Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

994D6041-9542-4C88-9AA2-A1C9BE7E5248 (resized).jpeg
    AC7F6550-3A63-4733-8342-268733C52047 (resized).jpeg
    AA495DBC-B0FC-4D92-83E6-AC5A660AA905 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

So back in 2014:
    Batman 66: had to adjust the rotisserie-8 hours.
    Beatles: Coil stop replacement on first game
    Iron Maiden: Coil stop replacement
    Deadpool: New SD card format and install
    GOTG: orb lock protector install first week
    Jurassic Park: raptor Target replacement
    Black Knight: Shield missing screw
    Led Zeppelin Premium: Adjust Rising platform
    2nd Deadpool: SD card reformat
    Mandalorian: Start button was wired as Tournament Button?

Probably missing a few, I now have my distributor to delivery and setup my machines. But things seem to break down quick in a day or two.

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like you need to avoid the NIB bullsh#$ and let someone else take the hit.

#4 2 years ago

NIB is a complete, and I mean complete, waste of cash.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

NIB is a complete, and I mean complete, waste of cash.

I’ve sold 100% of my NIB games for more than what I paid.

#6 2 years ago

No more Nib Sterns for my house.

#7 2 years ago

Ive had like 10 new in box sterns last 3 years and have had pretty easy time. Except stranger things getting that damn tk lock dialed in

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

And?

I don’t have the time to sort them and go back and forth with the distributor and customer service. My time is much too valuable.

Purchasing a mint HUO, which has already been dialed in, is a much better proposition.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

And?
    I don’t have the time to sort them and go back and forth with the distributor and customer service. My time is much too valuable.
    Purchasing a mint HUO, which has already been dialed in, is a much better proposition.

Buying NIB is a complete waste of cash, but also a much better proposition because your time is more valuable?

I had to look back and forth a bit to make sure the same person said both these things.

#10 2 years ago

All boils down to;
    Are you a Flipper, Collector or Operator.
    I'm more a Player, just want the thing to work like it was designed to.
    In this case a Machine purchased new and all the bugs worked out is a gold mine.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Buying NIB is a complete waste of cash, but also a much better proposition because your time is more valuable?
    I had to look back and forth a bit to make sure the same person said both these things.

I said that I’d prefer purchasing a mint HUO as opposed to NIB.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I said that I’d prefer purchasing a mint HUO as opposed to NIB.

I feel like a silly goose, I completely misread that. My apologies

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Quoted from Mike_J:

And?

And….so I think you should keep an eye out for chuckwurt games because I’m sure they probably sell over NIB because they’re dialed in to the max.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I feel like a silly goose, I completely misread that. My apologies

I had to reread what I wrote. No problem at all.

Quoted from Chisox:

And….so I think you should keep an eye out for chuckwurt games because I’m sure they probably sell over NIB because they’re dialed in to the max.

Thanks. I was wondering what you were thinking.

#15 2 years ago

I don't know why you guys keep putting up with this shit.

#16 2 years ago

I just received a nib gnr and have found a couple things not quite right. One switch that needed adjustment. No big deal and then there was the Ethernet board under the playfield that should of been affixed with 4 screws. Well it was hanging by the wiring and the screws were in the bottom of the cabinet. These things are built by humans and well….. overall, being the first nib I have bought things are good. Would have thought fir the money it would have been better but as they say it’s not pinball if it’s not broken. Great game. Fortunate to have one

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

And?

yeah...and you may save a whole $400!!!

I used to pooh pooh NIB but with the prices between used and new so insignificant I don't think it really matters that much any more; it's not like the old days when a $3900 game became a $3000 game when you opened the box. And most people like to "dial in" their own games I would think, regardless of where they come from there's almost something about the way a game I get plays that I don't like.

#18 2 years ago

LZ premium is my first NIB and I’ve really only had to fiddle with my spinner and level it a bit. Since that’s been dialed in after a few 100 games or it’s been pretty freaking perfect. Only one stuck ball so far in 1200 games too. Not bad at all.

#19 2 years ago

Luckily, I have had no major fit and finish or technical issues with 6 NIB Sterns in the past 2 1/2 years. Of course I dialed-in a few things (primarily involving changes to default settings) and prophylactically replaced a couple of flipper coil stops that looked a little marginal, but this is all normal stuff.

Some people have the expected good experiences, others get stuck in a enthusiasm-sucking nightmare of seemingly endless issues.

The problem is consistency, and that will always be an issue as long as these things are largely human-built. I am not sure it can be improved much at this point unless someone figures out how to automate as much of the human factor out of the equation as possible, but the hardship that would inflict on the workers would be difficult to stomach and the pride of owning a complex handmade object would be lost.

#20 2 years ago

Nib from a dealer yes. As if you unpack it and there is a issue you can hit them up

but never would I buy one on the 2n hand market . I just unpacked a wonka CE and it was dropped at 1 point and damaged the siderails and a cracked head. JJP distro helped me out with new parts under warranty
    But never a nib from someone you dont know

You don’t know what you are going to get when you take it out the box
    994D6041-9542-4C88-9AA2-A1C9BE7E5248 (resized).jpeg994D6041-9542-4C88-9AA2-A1C9BE7E5248 (resized).jpegAA495DBC-B0FC-4D92-83E6-AC5A660AA905 (resized).jpegAA495DBC-B0FC-4D92-83E6-AC5A660AA905 (resized).jpegAC7F6550-3A63-4733-8342-268733C52047 (resized).jpegAC7F6550-3A63-4733-8342-268733C52047 (resized).jpeg

#21 2 years ago

Wonder what it was like when games were brand new in the 70s, 80s, 90s or even before that. I figure they're like cars, you never buy one and something doesn't need fixed or adjusted. But the Black Knight missing a screw, come on, whoopee.

Only two games I ever bought NIB were at least in the 2000s.... LOTR - perfecto... and World Poker Tour, mpu kept resetting but it was a known early production problem with the mpu, Stern sent me a new board pronto.

#22 2 years ago

LOL. Don't encourage this guy to buy NIB JJP; He'd have a coronary over the art lifting from the PF esp when tech support told him tough-ta-tas.

#23 2 years ago

NIB for every game I buy

1 week later
    #24 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

But the Black Knight missing a screw, come on, whoopee.

Well to get a screw back in required me to take apart all of the plastic assembly behind it and even the wire frame and find this odd size screw took a bit of time. This game was on location so pretty much spent my second day fixing it
    ...yeah whoopee

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And most people like to "dial in" their own games I would think, regardless of where they come from there's almost something about the way a game I get plays that I don't like.

Yup. I've bought HUO games where I'm like "how did he live with it like this?" Smartass answer of course is he didn't, and found a sucker. But y'all know what I mean.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

... he didn't, and found a sucker. But y'all know what I mean.

Ghostbusters? Yeah, we know.

#27 2 years ago

I was dumb enough to buy that one NIB.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I was dumb enough to buy that one NIB.

Been there done that

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-or-bullsh-out-the-box?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.