Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TronGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Played a few games on the new pin, and everytime now after play is over it won't start a new game. Says locating pinballs, kicks everything on the playfield and doesn't recognize them. If I flip off the game it tends to start right up again, but not every time.

Pin, newb here, though I am comfortable/skilled at working on arcade games, so I don't mind getting in there and messing around.

Ideas?

#2 10 years ago

Other occasions it has decided my ball is dead and the flippers die, goes onto next ball. Now I have 2 balls loaded and ready to shoot and that makes gameplay goofy when one goes out.

#3 10 years ago

Just now during destroy the drill, i lock ball 1, lock ball 2 and right after it releases ball 2 back into play the flippers go dead and the ball ends. Then the sucker kiicks 2 balls into the shooter lane for the next turn.

#4 10 years ago

Id look at the trough make sure the connections are good. Ive seen other recommend reseating the trough connections. It sounds like the game is confused on when all the balls are in the trough. There are trough switch tests in the games diag section. Worth running thru those, probably the trough upkicker and shooter lane tests too. Ive not messed with a st yet, but im assuming the menu options are similar to my met pro.

#5 10 years ago

Based on other threads here, I would check the connectors to every opto that recognizes a ball. Some have seen problems with loose or dangling connectors. Just a shot in the dark, but someplace to start.

#6 10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Got in and tightened up some connectors and it "seems" to have taken care of the not recognizing ball problem.

Flippers went dead again after a shot on the side to initiate lock, ball ended while still in play.
Now i sit here typing this message as the game is waiting for me and after a minute or teo it's kicked out a 2nd ball before I've even initiated play on the first ball.

#7 10 years ago

I stand corrected, back to it's old tricks of not locating balls.

How do you set it to freeplay?

#8 10 years ago

wow...that sucks...nothing worse than getting a new toy and not being able to play with it...I hope its an easy fix and you get It figured out quickly.. good luck

#9 10 years ago

Im guessing there are small (edit-opto) boards on both sides of your trough where the ball sits on the vertical kicker to launch into the shooter lane, make sure those are snug (edit-the screws holding them in) and the other balls are properly activating the switches while they sit in the trough.

Id assume you put the proper number of balls in?

#10 10 years ago

Free play should also be in the menus

#11 10 years ago

Id put the game in switch test mode. Glass off use a ball and or your fingers and make sure each opto registers. There should be a ping when and the switch location/info should display on the dmd when you activate the switch. There is an opto on the trough too the recognizes when two balls are stacked in the trough exit. Make sure you test it too.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

wow...that sucks...nothing worse than getting a new toy and not being able to play with it...I hope its an easy fix and you get It figured out quickly.. good luck

It's a simple fix that requires adjusting and securing the Trough opto boards and connectors.
Very common in modern Sterns and not a big deal.

#13 10 years ago

Yeah we twesked around eith it, and I've been good for the last 10+ games or do.

#14 10 years ago

Glad you've had some success eliminating the problem. Ive only been a pinball owner for a few months, but you start to get more confident as you work through these issues. Its always a learning experience. Fixing and maintaining is something i was afraid of, but now i think its fun too! Pinside has been a great resource for advice too.

Hope you enjoy that pin! Have room for more? Cause they seem to like company! Hehe

#15 10 years ago

My buddy came over and updated it from 1.2 to 1.3, and it appears yo be rock solid.

Thanks guys for the insight and help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-star-trek-pro-help-with-game-not-locating-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.