(Topic ID: 191300)

NIB pricing cash vs CC

By PW79

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

if-you-re-good-at-something-never-do-it-for-free (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I recall the good ol days before Stern's price fixing...

Back then to get the best deal a pinhead had to call/PM a distro & wire cash.

Now days prices are higher per Stern to create better margins for distros correct? Is it now common to pay the same price for a new game regardless of funding source because of this?

I can pay cash but prefer the security of using a CC in case SHTF. Has anyone used a CC & received competitive pricing?

IIRC paypal/ebay fees on a $5,700.00 game sold result in the the seller netting apx $5,100.00 so I'd think a distro collecting $5,200.00 via CC outside of ebay would be about the same.

#9 6 years ago

So on ebay a Star Wars Premium is $7,600

Or...

I can email & cold call distros for a price of $7300 + CC fees just to save a whopping $81 to $189 (depending on CC fee of 1.5% to 3.0%)

Seems like at the moment ebay is a good NIB option with a very convenient purchasing process & 2 more forms of buyer protection.

Shit I just remembered with the ebay bucks rewards program it may be cheaper to buy with a CC via ebay actually.

Am I missing something?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

where did you gather that Stern prices are higher to create more margin for distributors?.

Directly from Stern. I am not referring to the increasing MSRP's. I am referring to the newly implemented minimum price fixing that did not exist 1 year ago. They made it clear its to "level the playing field" for their distro model.

I am not attacking the distro making money. I am just wondering what the caveats are to the minimum pricing.

Big Green Egg grills have a similar business model. Dealers cannot sell below a set price but they can sweeten deals with accessories (eggsessories lol) & payment method has no impact on minimum pricing. So I wondered if the latter applied to pinball. Thats all I promise.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Some distros add $100 when they list on eBay over what you can get thru their website.

I'm already looking @ ebay prices for this comparison so for this particular case its a non issue.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Not quite. If an eBay seller is paying $20 a month for an eBay store then the max fee for selling a game is $250. Paypal, if the seller accepts it, is about 2.5%.

Got it. So a $7600 SW Premium nets the seller $7,160 and then my only incentive to avoid CC's, paypal & ebay remains to be the $89 to $181 savings which for me is not worth the risk & time. Others will disagree since we all have a different risk tolerance & value placed upon our own time/cash.

#31 6 years ago

It just got weirder...

The $7600 game on ebay after my 1% CC rewards & 1% ebay rewards is $7,448 net

But if I go to a distro its $7300 + 1.5% CC fee = $7409

So thats even worse... its only a $38 incentive to avoid ebay... wait, I forgot to wash out 1% of the 1.5% via rewards so its $115

If the distro adds a 3% CC fee on a non ebay sale then its actually $71 more expensive to purchase outside of ebay.

Looks like ebay protection, CC protection, Paypal protection & the convenience of buying a NIB whilst sitting on the toilet comes with at worst case a $38 premium or $71 savings.

Still the distro loses since $7600 -$250 ebay - $190 paypal = $7,160 right?

I guess its better than $7300 - 3% = $7,081 tho

Man, this is silly

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from DavidMP:

Don't forget to consider the added cost of sales tax when buying local. 8.125% around here.

Thats the 11th commandment actually

"Thou shall not buy NIB in their own state"

#35 6 years ago

If Aerosmith Pro is still $5200 + 1.5% from a distro then there IS a $347 incentive to avoid ebay

If we look @ a $5300 SW pro then its an aproximate $247 incentive

So distro for Pro's & ebay for Premiums?

Bros before pros yo

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

guess you will have to test it for all of us and find out..... personally id rather pay a few extra bucks to a distro and know I have a actual relationship with one incase there are issues in the future instead of me being just some ebay buyer in their eyes. Curious how your ebay distro will help you out if you end up with cabinet splitting after ebays return policy is done.

I dont think I would be the first guniea pig. The sold tab on ebay shows 17 NIB ghostbusters. Who knows how many more sold via the retailers direct website from google searches.

Several of the very same distros here on Pinside also sell on ebay so going that route makes you both a pinsider buyer & ebay customer.

I'm not convinced Pinside keeps distros in business... maybe we're high maintenance in their eyes?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I had to pay 3% more when I ordered my KISS Pro though Cointaker and used a credit card.

OK so progress is being made on concrete numbers & if I understand this correctly...

SW Premium via eBay @ $7600 -2% CC rewards -1% eBay bucks = $7,372 net

SW Premium via (insert distro) @ $7300 +3% CC fee -2% CC rewards = $7,373 net

lol it's $1 more to buy outside of eBay & possibly higher risk too

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-pricing-cash-vs-cc?tu=pw79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.