Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trust.jpg
NOTNIB.jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I bought a super clean HUO NGG about a year or so ago. It still had the original batteries from the factory in it. They were obviously long dead, but they didn't leak a drop of acid.
I've seen posts by a lot of others who have had similar experience in buying a 90's pin that still had the original batteries in them. I think the percentage of these leaking is a lot lower than people seem to think.
But yeah, when it does happen, it's a real PITA.

^ I have electronics and other crap around the house I find with batteries from the 90's in them and they are long dead, but not a bit of leakage.

Basically, I 100% agree. I think batteries leaking is rare and more common in temperature changes. Like, keep pin the "barn" and they will leak.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I've never understood this whole logic. You can't snipe me if I put my max bid in and it is higher than your bid. Doesn't matter what service you use. And if you beat me, then I can sleep easy regardless because I put my max bid in, and wouldn't be interested in paying any more than that anyway.

The problem is that if you make your high bid early, you may outbid somebody who wants the item and who has put in a bid that is lower than their top figure. Or, that person may have second thoughts and increase their top figure now that they've been outbid. So, when you bid early two things happen. You may invite people to keep bidding against you, in which case you may ultimately win but pay more because you've given people time to have second thoughts and increase thier max bid. The other thing that can happen is that person's second thoughts causes them to place a max bid that's greater than yours, in which case you don't get an item that you would have otherwise gotten had you placed your bid at the last second and prevented them from rethinking their max bid.

This happens A LOT of eBay. Some people get very caught up in the emotional aspect of the auction and will constantly readjust their max bid if they are outbid. It even makes some sense becuase the fact that there is a higher bid somewhat justifies the idea that the item is worth more. So, if you bid $3000 thinking that's fair, and then the auction goes up to $3,500 a bidder might say to themselves, "wow, this is worth more than I thought, so I'm willing to pay more now".

Bidding at the last second prevents that type of re-thinking (at least as far as your bidding is concerned).

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I've never understood this whole logic. You can't snipe me if I put my max bid in and it is higher than your bid. Doesn't matter what service you use. And if you beat me, then I can sleep easy regardless because I put my max bid in, and wouldn't be interested in paying any more than that anyway.

can you please bid on my items?

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

More than likely right as I doubt three different people would hit it with $15K and decided to retract.

I did one of those to see what the reserve was.

#105 10 years ago

ok.....heads up........early on I threw 14.5k at it and didn't hit the reserve (which was 15k). Apparently that fell through and I'm next in line @ $14,100.00 (second chance offer)...he's not budging on # and said he would relist in a couple of months if I didn't want it.....I'm playing my WOZ to death, and could potentially take heat from my wife if I get this...how bad of a hit do I take if it goes from NOB to HUO? Is this too much to start with? Remember, I don't trade or do this for a living, just not sure how many of these are still out there, and would it be worth the grief..(my wife would get over it) to get something like this which might be unobtanium in the future?....thoughts please.....mark

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

ok.....heads up........early on I threw 14.5k at it and didn't hit the reserve (which was 15k). Apparently that fell through and I'm next in line @ $14,100.00 (second chance offer)...he's not budging on # and said he would relist in a couple of months if I didn't want it.....I'm playing my WOZ to death, and could potentially take heat from my wife if I get this...how bad of a hit do I take if it goes from NOB to HUO? Is this too much to start with? Remember, I don't trade or do this for a living, just not sure how many of these are still out there, and would it be worth the grief..(my wife would get over it) to get something like this which might be unobtanium in the future?....thoughts please.....mark

The moment you take it out of the box you are going to take a hit of a couple grand min right now (if you sell it right away). There is HUO on here that was at 11.5k asking price, and appears it's selling. But who knows the actual price. I don't feel like the NIB experience would be worth it, but for others it may be. I wouldn't touch this game at 15k (or likely even 14k), that's just me.

#107 10 years ago

At first I thought this would easily hit 20k, then I thought it over once a few friends started talking about it and thought it over again. Once its out of that box it's only as good as HUO.

I know someone who was offered $13k for their HUO Monster Bash they recently picked up for $6200... its possible with some hunting to find those deals! In this case I'd say you are paying about $2k more because it comes in an open cardboard box.

#108 10 years ago

thanks guys...trying not to whine, but just hoping to get talked off the fence (from fellow pinsiders that may have the same disease I have)...logic is telling me no...my damn fever to this "sport" is tapping me on the other shoulder........

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

thanks guys...trying not to whine, but just hoping to get talked off the fence (from fellow pinsiders that may have the same disease I have)...logic is telling me no...my damn fever to this "sport" is tapping me on the other shoulder........

Here I'll help you. Don't buy it, it's f&^$ing stupid. Anyone who buys this has more money than sense, end of story. If you're desperate to spend that much on a MB get a restored one, just because this is NIB doesn't mean it's not gonna have issues.

#110 10 years ago

if you REALLY like the game and want a pristine original game, I say go for it.
If you're not going to hold it for a couple years and cherish it, pass.

A beautiful HUO MB is likely to only increase in price in the future, IMHO.
If you install flipper button protectors, hole protectors, drop switch protectors, etc and keep it looking like new it will likely almost hold what you're paying now and increase in a couple years over what you're paying.

my .02
D

#111 10 years ago

I would pass and buy the one from Treasure Cove or another restored one.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

The moment you take it out of the box you are going to take a hit of a couple grand min right now (if you sell it right away). There is HUO on here that was at 11.5k asking price, and appears it's selling. But who knows the actual price. I don't feel like the NIB experience would be worth it, but for others it may be. I wouldn't touch this game at 15k (or likely even 14k), that's just me.

Yes, I agree with this. You need to ask yourself what you want and expect out of paying this kind of money for a NIB item from the 90's. Obviously there are very few people who will get to experience opening a new MB these days. But how much is that worth? It will be in excellent condition for the most part obviously, but I'd say you will lose close to $2000 once you open it.

Still MB is a great pin and very much in demand and always will be, so who knows, you might not lose that much money on it since you get to say that you were the original owner in terms of playing it first.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I would pass and buy the one from Treasure Cove or another restored one.

TC is over rated and overcharge for what they do

#114 10 years ago

If this is your Grail Pin and you're gonna probably keep it forever, then go for it. Losing or making a few grand over the years of enjoyment don't make no nevermind. Just my 2 cents. (what it's worth!)

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a beautiful MB you can setup and play immediately, skip this one and buy a restored game. With this machine, at a minimum, you'll have to change the batteries, install a Cliffy, or Kerry (preferred for virgin holes) protector, and possibly change playfield rubber. You'll also want to protect the shooter lane with mylar or similar, and the game may need minor repairs or adjustments once set up. Then you'll want to replace the ROM chip... add LEDs if you desire.. If this sounds like a part of the hobby you enjoy, then certainly pull the trigger. Otherwise, go with a restored game.

#116 10 years ago

MB is a fun pin, but needs to be in a collection of ten or more to stay that way, IMO. I got tired of it on location--it's the only DMD pin (aside from Kingpin and other such oddities) I've never owned.

#117 10 years ago

Mark,
You would be better off buying ACDC and saving your cash for another MB later. Do not do it please.
Buddy

#118 10 years ago

trust.jpgtrust.jpg

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

MB is a fun pin, but needs to be in a collection of ten or more to stay that way, IMO. I got tired of it on location--it's the only DMD pin (aside from Kingpin and other such oddities) I've never owned.

This from the man who had a HEP Dirty Harry (iirc)!

#120 10 years ago

Aurich...pure common sense, and absolutely the right choice

It's certainly not my Holy Grail Pin, but seems like the title has stood the test of time....if I get it, I'll want to keep it ( like the ones I have now)....a unique opportunity to not impulse buy, but overpay if it doesn't measure up....I like working on these as much as playing them, hobby wise, so getting an old NOB has a certain appeal. Just a lot of cheese.....crap, IDK.....

Buddy....very close to the AC /DC premium....it will be from you if I get one.....

$&@&- empty garage with one pin inside.....I'm not sure this is healthy....

#121 10 years ago

Well threw 12k at him as a take it or leave it, my second chance ends at 3:30 am...so is what it is...I'll live regardless....not doing the $14,1.........done with it....I'll let you know how it turns out....thanks for all the insight......mark

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

....thoughts please.....mark

Wise bid 12k you can justify for yourself and your wife

Walking around the carton, stare a bit, opening it, slide it out and now it transformed to a HUO ..... only 1 hour that "special" feeling .... is it worth it ? (that question can only be answered by you)

#123 10 years ago

I know...a pitiful attempt at justification......fairly confident he won't take it....I'm good with it either way at this point......

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Isn't that $700?

If it's counting green ... leave it to the Djewsey boys

#125 10 years ago

I'm out.....just can't do it for 14k.....he said he would probably realist when he gets back from the road in the next month or so........good luck to whoever gets the next shot at it.....

#126 10 years ago

And when the evening falls, and the dust settles down, all is well again at the Ok Corral

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well another thing to consider is it *may* have some issues right from the box... I bought one NIB back in the day and the plastic plate that bolts to the back of the PF for decoration had been smashed. Wms sent me a new one but I dunno if these are even available anymore. I only kept it a year or two as I found the gameplay to be only so-so (IMHO). Better than average I suppose but I suspect it's popularity has to do with the classic monsters theme and genuinely pretty package.

Though Wms did take some heat at the time for switching to cab decals... who would think 15 years later they would still be ahead of anything else... resolution-wise Maybe WOZ is the exception (and perhaps MET's cab art?)

I remember back then people thought I was nuts for spending even $3500 or so for a pin... now look at the hobby. Hey at least it's still here lol

#128 10 years ago

Yes....feeling much calmer now....and still have $$$ whew...prob dodged a bullet ( at least that's my story and sticking to it).......

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yes....feeling much calmer now....and still have $$$ whew...prob dodged a bullet ( at least that's my story and sticking to it).......

You made the right choice. As someone who is prone to making quick decisions and impulse buys myself, I realize that pinball is a bad hobby for that type of thing. Unless it's a great deal or craigslist, then all bets are off. Or unless you really think you need it. That's ok too.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Aurich...pure common sense, and absolutely the right choice
It's certainly not my Holy Grail Pin, but seems like the title has stood the test of time....if I get it, I'll want to keep it ( like the ones I have now)....a unique opportunity to not impulse buy, but overpay if it doesn't measure up....I like working on these as much as playing them, hobby wise, so getting an old NOB has a certain appeal. Just a lot of cheese.....crap, IDK.....
Buddy....very close to the AC /DC premium....it will be from you if I get one.....
$&@&- empty garage with one pin inside.....I'm not sure this is healthy....

I no longer have one to sale but its still the best new pin out there in many years especially from Stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-monster-bash-on-ebay/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.