Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ben1981
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

A friend of mine has started doing a series of sort of introductory videos to various pinball machines:

I'm really digging the production values, and I think those videos are doing a pretty sweet job at conveying the basic ideas to someone who's not familiar with those machines yet. What do you guys think?

Warning: German, but fully subtitled.

#2 9 years ago

Nice job but I'd like to see the subtitles in a larger, more visible format. (Or better yet, english audio... although I understand that I'm being selfish in this regard. Still, your friend might gain more non-german views if he were to follow the crowd. Perhaps you might offer your services?) I found myself forced to watch the subtitles more than the gameplay. But you're right. The production value is VERY nice! I enjoyed his work.

#3 9 years ago

It's all good but your friend has some serious competition.

PAPA has an amazing collection of tutorials and gameplay videos.

http://papa.org/learning-center/video-resources/tutorial-videos/

#4 9 years ago

Second the PAPA comment. Maybe start by doing games that PAPA has not done.

#5 9 years ago

Great work!

#6 9 years ago

The PAPA videos are great, I've watched pretty much all of them. The tutorials are amazing, but I find the gameplay videos a bit hard to follow if I haven't played the machine before – that's why I was pretty impressed by the way those videos show off the various features in a way that I actually get what's going on.

I don't know, that switch to the PAPA live broadcasts was really cool, because there's much more content available now for guys like me, who are thrilled to watch 10 hours of raw Expo footage, but sometimes I feel like a bit of editing wouldn't hurt. On the old PAPA website (or rather pinball.org/videos), you could search for a specific machine and get tournament coverage of that machine. With the live broadcasts, that's gone now. Even Bowen's tutorials, which I enjoy a lot, seem a bit watered down with the live format, as opposed to watching just that one game that went really well.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I feel like there's a lack of sweet and short high quality content right now, and I was pleasantly surprised to see those videos hit that spot for me.

#7 9 years ago

Fwiw, I don't think the regular Bowen tutorials are going away just because they're doing the live show.

I also believe you can still find the tournament coverage by searching by game.

#8 9 years ago

A big thanks to your friend for putting these together, will definitely subscribe and hopefully more will come in the future. I think everyone should appreciate the effort, there's always more to learn. These videos have nice detail in the explanation of the rulesets which is nice for sure. The papa gameplay videos and even the tutorials are definitely not the end all for strategy but a good base & a fun watch as well.

#9 9 years ago

Right, you can still search for specific machines here:

http://papa.org/learning-center/video-resources/video-search/

Tutorials aren't going away. There would be more of them if they didn't require a 500-mile trip to Pittsburgh!

#10 9 years ago

These are nice videos and the color is amazing and your friend deserves a pat on the back and a thanks. I also get to practice up on my German. I find myself trying to interpret the voice and not read the captions and I get way behind. If would help if the captions were a little larger and perhaps stayed on the screen a bit longer.. :lol:Good work..

I really enjoy the PAPA tutorials by Bowen, I watch them over and over, I like to look at the Gameplay videos, but without narration they are a little hard to follow. The search by game is great for finding a game that you want to watch without spending time doing a trial and error search through a long stream. I cannot say enough about the quality of the commentators on the live broadcasts for tournaments. They are all really good and each adds there own unique perspective and personality to the broadcast which always makes things interesting. The weekly PAPA live broadcasts with John, Mark, Daisy are awesome and very fun to watch. I really appreciate what Bowen does for the hobby, taking time to do these tutorials, especially considering he lives near Boston I believe. There are so many cool games at PAPA that are deserving of the Bowen treatment. Bowen always finds positive things to say about the games in any tutorial he does which I think is very cool and professional. He has helped many of us make buy decisions I am sure. I have been watching the DEAD_FLIP Live stream from the Chicago guys in the evenings and I really like the humor of Jack, Nick and their guests on the Weekly Battles. They cover a lot of ground on the games they do.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Right, you can still search for specific machines here:
http://papa.org/learning-center/video-resources/video-search/
Tutorials aren't going away. There would be more of them if they didn't require a 500-mile trip to Pittsburgh!

Nice to hear that the tutorials aren't going away. I know that it's probably more about the time commitment than the travel costs, but if you did an informal kickstarter to secure the travel funds for more tutorials, I'd pledge my money in a heartbeat.

As for the video search, it's not as helpful as it could be, I'm afraid. If I search for "Metallica", for instance, the first two results are the tutorial, and the next two are some random tournament videos without any Metallica footage at all, followed by lots of other stuff I didn't look through in detail, but which looked pretty random on first glance, too.

Of course, the new broadcast format doesn't facilitate search, and some of the old tournament videos can still be found, but I wish I could just type in "Star Trek" and have Engelbrektsson's Expo footage in the results. Well, can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess. Anybody interested in helping to timestamp and tag the existing live footage?

1 week later
#12 9 years ago
Quoted from NOB:

Nice to hear that the tutorials aren't going away. I know that it's probably more about the time commitment than the travel costs, but if you did an informal kickstarter to secure the travel funds for more tutorials, I'd pledge my money in a heartbeat.

Totally true, would love to see more PAPA Tutorials!

BTW, I'm the creator of the videos mentioned above and i have something new to announce

Video 3 is Online, this time we take a look at Back To The Future - The Pinball

as you can see (or hear) Videos are now availiable as dubbed English versions.

Also Space Shuttle and Champion Pub are now availiable with an English soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw2p1UJ0seY4cSYUkqDcmr2c04S_uo8uK

Hope you like it,
more coming soon

Cheers,
Ben

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

Totally true, would love to see more PAPA Tutorials!
BTW, I'm the creator of the videos mentioned above and i have something new to announce
Video 3 is Online, this time we take a look at Back to the Future - The Pinball
» YouTube video
as you can see (or hear) Videos are now availiable as dubbed English versions.
Also Space Shuttle and Champion Pub are now availiable with an English soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw2p1UJ0seY4cSYUkqDcmr2c04S_uo8uK
Hope you like it,
more coming soon
Cheers,
Ben

Would love to see vids for POTC and Tron as well. Great work!

#14 9 years ago

Tron will definitely show up in the near future
cheers

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from NOB:

As for the video search, it's not as helpful as it could be, I'm afraid. If I search for "Metallica", for instance, the first two results are the tutorial, and the next two are some random tournament videos without any Metallica footage at all, followed by lots of other stuff I didn't look through in detail, but which looked pretty random on first glance, too.
Of course, the new broadcast format doesn't facilitate search, and some of the old tournament videos can still be found, but I wish I could just type in "Star Trek" and have Engelbrektsson's Expo footage in the results. Well, can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess. Anybody interested in helping to timestamp and tag the existing live footage?

I noticed this as well. When you search for a particular pin title, you get a lot of non-related stuff that comes up. Weird....

#16 9 years ago

I would also chip in a bit towards a kickstarter for more tutorials. I enjoy them immensely.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I noticed this as well. When you search for a particular pin title, you get a lot of non-related stuff that comes up. Weird....

I'm in the process of timestamping and tagging all the PAPA videos to provide a working machine and player search. I've got about a quarter of the videos done right now, and once it's finished, I'll put up a search page that actually gives you the results you're looking for. I don't know all of the players by sight, so I'm gonna rely on some community effort to finish the tagging, but I think it's gonna be pretty neat.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from NOB:

I'm in the process of timestamping and tagging all the PAPA videos to provide a working machine and player search. I've got about a quarter of the videos done right now, and once it's finished, I'll put up a search page that actually gives you the results you're looking for. I don't know all of the players by sight, so I'm gonna rely on some community effort to finish the tagging, but I think it's gonna be pretty neat.

Holy crap! That's awesome.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from NOB:

Cool. Thanks for all the hard work!

#20 9 years ago

Nice work on the videos.
High quality and beautiful machine examples.
Very good camera work IMO.
Good introduction to the machines layout and rules.

#21 9 years ago

Lots of work on these videos, and generally are nice. I do think that the use of pan on the tight shots is a little much and the videos would benefit from a little wider shot to give perspective of where these objectives are on the table.

Good stuff though!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Holy crap! That's awesome.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Cool. Thanks for all the hard work!

The first version is up and running, see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-video-search-i-need-your-help.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I do think that the use of pan on the tight shots is a little much and the videos would benefit from a little wider shot to give perspective of where these objectives are on the table.

appreciate the feedback, thanks a lot, i will try to work this in when filming the next machine!

Check this out guys, it's really awesome and should be incorporated on the papa site soon, really nice job

cheers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 37.50
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Stratford, CT
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nice-gameplaytutorial-videos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.