(Topic ID: 10932)

NIB Price inflation, NIB prices of the future?

By TJ141

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Here's a real question thats been on my mind lately... We rarely find NIB Bally/William's games from almost 20 years ago, and the prices are CRAZY. as they should be, because you wont find these New In Box anymore being that the company no longer makes pinball. Games like Monster Bash for example... When they were brand new on the market they were roughly $3k NIB straight from the factory.

If you had a NIB MB TODAY It would sell for over $15,000 if not more. So here's my question.

Will you be able to do the same thing with pinball machines from this era? Can you buy a NIB Stern for $6K, and let it sit in a box for 20 years, then turn around and resell it for something like $25-30,000? I think not. What do you think?

#2 12 years ago

no

#3 12 years ago

It will always depend on the title. I think that is even happening with Stern's arleady. i have see LOTR and SM NIB for sale lately for a price that is alot more than what I believe they cost new. On the other hand not sure if you have a Stern High Rollers you would be able to get what you paid for it now even if it was still NIB.

#4 12 years ago

I don't think so either... But if that turned out to be the case with WOZ, I wouldn't be suprised.

#5 12 years ago

Games from the 1990's are also rare to find HUO and those typically also fetch higher then normal dollar amounts. Part of what makes the NIB special (besides being rare) is you probably have one of the nicest original examples since most were routed. Now with all the Sterns being purchased for HUO I doubt many will increase in value over time, except for the sought after LE versions (BSM,Tron LE). But that will not always hold true since many LE versions did not increase, like Monopoly, Elvis, Dale Jr, LOTR,Avatar,RS, etc.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from TJ141:

Can you buy a NIB Stern for $6K, and let it sit in a box for 20 years, then turn around and resell it for something like $25-30,000?

I guess it's possible, but there are a lot better and less risky ways to invest that money over the course of 20 years.

#7 12 years ago

No, this isnt a plan of mine, i have never bought NIB, and probably never will.

#8 12 years ago

Freaking SM's go for $4000 used all over the place and LOTR sits above $3000 usually.
    NIB these 2 would me much higher now than when they came out.
    Now Transformers LE is TBD and WOZ will be up, how much? TBD!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-price-inflation-nib-prices-of-the-future and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.