garage house…

Todd was enthusiastically playing the part of race caller and recruiting new players for his horse racing game. I had to volunteer my services. I love ball-rolldown games like this. Always a fun social experience to scramble for the finish line, yelling all the way.

Yes, Todd is very tall. I mean, I’m pretty tall myself, and people are usually surprised when they meet me in person at 6’ 3” height. But Todd makes me feel positively Lilliputian by any measure. Let’s just say I was glad we were playing roller ball horse derby instead of shooting hoops!
    “Hey Todd! Where did you get this game? How the heck did you get it inside?”

Todd gestured to the rear wall. “Garage doors!”, he smiled. Then told me the lower floor is where most of the EM’s were, and the upper floor had the rest.
    (*gasp*... two... floors?)
    At this moment it became very difficult not to break into a spontaneous crazy-happy dance… but I held it together. Barely.

Before rappelling into the downstairs wonderland, I had to explore some of the highlights of this room. A Red Zone skill-stop game featured a Silverball CD by the Barenaked Ladies as a potential prize. A highly appropriate choice.

Skee-Ball meets shuffle-puck-baseball meets pitch-n’-bat baseball meets Whoa Nellie. Ever played shuffle-puck baseball? Good times.

A loud popping sound spun me around on my heels. It was coming from a game I’d never seen before: Cool Gunman by Namco. Why is this game not in every bar across Texas? Aim for the nearest floor tile and blast the can into your opponent’s goal.
    I captured a game with Mark demonstrating his trick shooting skills… » YouTube video

I watched these fellas violently spin the handles on a soccer-themed game. It’s fun, but you have to be careful with the inertia of the handles or it will bang into your arm… which happened to me a couple of times. Which only made me want to try harder to win.

More noises from around the corner. This time, a Baytek racing game which is popular at places like Dave and Busters. Really fun to play with four skilled players!

Of course, no arcade such as this would be complete without a ginormous ball bowler. Everyone loves these things. I wonder if there is a business case for making them again with modern tech and toys?

Of course… there was pinball. Lots of pinball. Joust 2-player pinball. Safecracker pinball. Spooky Pinball…

…Lebowski pinball. Batman ’66 Super LE pinball. Hobbit pinball. Classic Williams. New Sterns. And we love them all… but…

…it was time to descend to the lower floor and explore the glorious EM-past...

SEGA’s Gun Fight stood proudly among the classics to challenge any would-be gunslingers.

Showdown offers a simple concept: Draw first! The cardboard-cutout cowboys acted out the results.

Return of Ringer! Again it was present, and again it was enjoyed by all.

Ambush is one of the better EM-gun games with rattling gun vibrations and wiggling targets. We featured one at the VECTOR Committee in the Dallas Makerspace… it was quite popular.

Better than foosball! Use the triggers to fling the basketballs faster than your opponent. Nice looking artwork on this one.

Sega Helicopter was one of a dozen or so rotary flight games I saw in my younger years. Back then, I had no idea whatsoever how they were supposed to work. Now I find them to be some of the best examples of amusements from the EM-era. It takes a good bit of skill and finesse to get a high score.
    If this game were made today it would probably have a drone racing theme.

Here’s an uncommon one: Kasco Untouchable. You must drive the police car while simultaneously shooting the gun at the fleeing criminals. An 8-track audio cassette originally provided environmental sounds for the chase… such a neat feature back in the day.
    I recorded a video of Jeffrey (owner of Ground Kontrol) pursuing the gangsters… » YouTube video

Oh, there was more to see… so much more… but we can’t go on forever so we will pause at the end of part 1 with my absolute favorite most amazing EM game in Todd’s collection: Bally Space Flight.
    Be still, my spacefaring heart… this is one truly fantastic game. Gorgeous cabinet, twinkling stars, a rotating ultraviolet lunar surface, nixie tube landing counter, control scoring panel, real audio from real Apollo/Saturn rocket missions (originally inserted into the game via 8-track radio signaling - now digitized for greater reliability)...

…and simulated environmental effects like this spectrometer and radar sweep using spinning colored plastic disks underneath (much like those colorful animated vintage beer signs).
    AND THE DARN THING IS FUN TO PLAY, TOO.
    Todd, if you ever consider selling this… even remotely consider… even a gnat’s wing… call me immediately. I will drive all the way from Patagonia to get it.
    We conclude this portion with a video of Jeffrey attempting five perilous landings on the lunar surface… » YouTube video
    (part 2 to be continued…)

... and yet another Ringer!

#816 6 years ago

Is Todd looking to adopt an over 40 balding man. if so, I volunteer. Awesome collection.

#817 6 years ago

Wow, what a neat selection of games and I would love to check out the gun games, Cool Gunman looks interesting with shooting the can also the Sega Gun Fight looks like an old west gunfight; I haven't seen those games around here.

#818 6 years ago

what an awesome collection @Pingiant, thanks for sharing all the pics NicoVolta

#819 6 years ago

Visit #32 -> Todd MacCulloch (@Pingiant) in Bainbridge Island, WA (part 2 of 2)

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

Time for the fixin’s! We began the day with one of the best woodrails ever made: A 1960 Williams Nags.

It is a ridiculous game. Your horse can change mid-stream. The odd horses run. The even horses run. The pop bumpers spin around in a circle. The ball is hardly under your control. And yet… playing this game with friends is a real screamer because your fortune can shift in a split-second.

Inside, the hold relay had burned up. No hold, no power, no game. Since we didn’t have a spare coil on hand, I bent the switches to the on position as a temporary fix. Also made a few adjustments to some scoring switches and relays and *boom* we’re off to the races again.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

This is an optical illusion. Nags is smaller, Todd is bigger... but just as happy nonetheless.

Chicago Coin wasn’t renowned for making quality pinball machines, but they did manufacture other EM-games to a high standard. Basketball Champ would be one of them. The ball wasn’t always scoring when it went through the hoop.

Getting to the hoop was tricky. I had to –very carefully- remove the rebound glass to detach the switch. Unfortunately it proved to be a major time sink, so I straightened the switch tensioner and put it back in place. Better, but still not 100%. I wasn’t comfortable hurrying through a precision bend without a vise.

Time for another Chicago Coin classic: Derby, a 4-player bagatelle-style horse race. As you can see, Todd easily relocated it for me.

Inside, the mechs looked clean and the quality of the glass was outstanding. It had been custom made to replace the old one.

Aha! Underneath the player panel we find a stepper which was not resetting to 1-player, hanging up the game. I cleaned it up, retensioned the springs, and it was merrily zipping away again.

Another win for the horsies.

How about a small-guy-bowler? This attractive Evans Ten Strike gave you five frames for a nickel… and two extra shots for a strike (or one for a spare).

10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG

Easy fix here. The launch switch was dirty and poorly tensioned. After cleaning and adjusting it, the little man hurled like a champion again.

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

Another fine Chicago Coin production… Goalee! The Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas has one of these. For such a simple game it can be maddeningly difficult to play. The hockey players whirl in place depending upon the direction of the handle. It is just as easy to smack a ball across the field as it is to bang it into your own goal!

The motherboard conveniently slides out for semi-easy access.

I didn’t find any glaring issues under the hood, but I did find a few steppers which seemed a bit out of alignment. A few minor adjustments and a reset seemed to do the trick. But the jury is out until this Goalee gets a few dozen games under its belt.

Time waning, we made our way downstairs to the EM-cave and encountered a large snail. Seems these cute little fellas really enjoy the moist elements of the Pacific Northwest.

“Midget Alley” may not be politically correct nowadays, but it nevertheless offers a unique thrill. The ball spins up on a 3400rpm motor before being flung into the pins. But neither it nor the pitch-and-bats were priorities so we moved on.

15 (resized).JPG15 (resized).JPG

Nearby, another pitch-and-bat and a Gottlieb Big Hit were waiting in the queue. Again, not enough of a priority… let’s keep moving.

16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG

Nothing wrong with this Bally Skill-Roll, but hey, might as well take a photo. The lower you go, the more difficult it gets to launch the nickel across the scoring switches. Sure feels good when you make it all the way!

This funny little game uses an air hose to levitate the “baseball” (ping pong ball) in front of the batter. When it reaches the right altitude, fire away! Ker-CHUNK! Strangely more fun than you might expect.

He wasn’t working, so I cleaned up the launch motor and a few switches… *thwack* and it’s another grand slam!

18 (resized).JPG18 (resized).JPG

Time to take a Flying Turn. Great game… but it was blowing fuses when the cars advanced down the track.

I didn’t have a circuit-breaker fuse with me and Todd didn’t have any spare fuses, so I used the last of my 15 amp fuses to track down the culprit. I checked the entire logic path and could see sparks from one of the scoring relays, but alas, ran out of fuses (and time) during the troubleshooting process.

19 (resized).JPG19 (resized).JPG

Dang. Batmobile caught a flat on this one. I spent the rest of our time getting Card Whiz up to speed.

20 (resized).JPG20 (resized).JPG

And now, before we resume the EM Home Challenge, we must stop to pay homage to what is perhaps the finest pitch and bat game of all time… a pristine 1937 Rock-Ola World Series.

21 (resized).JPG21 (resized).JPG

Manufactured from 1937-1941 (production stopped due to WWII), the game features the real players from the 1937 All-Stars. It has a display area to the right where the spent balls track strikes, outs, and foul balls. The umpire raises his right or left hand depending upon whether a strike or ball was thrown. The overall effect is incredibly charming.

22 (resized).JPG22 (resized).JPG

The pitcher can deliver approximately 15 different pitches and hurls it straight from his hand to the bat. The other players move side-to-side to trap the ball during the game.

I basked in the warm glow of World Series for quite a while. Surely, it must be the most treasured item of all in Todd’s collection.

23 (resized).JPG23 (resized).JPG

(Cue Aerosmith – Back In The Saddle)

Card Whiz was the game of choice and it went to three rounds. I won, but damn, as you can see Todd really made me fight for it! The bad luck streak has ended with a new 16-7 record. BTW, we are supposed to be doing a “16” in the photo, but I got it backwards.

Big fun in the Pacific Northwest! Great barcades, a great show at the convention center meeting new pals, and of course a wonderful time with Todd and the pinball alumni who made it all possible in the first place.

Yep, I think I could get used to this. Now if only I could figure out where to put my EM collection in this part of the country…

Next stop -> Brian Lee in Vancouver, WA

#820 6 years ago

WOW, what a fantastic collection...........

#821 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

encountered a large snail.

Those are called slugs
    Looks like it might have been a banana slug,
    mascot to the University of California at Santa Cruz.

#822 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

encountered a large snail

That is a slug. If you live in the Pacific Nortwest and B.C. it is called a pest, especially if you have a garden. The slugs can destroy vegetables, and flowers fairly easily. At night, walking in a yard it is best to wear shoes. Banana Slugs can actually sit up like a snake, and can be 4 to 6 inches long, and are pale green, brown, black to a bright yellow colour. Kind of ickey.

#823 6 years ago

Awwww thought it was a snail... saw one earlier in the same area and thought it had crawled out of its shell.

#824 6 years ago

Great post Nic!

#825 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

That is a slug. If you live in the Pacific Nortwest and B.C. it is called a pest, especially if you have a garden. The slugs can destroy vegetables, and flowers fairly easily.

The best way I found to get rid of slugs is to use beer traps. The problem with this solution is the more beer you use for slugs, the less beer there is for you.

#826 6 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

The best way I found to get rid of slugs is to use beer traps. The problem with this solution is the more beer you use for slugs, the less beer there is for you.

That's what PBR is for!

#827 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

That's what PBR is for!

But my slugs only like the good stuff.

#828 6 years ago

Yep we used to see a lot of those banana slugs, I used to visit UC Santa Cruz a lot when I had a sprout going to school there. Here's a few pics I took while walking in the woods up there. Ones like these are as big across as your hand.

BananaSlug (resized).jpgBananaSlug (resized).jpg
    800px-Banana_slug_at_UCSC (resized).jpg800px-Banana_slug_at_UCSC (resized).jpg

#829 6 years ago

Yep -- banana slugs are the only ones native to Pac nw-- rest are all invasive.

Good write up on Todds! Always wondered what his collection was like - very cool!

#830 6 years ago

Awesome collection! I met Todd years ago at a show. He's the largest human being I have ever encountered!
    I'm saying that in a respectful way, of course!

#831 6 years ago

I would love to play that 1937 Rock-Ola World Series. Never seen one of those. A local collector has that Magic Baseball and it is quite fun to play.

IMG_0808 (resized).JPGIMG_0808 (resized).JPG

#832 6 years ago

One tremendous plus to this grand trek: so many rare and interesting games that I've never seen before -- anywhere -- and may never manage to encounter, except vicariously like this ! The Nags woodrail being a prime example. And what was that one whose pf surface reminded of Orbitor 1 . . . though I'm not even sure it would be classified as a pin ? I thought I would have to go to Seattle in order to see an Attila (what an unlikely subject for a game ?!), but luckily I came across one at the Banning museum. It played a bit better than expected, too. You can find a good selection of Zacarias there as well. I'd love to run into a Heighway Full Throttle or a Big Lebowski somewhere not too terribly far away, but good luck with that . . . . And of course, many EMs and other games that are very seldom seen.

#833 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I would love to play that 1937 Rock-Ola World Series. Never seen one of those. A local collector has that Magic Baseball and it is quite fun to play.

There is one on location at the Mechanical Museum on Fishermans Wharf, SAN Francisco. Surprising, since they go for over $30k.

#834 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

There is one on location at the Mechanical Museum on Fishermans Wharf. Surprising, since they go for over $30k.

I think the Silverball Ranch (aka Richard Konger) has one too. I could be wrong though.

#835 6 years ago

Visit #33 -> Brian Lee (@hollywood69s) in Vancouver, WA

The subject: Little Chief

Yes, there is another Vancouver. It sits on the south edge of the state of Washington and is also known as “the other Portland”.

The geographic location of Vancouver, WA offers a unique advantage being that the state of Washington doesn’t charge any income tax, and Oregon no sales tax. Aha! But beware to the tax cheater who would play both sides of the field… they’re wise to your sneaky little plan.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

Brian and Karen were early responders to the tour and had the tees to prove it. I’m glad they did because these two really know how to have a good time. No shortage of fun anywhere in the house: Foosball, poker table, billiards, horseshoes, bocce, fire pit, pinball, and a plethora of libations as well. Wish I had more time to hang out during this quick visit!

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

Gorgar looked and played perfectly, but Little Chief needed some TLC to get going again.

One of the score reels was cheating us. We were only getting 40 points instead of 50 each time. What was happening to the extra click?

Typically, when the score reels are short a click (4000 instead of 5000, 400 instead of 500, etc.), one of the motor switch stacks is in the wrong position.

As you can see, the two switch stacks on the far right extend a bit further out than the others.

Williams motor switches have a front and rear mounting position. In this case, the stack responsible for delivering the clicks was mounted in the wrong position.

6x (resized).jpg6x (resized).jpg

After moving it to the rear mounting position... 5 clicks again. No shortchanging here!

Brian prepares a Windex-wettened qtip to clean the underside of playfield inserts. Never use alcohol here... it can melt/haze the plastic.

Something to keep in mind: Ammonia will make plastic brittle and break with repeated use. One swab for the initial cleaning may be OK, but for maximum safety soap and water is the best option.

Next, a relay is cleaned, gapped, and polished while Gorgar secretly plots Brian’s demise.

Fred, the 13-year old Jack Russell terrier, didn’t care about pinball whatsoever. He only wanted his tennis ball, now, or else that shoe is getting a nip! WOOF! WE PLAY NOW!

10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG

This type of orange playfield rollover button does not self-lift because there is no spring inside. The job of lifting is entirely up to the switch blade underneath. After cleaning the buttons, I tensioned each blade with a slight curve to ensure snappy performance without sticking.

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

Occasionally, the game would end early after draining ball 2 or 3. The first trough switch was to blame. It was gapped a little too closely… causing it to momentarily close at the same time as the second switch (signaling game over).

It was cleaned, polished, and tweaked with a larger gap. No more sudden death!

When renewing lamp sockets, don’t forget to hit the spring inside with the Magic Brush. Makes it all nice and shiny again. Shiny is good. Electricity loves shiny metal.

It was time to stealthify Little Chief with some warm white LED’s. Brian deployed the vacuum for cleaning duty around the sockets and routed edges.

In case you were wondering, Brian is Joe Pantoliano’s (“Cypher” from The Matrix) long lost cousin. Voices are pretty close too! But I don’t think he accepted my comparison as valid because Cypher turned on his crew, after all.

15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg

Little Chief looked much improved in warm LED-mode. Being that we were in Washington, I was told to photograph the glass at this exact moment because… well… maybe you can figure out why.

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

The EM Home Challenge continues with another win… now 17-7. Finally got the photo reflection correct this time!

It was a quick visit, but a fun one. Brian and Karen have a good thing going in this part of the Pacific Northwest. Now that Little Chief is working, I've heard rumors that it is getting played more often than Gorgar. Sounds like another EM might be joining the family soon... wanna bet on it?

Next stop -> “Major Tom to Ground Kontrol” – Portland and Salem, OR

#836 6 years ago

Locally known as "Vantuckey"

#837 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

http://www.elephanteater.com/12617
    ...logistics and pre-order button are at that ^^^ link. We gotta get 10 pre-orders by the end of Thursday, June 29th, in order to make another go, though

What better way to show your patriotism on the 4th of July
    than to order and wear a Nic's North American Pinball Tour T-Shirt.

#838 6 years ago

Great thread, keep the pics and all coming please!

#839 6 years ago

What a great collection. I used to be a big NBA fan as a kid, and Todd MacCullouch rang a bell... did a google search and found an image of him draped across my childhood idol, Shaquille O'Neal. That's how I knew the name! Thanks for sharing!

#840 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...logistics and pre-order button are at that ^^^ link. We gotta get 10 pre-orders by the end of Thursday, June 29th, in order to make another go, though.

Hi All,

Just a quick announcement; with 5 days remaining we still need 6 more t-shirt pre-orders if we're gonna make another run at these puppies.

NicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpgNicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpg

One more time:

Keep it up, Nic! Just a few more states to go!!! (Can't believe you're still going.)

Sincerely,
    Ryan "Artist and Shirt Coordinator" Claytor

#841 6 years ago

Ur gonna be an alcoholic after this trip Nick-all them drafts!!

#842 6 years ago

*burp*

I needs my medicine to get through this.

*hic*

#843 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lefman:

Ur gonna be an alcoholic after this trip Nick-all them drafts!!

Probably a drunk.

Alcoholics go to meetings.

#844 6 years ago

*ahem*... I got a fever... and the only therapy I need... is more pinball!

More-Cowbell (resized).jpgMore-Cowbell (resized).jpg

#845 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Probably a drunk.
    Alcoholics go to meetings.

We have meetings here. Our meetings are at the bar though.

#846 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Because Lucas makes refrigerators

#849 6 years ago

Me, it's boring at work!!!

#850 6 years ago

yes please!

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/17?hl=nascarrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.