Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#3 12 years ago

Won't sell !

Jim

#4 12 years ago

There is absolutely no way on Earth a NIB STTNG will sell for that price. AFM, MB, MM, CC, sure ... but not that title.

#5 12 years ago

I wonder what it would go for if he just went no reserve? $8000? $10,000?

#6 12 years ago

make you wonder what the story is behind that pin. why was it left to sit all this time?

#7 12 years ago

I hope it does sell.

When this pinball "housing bubble" does burst, it is going to hurt.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When this pinball "housing bubble" does burst, it is going to hurt.

when's that gonna be? When the "real" housing market gets bad? when the stock market crashes?

#9 12 years ago

Amazing stuff, I can't believe there are still older B/W NIB machines out there waiting patiently for someone to love them...
Makes me wish I had "Pin-ESP", so I can find these gems before they hit eBay.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There is absolutely no way on Earth a NIB STTNG will sell for that price. AFM, MB, MM, CC, sure ... but not that title.

+1 I could see it going for 15 grand if some wealthy Trekkie wants it but no higher than that.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

when's that gonna be? When the "real" housing market gets bad? when the stock market crashes?

It will happen whenever it happens.

It happened with the old muscle cars in America a few years ago the same way. Prices were climbing so fast no one could believe it. So much money was in the market. Then prices fell to "almost" reasonable levels almost overnight. http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/01/barrett-jackson-muscle-car-prices-take-huge-hit.html

If you think about it, there are very few tables in any coinop use anymore. Almost all tables are in private homes, getting much less use than in an arcade, bowling ally or 7Eleven. They are being carefully cared for. Owners are buying reproduction fields and fake NOS (new old stock) plastics from eBay. Every other ad on CraigsList says it's shopped or fully restored.

We love our tables because we grew up with them. The current generation will not have the same nostalgic feelings for them that we do.

#12 12 years ago

Yeah there's no way. I don't see anywhere on the box what game it actually is. And man I hope that thing didn't ship w/ batteries installed

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from PwninShiznat:

Yeah there's no way. I don't see anywhere on the box what game it actually is. And man I hope that thing didn't ship w/ batteries installed []

It says in the auction description that the box was opened to remove the batteries.

Should be interesting to see if anyone here buys it...

#14 12 years ago

I don't often make silly comments, however, consider this, how many chances in life do you have, to buy the last remaining NIB top 10 pin on earth (if it is NIB). Just a thought and please no bashing, I cop that enough living down under....

#15 12 years ago

No attitude towards your comment Leigh, I was thinking the same thing. There just cant be many NIB's left.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Leigh:

I don't often make silly comments, however, consider this, how many chances in life do you have, to buy the last remaining NIB top 10 pin on earth (if it is NIB). Just a thought and please no bashing, I cop that enough living down under....

I don't think that's silly at all. That's not really that expensive for what it is. I wouldn't buy it because it's not my grail pin and i don't have the kinda $$ to throw at one machine but if i did and it was i'd do it!

I'd rather have one NIB Williams than three NIB sterns!

#17 12 years ago

The funny thing is that is that it will sell eventually to someone with unlimited funds (there seems to be plenty of these folks out there getting into this hobby). The problem is that as soon as you pull it out of the box and play it, it goes from a 19k pin to a 4.5k pin. Ouuch! Talk about a shot in the a#! financially.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The current generation will not have the same nostalgic feelings for them that we do.

In 15-20 years, you will see those nostalgic listings for PS3 with Call of Duty 2, Fallout 3, and 25 other titles - and some poor schleps in the retrops3 forum lamenting about the crazy prices those eBay sellers are asking.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

In 15-20 years, you will see those nostalgic listings for PS3 with Call of Duty 2, Fallout 3, and 25 other titles - and some poor schleps in the retrops3 forum lamenting about the crazy prices those eBay sellers are asking.

Don't be so sure of that, with the instant gratification that we're seeing, it'll be something you can download/stream by then. Outside of emulation, there's no way to download or stream real pinball machines. Of course Crave could be working on that emulation for us currently, that still won't be the real thing by any means.

#20 12 years ago

That thing could be rusted to hell inside that box . I have seen pictures of a NIB NGG that Pat Lawlor sold on EBAY for 6 K and it was really rusted up! Game was sent to HEP for a full restore. WOW .

How would you like to buy a NIB NOS game only to find out it needs multiple Thousands to fix!

Not me !

Jim

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It will happen whenever it happens.

It happened with the old muscle cars in America a few years ago the same way. Prices were climbing so fast no one could believe it. So much money was in the market. Then prices fell to "almost" reasonable levels almost overnight. http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/01/barrett-jackson-muscle-car-prices-take-huge-hit.html

If you think about it, there are very few tables in any coinop use anymore. Almost all tables are in private homes, getting much less use than in an arcade, bowling ally or 7Eleven. They are being carefully cared for. Owners are buying reproduction fields and fake NOS (new old stock) plastics from eBay. Every other ad on CraigsList says it's shopped or fully restored.

We love our tables because we grew up with them. The current generation will not have the same nostalgic feelings for them that we do.

ever watch antique road show? a busted up tiffany lamp has an estimated 50K value. I think an a list pin can maintain a 3K+ level.

#22 12 years ago

I don't think the bubble will pop either but it is absurd to compare pinball machines to Tiffany.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What is the current generation? The generation that grew up during the 90's pin boom is now in it's 30's. That means it'll be a good 30 years before we start dying off. By then inflation will have caught up so that even an old antique busted-ass pin will fetch thousands of dollars anyway. It's basic supply and demand. Limited resource and more Gen-Xers with disposable incomes equals higher prices.

I would argue that the drop in muscle car prices has something to do with the current offering of faster, more fuel efficient, safer, better handling and more comfortable performance cars coming from Detroit also. I'm one of those who used to want a classic 60's muscle car, but now I'd get more bang for my buck with a late model Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. Again, supply and demand.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

There is nothing rare about games that sold in the millions.

Use an Atari 2600 game as an example. A NIB "Pitfall" might fetch $12, but a NIB "Chase the Chuckwagon" gets $700 (at one time it was going for $3000+). Usually something has to be rare to have a crazy price.

How many of your friends bought cases of the comic "The Death of Superman" thinking it would be worth big bucks? There are so many unopened cases of that rag that is has a pitiful value.

Quoted from TZBen:

ever watch antique Road Show? a busted up tiffany lamp has an estimated 50K value. I think an a list pin can maintain a 3K+ level.

Again, the Tiffany is rare. They were expensive to begin with ($300 for a lamp at the turn of the last century? That's crazy!) so it's not like there were 20,000 made of any single style.

All that said, it is exciting to watch and see if the game sells. Will Bill Gates buy it and use it? Will some speculator buy it and keep it in the box? Is the whole thing a scam? (if you took it out of the box to take the batteries out, would you not take a picture of the condition?)

This is the fun stuff that adds interest to our hobby.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

What is the current generation?

The current generation is the generation currently of breeding age, 18-35. Many of them have never even seen a pinball game in person (my 25 year old girlfriend had never seen one until she met me).

Each generation will have some nostalgic thing they will collect from their youth. Maybe it will be iPods, Laptops, or CDs (yes, they have annouced that CDs have been discontinued: http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/59478-report-cds-are-officially-over )

#26 12 years ago

Good info and analysis, vid. For reference, I think a NIB Safe Cracker went for about $10K on eBay not too long ago (6-24 months, maybe?).

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The problem is that as soon as you pull it out of the box and play it, it goes from a 19k pin to a 4.5k pin. Ouuch!

This is precisely why I don't think this particular title will fetch such a high price. Yes, a NIB STTNG is extremely rare, but the fact of the matter is that it's only rare until you start playing it. The second you do that, it becomes HUO, and the underlying market value of even the nicest STTNG doesn't warrant such a price. Heck, you could probably buy two HEP STTNG's for that price. I suppose it's possible that someone with a completely different mindset than me could pay up for this game, but I'd be shocked.

#28 12 years ago

One NIB b title or an entire arcade full of great games? Seems an easy question to me.

#29 12 years ago

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! If vinyl is selling well this decade, then CD's should keep going on and on. The next time I go into any music store, I'm buying a ton of CD's.

#30 12 years ago

I still buy CDs.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I have seen pictures of a NIB NGG that Pat Lawlor sold on EBAY for 6 K and it was really rusted up! Game was sent to HEP for a full restore. WOW .

OUCH! that made me cringe Jim.

#32 12 years ago

Quick question, were games of that era originally shipped with the batteries already in the pins?

I have no idea what the answer is but if it is true that game could have some serious acid damage.

#33 12 years ago

I am pretty sure whoever is going to spend that kind of money is not going to worry about acid damage on a $200 board.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from SunsetPinball:

Quick question, were games of that era originally shipped with the batteries already in the pins?

Yes.

Quoted from donjagra:

I still buy CDs.

Me too. In fact, I prefer them because they offer better sound quality than most downloads. I never actually listen to the CDs themselves, but they are all ripped into a lossless format to preserve the original sound quality. If the record labels are going to stop selling CD's, they better start offering more high resolution download options. If not, it will actually be a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

#35 12 years ago

Anyone also notice there's another NIB Williams on eBay as well....

ebay.com link: NIB Star Wars Episode 1 pinball machine

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

And a Treasure Cove JD

Rather take that than a NIB SWE1 any day.

#38 12 years ago

That's one hell of a nice JD!!!

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Rather take that than a NIB SWE1 any day.

Me too by a mile !

Jim

#40 12 years ago

Personally, I'd be worried it is a scam. The seller only has 44 transactions.

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from LTW:

I am pretty sure whoever is going to spend that kind of money is not going to worry about acid damage on a $200 board.

Good point.

#42 12 years ago

It probably isn't a scam, but since they opened it to "verify the contents," why didn't they take some shots of the actual game?

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

... since they opened it to "verify the contents," why didn't they take some shots of the actual game?

An excellent question.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

jayhawkai said:
... since they opened it to "verify the contents," why didn't they take some shots of the actual game?

An excellent question.

Quoted from McCune:That thing could be rusted to hell inside that box .

#45 12 years ago

Box appears to have some water damage. That should take a few grand off. Looks like I just found my next pin!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.