Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73CAB956-25A2-4A01-ACA8-1C9C055D2F5C.gif
    B7E6107A-316E-421A-9CD6-AA8F37EE78AD (resized).jpeg
    we're done (resized).jpeg
    0AA3C7FB-94C6-4C1B-B269-AC5C1B11BA15.gif

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

For me right now it’s largely driven by theme without prior game play, which will surely come back to haunt me if it turns out to be a dud.

I absolutely need to play it, and I MUST find the hook in the game.

I have a good sized collection. So a NIB game needs to bring something special to the table. There are a lot of good games that come out, but I won’t buy them because I already have better games. The new game would just be a filler, or a status symbol. And both of those are wasted space. And space is always at a premium in my house.

Great games have a hook. A thing that when it happens, or when I do it, it makes me smile. It HAS to be there, because in my house I’m going to play it hundreds or thousands of times. The only way to find it is to play it.

So theme can influence, but gameplay (which includes rules) is required.

Then the decision comes down to the normal things. Value, space, availability.

Currently I have a Godzilla on order. It fits all the criteria, and the theme is a huge bonus for me. I’ve liked Keith’s other games, but they didn’t quite get me to buy. This one did.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

To *me*, the picture of the typical enthusiast as painted by the various threads that I read the last few weeks is fairly ugly

Thankfully the "typical enthusiast as painted by various threads on Pinside" often don't represent "the typical enthusiast". Go into some owners forums and you'll find it's a fairly pleasant and positive place to be. Go on threads like this, however, and it can turn stupid and snarky pretty quick.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I absolutely need to play it, and I MUST find the hook in the game.
    I have a good sized collection. So a NIB game needs to bring something special to the table. There are a lot of good games that come out, but I won’t buy them because I already have better games. The new game would just be a filler, or a status symbol. And both of those are wasted space. And space is always at a premium in my house.
    Great games have a hook. A thing that when it happens, or when I do it, it makes me smile. It HAS to be there, because in my house I’m going to play it hundreds or thousands of times. The only way to find it is to play it.
    So theme can influence, but gameplay (which includes rules) is required.
    Then the decision comes down to the normal things. Value, space, availability.
    Currently I have a Godzilla on order. It fits all the criteria, and the theme is a huge bonus for me. I’ve liked Keith’s other games, but they didn’t quite get me to buy. This one did.

Your comment about a game’s hook intrigues me. Never really thought about it but looking back I’m sure I’ve had moments while discovering/playing that I found those hooks. LOTR was probably Destroying the Ring or doing There And Back Again the first time. LZ may be EM Frenzy or Mothership multi-ball. Still finding it for TMNT…I’m guessing as you get more familiar and better at the games to unlock more stages the first hooks lose value but then you experience others.

Your comment about collection size and space also holds true. I’m currently in the accumulation phase where I can maybe fit 6 more over time so am less picky for ones I bring in. Once that space becomes a premium then I’m sure I’ll be more selective.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

It’s a topic where the nuance of my opinion seems fairly lost, given the responses that I get.
    I personally don’t think that there is anything wrong with high $ for rare items. If someone can sell their three year old rarity, which was a commercial flop and made in very low numbers, for $35000 then good for them.
    But for *me* personally, I’d rather buy a new pin that I like from a distributor. In fact, I think new pins are too cheap, given the demand.
    What I personally dislike, is a warped market where a product turns into a pure money making object by so-called enthusiasts where all that counts is getting as much profit as possible. I mean, I’d be embarrassed asking $400 for a freaking piece of printed acrylic because it’s a “rare” topper LOL. But if that sells, well, that’s the weird market and I just laugh.
    That I dislike this doesn’t mean that I complain about it. It just means that I won’t participate in it. And this is the reason why I buy new and not used, after I know that I like a game. Like with GZ.
    I also don’t BS with this opinion. I have five games that I would *NEVER* buy for their current market value. But I also don’t sell them, though I apparently could cash out well more than $50000 for them. They mostly sit unused except for the occasional play but the last thing I want is dealing with these money crazed “collectors”. I am more of a collector than them - at least I actually collected and dont try to get as much cash as possible.

That’s great and that’s certainly your choice! I would agree that the accessory market is a little crazy right now and I also don’t buy $2000 toppers. As for NIB vs classic, it’s really more about what you want out of the hobby. For some it’s nostalgia and they would rather spend $6000 on a Funhouse than a new Stern pro. Great for them. My point was not specifically aimed at you, more at those in the hobby that just complain about prices rising. Prices have been rising for about 15 years. It’s nothing new so choose what you want to do out of the hobby. That’s what’s great about pinball, there’s something for everyone and every budget. You can still find EM pinballs for <$500. I bought a project Xenon for $600 last summer. I bought a project Meteor for $750 about 10 months ago. Now I had to be quick on the draw and willing to drive a bit to get those deals but they are out there!

When I started in this hobby about 7 years ago I would shake my head at the NIB prices and wonder why I would ever spend $5200 on a pinball machine (LOL). That was when I was buying my first pinball (Pin*Bot) for $1000. I bought a Data East Jurassic Park about 6 months later for $2200. I bought my Whirlwind for $1000. It needed board work but I’m still only into that machine for around $1500 total, that machine sells for $4000 today. When I bought my Taxi for $2400 three years ago I was really conflicted because I felt like I was overpaying. Even that machine is worth probably $1000 more than I paid now.

The rise of classic pin prices has brought NIB pins more into the realm of possibility for me. In fact I put my name down with a distributor for a Godzilla Premium after playing it at TPF. First NIB!

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

LOTR was probably Destroying the Ring or doing There And Back Again the first time.

To War!!!!!!!!! For me with LOTR, that was the callout and the fanfare. Destroying the ring is awesome, but that callout was just the thing that got me into the game (I've owned it twice and wouldn't be shocked if it comes in a third time).

Sometimes they are dumb, like Aerosmith launching the ball into the toybox. In Tron it was "Libations for Everybody". In Metallica it is risking single ball CIU jackpots trying to double it. Star Trek (stern) has galactic mode in Destroy the Drill where you are making killer points while using the upper flipper to collect ball locks at the Klingon targets. In Stars it is the low chime of the special. In Team One it is the 50k novelty mode.

If a pinball machine doesn't have something that makes me laugh, smile, or giggle, I probably don't want to own it. At the core of this hobby, even below all the wonderful friends I've met through it, pinball needs to be fun. Otherwise, what's the point?

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

To War!!!!!!!!! For me with LOTR, that was the callout and the fanfare. Destroying the ring is awesome, but that callout was just the thing that got me into the game (I've owned it twice and wouldn't be shocked if it comes in a third time).
    Sometimes they are dumb, like Aerosmith launching the ball into the toybox. In Tron it was "Libations for Everybody". In Metallica it is risking single ball CIU jackpots trying to double it. Star Trek (stern) has galactic mode in Destroy the Drill where you are making killer points while using the upper flipper to collect ball locks at the Klingon targets. In Stars it is the low chime of the special. In Team One it is the 50k novelty mode.
    If a pinball machine doesn't have something that makes me laugh, smile, or giggle, I probably don't want to own it. At the core of this hobby, even below all the wonderful friends I've met through it, pinball needs to be fun. Otherwise, what's the point?

Bravo Sir. Truth.

73CAB956-25A2-4A01-ACA8-1C9C055D2F5C.gif73CAB956-25A2-4A01-ACA8-1C9C055D2F5C.gif
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-purchase-logic/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.