(Topic ID: 296002)

NiB TMNT arrived questions on if condition is considered acceptable.

By The-Hum

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210630_194418.jpg
Goodbye artwork (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_193644802 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_183024091 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_184820784 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_184538886 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_171936205 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_182837693 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_182846309 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210630_185100183 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I recently purchased a NiB TMNT from a distributer.
This is my first ever pinball machine.
I'm trying to control my exciement and concern here so please go easy one me.

The top of the box was super dirty like it had been sitting in a warehouse for a while. I vaccumed up the dirt/dust and moved on. Box was generally in good shape, but maybe a little soft like it had been exposed to humidity. (I'm from Florida and this reminded me of cardboard that was left in our garage).

I moved on thinking this was probably just me being paranoid.

Once I got the game open and out of the box i was able to see that this game was built in October 2020 - so it's been sitting in the box for almost a year now.
The balls are so rusty that I wouldn't dare play with them and this obviously sucks because I was super excited to play. The nuts/threads in the backbox were also rusty.

Also the coin box has no pin and was shoved up and into the underside of the playfield...

Just for extra paranoia I'm unsure if the print quality of the playfield is on par or not with expectation.

If anyone has experience with these sorts of concerns I would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you!

- The-Hum

PXL_20210630_171936205 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_171936205 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_182837693 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_182837693 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_182846309 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_182846309 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_183024091 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_183024091 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_184538886 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_184538886 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_184820784 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_184820784 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_185100183 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_185100183 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

A NIB game should not be rusty. How extensive is the rusting? Personally, I'd return it just based on that alone. There's no telling what else might be compromised in that game if it's been sitting in a humid environment for a long period of time. Playfield warping would be a serious concern as well.

#3 2 years ago

This^^^^^^^^^^^

#4 2 years ago

One additional thing noticed
Graphics bubbling on back box

PXL_20210630_193644802 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_193644802 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Some of the early TMNTs had crap playfield print quality, looks like you got one of those. I'd return it based on the rust alone, moisture is bad for games in general.

#6 2 years ago

ABORT ABORT.

Its sad! But better safe than sorry...

#7 2 years ago

Wow you got shafted hard. This sucks. Distributor name?

#8 2 years ago

I hope the distributor you bought this from makes it right....your game should look Brand new...NOT like that....!!!............Joey

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Wow you got shafted hard. This sucks. Distributor name?

Def wasn’t Flipping Out...!!!...Zak would never give a game in a box that looked like that.......Joey

#10 2 years ago

But....upon second thought....maybe it floated in his Above Ground pool for awhile...???!!!....

#11 2 years ago

Thanks all! Your feedback aligned with a what I thought was a knee jerk reaction from me.

Good news
I called the distributer and they were extremely kind and understanding.
After listing the issues they agreed it was best to replace the machine.

I think i just got unlucky here....
I'll be waiting now for the upcoming run to have this one replaced

#12 2 years ago

As TMNT was my first NIB purchase and I had some of the same issues, allow me to share some thoughts...

1) Loose Coin Box - Same in my game. I ended up finding that the left sling flasher was disconnected as a result and had to bend some things back together for it to plug back in.
2) PF Print Quality - I'm in the same boat. I complained to my distro in October and was promised a new PF. I actually made my concerns about poor PF's known before I made the purchase and his assurance to me was that "Stern solved all the PF issues". So I bought, of course got a shit grainy PF, and showed him pics. I was promised a new Pro PF "when Stern reruns TMNT Pro". In April, I sent a 6mo follow up letter asking the status and it's been crickets since.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to reveal the entire conversation from the Distro. He's supposed to be "one of the good guys" in the hobby, but I'm yet to get the service I expected.

If you can return the game, I'd do so on the rust alone. Probably wasn't stored well and could have other issues you can't see.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

I'll be waiting now for the upcoming run to have this one replaced

Did they say when the next run would be? That's the ammo I need in my efforts to get my replacement.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Did they say when the next run would be? That's the ammo I need in my efforts to get my replacement.

There are supposed to be more run in July, I was told that’s when mine is being made.

#15 2 years ago

How the F did Stern let those PF’s out the door....???!!!!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

As TMNT was my first NIB purchase and I had some of the same issues, allow me to share some thoughts...
1) Loose Coin Box - Same in my game. I ended up finding that the left sling flasher was disconnected as a result and had to bend some things back together for it to plug back in.
2) PF Print Quality - I'm in the same boat. I complained to my distro in October and was promised a new PF. I actually made my concerns about poor PF's known before I made the purchase and his assurance to me was that "Stern solved all the PF issues". So I bought, of course got a shit grainy PF, and showed him pics. I was promised a new Pro PF "when Stern reruns TMNT Pro". In April, I sent a 6mo follow up letter asking the status and it's been crickets since.
I'm at the point where I'm ready to reveal the entire conversation from the Distro. He's supposed to be "one of the good guys" in the hobby, but I'm yet to get the service I expected.
If you can return the game, I'd do so on the rust alone. Probably wasn't stored well and could have other issues you can't see.

I bet I know who the distributor you’re talking about is. It might be time to start a thread about it. I am in the same boat.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

There are supposed to be more run in July, I was told that’s when mine is being made.

I got the same information when I called around to distributors before I got this one

#18 2 years ago

You did the right thing by asking, very sorry you got a NIB game like that, HORRIBLE.

Hoping your replacement game is in great shape.

#19 2 years ago

Glad it's going to work out for you, but much like whats going on with the GNR,s playfields if you accepted that,, what next
Hope it works out f or you

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

The balls are so rusty that I wouldn't dare play with them

When your replacement game comes in, even if the rest of the game looks pristine, THROW OUT THE STERN FACTORY BALLS. I've seen ones that looked like golf balls in an IMDN Premium. I've seen pitted ones in TWD Pro. And I recently saw this in another newer Premium model...

Goodbye artwork (resized).jpgGoodbye artwork (resized).jpg

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It might be time to start a thread about it. I am in the same boat.

Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

If this is correct, I'll give them until August. Then if nothing, scorched Earth mode enables.

#21 2 years ago

So glad your distributor agreed to replace. You did the right thing by reaching out.

#22 2 years ago

Glad they replaced!!

#23 2 years ago

I can't believe stern has such shit balls. No other product could get away with so much at this price point. Crazy.

#24 2 years ago

The-Hum doesn't live too far away, so I had him stop by and get some balls to play his machine until the replacement arrives. Pinside to the rescue!

20210630_194418.jpg20210630_194418.jpg
#25 2 years ago

Nice job! Especially considering Battle Creek and Detroit not exactly next door

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Nice job! Especially considering Battle Creek and Detroit not exactly next door

I would have made the same drive to finally play my first game too. I wasn't sure he'd take me up on it, but I had planned on helping him set it up last week on the way to my parent's house. When it got delayed in shipping, I felt bad. Then this debacle on top of it?! In the end, he got to play 3 machines he hadn't played before, and I grilled him a burger. All is well that ends well.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I would have made the same drive to finally play my first game too. I wasn't sure he'd take me up on it, but I had planned on helping him set it up last week on the way to my parent's house. When it got delayed in shipping, I felt bad. Then this debacle on top of it?! In the end, he got to play 3 machines he hadn't played before, and I grilled him a burger. All is well that ends well.

For my first time doing an in person meet with someone from the forum, you may have set the bar a bit high gorditas ... That burger was phenomenal.
And you made me go from really disliking the star wars pin to wanting a premium now

#28 2 years ago

What I really wanted to say when I saw this thread:

"You should expect to be a pro, and replace every part on your NiB pinball, or you shouldn't be in pinball" as that is how so many people tend to come off on here.

Glad they got you taken care of. Sad that pin was in that kind of condition though. Hope whoever was storing it checks the rest of their games and gets them moved somewhere a bit more climate controlled.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-tmnt-arrived-questions-on-if-condition-is-considered-acceptable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.