Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5bc8gi (resized).jpg
    Sega warranty (resized).png
    CGC Warranty.jpg
    JJP Warranty.jpg
    Stern Warranty.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Talk to people and you will get your answer. Sales soared last year and yet most arcades were closed, that’s pretty easy to tell who bought them. Production models aren’t always released first, aiq le came out before any other aiq model.

I do talk to people, have close friends who are distributors, last year was an anomaly. I think you may be wrong about AIQ, I know the pro showed up at distributors first and Stern always runs pros first, at least according to Gary Stern.
    One strange year doesn't change history.
    I'm seeing barcades opening up now, let's see what the next 12-24 months brings.
    B

#52 4 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

JJP playfields have had these same problems for several years now, you'll see that if you go back and read the threads on Wonka and POTC playfields.

Problems were actually first reported with Woz playfields from Bader almost 10 years ago.

#53 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

I do talk to people, have close friends who are distributors, last year was an anomaly. I think you may be wrong about AIQ, I know the pro showed up at distributors first and Stern always runs pros first, at least according to Gary Stern.
    One strange year doesn't change history.
    I'm seeing barcades opening up now, let's see what the next 12-24 months brings.
    B

They did a very small run of pros for distros only and then did LEs. There may be some pent up demand by barcodes as reopening hits, but I’m sticking to my view that homeowners drive the market and support the manufacturers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/6

#54 4 months ago
    5bc8gi (resized).jpg
    #55 4 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

They did a very small run of pros for distros only

So I'm correct that they run pros first for distributors, who sell to operators, who have (traditionally at least) been their main market yes?

My point was that this is who the games are made for. That's why the quality is what it is, these are made to make money. Not be artifacts, that's all. I think it's cool to have them at home and make them how you want them, but if you need that level of quality, get an extra playfield, have it professionally cleared, soup up your stuff and have a party, I just don't think you can expect these companies to offer art pieces, they're coin op vending machines designed for operators. Maybe that will change but I doubt it.
    B

#56 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

So I'm correct that they run pros first for distributors, who sell to operators, who have (traditionally at least) been their main market yes?
    My point was that this is who the games are made for. That's why the quality is what it is, these are made to make money. Not be artifacts, that's all. I think it's cool to have them at home and make them how you want them, but if you need that level of quality, get an extra playfield, have it professionally cleared, soup up your stuff and have a party, I just don't think you can expect these companies to offer art pieces, they're coin op vending machines designed for operators. Maybe that will change but I doubt it.
    B

No, I don’t think that’s right. They made a very small run of aiq pros as demo units for distros for their showrooms so customers could see and play before buying. Those pros were not for operators. Other games, pros indeed have come first for operators and arcades. Mandolorian has pros coming first, but I don’t take that as a signal operators matter more. Could be they send out pros to generate buzz and potentially iron out issues for games destined for residential use.

We will just have to agree to disagree on who these games are increasingly being made for and who drives the market.

#57 4 months ago

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, I'd like to get this straight tho. You say that yes, Stern made AIQ pro first and yes, they are making Mando pro first and yes, Gary Stern states in every interview that they make pros first and yes, distributors all get pros first but I'm wrong about them making pros first? That is some slick reasoning you've got going on there, I guess I just can't keep up.

Here's where I'm coming from, pinball is cool in your house BECAUSE it doesn't belong there, wasn't made to be there and isn't supposed to be owned by the general public. It's cool because in order to have one, you kinda have to pay your dues, you gotta learn some shit, or you gotta be a rich guy who fuels it for everyone else. It's cool because it was made to be DESTROYED!! and thrown away, so the ones that made it out are cool, it's fun to bring them back to life or to make them your own, but you gotta learn or pay or get out. That is one of the big reasons I personally like pinball, cause it aint made for me, but dammit, I figured out how to make that shit work.
    Also, I don't know about in your neck of the nape but around here at least 60% of the people I know who own machines route them. I'm not talking hard core operators (know a few of those but they do all coin op, not just pinball) I'm talking guys with 4-6 pins who want them at home, have day jobs but still put them on route to pay for them or offset the cost.
    Two local examples, PPM has over 100 games with a door charge of $20 but up front they always have 3-5 of the newest games on coin drop. those games are always owned by local pinheads, occasionally a serious operator will put one there but mostly just dudes try'n to make their $ back. Then there's the Flipper Room, mostly about framing (pictures) but they have a large showroom with games, owned mostly by local league dudes, all on coin drop and here's the thing, I have never, ever heard even one of those people complain about warranties or playfields. Period. Never.
    Anyhoo, yes, agree to disagree.
    B

#58 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

The thing that gets me about thee arguments is that these machines are not made for home use and are not intended to be sold to non operators, these are commercial vending machines, you should know how to diagnose fix and repair if you are the purchaser, otherwise it's on you to find a reliable tech.

I understand what you are saying, but JJP is well aware that times have changed and home use buyers are an important segment of the pinball market. To pretend that they are not is simply ignoring the obvious as a matter of convenience.

#59 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

The thing that gets me about thee arguments is that these machines are not made for home use and are not intended to be sold to non operators, these are commercial vending machines, you should know how to diagnose fix and repair if you are the purchaser, otherwise it's on you to find a reliable tech.

That is not how these games are being marketed and sold anymore, at all.

If you want to aggressively market games to the general public, you need to adapt to that new crowd. And we all know pinball is VERY unfriendly in that regard.

It's a strange situation we've all gotten ourselves into.

#60 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That is not how these games are being marketed and sold anymore, at all.

Evidence of this being the Dead Flip and Buffalo Pinball streams.

#61 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

I'm wrong about them making pros first?

Stern Army specifically asks if your using a pro or other model so they can make sure your game arrives on time for the release event. So odds are they make some of each as needed. It’s not like it would take days to switch the line over from one model to the other.

#62 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

pinball is cool in your house BECAUSE it doesn't belong there, wasn't made to be there and isn't supposed to be owned by the general public.

I distinctly remember that first morning, coming down my stairs and seeing an Evel Knievel pinball machine in my living room. Yes, I had put it there. Yes, I had played the heck out of it the night before. But that first walk down the stairs was the time I realized there was a pinball machine... in my house! It definitely belonged there

I don’t have numbers to back this up, but I find a ton more games in peoples houses than I could find on location around me. I don’t feel it’s even close.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside