Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TVP
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2017-04-23-10-24-45 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This has been such a hotly debated topic... are NIB manufacturers charging what games actually cost to make?.... OR are they taking advantage of a market that has proven It can afford way more?

Just in watching the NIB market over the last 3 years, price jumps sure felt like manufacturers were increasingly taking advantage of a market that was willing to pay more than reasonable price points.

But, there are voices of reason that always say "Folks, manufacturing in 2017 costs THAT Much!" And "Licenses are expensive!"

Well... listen to Chris's most recent podcast. Roger Sharpe - someone who knows waaaaaaay more about this stuff than us - tells the truth. (1) game manufacturing costs aren't driving this silly price hike and (2) people have no idea what they are talking about when they claim that a license drives the price of a game up.

Wake up collectors!

WAKE UP!!!!

We are driving the prices. We say "No" and the prices come DOWN.

Period.

We're being played and it ain't going to end pretty. Any voice of the hobby that claims differently needs to re-evaluate. When Roger Sharpe voices an opinion, we'd better listen.

#3 7 years ago

Honestly, this has nothing to do with what I can and cannot afford...

Listen to Roger Sharpe.

People that rationalize these NIB prices as some kind of manufacturers necessity are tricking themselves.

Just because someone - Anyone - has money, doesn't mean they should pay true product cost and profit +.

Your post makes my point... we have tricked ourselves into believing that manufacturers have to charge these prices to survive...
    But you have one of the industry greats saying: NOT TRUE

Go listen to the man.

#8 7 years ago

Pinnyheadhead - it took me a while to realize... honestly, the first realization happened when I woke up to the fact that companies were trying to create collectibility. It's fake collectibility.

But, as a fan of pinball, I 100% agree with your assessment. Wait and see.. buy second hand. Of course, you can buy NIB... that's a buyer's choice (and I'll do it again if I choose)... but the best option is to be patient.

#10 7 years ago

Kaneda's Pinball Podcast... Chris interviewed Roger Sharpe and published a few days ago.

Look... you'll hear a million and one reasons on Pinside justifying why Stern Charges $5.6k for a pro... but Listen to Roger. His tone and language confirm what's going on.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

So how much do you think a new Stern Pro should cost dnast?

I have no idea... but I've suspected that Stern has been cranking prices... point is: Roger Sharpe pretty much indicates that he feels the same way.

If you feel these prices are fair and reasonable... by all means, keep dealing the cash their way.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Ideally, just looking at historical prices over 35 years, I'd say somewhere between $4k and $6k. I'd go with $5k to give room for much more complex pins to cost $6k.
    -mof

Go listen to Roger....

#28 7 years ago

Often times when the price hike is discussed, folks instantly say "Well, the license adds a lot to the cost of a game..." or "these games cost this much because manufacturing in 2017 is that expensive!"

Of course, Stern can (as the poster above points out) continue to cheapen their quality and raise prices as buyers continue to shell out $$. But the primary reason we saw street prices on Pro jump from $3900 to $4200 to $4600 to $5100 is because buyers keep throwing money at Stern.

Hearing Roger Sharpe address this issue is the first time I've heard someone with industry knowledge basically say "the willingness to pay is the primary reason price rose and continue to rise."

To answer the above... I really do have no idea how much a Pro model should cost. But I'd imagine $4000 street is getting close. I do know that roughly a year ago a distributor mistakenly quoted me a price on TWD Pro (thinking that I was reselling it to a "customer") and that price was a good $400 less than the best price I was able to find.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Despite higher prices does anyone think anyone other than Stern is really making a lot of money selling NIB pinballs? JJP is their biggest competitor and has probably sold around 6k machines over the course of 6 years. 1k games a year isn't that many games when you consider salaries and overhead and factory costs. Really the only reason Stern has any competition is because the prices of games have went up. If they were still $4-$5k other companies wouldn't be entering the market and Stern would be the only player left.

Good question - I'm sure a lot of collectors would like to know that answer.

Without knowing numbers, I would have assumed JJP had manufactured closer to 4K machines... but your number could be right.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I personally gaurantee no one here is an expert on pinball mass manufacturing. Of couse Stern profits more than a few bucks on every pin. They only sell a few titles a year and in relative small quantities. We are all bias because we are the consumer. We want cheaper prices and don't give a flip of the investors at Stern. Prices have gone up but so have prices of just about everything. Stern charges what people will pay plain and simple. Same goes for the used market. I don't think TAF is worth $6000 but others do. At one time that was crazy but not now. Trying to argue it was once a $2000 game and should still be is stupid. Prices are and always will be what people will pay at that moment. If sales start dropping at Stern, then you will see changes. Right now, it seems they have little trouble selling pins at current pricing.

I agree with your guarantee... hence why it's interesting to hear someone like Roger Sharpe make direct comments about two factors that you'll read cited as a reasons that have forced manufacturers to jack prices.

I'm not implying that Stern, JJP, and the lot shouldn't go for it on the profit front... This isn't a thread meant to complain about pricing... they should charge what they can while they can.

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They've been doing that ever since the LE was invented - but the LE upcharge used to be $800, and that was a decent enough value to different art, mirrored backglass, powdercoat, maybe a shaker - and the novelty of rarity, which could turn into a financial reward. That was worth $800 to me on Met LE. Fast forward to today - I think GBLE was $1500 more than the Prem, and then of course look at B66 LE and SLE at $10k & $15k. That's official fake collectibility and an arrogant greedy cash grab to boot.
    I think Stern's Pro/Prem/LE pricing structure around 2013 was still fair-ish. Pros were less than $5k and Prems were less than $6k. People bitched about it compared to 2006-2010 pricing (less than $4k for a full featured game)....but to me seemed to be fair on both sides. Stern runs a business and has been able to grow it and hired way more employees. Games have to sell for a certain amount to sustain that. Since the games were holding their value and even going up sometimes - that was a fair deal for both sides.
    Things have gotten a little bonkers now, and I can no longer empathize with their side, as I feel like they're just trying to take advantage of their customers. The last Stern I bought was STLE in 2013, and even then I thought the pricing was too high ...I almost didn't buy it but had a "F it, why not" moment. I sold it in less than a year due to frustration with code issues and a Stern employee gleefully gloating to me how much $ they were making, and no one cares about the things I was complaining about. Sorry, I guess I'm the crazy one for expecting the extra LE features I paid for to actually be coded.
    I almost buckled on my NIB boycott for GB, but then the QC issues came to light. Same old same old. It's all about $$$.
    They've driven me away for good. I can afford their prices. I choose not to buy on principal.

Well said, top to bottom.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Roger Sharpe is an expert in licensing products in 2017. Let's give credit where credit is due. He is THE MAN in this field.
    Please tell me why you think be is also an expert in manufacturing in 2017.

Good point

There's an assumption that he would have decent idea through industry relationships and past experience...wether you accept that assumption or not is totally up to you.

No way you're going to have anyone intimately involved with current manufacturing in the industry speaking directly to these issues with any dose of true reality.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

A business with a successful product that's selling well raises it's prices to make more profit, where have I heard of that before...oh that's right, it's called Capitalism. Sorry you don't like it, I've been priced out of the NIB market myself, but it's rather pointless to complain about the success of the companies or the people who have the money to buy from them.

Who is complaining?

#76 7 years ago

Valid point... but a Stern Premium isn't $5900... it's $6800.

And was that $4000 street? Because I'm pretty sure there are some images of old receipts floating around that tell a different story

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Build quality right?
    Man that argument is lame, Sterns for the most part are holding up pretty well, I don't hear much from operators stating Sterns are falling apart or from home owners that their pins are collapsing, ok "JJP games have more stuff going" what all 2 of them and The Hobbit isn't a loaded game at all and they better be loaded when you get 1 game every 3 years or so, Stern still makes the best all around games, ok code could be quicker and quality could be better but its not like its shit and no one is forcing anyone to buy NIB wait a year or so then buy a Pre. Batman 66, Starwars on the horizon, TWD, Aerosmith way cooler themes than anything JJP has come up with not too mention by far the best LCD of any manufacturer, I like the 27" and all but Sterns fits the best, maintains some translite but gives you a nice display, I'm not a Stern fanboy but I can't stand the whole "build quality of JJP" or "feels like 90's B/W" crap. without Stern we would be in a sad state when it comes to pinball in 2017. Oh yeah..............

Hard to argue that Stern is the most prolific manufacturer... "best all around games" is subjective, but they do make quite a few super fun pins.

But, just imagine a pinball world with an inventive Stern that's comfortable taking risks with off the wall designs. Would be nice.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

WOF is actually a really good design, hampered by a cheesey theme and incomplete code. WWE, yeah that just f'ing sucks. When people want "off the wall designs", I think they just want something a little more interesting - ramps that do interesting things with divertors to make a single shot have multiple outcomes...and of course, a really cool toy. I think B'66 was an attempt at a really cool toy, but it didn't quite work. I think people want to see the Stern equivalent of something that used to wow us back in the day...Rudy's talking head, Addam's Thing hand & book case, Dr. Who's Time Expander, Medieval's castle. We had a few Stern toys like that...POTC's ship, Family Guy's mini-pinball...but interesting and unique toy mechs are pretty rare right now. Aerosmith's ball fling & MB dump is pretty cool, although it's something we have seen on other games.

If you listen to the old Topcast pods, you'll hear some of those designers talk about how much fun they had creating games at WMS. Lawlor's interview was especially telling... his story about hooking a fan up to the top of whirlwind...or the design of Rudy... it just sounded as if they were being daring. Nordman, too. He sounds pretty upbeat when discussing his WMS days... but when the discussion turns to Pirates (I believe) he sounds more discouraged.

I have no idea what it's like in the halls of Stern (and there are lots of sterns I really love playing), but I don't always get the sense that Stern is run as a company that fosters the same inventive enthusiasm when it comes to pushing the mechanics of a game. Maybe that's just a reaction to that "Stern feel" some of their stripped down games have... but I think you're right when you say we aren't seeing many interesting mechs at the moment. There's a little bit of magic missing, that's for sure.

JJP seemed to capture that magic in WOZ... but look at Hobbit. It's not there.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They could do anything at WMS because they were selling 10,000-20,000 units per game. Stern's always been more of a penny pinching company, especially post 2000 as the arcades were dying. At the end of the day, for Stern, the license sells the game to the distributor, the license brings in the player....and the average player doesn't know if a game would be cooler with more divertors, subways, mechanical features, etc. Look at something like South Park - players go "Oh, South Park!" and "Cool I can kill Kenny" and it makes a ton on location. It's actually smart business to not waste money on crazy mechs and designs....but it leaves hardcores like us hanging.

Oh, I disagree. Hobbit is a great game. Looks are deceiving. There are a lot of divertors, magnets, upkickers, etc that aren't blatantly obvious just by looking at it....but when you play it, there's a lot of magic and diversity while you play. Not to mention the most incredible light choreography, amazing modes and beautiful music ever composed for a pinball machine. That being said - yes, it doesn't have that one big "magic" toy like a Medieval Madness castle....but when non-hobbyists come over to play it, they're blown away by how it looks and they light up when something new and interesting happens like the beasts popping up or Smaug talking to them.

Just goes to show... different strokes!

I won't disagree that the Hobbit doesn't have some cool magical mechanical action... but for me, the magic is erased by the game play. But, that's just one dude's opinion. I always love hearing that someone is really digging game... that's what this hobby is all about!

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You know - I really didn't to expect to. I think like a lot of people who saw/played it at shows before it came out or early in its life - I was pretty "meh" about it...and had the same complaints about the "empty" playfield and whatnot...but once I jammed on it on current code long enough for the logic of everything to click - I completely turned around on it. Honestly the same thing happened to me way back in the day with TSPP - I was like "F this confusing ass F-ing game" at first...but kept at it and then once I "got" it...holy crap, it's pinball heaven. Probably a Keith/Balcer thing...the magic isn't always super obvious up front, and the rules depth can be daunting...but with a little patience and learning - it turns into a beautiful experience.

I've given it a fair shake in a couple of different environments. Wish it spoke to me... especially since a lot of owners out here on the east coast are selling at discounts.

The game certain is a looker. JJP makes a kick-____ game!

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

The crowd will do even more when Star Wars Super Limited Edition gets released. Just imagine all the rush to order. "Hurry and take my money"

I thought it was going to be a Super-Duper Unlimited Edition?

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

They were $6900 prior to Jan 1. Then $7100 and a few months ago now $7500 - $7600. Add taxes and shipping and it's going to be $8000 - $8500. It is what it is...
    Rob

That's absolutely ridiculous. Those are Stern Pro prices???

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-pinball-pricing?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.