Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ben1981
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

A friend of mine has started doing a series of sort of introductory videos to various pinball machines:

I'm really digging the production values, and I think those videos are doing a pretty sweet job at conveying the basic ideas to someone who's not familiar with those machines yet. What do you guys think?

Warning: German, but fully subtitled.

#6 9 years ago

The PAPA videos are great, I've watched pretty much all of them. The tutorials are amazing, but I find the gameplay videos a bit hard to follow if I haven't played the machine before – that's why I was pretty impressed by the way those videos show off the various features in a way that I actually get what's going on.

I don't know, that switch to the PAPA live broadcasts was really cool, because there's much more content available now for guys like me, who are thrilled to watch 10 hours of raw Expo footage, but sometimes I feel like a bit of editing wouldn't hurt. On the old PAPA website (or rather pinball.org/videos), you could search for a specific machine and get tournament coverage of that machine. With the live broadcasts, that's gone now. Even Bowen's tutorials, which I enjoy a lot, seem a bit watered down with the live format, as opposed to watching just that one game that went really well.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I feel like there's a lack of sweet and short high quality content right now, and I was pleasantly surprised to see those videos hit that spot for me.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Right, you can still search for specific machines here:
http://papa.org/learning-center/video-resources/video-search/
Tutorials aren't going away. There would be more of them if they didn't require a 500-mile trip to Pittsburgh!

Nice to hear that the tutorials aren't going away. I know that it's probably more about the time commitment than the travel costs, but if you did an informal kickstarter to secure the travel funds for more tutorials, I'd pledge my money in a heartbeat.

As for the video search, it's not as helpful as it could be, I'm afraid. If I search for "Metallica", for instance, the first two results are the tutorial, and the next two are some random tournament videos without any Metallica footage at all, followed by lots of other stuff I didn't look through in detail, but which looked pretty random on first glance, too.

Of course, the new broadcast format doesn't facilitate search, and some of the old tournament videos can still be found, but I wish I could just type in "Star Trek" and have Engelbrektsson's Expo footage in the results. Well, can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess. Anybody interested in helping to timestamp and tag the existing live footage?

1 week later
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I noticed this as well. When you search for a particular pin title, you get a lot of non-related stuff that comes up. Weird....

I'm in the process of timestamping and tagging all the PAPA videos to provide a working machine and player search. I've got about a quarter of the videos done right now, and once it's finished, I'll put up a search page that actually gives you the results you're looking for. I don't know all of the players by sight, so I'm gonna rely on some community effort to finish the tagging, but I think it's gonna be pretty neat.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Holy crap! That's awesome.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Cool. Thanks for all the hard work!

The first version is up and running, see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-video-search-i-need-your-help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nice-gameplaytutorial-videos?tu=nob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.