"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders.

By NicoVolta

3 months ago

Stats

• Started 3 months ago
  • 582 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Whysnow

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

Stuff2 (resized).jpg
24 (resized).JPG
23 (resized).JPG
22 (resized).JPG
19 (resized).JPG
21 (resized).JPG
20 (resized).JPG
18 (resized).JPG
17 (resized).JPG
16 (resized).JPG

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

There are 582 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
    #501 7 days ago

I think Nick deserves a special award for successfully promoting a widespread increase in switch hygiene.

#502 7 days ago

Stocks in Dremel will rise high because of @nicovolta Jedi teaching skills.
    I for one bought the 8200 with a bunch of #443 today.

#503 6 days ago

When you shove a dremel brush in those switches, does it screw up the gaps? Do you have to adjust them after cleaning? What exactly is the best technique for the magic brush approach?

#504 6 days ago

If you are heading West and come through Sacramento California at some point, I would be interested in having you stop by. I only have 5 machines, and only 4 are EM. Two of the four need minor "fixes", but the fourth is a 1950 Spot Bowler I rescued and it needs lots of help.

#505 6 days ago
    Quoted from pmdub:

When you shove a dremel brush in those switches, does it screw up the gaps? Do you have to adjust them after cleaning? What exactly is the best technique for the magic brush approach?

Nic - Is it possible to post a video showing the technique of 'The Brush'?

#506 6 days ago
    Quoted from pmdub:

Quoted from jeffc:

Nic - Is it possible to post a video showing the technique of 'The Brush'?

Videos will be posted after the tour. In the meantime, the brush can access some switches in place but Gottlieb relays are too tight for that. The switch stacks must be removed, cleaned, and then re-gapped when inserted back in the bracket.

I have a full procedure ("relay theory") which encompasses the entire process. Will get it online after the tour.

In general, never "shove" the brush anywhere if the gaps are too small for it.

#507 6 days ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Stocks in Dremel will rise high because of nicovolta Jedi teaching skills.
    I for one bought the 8200 with a bunch of #443 today.

Yeah I jumped on Amazon as soon as I saw the magic. Same price as Home Cheapo, but more options on the bits. So it takes a few more days, but I just saved an hour of dragging my azz to the mall fighting with the Soccer Mom's loading up half a Nursery in their Honda Odyssey with trees sticking out their back windows.... Don't they know those were designed with fold down seats to Haul pins ????

#508 6 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Videos will be posted after the tour. In the meantime, the brush can access some switches in place but Gottlieb relays are too tight for that. The switch stacks must be removed, cleaned, and then re-gapped when inserted back in the bracket.
    I have a full procedure ("relay theory") which encompasses the entire process. Will get it online after the tour.
    In general, never "shove" the brush anywhere if the gaps are too small for it.

I've used this technique on the past few games I've been working on. They have been williams and sonic games. I found most relays can be gently cleaned in place, while small relay must be taken apart as Nic says. It's way easier to do williams score motors pulling one stack at a time, cleaning and adjusting if necessary. Out of the hundreds of switches I've cleaned maybe 10 or so needed adjustment. Except score reels of course. So much fun!

Hey Nic, are you still going to make the NW show?

#509 6 days ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Don't they know those were designed with fold down seats to Haul pins ????

They are called climate controlled pinball haulers.... I just bought one for the wifey... she said we could get an SUV but.... those can't hold two pins or two pins easily...

#510 6 days ago
    Quoted from bflagg:

Hey Nic, are you still going to make the NW show?

Yes indeedy!

#512 6 days ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I think Nick deserves a special award for successfully promoting a widespread increase in switch hygiene.

No doubt the best way to clean switches. Been doing it this way for quite some time. Access can be a little bit of an issue at times, and may require a little extensive disassembly, but it's worth doing.

#513 5 days ago

Visit #16 -> Matt Szewczyk in Warwick, RI

The subjects: Grand Prix, Astro, World Series

1 (resized).JPG

I felt a sense of satisfaction when I arrived at Matt’s door. Warwick sits at the tail-end of the REGION 2 (East/Northeast Coast) segment of the Tour, completed on time as planned. YES! (and *whew*)

Before I could suggest a celebratory plan of action, Matt chose one for me: “We’re going out for a local delicacy… weiners and coffee milk!”

I asked, “You mean like hot dogs?”

Matt replied, “No… WEINERS. It’s the *snap*, yanno?”

I did not know… and would soon learn a new thing about this part of the country. But we’ll get into that later.

2 (resized).JPG

A door led us downstairs into Matt’s arcave. A gigantic Patriots victory poster greeted everyone who entered, right in the face. I immediately thought of Bryan, who would not have been pleased.

3 (resized).JPG

Matt is a Star Dad, with Star Wars posters and figures everywhere. He earned extra bonus points for a Big Trouble in Little China poster, one of my old favorites.

3aa (resized).jpg

Nic Fact: I have been known to dress as “Lo Pan” from time to time.

3bb (resized).JPG

3b (resized).JPG

3c (resized).JPG

Matt’s son is, not coincidentally, a Star Kid. The Force is obviously with you, kiddo!

4 (resized).JPG

Matt’s basement arcave is mostly EM’s. He did well in terms of per-unit acquisition costs… snapping up seven at once from an older collector as a package deal.

In the background, Buck Rogers is the kid favorite. It has a custom sound board which is extremely squealy/beepy and LOUD. Kids just love that stuff.

5 (resized).JPG

With only a few hours to spare, we focused upon the high-level issues.

Grand Prix had a flaky left flipper. Initially the EOS switch was suspect, but the flipper shaft was the real culprit. A few extra turns on the screws tightened it down again. Easy peasy.

6 (resized).JPG

Next, Matt’s baby… Astro, the Add-A-Ball version of 4 Square. With only 500 produced it is an uncommon sight. I did see one in Bryan’s collection however, which is further evidence that the northeast must be hogging all of the elusive pins!

7 (resized).JPG

Astro had a sticking pop ring. Time to break out the rebuild kit.

8 (resized).JPG

The official Gottlieb part number referenced a light green skirt. But I’ve never seen a light green skirt look as good as the darker variety. Matt agreed, and we stuck with the darker ones after cleaning them up.

9 (resized).JPG

Flaky lamp sockets begged for the “tip solder” trick.

10 (resized).JPG

What we found underneath, however, was the half-ass version of the fix. The wire hadn’t been soldered to the tip. Instead, a blob of solder was melted to the tab. Which technically worked… BUT… rendered the bulb immobile! All of the lamp sockets were done this way… arrrgh! Solder sucker to the rescue.

11 (resized).JPG

We found a, um, “unlisted Gottlieb part” lurking in the harness. Glad it hadn’t shorted out the game after all this time!

12 (resized).JPG

When coil sleeves stick, it is time to use the socket trick! A little tapping and the sleeve was freed.

13 (resized).JPG

Don’t forget to polish those pop rings. They not only look better but will slide through the playfield more easily when clean.

14 (resized).JPG

Always be –skirt stem- mindful of –skirt stem- the plastic -skirt stem- when soldering the lamp socket. One slip, and you’ll melt right through it!

Eyes on the skirt stem! Eyes on! Luckily no slip-ups for the Astro trio.

15 (resized).JPG

Time was waning, but there was enough left to completely rebuild a gunked-up roto-target for World Series. WD-40, I know you were here. Don’t even try to hide.

16 (resized).JPG

Novus 2, the fantastic plastic polish, brightened up the targets nicely. You can also use it to polish the backside of your playfield plastics. Use light pressure with a microfiber towel... works great! But always watch carefully as you go, just in case.

17 (resized).JPG

Take note, Mother’s Mag Polishers! You may not ever see your gear axles in operation, but they are nevertheless an ideal subject for polishing. Always polish the shafts! It will get your gears moving more smoothly than cleaning with alcohol alone. Then follow with a light coating of 3-in-1 if you please (q-tip on, q-tip spread and clean).

18 (resized).JPG

Roto-target was beautifully rebuilt, but the base runners weren’t progressing correctly. World Series/Grand Slam uses a trio of interlocking relays to track the base runners. Oftentimes these are dirty and stick… which was the case here. A quick cleaning of the edges and burnishing with the Magic Brush made them clicky again.

19 (resized).JPG

Time for an EM Home Challenge update! My record falls again, now 10-4, to a crushing victory by Matt. He rolled the score easily whereas I never even finished spelling “STAR TREK” for extra balls.

Kudos to Matt who possesses fearsome EM-skills! Beware… he’s a tough competitor in EM-tourneys.

20 (resized).JPG

It is now time for us to contemplate the gastronomic delicacy known as “wieners and coffee milk”. Indeed, this is a fairly popular “Providence thing” which hasn’t spread far beyond Rhode Island territory... yet? Matt’s daughter provides the hilarious confirmation that, perhaps, it might never do so. HA!!!

Actually, it wasn't bad. It's the Rhode Island version of "burger and shake".

The wieners had “snap” as promised and were decorated with ground beef, celery salt, raw onions, and mustard/ketchup. Pretty good, but I was most curious about this thing called coffee milk. It was indeed milk, but with a melted Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream flavor. Again, pretty good, but combining the two together was... unexpected.

Imagine a pair of seasoned, onion-y weiners floating in a warm fleshy bowl of coffee milk. That was my stomach. Probably for the best I slept alone that night.

Next stop -> REGION 3 starting with Rochester, NY

#514 5 days ago

...aaaand we are now underway with REGION 3 - Upper Midwest & Canada!

As usual, the map does not indicate every stop along the route. Plenty a-going along the way, stay tuned.

region 3 (resized).jpg

#515 5 days ago

the distance leg of the trip awaits!

I need to get some crap done soon!!! yikes.

Was I supposed to order and specific parts in advance...

#516 5 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Flaky lamp sockets begged for the “tip solder” trick.

Hey Nic, fun reading your adventures, and thanks for the lamp socket tip solder trick, I had not seen that before reading it here, but worked great to fix up a flaky light on my Joker Poker (ss version) last night. I'll say hi and thank you in person if I see you at NWPAS.

#517 5 days ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Hey Nic, fun reading your adventures, and thanks for the lamp socket tip solder trick, I had not seen that before reading it here, but worked great to fix up a flaky light on my Joker Poker (ss version) last night. I'll say hi and thank you in person if I see you at NWPAS.

I need to try it on my joker poker as well. Today is my Nic day. anxiously awaiting his arrival.

#518 5 days ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I need to try it on my joker poker as well. Today is my Nic day. anxiously awaiting his arrival.

Today is? I'm guessing his updates must be way behind then since his most recent update is from Rhode Island.

#519 5 days ago

I saw the picture and thought "wieners and coffee milk, that face says it all" then you beat me to it.

IMG_2898 (resized).PNG

#520 5 days ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Today is? I'm guessing his updates must be way behind then since his most recent update is from Rhode Island.

Yep running a few days behind.

#521 5 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

As usual, the map does not indicate every stop along the route

When entering Canada, do not tell the customs agent that you will be doing any work in Canada. You will need to supply a reason why you are trying to enter Canada.

That is a really nice, long drive that you have planned, be prepared for plenty of scenery, large stretches of fields of wheat, canola, etc. Then in British Columbia, mountains as far as the eye can see, and possibly some snow in the mountain passes. Very enjoyable to say the least.

#522 5 days ago

Nic,

Thanks for the visit and I am glad the wieners and coffee milk didn't cause too much damage. That may have been Lillian's first time getting wieners there too since we usually go there right before pinball league next door.

We rebuilt all three Astro pop bumpers and they work like a charm, almost makes it a new game.

Now that the Roto-target is working I ordered a flipper rebuild kit and just got down installing them. The game plays like a dream now.

I also changed the post caps in Grand Prix from the plastics ones to the polished chrome and, combined with the new rubber set, makes for a fine looking EM.

-Matt

#523 4 days ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I also changed the post caps in Grand Prix from the plastics ones to the polished chrome

#524 4 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Videos will be posted after the tour

Nic...in the mean time, could you comment on how long your 443 brushes last? I ordered 2 original from Amazon, and find the little wires have been slowly coming off my first brush (I assume safety glasses are a good idea) and now its just a few little wires. Seems to still be cleaning, but I think it will soon just be the shaft, and I haven't done too many contacts. (But they do look lovely!)

Any thoughts given you are the 443 king!

Thanks

#525 4 days ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Nic...in the mean time, could you comment on how long your 443 brushes last? I ordered 2 original from Amazon, and find the little wires have been slowly coming off my first brush (I assume safety glasses are a good idea) and now its just a few little wires. Seems to still be cleaning, but I think it will soon just be the shaft, and I haven't done too many contacts. (But they do look lovely!)
    Any thoughts given you are the 443 king!
    Thanks

That is odd... one brush should last a long time. I've been using the same one for a year! It shouldn't shed like the wire pinwheels do... it's a tough little bugger. Lasts forever.

Did you buy the Dremel brand? I've heard the generic knockoffs come apart quickly (have not verified if this is true).

#526 4 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I've heard the generic knockoffs come apart quickly (have not verified if this is true).

The Harbor Frieght one I had lasted about 3 shop jobs, the Dremel I have now is about like new.. they are way tougher..

#527 4 days ago

Since auto-correct REALLY wants to put a "k" at the end of your name, can i just call you Lo Pan from now on?

Really enjoying this trip of yours. Next time maybe you need your own Neal Cassidy type character to eat up the road for you while you write and take in the scenery?

I am forever indebted to you for the magic brush tip alone. (Is it normal for the bristles to immediately wrap into a cone shape around the shaft?) I wish you could be here for Pin-a-go-go! Ah well, happy trails to you.

#528 4 days ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Since auto-correct REALLY wants to put a "k" at the end of your name, can i just call you Lo Pan from now on?
    Really enjoying this trip of yours. Next time maybe you need your own Neal Cassidy type character to eat up the road for you while you write and take in the scenery?
    I am forever indebted to you for the magic brush tip alone. (Is it normal for the bristles to immediately wrap into a cone shape around the shaft?) I wish you could be here for Pin-a-go-go! Ah well, happy trails to you.

It looked to me like the cone shape is normal. I won't say much til Nic gets caught up in the write up, Just HUGE thanks. And what a great and very knowledgeable guy. Irregardless of anything else (inside joke)

#529 4 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Did you buy the Dremel brand?

I thought I did, I bought these:

amazon.com link »

Interesting one of the reviews states:

"Great for fine detail. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES!!! Small "splinters" will break off so make sure to protect your eyes."

Here's mine, the bottom one is obivoulsy the one that has lost its wires, after little use - maybe a couple of dozen contacts (top one is brand new after one "spin")

IMG_4531 (resized).JPG

Nic/Zen, did you buy yours from somewhere else than Amazon?

#530 4 days ago

Looking at the photos; are you using the tip of the brush like a pen? I have the same brushes and use the side of the brush to clean the contacts and they still look like new.

#531 4 days ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Nic/Zen, did you buy yours from somewhere else than Amazon?

I bought mine from Amazon and they arrived in Dremel packaging.

I've never seen one fan out like that. How high is your spin speed? I rarely turn mine beyond 10-15 on the Dremel dial (different models have different speeds... mine is the 8220).

All of mine resemble the bottom one after using it for a while. It keeps its shape for a long time.

#532 4 days ago

Some time back I thought to myself, this thread couldn't get any better. But it just keeps getting even better all the time!

And I recommend to take Darcy's recommendation seriously. I have traveled to quite a few places worldwide and the only issues I have ever had with customs have been with Canada - multiple times. I love our Canadian friends but those customs agents can be real dickwads.

#533 4 days ago

It was a pleasure having Nic visit! Dana and I were psyched to show him around our quaint little town. He definitely gave me some quality insight on tackling EM projects. You're welcome back any time Nic!
    Mark
    Flip Side

#534 4 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I rarely turn mine beyond 10-15

Ah, that could be it. I had mine on maximum! I'll turn it down and see how we go.

(I never really know what speeds to use, except plastic cutting should be slower)

Thanks, Nic - love this whole thread.

#535 4 days ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Ah, that could be it. I had mine on maximum! I'll turn it down and see how we go.
    (I never really know what speeds to use, except plastic cutting should be slower)
    Thanks, Nic - love this whole thread.

It definitely won't take as long on maximum

#536 4 days ago

Ok...so is KC on the docket? Good B-B-Q, 10 GTB woodrails and a Kings and Queens at my place. Plenty of work.

#537 4 days ago

Visit #17 -> Gerry, Martin, and the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, NY (part 1 of 2)

The subjects: Too many to count!

Remember Martin? From my Melbourne class in Florida? Turns out he has The Most Awesome Job On Planet Earth. Martin is the lead technician at the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, NY.

A museum of… play? A whole museum dedicated to HAVING FUN?

OH yeah. We're so doing this.

1 (resized).JPG

A sweet entrance awaits. Oh, but this is only the beginning, folks. There is… so… much… more….

2 (resized).JPG

Big Daddy Stern donated a few machines to the museum. All of which run on tokens, purchasable at the token dispenser just like nature intended.

3 (resized).JPG

A tilting 2-player Challenger sits next to the original (and playable) Lord of the Rings whitewood prototype. Which sits next to the finished production version. It, along with Hercules, are the two most popular machines here.

Hobbits and hugeness, go figure. We humans love our contrasts.

4 (resized).JPG

Atari pinball, Stern pinball, Williams pinball, Gottlieb pinball… diversity is good.

5 (resized).JPG

Bally, Jersey Jack, the vertically-aspiring Banzai Run, and several more along this row.

6 (resized).JPG

Widdle virtual, meet big analog! Both manufactured by Atari during the arcade golden years.

Check out that Hercules topper! Not often seen, that one. Yes, I am old enough to remember it.

7 (resized).JPG

Can’t forget the EM’s, right? Not one, but two Williams reverse-wedges. One of which made me stop and consider…

8 (resized).JPG

…oh dear. I am a pinball vagabond, plying my trade along life’s railroad tracks. But at least I shower and floss regularly.

9 (resized).JPG

An adjoining area illustrates the evolution of pinball. All were in stellar condition… I was tempted to leap the divider and play them.

10 (resized).JPG

A wall display contained playfield sketches by none other than Harry Williams.

11 (resized).JPG

On the opposite wall, a transparent display allowed visitors to activate various pinball components and learn how the mechanisms worked.

12 (resized).JPG

But what about video games? "Oh, you'll have to visit our “other arcade” upstairs”.

"Other arcade?"

Is there anything better than reaching the end of an arcade, and hearing that? Just like Christmas.

13 (resized).JPG

Lots of uncommon ones in here, including the hallowed 2-player Fire Truck. Yay! I also found an Assault, Zoo Keeper, Food Fight, and several other nice ones.

14 (resized).JPG

Let’s not forget arcade games came in EM-flavors too. This Chicago Coin “Drive Master” used an extremely innovative projection system to simulate a road race on a projection screen.

15 (resized).JPG

Up close, you can see how the core gameplay works. The steering wheel operates a stylus which scores points if it stays within the metal “road” track. Admittedly, when I first learned this, some of the magic of innocence was lost.

16 (resized).JPG

The Atomic Bomber instruction card says “practice makes perfect”. Let’s hope not!

17 (resized).JPG

This SEGA Gun Fight could not possibly be any cuter. As the cowboys blast away at each other, the cactus tops fold down when they get hit. Then their knees follow… guh! Got muh!

18 (resized).JPG

In the project room, an Undersea Raider and SkyFighter await restoration. Oftentimes the gameplay never lived up to the quality of the cabinet art on these oldies, but still, THAT ART! Greatness.

19 (resized).JPG

Apparently this is the world’s only functioning Maze Invaders. Which is a good thing. Terrible game.

20 (resized).JPG

I’m a sucker for vintage space race-era games with metal sticks and buttons. Just touching the thing evoked memories of the Cold War.

21 (resized).JPG

Many of these games have old MOOG-era sound effects… eeeOEoeoEEOEoOEoooo. It lends a fascinatingly creepy/living quality to these hunks of metal.

22 (resized).JPG

Witch Hunt! Whatever happened to these awesome rifle games? Remember “Shoot Away” the skeet rifle game? No trick-stylus behind the scenes here… these games were true projection light guns. Lots of fun.

(part 2 to be continued…)

#538 4 days ago

I have some really great memories playing Fire Truck as a kid. Thanks for jogging my memory on that one. Also this thread is awesome.

#539 3 days ago

When we stopped at the museum on our way to Ohio last summer I had no idea that there was a pinball room. What a great surprise to take that corner (after walking through a cool superhero area) and seeing those flipper benches!

If I recall correctly the had a room on the first floor with four pinball machines and a Space Invader game that projected on the entire wall with oversized controllers. Then there was the pinball area and then another "arcade" upstairs with some more. It was like every corner had another great surprise!

#540 3 days ago

Visit #17 -> Gerry, Martin, and the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester

I though you were gonna post that pic of us naked !

But I understand that pic of me with my junk out might make people throw up.

#541 3 days ago

Here's an oldie of Nick, when he plays intensely we see bolts of electricity emanating from his head

nick (resized).jpg

#542 3 days ago

Visit #17 -> Gerry, Martin, and the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, NY (part 2 of 2)

The subjects: Too many to count!

1 (resized).JPG

Hey kids! Ready for round two? We shall now make a detour through Sesame Street.

2 (resized).JPG

The Strong Museum doesn’t stop with pinball and video games, but features *all* forms of play. Who doesn’t want to take a fantasy ship ride to an island of animatronic giants?

3 (resized).JPG

Although this Wegman’s store front appears normal in the photo, the whole store is half-size.

4 (resized).JPG

It was fun walking around inside feeling like a giant.

5 (resized).JPG

Let’s not forget the world of tabletop games. Some people chose the Hulla Baloo “electric teen game” back in the day, whereas I would have taken the Vac-U-Form route. This is one of the reasons why I became a pinball vagabond and they ended up with kids in the suburbs watching American Idol and mowing lawns.

5a (resized).jpg

*shrug* in the end, it all evens out. I think.

6 (resized).JPG

Vintage Candy Land and a Ms. Pac Man join others in the display.

8 (resized).JPG

DARK TOWER! I was lucky enough to have this game back in the day. The goal was to build up an army and survive the wilderness long enough to storm the Dark Tower and defeat the brigands inside. Magic, dragons, food caravans, sickness, random bits of luck all played a part. Brilliant design and lots of fun.

The first Monopoly. The museum paid a hefty price to acquire this artifact. The original board was round so it could be played around the dinner table.

10 (resized).JPG

Elephant, horse, bear, dog, and… chicken?

11 (resized).JPG

Lil’ woodcut homes and hotels, designed to slowly grind your opponents into the dust of captialism's might. A bit like what is happening to the entire middle class nowadays.

12 (resized).JPG

Rents look pretty consistent over the years.

13 (resized).JPG

I must say the early currency looked more legit.

14 (resized).JPG

Another hallowed artifact: Tennis For Two. Not a recreation, but the actual machine as originally created by physicist William Higinbotham. Video games, meet your great-great-grandpa.

15 (resized).JPG

Speaking of artifacts, these Atari games were liberated from the infamous landfill where millions of “E.T.” cartridges were dumped during the video game crash. Better left buried, methinks.

16 (resized).JPG

A custom electro-mechanical tic-tac-toe game (note rotary telephone controller) was designed by an extraordinarily ambitious teen.

18 (resized).JPG

Hoo boy. Where there’s a will… there’s a way.

19 (resized).JPG

I volunteered my troubleshooting skills to the ongoing preservation efforts. Bally’s Fireball wasn’t reliably kicking the ball into the shooter lane after locking it in Odin or Wotan.

20 (resized).JPG

After removing the apron, I found one of the “turnstiles” was acting a little too stingy. A little adjustment and it would be right as rain again.

21 (resized).JPG

Zach, Martin, and I stopped at a nearby barcade for trash tots, a BLT, and local brews. It was cold and rainy, so I set a new high score on Walking Dead just to spite the chill.

22 (resized).JPG

As for Gerry, I made a quick stop to say hello since he was directly on the route. I diagnosed a few issues with Dodge City and See Saw before remarking upon the third appearance of Cherry Bell. Indeed, it was the same as before… bought from Jeff at the Allentown show.

Small freakin’ world! Yet onward we must go…

Next stop -> Lansing, MI

#543 3 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Another hallowed artifact: Tennis For Two. Not a recreation, but the actual machine as originally created by physicist William Higinbotham. Video games, meet your great-great-grandpa.

That is THE coolest thing I have ever seen, EVER.

#544 3 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That is THE coolest thing I have ever seen, EVER.

Next to it sits Ralph Baer's work desk, complete with coffee mug, shoes, and soldering iron. *sniff*

#545 3 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

*shrug* in the end, it all evens out. I think.

I had too look online to find the source of that Krull artwork. I may have to order one of the T-shirts.

#546 3 days ago

Phenominal artifacts from an important era in gaming. Just great to see all the cool things they have preserved.

#547 2 days ago

Suddenly I feel a strong desire to visit Rochester.

#548 2 days ago

If you're in Lansing you must stop by the Golden Harvest !!! I guarantee it will be the best breakfast you ever had.

#549 2 days ago

Golden Harvest Restaurant
    1625 Turner St, Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 485-3663

https://goo.gl/maps/v5QV9n5k2Wr

#550 2 days ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

If you're in Lansing you must stop by the Golden Harvest !!! I guarantee it will be the best breakfast you ever had.

Quoted from Puffdanny:

Golden Harvest Restaurant
    1625 Turner St, Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 485-3663
    https://goo.gl/maps/v5QV9n5k2Wr

Some of the fun of road trips is finding neat diners to try out on he way. Too bad your route doesn't include I-40 from Barstow thru Arizona Nic. I recently tried a couple of Route 66 diners I would recommend. But when you do go thru Adrian TX on your route, you need to stop at the Mid-Point Cafe.

Cafe (resized).jpg

I'm sure you're going to get lots of recommendations for stops on the way though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 399.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 159.00
    $ 119.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 16.95
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Showbiz Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    There are 582 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.