Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5bc8gi (resized).jpg
    Sega warranty (resized).png
    CGC Warranty.jpg
    JJP Warranty.jpg
    Stern Warranty.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Krupps4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have never purchased a pin NIB, but have read threads and post after post from fellow pinsiders voicing complaints and outrage about the issues they are having with their playfields. Most notably, the GNR playfield’s seem to be having a lot of issues. Because no one seems to know what the fix is, I’m assuming no NIB pin comes with a written warranty. How can that be possible with an item as expensive and complex as a pin? Cars come with warranties. TVs come with warranties. The list goes on...

If pins came with warranties, it would level the playing field between manufacturers and customers. Everyone would know before they purchased a pin, what risk they would be taking. Customers would no longer be forced to sit guessing and waiting for a response from a manufacturer. Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m really surprised there isn’t a warranty that would cover the playfield issues everyone is having even if it is a warranty that says your SOL. At least then, you knew you would be SOL going into the purchase.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There is a written warranty. And it basically says "Have a nice day". In reality that means they might do something, or they might not depending on how bad it is for them. That is why they call it a Playfield Lottery. It's the most expensive thing in a game (not just parts, but all the labor). If a single mech breaks, they will always support you. But playfields are always a risk.

I guess I think as a group of consumers the push should be for a better warranty as part of the complaint process about the current issues. I’m really shocked that the warranty is basically no warranty. I don’t think that would be acceptable in any other consumer environment.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There will never be a large enough group of pinball people to actually put real pressure on manufacturers. Again, see above that they can't even make enough games for the sales they have. People are waiting 6 months for new games, maybe even longer.

I get all that. I work with business owners every day in a number of capacities and sometimes decisions are based not just upon short term gain. There is a backlog of games now, but that might not always be the case. As part of building a company, brand and consumer loyalty, I think a warranty that makes sense for the home use buyer makes a lot of sense. Think how the home use buyer would react if one of the pin manufacturers rolled that out unsolicited? Talk about being good for business... I think the let’s see what I can get away with approach isn’t a good long term business model.

#11 2 years ago

So, the Stern warranty is a warranty in name only. It’s a total joke...

Same with JJP.

CGC is better.

Those aren’t warranties from companies that are willing to stand behind their products. It’s hard to even call them warranties...

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Warning! Incoming Cargument!
    Think of a pinball machine warranty as a heavy equipment warranty vs. a passenger car warranty.
    An excavating contractor has very different ideas of what a problem with a bulldozer is compared to your grandma's minivan.
    The excavating contractor probably has a mechanic on staff, or contracts with a service company. They will only go back to the manufacturer with a warranty claim if something catastrophic happens.
    Your grandma will probably be back at the dealer to check the air in her tires.

Huh? You lost me with this one... Sounds a bit extreme and is certainly missing the point.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Like...hand written?

If your a lawyer, you must be at the tail end of your career. None of us have handwritten a contract for quite some time. We all use computers, so I would expect a pinball manufacturer to do the same.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey ya never know. Some people didn't even know pinball machines had warranties until today.

And they don’t...

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

They are a massive success with those playfield issues.

But that massive success doesn’t make it right because of the playfield issues. I understand the need to make a profit, but what I don’t understand is the lack of integrity.

Also, weren’t the vast majority of those orders placed before the playfield issue really reared its ugly head? I think that is an important fact knowing the orders can’t be cancelled per JJP policy.

The other thing I don’t understand is doesn’t Mirco provide a warranty to JJP so that if there is a playfield issue the customer goes to JJP and then JJP goes to Mirco? That’s how it would work in any other business. Maybe pinball manufacturers have a unique business model...

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

The thing that gets me about thee arguments is that these machines are not made for home use and are not intended to be sold to non operators, these are commercial vending machines, you should know how to diagnose fix and repair if you are the purchaser, otherwise it's on you to find a reliable tech.

I understand what you are saying, but JJP is well aware that times have changed and home use buyers are an important segment of the pinball market. To pretend that they are not is simply ignoring the obvious as a matter of convenience.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That is not how these games are being marketed and sold anymore, at all.

Evidence of this being the Dead Flip and Buffalo Pinball streams.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Krupps4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-written-warranty?tu=Krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.