Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinchild
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

You are missing out on some great pins by not buying JJP

No ur not, I really want to like and buy a JJP machine but thus far nothing has appealed to me at all both in theme and gameplay. I just put some serious time into POTC and was left underwhelmed with no desire to play it again then theres theme with Willy Wonka and Toy Story as possible next in lines doesn't look like a JJP will make the cut. Glad for all who love them but IrM and TWD and Deadpool are way more fun for me than anything from JJ. I did really enjoy playing Houdini, I'm going to hold out on buying one till the end of 2019 in case something comes along BEddy Jaws maybe or I'd like to see what SR unlicensed pin is all about.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I think jjp early runs have been pretty poor... At least WOZ and DI. Was Hobbit OK?

Earlier hobbits had lots issues also.... best bet is to wait few months after production starts or buy huo.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Did u notify Stern? Did they do anything about it?

Frankly, I didn't think they would give a shit lol, so no, I didn't notify them.

Are people getting new playfields due to ribbing issues?

If so, I will happily submit a claim in hopes of restoring my faith in NIB.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

My PF also has hideous grain (though the clear is absolutely smooth). https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/10#post-4450797
    I recently added Pinstadium lights...for me it reduces glare significantly and the lines aren't as visible. PF looks snazzy. Since the GI is really lousy, might want to try them for yourself.
    snaroff

Great suggestion. Unfortunately the visual reflections or artifacting on metal ramps and wireforms created by the exposed SMDs on the pinstadium lights drive me crazy.

Do they have a 'frosted' version? Something like that might work.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I think jjp early runs have been pretty poor... At least WOZ and DI. Was Hobbit OK?

Hobbit had fixes needed such as beast gaps, ramp flaps, post on left habitrail. I still haven't fixed my ramp flaps due to having to remove entire ramp, grind off old flaps, and attach new ramps with rivets and a tool I don't have. They did send out all parts for these fixes, but I learned to be patient and wait for new releases to get the kinks worked out. The potc thread reassures me of my decision. Still, love jjp, but hope manufacturing gets ironed out better.

#56 5 years ago

I enjoy all new pinball machines, however when I play a few games of a JJP machine and then play a stern game right after; the JJP machine feels extremely well built while the Stern game regardless of which one it is feels like an expensive toy.
    That being said, my favorite game is my AC/DC Luci...

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Great suggestion. Unfortunately the visual reflections or artifacting on metal ramps and wireforms created by the exposed SMDs on the pinstadium lights drive me crazy.
    Do they have a 'frosted' version? Something like that might work.

Photon Merger to the rescue (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/67#post-4667421). Sounds like it should released fairly soon...

snaroff

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Frankly, I didn't think they would give a shit lol, so no, I didn't notify them.
    Are people getting new playfields due to ribbing issues?
    If so, I will happily submit a claim in hopes of restoring my faith in NIB.

Don’t listen to Pinside BS that Stern doesn’t give good customer service and not even try for a new PF. Stern sent me a new PF on my SMVE that had ghosting a year and a half later after unboxing and I was not the original purchaser. They didn’t ask for any proof of purchase or anything. Distro never got involved.

Call Chas and say your PF on IMDN looks kind of messed up. Say your TWD, ACDC and other sterns you own never had a problem. Say who the game was purchased from also. They will give you an email to send pics and see what they say. They have great customer service from my experience. Good people

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Don’t listen to Pinside BS that Stern doesn’t give good customer service and not even try for a new PF. Stern sent me a new PF on my SMVE that had ghosting a year and a half later after unboxing and I was not the original purchaser. They didn’t ask for any proof of purchase or anything. Distro never got involved.
    Call Chas and say your PF on IMDN looks kind of messed up. Say your TWD, ACDC and other sterns you own never had a problem. Say who the game was purchased from also. They will give you an email to send pics and see what they say. They have great customer service from my experience. Good people

I wish it were as simple as you imagine, but it isn't. Stern does give good customer service...no argument on that.

The issue is Chas/Pat don't have the authority to replace all PF's with imperfections...so it becomes a judgement call involving Stern management. I've owned many NIB Stern games and on this issue, I decided not to "fight" for a new PF. I can safely say that neither Pat or Chas would simply send me a new PF...that's for sure. And to really fix the issue, they would have to send me a populated PF, since swapping isn't trivial. So...it is a big deal. On one occasion, Stern send me a new populated PF for a defective AC/DC years ago. My distributor did the PF swap, and I can tell you that getting Stern to send/install the populated PF was time consuming (and involved a lot of folks).

If my clear coat was as wavy as the visible wood grain, I have no doubt Stern would take care of me (and Maken). In this instance, since the clear is smooth, I decided to live with the visible wood grain (but obviously wish that Stern's PF supplier would take more care sanding these PF's).

From the players perspective (with Pinstadium lights installed), my PF looks awesome.

snaroff

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I wish it were as simple as you imagine, but it isn't. Stern does give good customer service...no argument on that.
    The issue is Chas/Pat don't have the authority to replace all PF's with imperfections...so it becomes a judgement call involving Stern management. I've owned many NIB Stern games and on this issue, I decided not to "fight" for a new PF. I can safely say that neither Pat or Chas would simply send me a new PF...that's for sure. And to really fix the issue, they would have to send me a populated PF, since swapping isn't trivial. So...it is a big deal. On one occasion, Stern send me a new populated PF for a defective AC/DC years ago. My distributor did the PF swap, and I can tell you that getting Stern to send/install the populated PF was time consuming (and involved a lot of folks).
    If my clear coat was as wavy as the visible wood grain, I have no doubt Stern would take care of me (and Maken). In this instance, since the clear is smooth, I decided to live with the visible wood grain (but obviously wish that Stern's PF supplier would take more care sanding these PF's).
    From the players perspective (with Pinstadium lights installed), my PF looks awesome.
    snaroff

Yeah not simple but not the end of the world. You need two folks to lift and swap out a PF, take pictures and two sets of eye and minds are better than one. Of course there is a process s start by making the call.

Really saying saying don't not try beacuse you think stern hates their customers from reading posts on PS. Make the call. But they are a business and some close calls on a defect may or may not go your way.

Keep us posted Maken

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

I enjoy all new pinball machines, however when I play a few games of a JJP machine and then play a stern game right after; the JJP machine feels extremely well built while the Stern game regardless of which one it is feels like an expensive toy.
    That being said, my favorite game is my AC/DC Luci...

I agree with this. JJP games look and feel like superior quality which makes it more confusing to me that I've had so many more problems with them. I honestly feel like it is a combination of more complex things and just more things in general causing more issues during shipping along with being a newer company that hasn't perfected QC.

With that said, I really love all of my JJP games. Pirates is ridiculously fun and feature packed. Although I am bummed about the changes (which were made because of what we are currently discussing) and the lack of the theme song and movie clips, it is still just a darn fun game that has been unanimously loved at my house.

#62 5 years ago

The real differences between the companies is that one will be around in 3 years and the other will be in liquidation

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

The real differences between the companies is that one will be around in 3 years and the other will be in liquidation

Oh man prepare for a JJP fanboy attack sir.

#64 5 years ago

I will never understand the land rush to buy the first games off the line, from any company. Ideally you want to get in around the 100th machine or so. Hell, the 1,000th machine after they've worked out all the bugs.

I have a later production DI and have had relatively few issues with it.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I have a later production DI and have had relatively few issues with it.

When did they actually ad Cliffys to DIs? I got mine end of July 17..that didn;t seem early run but maybe it was.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

When did they actually ad Cliffys to DIs? I got mine end of July 17..that didn;t seem early run but maybe it was.

My DI LE came with protectors (purchased last October), but they weren't Cliffy's....I had to remove mine and replace with Cliffy's as JJP's protectors were crap.

7 months later
    #67 4 years ago

Opinions vary have bought a few NIB of both companies.

Thank you Stern for so many wonderful titles!

Thank you Jersey Jack for exceptional deep game codes and packed playfields.

My heart lies with JJP A+

Stern B+

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-problems-jjp-vs-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.