Poll: NIB MMR vs average original MM?

By John_in_NC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“You have 8K you must spend and are buying one or the other, your choices are between an original MM - nice but not perfect (as most are) for 8K or a NIB MMR. Which do you choose?”

• NIB MMR 251 votes
    72%
  • Nice but not perfect original Wms MM 98 votes
    28%

(349 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

52a1e172d258b5eeb4edf50830fbee71.jpg
image-140.jpg
referee-flag.jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

We'll see. I'm not in any hurry.

Herbert, ever since you changed your avatar, I find myself salivating whenever I see one of your posts. Besides the weird stimulus-response mechanism that is being developed, I now have to explain to my wife why I am drooling on my iPad.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Buying an Original MM is buying a part of the history, this have a lot of value for collectors and for me.
Repro is just a fun and nice pin, no collector value at all. Almost everyone will get tired of any pins after few weeks or few months. The market will be floaded from this pin, any serious collector will stay very far from this repro.
Who really know about the quality ? Lot of comparaisons with the original will come for sure and that will affect the repro value on the reselling market.
Who know what will be the long term durability, realibility ? Cracked inserts, planking playfields, lifting clear, printing process and etc ...
Who know how many ''standard'' version PPS will make ? If they make 1-2 or 3000 more machines, that will affect very much the reselling value.
ps: I don't have MM and i don't have the money, i'm just a serious collector who like to buy original games, buy a part of what made the history.

Than you should be dancing. Original games will be more affordable. Your "serious" collection may become very grave indeed.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

New is always better IMO. I buy to play not as an investment, so having brand new coils, wires, electronics, and really brand new everything is WAY better than having old broken down coils, wires, electronics and everything else. I's a no brainer IMO.

No brainer. That's a good description of many Pinsiders on certain topics.

#54 10 years ago

image-140.jpgimage-140.jpg

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Herbert, ever since you changed your Avatar, I find myself salivating whenever I see one of your posts.

LOL

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

we poor folks will finally get to own and play one of the best pins ever made.

Woohoo! Are they offering government subsidies on these.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

we poor folks will finally get to own and play one of the best pins ever made.

Poor folks are now able to afford a luxury pinball machine at $8000.00 plus shipping?

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Poor folks are now able to afford a luxury pinball machine at $8000.00 plus shipping?

It's all relative, I sure wasn't in at 14K

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Fast forward 20 years, will you prefer a 20 year old MMR or a 37 year old MM? I'm thinking MMR will command more.

Sorry, I disagree. It seems that the people that are buying a MMR want one over an original because of condition. NIB > Routed for them. New is better than used. They want a pristine new playfield, versus one worn to the wood with a blown out Merlin hole. Makes perfect sense.

If all things were equal, with both machines being in the exact same condition, 20 years from now that factor is gone. Both technologies will be obsolete leaving somebody who is purely a collector. Original > Remakes when it comes to collecting. Comics, coins, stamps, toys, and ever other collectible over time has been worth more than a remake.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Sorry, I disagree. It seems that the people that are buying a MMR want one over an original because of condition. NIB > Routed for them. New is better than used. They want a pristine new playfield, versus one worn to the wood with a blown out Merlin hole. Makes perfect sense.
If all things were equal, with both machines being in the exact same condition, 20 years from now that factor is gone. Both technologies will be obsolete leaving somebody who is purely a collector. Original > Remakes when it comes to collecting. Comics, coins, stamps, toys, and ever other collectible over time has been worth more than a remake.

I agree, if the 37 year old mm is in = condition to the mmr, one might want the original more. I was assuming the extra 17 years will show on the older mms though. A lot will depend on condition, parts availability, reliability, etc..

#61 10 years ago

I'd always prefer the newer game. Mileage matters on pins just as it matters on cars. Boards, power supplies, wiring, coils...they all have a shelf life.

#62 10 years ago

I'll take a new re-make any day.

I wonder how many "original" MMs are truly original and not new parts, new playfield, etc?

#63 10 years ago

We were guessing in another thread that 1/3 of old pins are still around in any condition.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I agree, if the 37 year old mm is in = condition to the mmr, one might want the original more. I was assuming the extra 17 years will show on the older mms though. A lot will depend on condition, parts availability, reliability, etc..

Not to mention that's assuming that this will be the one and only run of MMR's .. Whose to say over the next 17 years that they don't re-run it every 4-5 years as demand dictates.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Not to mention that's assuming that this will be the one and only run of MMR's .. Whose to say over the next 17 years that they don't re-run it every 4-5 years as demand dictates.

PPS said that they will run as many as the market demands.....so expect many more than just the 2000 (MMrLE and MMr) being run now.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

PPS said that they will run as many as the market demands.....so expect many more than just the 2000 (MMrLE and MMr) being run now.

I'd guess it's going to run PPS maybe 4K to build these machines. I sincerely hope they sell tons of MMRs at 8, then drop the price to 7, sell them till they can sell no more, drop to 6..5... then $4,500. How cool would it be to get new games at fair and reasonable prices again? Well, I can dream.

#67 10 years ago

I don't think PPS is ever going to drop the price. You might see cheaper units out there as distributors start competing with each other when the channels fill up. Also, my guess is that PPS is not making anywhere near 50%, it's probably closer to 20%. From what I've heard they didn't think they'd fly out the door at $8K, and if that's true, they priced it about as competitively has they could.

However, I do think $8K was the sweet spot. $9K and I don't buy one. It happens when you sell a game, it can sit for weeks at $3,400, but drop it to $3,200 and you have 5 buyers. I don't think they left money on the table, I think they got really lucky (or are brilliant) and they found their sweet spot.

Quoted from John_in_NC:

I'd guess it's going to run PPS maybe 4K to build these machines. I sincerely hope they sell tons of MMRs at 8, then drop the price to 7, sell them till they can sell no more, drop to 6..5... then $4,500. How cool would it be to get new games at fair and reasonable prices again? Well, I can dream.

#68 10 years ago

They have sold all they wanted to for $8,000. No reason to reduce price. The buyer will take the price hit at the time of sale as HUO.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Number one, you are just pulling that production cost number out of your bum. Secondly, why would they drop the price by 40% if their initial run sold out faster than any pin in history?

#70 10 years ago

And who will really care 17 years from now? They both will be old ( and older).....pure collectibility ? Probably an huo or nib original ( if it even exists)...but to actually play? New is always better than old....sort of a no brainier....btw, I'm in for an MMR w gold through distributor .....I just want one to play....wish it was 6k, not 8, but whatever, I have time to save for it now.....( there went my AC/DC $$$$ though...hope I chose correctly).... mark

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I highly doubt you will pick one up for 5k anytime soon! I mean honestly they are still making ac/dc premiums and I haven't seen any for 4k used... Ac/dc prem is being cranked out like mad at the factory and yet used ones sell for 6k?
Why?? Cause it's a great game (just like MM)

when you start seeing Routed AC/DC's that have 1000's of plays on them, dirty, worn, cabinets filthy. You will see 3 and 4k AC/DC's. or even less. Lets see how well it holds up in a coin op environment for the next 20 years and then compare.

Nothing like having a lockdown bar bracket black with gunk, because of soda running down the glass and all the other crap that pours down the glass built up.

#72 10 years ago

Patiently waiting to see a MMR in person or read reviews before placing the order. It's as simple as that. The prices will adjust after it starts shipping. Hope the new MM turns out awesome!

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I'll take a shot at a prediction here... Prices keep rising on certain top machines, Stern and others will take notice and jump at the chance to gain licensing to re-issue them, effectively cutting these 12k-15k MM and TZ prices by 1/2 or more. People will line up to buy these re-issues for 7-8k. Major profit margins for the pin companies, as there is no design phase, no coding, they could run the entire machine off of a single micro-controller doing emulation of the original chips.
We've seen it in the guitar world with these vintage re-issues, you end up with an over-saturated marketplace and people arguing over pointless details about which is better based on the type of wire and capacitors used. In the end, they'll be nearly identical, if not better and way more reliable electronically than 30+ year old PCBs, and more importantly it will allow everyone to get their hands on one. The demand is definitely there if people will plop down 12k on a machine.

Wow just found this post on an old thread it was posted over 1 month before the remake was announced.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-mm-as-an-example/page/5#post-1207806

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I'll take a new re-make any day.
I wonder how many "original" MMs are truly original and not new parts, new playfield, etc?

Mine is original and fantastic.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Number one, you are just pulling that production cost number out of your bum. Secondly, why would they drop the price by 40% if their initial run sold out faster than any pin in history?

Absolutely, I made that number up out of thin air. Just a guess but I'll bet it's closer to $4k than $6K to build. As to why would they drop the price? Yes, they have a hit on their hands right now but nothing lasts forever. The profit margin on NIB pins will certainly shrink as more and more vendors & competition for the same market emerge. I'm not saying this would happen over night.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Absolutely, I made that number up out of thin air. Just a guess but I'll bet it's closer to $4k than 6K to build.As to why would they drop the price? Yes, they have a hit on their hands right now but nothing lasts forever. The profit margin on NIB pins will certainly shrink as more and more vendors & competition for the same market emerge. I'm not saying this would happen over night.

If PPS keeps rerunning MM and hypothetically they drop the price to $6500 later, it will create a problem for them.
I would assume at some point they will rerun CC AFM ect why would anyone jump in to pay 8k for any other game they repo when you could sit back and wait for the price to drop again?

#77 10 years ago

I'm not buying an MM anytime soon. I've never been a fan of the game and I know enough people with them to play one anytime I get the urge. But, if I were buying one, I'd want an original.

No matter which hobby, I prefer the original if I have ANY nostalgia for the item. That's just how I am... What's more disappointing is that remakes are going to kill one of my favorite parts of pinball: The hunt!

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wow just found this post on an old thread it was posted over 1 month before the remake was announced.

Quoted from thedefog:

I'll take a shot at a prediction here... Prices keep rising on certain top machines, Stern and others will take notice and jump at the chance to gain licensing to re-issue them, effectively cutting these 12k-15k MM and TZ prices by 1/2 or more. People will line up to buy these re-issues for 7-8k. Major profit margins for the pin companies, as there is no design phase, no coding, they could run the entire machine off of a single micro-controller doing emulation of the original chips ... The demand is definitely there if people will plop down 12k on a machine.

That prediction was so dead on that you would almost have to think they had some kind of insider knowledge.

1 year later
#79 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the poll shouldn't even exist, nor should the question if it will devalue the original game. Of course it will. It's a no brainer. Right now we have 8 MM's on route around by me. 8 of them. Ops will not sell them, due to the fact they are good earners. Now when these beat to shit games come off route. and getting 8k, or 9k for them. They will be lucky to get 4-5k. When you can get NIB for 8k, routed dirty POS's will get half. Which in return will drop the market overall. And when MM falls. AFM, CV, Totan, SS, MB, all will fall with them. It's common sense.

...and that will be a beautiful thing! I don't want to see people lose money on their pinball "investment", but things lately have gotten, ummm, excessive. Yes, buying a pin in Canada is more expensive than in the states, but this week Ive seen an 8k ask for TZ and TOTAN. So, Ill say GLWS, but as far as Im concerned, that is excessive and if remakes help bring the market down, then bring them on!!!

#80 9 years ago

This poll alone just decreased the value of the original MM by about $1K.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Mine is original and fantastic.

Oh yeah well...

52a1e172d258b5eeb4edf50830fbee71.jpg52a1e172d258b5eeb4edf50830fbee71.jpg

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Oh yeah well...
52a1e172d258b5eeb4edf50830fbee71.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Mine is also real an spectacular, but much less curvy than that.

#83 9 years ago

In am EM thread there was discussion of some "holy grail" EMs like Mermaid or Gemini - games that sell in the $10K-$20K range.

How much would people pay for repros of those games? The same as MMr?

#84 9 years ago

I get both sides of the discussion. If they are at the same price point I would likely prefer a new one. However, there is something to be said about owning a near 20 year old machine that is playing and looking great. I'd be hard pressed to sell my AFM to buy the remake if and when that happens. I don't know I can attribute that to nostalgia I guess. I'm sure the new one would be better in many ways but it wouldn't have that same nostalgia presence that the original carries with it. I could care less about value or perceived value debate. I'm into pinball as a hobby not as an investment strategy.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

In am EM thread there was discussion of some "holy grail" EMs like Mermaid or Gemini - games that sell in the $10K-$20K range.
How much would people pay for repros of those games? The same as MMr?

Doubtful. Those are more like antiques with a very specific type of collector...the reason people want MM is because of the gameplay. More people have memories of it being played, it's still out there being played on location, and it's being played on the Pinball Arcade app. Old EM's don't have that kind of current following or exposure.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...the reason people want MM is because of the gameplay.

My friends who know nothing about pinball always gravitate towards MM and it ends up being their favorite game in my lineup every time.

#87 9 years ago

At this point MM original has more appeal as hard to know for sure when MMr will actually be shipped and how well they will play. However, I do understand those who see it the other way as well.

#88 9 years ago

A year and a half later, the song remains the same.

#89 9 years ago

Drain...

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

At this point MM original has more appeal as hard to know for sure when MMr will actually be shipped and how well they will play. However, I do understand those who see it the other way as well.

I think the first ones are due to ship pretty soon...

#91 9 years ago

voted for the remake as that's the best option in this poll, but still chose to go for a superb restored original with mods less than a month ago.

I play the crap out of it, know how to fix it, and have it right now. Who knows what ll happen to prices but like others a 20 year old machine just has "something" ..maybe even just that used machine smell makes it original .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-mmr-vs-average-original-mm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.