Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nepi23
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    Nick (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I am wondering, how is it with NIB games - how ofter does one have
    to find that there is a nick/dent or two on the playfield?

Attached is a picture of one nick - I am planning the best action to take to hide the
    dent (I have no clue, was that on the NIB game or not). Any good tips on
    how to do it for a non-painter as myself would be welcome.

Nick (resized).jpgNick (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

It almost looks like when the guide was pounded in that it chipped off a piece of the playfield with it. I can see that clear is missing around the hole in addition to the chip. Did you or anybody else ever remove that guide, possibly while trying to raise it?

#3 7 years ago

The ball will never contact that spot.
    You could just put some paint there to touch it up or some bondo and then paint it I think.
    I'd check Vids guide to playfield restoration thread, it might be your ultimate answer.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It almost looks like when the guide was pounded in that it chipped off a piece of the playfield with it. I can see that clear is missing around the hole in addition to the chip. Did you or anybody else ever remove that guide, possibly while trying to raise it?

I have not myself done that, but I am the second owner, so it might be that the previous owner had tried to do that.

Thanks for the repair tips!

I am also surveying, how is it - do those dents take place also in NIB machines (I mean dents from the factory)?
    Is it common/does happen from time to time/never happens, quality control ensures it?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

The ball will never contact that spot.
    You could just put some paint there to touch it up

I would just touch it up. 2 colours plus a little clear, could be done fairly easily. Since the wire blocks it from the players view, mostly.

You know it is there, it might drive you crazy, that it is not 100%. Ultimately it will have to come down to you, deciding on how to handle this.

#6 7 years ago

I see the nick....not sure what dents you are talking about. Do you mean dimples?

#7 7 years ago

Looks like the barb on the wire guide chipped it when it went in. That is going to happen from time to time...but of course I wouldn't be happy if it were mine. Personally, I would stay away from that area with the wax, use a tiny dab of bondo to fill it and tape it off and either airbrush or just brush the black and purple back in and then dab some clear back over it. Should be a really small project, but be careful you don't overdo it and turn it into a bigger project. Whatever you do, DON"T try and pull the wireform back out. It will do more damage.

#8 7 years ago

what's with the clear coat on this playfield? it looks like it was applied with a cheap chip brush

or was this photo taken after applying some wax but before buffing it out?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

what's with the clear coat on this playfield? it looks like it was applied with a cheap chip brush

That definitely looks like some type of wax.

#10 7 years ago

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, but this is how I'd tackle it:

I've had luck filling chips like that with "Quickwood" or similar material. Quickwood is almost the exact same color as the tan of the wood around the ring, so once the Quickwood dries, you might not have to color match the tan of the wood colored circle. I always leave the Quickwood chip filler a little lower than the surrounding playfield so I have a slightly recessed area to fill with paint and clear.

Once the Quickwood dried, I'd raid my stash of acrylic paints and touch up the black and purple areas, and tan if needed. I'd probably have to custom blend the purple and tan (wood tone). Once done with the colors, I would expect that the area would be slightly recessed (if I planned correctly) so I could flow clear into it. I have acrylic clear that I'd probably used, but in a pinch, I've had good luck with water thin super glue. You just don't want to get that super glue anywhere else on your playfield, machine, hands, floor, etc., LOL.

Once finished, the top of the clear over the touch-up should be at playfield level, and the repair will basically be imperceptible if done well. Even if not done well, it will probably escape notice, especially from the player's perspective.

#11 7 years ago

Did you or the original owner try to tap up the rails? Seems a bunch of folks do that to try to stop balls hopping over the side and reduce drains. Is it possible someone banged too hard? I notice the left post was moved from the middle position to the bottom one so looks like someone was tinkering. Not helpful for painting/fixing it I know just trying to help understand what happened.

#12 7 years ago

Title sounds a little misleading if it's not brand-new, you said it's been through two owners let alone played at all. Sorry about your mark.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I see the nick....not sure what dents you are talking about. Do you mean dimples?

Sorry, I used the two words (nicks/dents) as synonyms

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Exactly, I found the nick while applying wax.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Oshara:

Did you or the original owner try to tap up the rails? Seems a bunch of folks do that to try to stop balls hopping over the side and reduce drains. Is it possible someone banged too hard? I notice the left post was moved from the middle position to the bottom one so looks like someone was tinkering. Not helpful for painting/fixing it I know just trying to help understand what happened.

I am the second owner, it might be that the first owner tried to raise the wireguides to stop the ball from hopping from lane to another.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Title sounds a little misleading if it's not brand-new, you said it's been through two owners let alone played at all. Sorry about your mark.

Well, I was foremost asking that can these kinds of nicks be found in NIB machines? I.e. nicks from the factory and what are users experiences. I haven't got any replies to that, so I gather these kinds of nicks are not present in NIB machines, the quality control's at factories ensure it.

I posted the picture of the nick for reference's sake and asked at the same time advice on fixing the matter - it has been good to get fixing advices in any case.

#17 7 years ago

NIB = Not common at all.

This looks like the previous owner did some damage. Honestly, the section you highlighted is not all the concerning to me but the section I circled below is concerning and needs to be repaired or it will grow. I wouldn't e surprised if the previous owner dropped a screwdriver on the PF at least once while working on it.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

Well, to be honest, if you didn't pull this out of the box then it is no longer considered a NIB machine. It is now HUO at best. Yes it's possible that was done at the factory. Yes it is possible it was done by the previous owner. There is no way to know for certain at this point. If at the factory, it's even possible it was missed by the QC group. I think they just make sure stuff works and then 'box 'er up'.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

NIB = Not common at all.
    This looks like the previous owner did some damage. Honestly, the section you highlighted is not all the concerning to me but the section I circled below is concerning and needs to be repaired or it will grow. I wouldn't e surprised if the previous owner dropped a screwdriver on the PF at least once while working on it.

Ok, that's good to know. The section you circled is a piece of wax though

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Well, to be honest, if you didn't pull this out of the box then it is no longer considered a NIB machine. It is now HUO at best. Yes it's possible that was done at the factory. Yes it is possible it was done by the previous owner. There is no way to know for certain at this point. If at the factory, it's even possible it was missed by the QC group. I think they just make sure stuff works and then 'box 'er up'.

I know I know. I was mainly interested in end-user experiences - can such nicks be there in a NIB machine and I have got my answer to that as well in this thread

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nicksdents-on-nib-games-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.