(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 48.
    #751 6 years ago

Hope you got plenty of rest during your extended stopover in Tacoma WA,
    have a safe trip during your last leg of the journey

#752 6 years ago

Hey Nic. It was great meeting and chatting with you last night at Todd's. Unfortunately we had to run out to catch the 10:30 ferry back to Vancouver. Good luck with the rest of your trip!

James

#753 6 years ago

Nick, When you're in Kelowna, try to spot Oco Poco in the lake. Hopefully you're staying at The Grand Okanagan. Lots of Bally and WMS machines there too. Of course, they're slot machines.

#754 6 years ago

This thread has inspired me to attempt my first foray into EMs. I'll be tackling an Old Chicago which has been in storage for 15 years, in unknown condition. Hopefully I won't need to book Nic on his inevitable European Tour to get it up and running, but we'll see...

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Nick, When you're in Kelowna, try to spot Oco Poco in the lake. Hopefully you're staying at The Grand Okanagan. Lots of Bally and WMS machines there too. Of course, they're slot machines.

Man, the Okanagan used to be a bit of a mecca of video and pinball machines when I was a kid. Every water park also had an arcade, as did amusement centers, ice cream shop cafes, some motels, and even some amazing stand alone arcades. It was one of the things I looked forward to when the family vacationed there, and where I developed my love for pinball.

#756 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Man, the Okanagan used to be a bit of a mecca of video and pinball machines when I was a kid. Every water park also had an arcade, as did amusement centers, ice cream shop cafes, some motels, and even some amazing stand alone arcades. It was one of the things I looked forward to when the family vacationed there, and where I developed my love for pinball.

Penticton too. The mall had an arcade with pi s when I first started traveling there for work in '95.

Added over 7 years ago: Pins

#757 6 years ago

Hey Nic
    Glad you were able to make an unofficial stop here in Salem
    to pay me a visit and see my humble but neglected pin collection.
    It was good talking pinball and other stuff with you.
    Hope that you do chose the northwest as your new home.
    You certainly passed muster with Dewey the Dog
    and our 5 cats (Jack, Ouija, Leroy, Little Bit and MoJo)
    and most importantly you got 2 thumbs up from my wife Deb.
    Hoped you enjoyed your time here and
    the beer and Reuben sandwich at McMenamins.

cheers Tom

p.s. I think a board on GamePlan's Vegas cocktail pin is fried.
    At least there was no fire.
    We need to finish up the rubber match on the Eye of the Tiger
    next time you pass thru.

#758 6 years ago

Taking a break in Revelstoke, Kelowna, and Vancouver, British Columbia – “O Canada!”

The subjects: The Now, The Future, Sheba

The last time I was in Banff was in 2004 during a ski trip with my brother and father. Had it already been 13 years? My gosh… it felt like yesterday.

Time. It passes quickly. Then it passes twice as fast. Then quicker still. And then *poof*… all of a sudden there is no time. No more cars, no friends, no names, no places. No lovers, no families, no oceans, no stars. Only a return to… something… other than here.

Something forever. Or never.

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

Enter Canada’s magnificent British Columbia…

Many people have remarked how they would have liked to have taken a journey like this, if only they had the time. Truth is, even if you have the time, you may not have the means. Or, if you have the means, you may not have the opportunity. Or, if you have the opportunity, you may not have your health. Or, even if you have all of these things, you may still have children or animals or relatives or friends who need you in their daily lives.

If you’ve felt this way, don’t feel bad. It is universal to yearn for travel and just as difficult to free yourself from life’s circumstances to actually do it.

The daily demands of life tends to root us in place. It is not so simple to “cut and run” without invoking negative consequences. And negative consequences are what we hope to escape via travel in the first place, no?

I was able to make this journey because I’ve been preparing for a trip like this for several years. It isn’t quite the one I had originally planned, but it is nevertheless exceeding my expectations and I’m sincerely glad to have you along.

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

As mentioned, my main goal is to strengthen the “EM Army” and get the knowledge out there. Too many great games are languishing in garages and storage units across North America for no good reason other than a lack of accessible knowledge. I want to see them survive because EM’s are not only wonderfully entertaining and pretty to look at but also the most social of all pinball games. And let’s face it, we could all use a bit more socializing in this modern “world of screens” which so divides us at times.

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

Secondly, I am hunting for a new place to put down roots. I may have been born in Dallas and lived my whole life in the D/FW metroplex but I’ve never felt that it represented who I am.

As mentioned, life tends to root us in place… and we make do with what we’ve got. We often don’t know what we’re missing until we sample it ourselves.

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

When we go to the bar, do we actually know what all of those colorful liquids in the bottles taste like? Do we know the subtle differences between the whiskeys? Or do we care - and simply choose what we’ve had before?

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

We often get stuck in our ways.

Like likes like.

We make our tools, and then our tools make us.

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

Pinball won’t likely be my future career, but it does need to remain as a significant part of my life. Wherever I go, I want to continue to play, teach, innovate, experiment, and bring joy to others via pinball. Perhaps via another Makerspace or private club or museum… I don’t yet know. But I’ve already got the games, so the answer will come.

7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

I passed this shop in Kelowna and smiled. Evidence that the progressive frontier of the Pacific Northwest was on the horizon.

8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG

The barista corrected my name with a creative flourish. It used to be Nick, but a decade ago I sacrificed the letter k. A new life, new beginning kind of thing.

9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

This is Brian (@Bridog) from Vancouver BC. Seven months ago I contacted him via Pinside about Sheba. He was interested in selling it, but the brokerage and delivery fees would have topped $500 before it even reached the US border! So… I drove 10,000 miles to pick it up myself!

BTW… if you happen to live near Vancouver…

Brian also has a Bally Expressway for sale with a VERY nice playfield, backglass, and cabinet. Feel free to reach out to him if interested. He also has a Lucky Ace for sale as well, because he’s distancing himself from the pinball hobby for a new one:

10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

12 (resized).JPG12 (resized).JPG

Well played, Brian. Well played. But not as well as Zoe, the pinball cat…

And thus... the next chapter of Zen And The Art Of Pinball Maintenance shall continue in the USA...

Next stop -> A quartet of barcades in Seattle, WA

#759 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Taking a break in Revelstoke, Kelowna, and Vancouver, British Columbia – “O Canada!”

Oh Nic! That second photo was not taken in British Columbia. Looks like a shot from my front steps.

#760 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Oh Nic! That second photo was not taken in British Columbia. Looks like a shot from my front steps.

Correct you are! It was on the way to BC and a good contrast of tree-to-Pinwagon. Pardon the technicality.

#761 6 years ago

I will always remember my best friend's grandma sitting on the covered porch one drizzly, foggy evening - smoking a cigarette and sipping whiskey at 93. Appropo of nothing, she took a deep breath and said in her gravelly voice, "It goes fast kids. It goes fast."

#762 6 years ago

So gaets in dieser welt.

#763 6 years ago

1-2-3-4 barcades in a single day -> Seattle, WA

The subjects: Seattle Pinball Museum, Flip Flip Ding Ding, 8-Bit Arcade Bar, Add-A-Ball

Our four-barcade hop on the way to the NWPAS (Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show) begins with the most official stop: The Seattle Pinball Museum.

2x (resized).JPG2x (resized).JPG

Overall, there are more pinball machines (especially EM’s) here than any other barcade in town. Yes, the Seattle Pinball Museum is technically a barcade because you can buy beer and cider while you play.

The museum is located squarely in downtown Seattle, which is a bit of a hassle because Seattle traffic is among the worst of any city in the US. Parking can be a chore too. Might be best to take a Lyft here.

“Hey… are you that guy traveling the country? Nic?”

Fellow Pinsider Brent (@Monsonb) pulled me aside to say hello. He told me he was in town for the weekend but hadn’t planned to attend the NWPAS. Whaaat?!?

I did my best to convince him otherwise… did it work, Brent?

An upstairs area held more games and EM’s. Including an uncommon Attila The Hun game.

The Seattle Pinball Museum charges a flat $15 fee to play unlimited games, with an extra $5 charge for in-and-out privileges. Generally I’m not a fan of the “all you can eat” model, because it discourages casual visits on the way to/from work or home and removes the incentive to earn specials. But, on the upside, it is easier to implement and probably brings in more money overall for busy downtown locations such as this.

Either way, we got pinball to play, pardner.

Next stop: Flip Flip Ding Ding, a neighborhood barcade in a less-crowded part of the city.

9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

Bar-focused, with a pay-per-play model.

Only one EM on the premises: Buccaneer. I spent most of my money playing it to light up all the numbers and earn a special. It played well… wished there were a few more.

Upstairs, a good variety of games were present from the early solid-state period onward.

Overall FFDD serves its neighborhood quite well. Easy to park and sits within walking distance of other attractions and pubs.

The 8-Bit Arcade Bar offers a colorful invitation from the street.

13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG

It has a little bit of everything inside… candy/treat dispensers, gun games, pinballs, video games, and vintage EM’s.

14 (resized).JPG14 (resized).JPG

A Rob Zombie was hiding next to a Batman ’66. Uncommon to find one on route.

15 (resized).JPG15 (resized).JPG

Nearby, Atari’s best all-time racing game 3-player Super Sprint sits next to a Ringer EM. It’s amazing how simple yet fun Ringer can be.

16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG

Three more pins were hiding in a rear room, colorfully decorated with graffiti.

17 (resized).JPG17 (resized).JPG

A good number of EM arcade and gun games were present. Not all of them worked very well, but it was nice to see them in the mix.

Another win for local barcades… 8-Bit does the job well. Extra bonus for having lots of restaurants nearby within walking distance.

18 (resized).JPG18 (resized).JPG

However… the place that stole my heart lies beyond the flags, colorful chairs, and door leading underground to that which is known as…

19 (resized).JPG19 (resized).JPG

ADD-A-BALL! One seriously funky cool neighborhood barcade. Also with a Ringer!

20 (resized).JPG20 (resized).JPG

Add-A-Ball has mastered the art of the venue. As you can see, we have been led into a strange underground room reminiscent of a 1970’s sci-fi action series.

21 (resized).JPG21 (resized).JPG

Death Star on one wall, Swayze on the other. With animatronic fish topper also in view. Yes, this is exactly the sort of environment where I’d drink many a beer and discuss how Canadian strippers deal with loonies.

21x (resized).JPG21x (resized).JPG

Add-A-Ball has the Killer Queen for a dollar a play. Not bad for a 10-player game.

22 (resized).JPG22 (resized).JPG

Where do the neon lights lead us?

23 (resized).JPG23 (resized).JPG

To an upstairs room with jukebox, more pins, and faux-ivy ceiling above a painting of unwilling meme-cat playing the piano. Certainly a place for another beer...

24 (resized).JPG24 (resized).JPG

…which can be had easily and quickly in this cheeky one-bartender joint.

Oh, did I say joint? Yes, that would be the other thing Washington is now famous for.

Add-A-Ball, you are the funky, weird, and wonderful arcade-cave I’d always hoped to find.

Can I move in, please?

Next stop -> The 2017 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show (NWPAS) - Seattle, WA

#764 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

discuss how Canadian strippers deal with loonies.

can anyone impart some knowledge here please!? I need to know and now also NEED to go to a strip club in CAN!

Sweet stop over. I to absolutely love ADD-A-BALL

#765 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

can anyone impart some knowledge here please!? I need to know and now also NEED to go to a strip club in CAN!
    Sweet stop over. I to absolutely love ADD-A-BALL

Not that I know this firsthand... but apparently since loonies are coins it involves a tube, a game of catch, and, er, a suitable location for a hilly, convenient rebound.

#766 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Next stop -> The 2017 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show (NWPAS) - Seattle, WA

spoiler alert.... um.... that was last week.

#767 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Not that I know this firsthand... but apparently since loonies are coins it involves a tube, a game of catch, and, er, a suitable location for a hilly, convenient rebound.

takes making it rain to a whole new idea (and possibly painful situation)

#768 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Buccaneer. I spent most of my money playing it to light up all the numbers and earn a special. It played well… wished there were a few more.

YOU LIKED A SEQUENCE GAME! HA!!!

#769 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

YOU LIKED A SEQUENCE GAME! HA!!!

YEP, CAUSE MONEYS! :p :p

I really wish pinball was legal for payout play.

Quoted from Whysnow:

takes making it rain to a whole new idea (and possibly painful situation)

I would think a gentle lob would be much more polite than a side toss.

Quoted from balzofsteel:

spoiler alert.... um.... that was last week.

Yep... and yer in it! :p

#770 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

YEP, CAUSE MONEYS! :p :p

So your aversion to sequence games is just those on free play in home collections? What if I charge you a nickel or two to play?

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

These are all true, Canadian places can get quite "racy". Loonies have several good uses!

#772 6 years ago

Hey folks, a little birdy recently whispered something in my ear during beer-o-clock with Brian and Kathy...

IMG_2255 (resized).JPGIMG_2255 (resized).JPG

A second (and probably final) run of tour tees will soon be available. Seems a lot of folks missed out on the first run (which ended before the tour got rolling!). More details coming soon...

#773 6 years ago

Alright, back by popular demand...

NicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpgNicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpg

http://www.elephanteater.com/12617

...logistics and pre-order button are at that ^^^ link. We gotta get 10 pre-orders by the end of Thursday, June 29th, in order to make another go, though.

Best,
    Ryan

#774 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

order to make another go

I was hoping for such
    I will be going to the site to make an order.
    Put me down for an XL.
    cheers

#775 6 years ago

NicoVolta - would you say there were >5 EM games at either the 8-bit or the Add-A-Ball? If so, I want to add them to RyanC's EMs on location thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electro-mechanical-location-pinball-and-arcade-games

I've been enjoying your updates and pics.

#776 6 years ago

pre-ordered a shirt.
    I've been following this thread and finding it quite enjoyable.

I saw a cordless Dremel in a pawn shop NIB & seemed like it had a decent price on it so I snagged it to only find I paid a few pennies more for it than had I bought it on Amazon for instance. https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7700-1-15-MultiPro-7-2-Volt/dp/B002BACCDA

The "magic brush" I got from Harbor freight works ok https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-stainless-steel-wheel-and-brush-set-66129.html I haven't had a chance to compare it the the Dremel branded one.

only done 5 relays with it so far as needed. A lot easier than I thought. still looking forward to the video's

#777 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

nicovolta - would you say there were >5 EM games at either the 8-bit or the Add-A-Ball? If so, I want to add them to RyanC's EMs on location thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electro-mechanical-location-pinball-and-arcade-games

I wouldn't add either location just yet.

Add-A-Ball only has two that I can recall.

8-Bit technically has about six or so... but I don't think any are pins and condition is a bit spotty. One didn't coin up at all.

Quoted from chas10e:

pre-ordered a shirt.
    I've been following this thread and finding it quite enjoyable.
    I saw a cordless Dremel in a pawn shop NIB & seemed like it had a decent price on it so I snagged it to only find I paid a few pennies more for it than had I bought it on Amazon for instance. amazon.com link »
    The "magic brush" I got from Harbor freight works ok https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-stainless-steel-wheel-and-brush-set-66129.html I haven't had a chance to compare it the the Dremel branded one.
    only done 5 relays with it so far as needed. A lot easier than I thought. still looking forward to the video's

New videos are coming! If you subscribe to my YouTube page it will notify you when they are online...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp4i1YLUr26cDnXT1noxukw?&ab_channel=Nic%27sAmazingPinballChannel

#778 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

1-2-3-4 barcades in a single day -> Seattle, WA

Nearby, Atari’s best all-time racing game 3-player Super Sprint sits next to a Ringer EM. It’s amazing how simple yet fun Ringer can be.

ADD-A-BALL! One seriously funky cool neighborhood barcade. Also with a Ringer!

Add-A-Ball has mastered the art of the venue. As you can see, we have been led into a strange underground room reminiscent of a 1970’s sci-fi action series.

Wow, a lot of old "Ringer" and "Penny Pitch" games are popping up as of late. Now if CPR or PR would make replacement glass for them ...

#779 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

nicovolta - would you say there were >5 EM games at either the 8-bit or the Add-A-Ball? If so, I want to add them to RyanC's EMs on location thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electro-mechanical-location-pinball-and-arcade-games

Was thinking the same thing but too lazy to post. Thanks for chiming in here JeffC.

#780 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

http://www.elephanteater.com/12617
    ...logistics and pre-order button are at that ^^^ link. We gotta get 10 pre-orders by the end of Thursday, June 29th, in order to make another go, though

Nic's Tour T-Shirt would make a great Fathers Day gift!!!

#781 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Wow, a lot of old "Ringer" and "Penny Pitch" games are popping up as of late. Now if CPR or PR would make replacement glass for them ...

More a question if Shay or Webb would be willing. But I think you will need to find at least 20 committed buyers for it to proceeded. And just a guess here, due to it's size, expect to pay about double the current price of a normal sized backglass. Therefore, I would think the number just shrank to less than 5 willing to spend $650+ plus shipping (which won't be cheap either!).

Which makes it more a direct print on Plexiglass type project. So maybe BGresto.com?

#782 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

More a question if Shay or Webb would be willing. But I think you will need to find at least 20 committed buyers for it to proceeded. And just a guess here, due to it's size, expect to pay about double the current price of a normal sized backglass. Therefore, I would think the number just shrank to less than 5 willing to spend $650+ plus shipping (which won't be cheap either!).
    Which makes it more a direct print on Plexiglass type project. So maybe BGresto.com?

BG Resto has already done both.

#783 6 years ago

The 2017 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show (NWPAS) -> Seattle, WA

The subjects: Too many to list!

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

Shhhhhh! I’m doing my best to remain incognito. I’m staying with fellow Pinsider and volunteer Ron (@HighVoltage) at the hotel. I’ll gladly fix things… but quietly… quietly… gotta take some time off to have fun and relax…

1x (resized).JPG1x (resized).JPG

Déjà vu! Ron brought his Interflip Dragon, just as nice as the one I’d seen earlier in Edmonton. We outfitted it with the stealth LED treatment (warm white frosteds) and it looked glorious on the floor compared to its neighbors. The downside, of course, was that it received more play and thus wear and tear. Sorry Ron.

“Hey… aren’t you….?”

Incognito mode: Busted! I was quickly spotted by Dan (@Borgdog). Note the colorful array of games in the background.

Dan contributed a bit of his own matching-color-fun to the show: Gottlieb’s Golden Arrow in very nice condition.

“Hey Nic!”

Well well well if it isn’t our own Barry Flagg (@bflagg) from Texas! He traveled a long way to see the show… and volunteer too!

Whatta guy!

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

On a nearby EM, Tim Leonard had been fussing over a schematic with local pal Dominique John. The player-up function wasn’t stepping up correctly. I hadn’t met either one of these guys before, so it was a fun opportunity to walk right up and say, “Hi fellas… just close this switch right here. Boom… done.”

Hahaha it was perfect timing… but in truth Tim and Dominique would have found it before long. Sometimes all you need is an extra pair of eyes. BTW, Tim gets the “Robert Plant” comparison all the time… but let’s face it… it’s a pretty awesome likeness to have.

My favorite wedgehead was nearby so I had to give it a spin. Hot damn! This 2001 was playing great! Silky mechs, good feedback, confident score reel clicks, strong rebounds, all the right stuff.

Clearly, the homework under the hood had been done. Not just fixed, not just shopped, but fully rebuilt… the way it should be.

I noticed several adjacent EM’s were playing just as well. Each had the same owner’s name on a business card: Tim Meighan.

Tim Meighan is a local pinball fixer/restorer in Seattle. I met him while he was explaining the configuration of the spinner unit inside of a Spin-A-Card. It’s always nice to see friendly and enthusiastic EM techs sharing their knowledge with others. It helps keep the hobby rolling, literally.

The only thing I could think of saying was to pay him my highest compliment, “Tim, your games play like mine do!”

Quality work = quality play. Not everyone consciously notices it, but if so, it's a thing you can feel through the whole machine.

Howdy pardner! Here’s one of those cool 60’s Bally zipper-flippers you don’t see every day… a 1967 Bally Dogies. Backglass on this one was nearly perfect. Pretty uncommon to see one that nice.

I caught up with Dominique a bit later to see his custom EM, Galactic Girl. No, it didn’t have plastics. Yes, it uses a goofy collection of pop bumper caps. Yes, it had a silly $500,000 price tag on it. But… we need to take a serious dramatic pause moment here because…

….
    ….
    ….wait for it…
    ….
    ….

…this is a working, playable, fun, complex, innovative, unique, not-a-retheme, true EM built from scratch.

You’ve probably seen plenty of custom games at shows before. Many are half-finished projects or re-themes which don’t flip very well, right? Right. And that’s cool… because pinball is pretty damn complicated. We must remember it took teams of people to design them, test them, and produce them. Making your own is almost like building a car from scratch. It’s just an enormously complicated process for one person to finish.

Well, over a three year period, Dominique finished it. And did so AS AN ORIGINAL EM. He appropriated parts from different pinball manufacturers and used every square inch of available space to do it.

13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG

So much space, in fact, that the chime bars had to be mounted on the door!

But I digress… Galactic Girl not only works, not only flips well, but features innovative things I don’t believe any EM has ever achieved before.

For example, you can get a three-ball multiball, but if you lose one ball the flippers will go dead and you will be returned to one-ball play… without having the ball subtracted from your reserve.

The top arch has movable gates which can swing open/shut for limited “around the world” shots to increase multipliers.

If you build up your bonus high enough (like Space Invaders and Playboy), it will “stick” and be scored on each ball for the rest of the game.

No outlanes exist, but the drain-rate is surprisingly balanced throughout the game.

You must decide how many balls to purchase at the start of the game, which can affect how much you can achieve.

It has a fire bell inside which rings when multiball starts… which is just cool.

14 (resized).JPG14 (resized).JPG

The schematic wraps around upon itself, but is nevertheless complete and expertly detailed. I urged him to make a copy ASAP.

Galactic Girl is not a game to be underestimated. It is an astonishing achievement, made moreso by the fact that it was done without the assistance of virtual pinball simulators or a team of helpers.

If you ever see it in person, ask Dominique to explain the rules and spend some time with it. If you can get into its depth, it’ll make an impression upon you… guaranteed.

16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG

Local pinball/arcade collector and ex-NBA star Todd MacCulloch (PinGiant - my next visit) attempts to foil Houdini’s magic reverse-inverted-flippers by switching hands. Alas, Houdini had the last evil laugh.

17 (resized).JPG17 (resized).JPG

“Yo Nic!”

Ex-Texan Greg (@Gsones) bidded me hello. He’s digging life up here in the north. Frankly I felt a bit envious, but then again Washington is the best place in the world to be in June.

18 (resized).JPG18 (resized).JPG

Another Pinsider joined the focus of my selfie-cam arm… this time it was Mark (@Balzofsteel) stopping in to say hello.

19 (resized).JPG19 (resized).JPG

I was extremely impressed with the Total Annihilation custom machine at TPF this year, but it seems Tacoma’s NWPAS is giving us a run for the money. Josiah Cox (@Josiahcox) and Steve Prehoda showcased a fabulous EM-to-SS conversion of a Zaccaria Combat using FAST pinball hardware and the Mission Pinball software framework.

Scowl not, EM-fans. This conversion was done to save Combat (and its beautifully silkscreened cabinet) from the parts pile. The backglass of the original game was shot, along with the internal parts which were rusted and broken. It was beyond saving as an EM. But as an SS it not only lives again, but adds extra features and multiball too!

Josiah and Steve give a detailed tour of “New Combat” in this interview...

20 (resized).JPG20 (resized).JPG

I was impressed with the overall quality of games at NWPAS, including this Stunt Cycle. I remember this game completely confounded me as a kid (I could only make the bike crash). Today, I think I got up to 19 buses.

21 (resized).JPG21 (resized).JPG

Space Encounters played perfectly and the marquee light was bright and reactive on cue. I love games which combine video with environmental EM elements like this. It really adds to the experience.

22 (resized).JPG22 (resized).JPG

“Are you experienced?”

Naturally, this theme was entirely appropriate in Washington.

23 (resized).JPG23 (resized).JPG

“Dude, wouldn’t it be cool to, like, shoot a pinball into a bong?”

Sometimes, late night stoner ideas really do come true!

24 (resized).JPG24 (resized).JPG

Have you noticed the bigger-is-better retro classic trend in amusement technology? Space Invaders gets its turn with the Huge-O-Matic screen treatment and everyone lined up to play it.

I have my own ideas of how to apply this trend to EM pinball. It involves animatronics, smoke, balloons, and pneumatic cannons which launch bean bags. Totally not kidding... this needs to happen.

25 (resized).JPG25 (resized).JPG

NWPAS offered so much more than what I could possibly cover here. The quality of the games was much better than expected overall and Seattle weather in June is just perfect if you decide to attend the show. Lots to see and do around town.

And now… this cat is getting tired… if I don’t exercise and eat well I’ll run out of steam... gotta hit the treadmill to level-up again...

Next stop -> Todd MacCulloch in Bainbridge Island, WA

#784 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Howdy pardner! Here’s one of those cool 60’s Bally zipper-flippers you don’t see every day… a 1967 Bally Dogies.

Did all Ballys of that era have the lime green apron & metalwork? Have only recently seen it on Rocket III, Cosmos, Bowl-O now Dogies...

#785 6 years ago

Surfers has the lime green too.

#786 6 years ago

It might be a homage to the artist Kelly. He used that
    color a lot during his Bally days. I know Bally Fireball is yellow
    and the art is not by Kelly but Christensen.

#787 6 years ago

Good to see you Nic! I try to get back up there for the show when I can, lots of good people there. Have a safe and fun rest of your journey! Enjoying this thread.

#788 6 years ago

Can someone explain what's happening on that Dogies backglass? Why is it called Dogies?

#789 6 years ago

Cattle drive. Get along little dogies.

#790 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Cattle drive. Get along little dogies.

*ahem*, "git"

#792 6 years ago

Dogies are motherless calves, or neglected calves.

#793 6 years ago

Ok thanks. I'm also wondering about the details in the Dogies backglass. Is the man holding the right reign with his left hand and falling off the horse? These look like bulls to me and not calves. Looks like he's rubbing his back on the bull?? Is he shooting a gun in his right hand? I guess what I'm saying is the pic makes no sense to me so wondering what I'm missing here and what others might see.

#794 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Ok thanks. I'm also wondering about the details in the Dogies backglass. Is the man holding the right reign with his left hand and falling off the horse? These look like bulls to me and not calves. Looks like he's rubbing his back on the bull?? Is he shooting a gun in his right hand? I guess what I'm saying is the pic makes no sense to me so wondering what I'm missing here and what others might see.

It looks to me like he shot the tip of his boot off. That "Dogie" under the 4th player has one strange looking face!

#795 6 years ago

To me it looks like the cowboy was in a gunfight with a cattle rustler in the distance just as he was getting knocked off his horse by a dogie stampede.

Oddly angular artwork, but it doesn't put me off.

#796 6 years ago

(or maybe he is the cattle rustler?)

BTW, a number of Ballys from this era have an extra set of scoring reels:

Dogies has "Cactus Juice"
    Capersville has "Sea Ray Super Bonus Caper"
    The Wiggler has "Wiggle Jet Super Bonus"
    Rockmakers has "Rock-A-Rock"

Then with a few others like Safari and Cosmos they went to a single extra digit per player before phasing it out.

Pretty sure the point was to offer an extra opportunity to earn a special by completing specific goals (outside of points/match/lit rollovers).

#797 6 years ago

Nic
    You hit California yet?
    Just in time for a heat wave.
    We are still cooling our heels
    in the High 70s/low 80s here in the NW.

#798 6 years ago

Nic- Enjoying following this thread and I am picking up quite a few tips.
    Since we are talking about 60's Bally zipper flipper games, I am curious if any other Bally titles (besides Surfers that I am restoring) have a lighted credit insert in the apron. The insert on Surfers is yellow and located on the right side of the apron above the game pricing card holder. From my initial research on Ipdb, I don't see another game that has it. This insert became clear and moved to the left side sometime in the early 70's.

#799 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

I am curious if any other Bally titles (besides Surfers that I am restoring) have a lighted credit insert in the apron.

Like this on Rocket III? It's one of the last features I have left to fix, the lamp and holder is good but it doesn't light when I have Replays on the stepper. I assume it's just wired to one of the leaf switches that closes when the Replays are > 1 but I cant find this lamp at all on the schematic.

The card says 5NP for 2 games which is pretty cheap these days, I still start it now with some old 5 New Ps!

20170507_160311 (resized).jpg20170507_160311 (resized).jpg

#800 6 years ago

This is an excellent thread, wish I lived in the USA........... Anyone fancy taking in an immigrant from England???

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/16?hl=stubbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.