Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trust.jpg
NOTNIB.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

If it's the maximum price you're willing to pay, why does it matter WHEN you bid it?

Because sometimes people get caught up in an auction and will increase their bid beyond what they initially intended to, and they will drive up the price of the item. A person in that situation can either drive up the cost of the item for you, or cost you a winning bid.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I've never understood this whole logic. You can't snipe me if I put my max bid in and it is higher than your bid. Doesn't matter what service you use. And if you beat me, then I can sleep easy regardless because I put my max bid in, and wouldn't be interested in paying any more than that anyway.

The problem is that if you make your high bid early, you may outbid somebody who wants the item and who has put in a bid that is lower than their top figure. Or, that person may have second thoughts and increase their top figure now that they've been outbid. So, when you bid early two things happen. You may invite people to keep bidding against you, in which case you may ultimately win but pay more because you've given people time to have second thoughts and increase thier max bid. The other thing that can happen is that person's second thoughts causes them to place a max bid that's greater than yours, in which case you don't get an item that you would have otherwise gotten had you placed your bid at the last second and prevented them from rethinking their max bid.

This happens A LOT of eBay. Some people get very caught up in the emotional aspect of the auction and will constantly readjust their max bid if they are outbid. It even makes some sense becuase the fact that there is a higher bid somewhat justifies the idea that the item is worth more. So, if you bid $3000 thinking that's fair, and then the auction goes up to $3,500 a bidder might say to themselves, "wow, this is worth more than I thought, so I'm willing to pay more now".

Bidding at the last second prevents that type of re-thinking (at least as far as your bidding is concerned).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-monster-bash-on-ebay?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.