Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tomass
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B53D2E76-EBDF-4ADA-B39D-C32099EBB31E (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 4 years ago

Across the board, pretty much all NIB pins loose money within the first couple years of attempting to resell them.

But, if it’s a good game and not many were made, an odd thing COULD happen at the 5-7 year mark, when there is little chance of the game being remade. The game will creep up in value because there are so few available in the open market. Still, that is rare and would only still hold true for games like Met LE, both versions of Tron, and to a lesser extent games like TSPP, BDK, and LOTR. With Stern rerunning their most popular titles, it’s even less likely now, for their releases.

Boutique games in very short supply that barely got out the door will also rise over time. Alien, Big Leb., etc. Again, exceptions, not the rule.

It’s sad to say but if you want a game to go up in value, try to buy the game from the company that is on the verge of bankruptcy after their first game starts shipping. I am not going to list those companies or games but I know that 10 years from now, those titles will be impossible to track down and more importantly, repair.

There is a BIG difference between collecting NIB or games worth 10k+ on purpose, just playing pinball for fun, or playing pinball competitively. Most often, I don’t see the 3 groups of people cross over very often. It does happen some, but these groups are usually different types of players and pinball circles. Resale value and play value are dramatically different to these different types of pinball enthusiasts.

Sometimes you have a beautiful game that plays amazing and is in short supply. Tron LE is one for certain. Like stated earlier, those games that check all the demand boxes for all types of pinball enthusiasts do not show up that often but when they do, it’s usually big $.

#57 4 years ago

Are you still speaking about "NIB pins retaining value" or "used prices for all eras of machines"? I see those two markets as completely different. Most people just getting into the hobby with some $ to spend do not look at buying "the classics". Classic non-EM machines all seem to still be going up slightly in both demand and price.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Yes, but at some point people will move to newer pins when the price of B and C classic titles approach newer pins on rhe second hand market. I only buy classics, but when a Cyclone gets around 3k, I am out.

Um, that’s not how it works. You have it backwards. Buy a classic turd from 5 years ago and sell it restored for thousands more now. Buy a NIB pin and hope you don’t loose more than 20% when you go to resell it with 1K plays on it. That’s about where we are now.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Or are you suggesting going back in time. My point is not about restoring pins. I am merely talking about purchasing. At some point the price of low teir games just does not make sense. And when a players Cyclone reaches 2500 or 3k, there is no making thousands on that resale.

You don’t have to go back in time, you have to go forward. It’s simple. Buy a broken game now for a grand and resell it for 3 grand in 5 years. Or don’t, doesn’t matter to me. It’s pretty much the norm in pinball for the last 15 years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-retaining-value?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.