(Topic ID: 208549)

Nice WPC MPU Boards on http://pinball.center

By jzdziarski

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1414 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1413 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1396 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1389 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1390 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I bought a couple of these WPC MPU bare boards on http://pinball.center... they seem to be pretty close copies of the original board, even down to the grounding contacts at the bottom, which the Two-Bits boards don't have. Thought I'd mention it, if anyone's looking to do a build. It was a pain getting them here, had to be shipped through Mailboxde to the US. Their 8-driver boards are similarly good copies. I wonder if patents/licensing are why they can't ship direct.

IMG_1390 (resized).JPGIMG_1390 (resized).JPG

IMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Here's their 8-driver board. The trace is identical to the original (top). The components used, and my sloppy soldering is the only way you could even tell the difference.

IMG_1395 (resized).JPGIMG_1395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1396 (resized).JPGIMG_1396 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Here's the assembled board, nearly identical to the Williams board. A few minor improvements some might not notice, like the bigger capacitor and the newer HC chip logic rather than the LS logic that Williams shipped in the 90s. Also a dip switch bank and what seem to be better quality diodes. They work great in the games I've tested with. No issues whatsoever.

IMG_1413 (resized).JPGIMG_1413 (resized).JPG

IMG_1414 (resized).JPGIMG_1414 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Scratching my head trying to figure out why you would go to all that trouble to assemble a new board and then put a battery holder on it? I can understand wanting a working clock (no NVRAM) but at least do a remote mounted battery pack! (assuming you are not using the wood dowel approach?)

#5 6 years ago

Honestly not worried about it. Change batteries every year and there won’t be a problem. Most leaks have happened by machines sitting unmaintained for years.

#6 6 years ago

Key word being "most"

Don't risk it!

#7 6 years ago

It is an incredibly unwise idea to use alkaline batteries. They can leak at any time.

The first thing I do on any game is get rid of those ticking time bombs.

NVRAM is cheap these days.

#8 6 years ago

Never had an alkaline leak on me. Change frequently. Don’t use cheap junk. Don’t store in extreme temperatures. Watch for swelling.

Anyway this thread is about the boards not my choice of battery.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

Never had an alkaline leak on me. Change frequently. Don’t use cheap junk. Don’t store in extreme temperatures. Watch for swelling.

Don't use alkaline and you won't ever have to worry about checking them or changing them ever again.

Quoted from jzdziarski:

We're trying to save your brand new board from potential damage.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

If this thread is about the boards, your decision to keep batteries on the brand new MPU is overshadowing anything else unfortunately :/

#11 6 years ago

Starting to believe what people say about this forum. Complete waste of time.

#12 6 years ago

Doesn’t Pinball.center not ship to USA?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

Starting to believe what people say about this forum. Complete waste of time.

Sorry to hear you feel that way.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Doesn’t Pinball.center not ship to USA?

Nope, not any more. They stopped doing it a year or two back.

#14 6 years ago

OP marked his account inactive. He's gone already. I wonder if he's new to this whole internet thing?

#15 6 years ago

OP nice job on assembling them and don't feel bad about the responses. After people get an expensive pcb ruined by leaking batteries they take a hard position on using nvram.

I deliberately made 6264 sram not work on (with ce2) on the replacement bally mpu =D.

For what it's worth only the asic and the crystal circuit needs batteries to keep time. The 6264 sram does not keep the real time clock.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

For what it's worth only the asic and the 32mhz crystal circuit needs batteries to keep time. The 6264 sram does not keep the real time clock.

. As I recall, the problem is, with battery power applied to the ASICs chip, there is power that gets to the Vcc pin of the 6264 due to the clamping diodes on the inputs (and the pull ups on CE and WE). Therefore, a NVRam module never goes into standby and drains the battery source (battery, coin cell, super cap). So, you might as well use a CMOS ram.

To the OP (even though he/she is gone now), sorry to have caused more criticism that positive vibes!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

. As I recall, the problem is, with battery power applied to the ASICs chip, there is power that gets to the Vcc pin of the 6264 due to the clamping diodes on the inputs (and the pull ups on CE and WE). Therefore, a NVRam module never goes into standby and drains the battery source (battery, coin cell, super cap). So, you might as well use a CMOS ram.
    To the OP (even though he/she is gone now), sorry to have caused more criticism that positive vibes!

The FM16W08 has a low power standby mode. Granted it probably not as a low power as a SRAM standby, but I'd imagine if the SRAM goes into standby, the FM16W08 would too.

Im thinking a complete oscillator circuit instead of discreet so that inverter chip for the RTC crystal circuit does not need battery voltage. Put the NVRAM on the main VCC and tie P26 to high (neener). Then you just need to worry about the asic and the four pin cystal can being hooked up to the batteries. I think they make 32khz complete oscillators in super low power specifically for battery backed real time clocks.

#18 6 years ago

Suspicious duplicate account. Cross checking things with his TZ playfield ad, things dont add up on this.
    Just as well hes gone now, well, ended this name. Hes here, but who is he...hummmm?

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Suspicious duplicate account. Cross checking things with his TZ playfield ad, things dont add up on this.
    Just as well hes gone now, well, ended this name. Hes here, but who is he...hummmm?

For being so thin skinned, my suspicion was the post was purely to promote the sale of the boards.

#20 6 years ago

Agreed, something was off from the get go.

#21 6 years ago

Fraud alert!
    Wow this is so stupid it's funny. This guy buys two boards from me which were fully tested & packaged using antistatic protocol by me. He receives two boards with no damage to the package & complains that I used pink bubbles that aren't antistatic. We send the website info to him to confirm they are designed for protecting static sensitive devices, he then says the boards aren't static sensitive. He installs one board & it's fine, he installs the second board & the +5 led won't even light. He starts trashing me on Ebay & Pinside regarding this. I request pics of the board through Ebay to see if I can spot the issue as I always supply tech support if the customer has an issue. I spot that the lower mounting screws have cut through the solder mask & have grounded the +5 volt plane on the board. This won't damage the +5 volt regulator as it has overload protection, but it will stop the board from operating. I mention to him to release those screws & try again, he says he tried that with no change & escalates with Ebay. Ebay takes about $600 out of my Paypal account & puts it on hold. At the same time as all this he also builds boards from overseas. He then takes parts from our board, installs them in his board & posts them here on Pinside. He was supposed to ship one board back to me in Canada with tracking, he shipped something a few days ago & uses my Canadian address & my US postal code when my address was clearly marked on the package he received. I don't think I'll ever see my board back which I offered to repair & return at my expense or my $600US. It sucks to have over 3800 positive feedback & get a negative from a person with 0 feedback. Ebay did favor him in this dispute when I did everything possible to fix the problem. I will update the description on my auction & supply Nylon screws to avoid this issue in the future.
    Hopefully this guy doesn't scam anyone else!
    Cheers,
    Dave (Linkpete on Ebay)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nice-wpc-mpu-boards-on-httppinballcenter?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.