Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Drac 2 (resized).JPG
Mustang when new (resized).jpg
1492699941019 (resized).jpg
1nj7ky (resized).jpg
droppingfbombs (resized).jpg
star-wars-may-the-force-be-with-you-by-buzzyquote-on-deviantart-irIKlY-clipart (resized).jpg
IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
Leo (resized).jpg
IMG_0867 (resized).JPG
stern_sucks (resized).png
20170407_124056 (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_6775 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys,

I need some guidance. I'm fairly new to the hobby and just bought my first NIB. Went with the Metallica Premium. Read that some don't care for the hammer but thats pretty much what sold me on the game. Anyway, it arrived today. The box did not look beat up but I still opened it in the presence of the delivery guy. My initial inspection didn't reveal any major issues so I signed and sent the driver on his way. Upon further inspection I noticed scratches along the right side of the front cabinet. I lined up the box to check and see if anything penetrated to cause the scratches. Nothing got through which leads me to believe that the scratches were there prior to being boxed. I also noticed what appeared to be a repair where the legs attach. Looks like Stern drilled holes in the wrong place for the screws then covered and repaired. I was extremely disappointed as I have been wanting a NIB for a very long time. I finally pull the trigger on one and it doesn't live up to my expectations. Not to mention I spent a good chunk of change on it. Kind of felt like I didn't get the product that I paid for. I haven't even taken it totally out of the box yet and set it up. There could very well be other damage that I haven't seen yet. Very bummed out right now. I contacted the distributor that I bought it from and requested that I get a replacement. Not asking for a refund, just want what I think I deserve for the $7,000 I spent. Want a perfectly NIB game. He advised me that receiving a perfect game is a rarity. Well, if that's the case, I would have just bought a used one for a lower price. Distributor is trying to help by contacting Stern but he really doesn't seem too optimistic about me getting a replacement. What's the benefits of buying NIB? Can you guys chime in and let me know if this is the norm in the pinball world. I've also attached pictures. Need some honest opinions on the issue.

Metallica Pinball (resized).JPGMetallica Pinball (resized).JPG
Metallica Pinball 2 (resized).JPGMetallica Pinball 2 (resized).JPG
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPGMetallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Wow.... Thats some professional work, Stern! Way to raise the bar!

#3 7 years ago

Honestly with how many threads going right now I can't believe you went NIB. I wish you the best of luck, but Stern or your distro is not going to do anything. Stern does not care, especially on a problem they will consider cosmetic, hell they really don't care about anything.

#4 7 years ago

I think the leg holes that will be covered by legs are fine. I can't tell how the scratches look I'm the photo. I suspect it also isn't too bad. I think it that were my game id probably just set it up and enjoy it.

#5 7 years ago

agreed, NIB sterns are a gamble for sure.

Quoted from Zitt:

Wow.... Thats some professional work, Stern! Way to raise the bar!

#6 7 years ago

Legs will hide the cab issue but I do see the scratches. It is indeed a gamble buying NIB from Stern - I was apprehensive opening my TWD Prem recently but I dodged a bullet.

Back the old days the fun was searching out games for sale and trying to find the most pristine out there and bring it home.

This way you get to see every possible flaw and know what you are getting.

I find the whole NIB thing overrated and frankly a little stressful these days. I think I'm done with it for the foreseeable future.

#7 7 years ago

yes, sterns QC needs to be better

but I doubt your problems will be fixed

set up your game, see if there are major issues
if nothing else is wrong, just play and enjoy your game

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

What's the benefits of buying NIB?

Getting the game first. However in the case of a 2013 title like Metallica - zero reason to go NIB unless you ran out of patience trying to find a used one.

Sorry about your experience. I think the best you can hope for is that Stern may send you new cabinet decals. I'm sure you don't want to re-decal your game, but at least if you sold it in the future, they'd be there for the next owner if the scratches bugged them.

#9 7 years ago

Most likely you will get a set of decals.

#10 7 years ago

I had head box decals sent from Stern and they were not the correct size, I think they sent me the defects. The old ones came peeling/peeled off my NIB Metallica. The ones they sent were crap so I used spray adhesive to put the original ones back on. NIB Sterns are have had many issues from electrical/mechanical/assembled wrong/etc....If anyone buys a NIB Stern, CAVEAT EMPTOR

#11 7 years ago

The scratches look awful.

I doubt the distributor will do much of anything. Contact your credit card company and see if they can help.

#12 7 years ago

Why are these holes even visible? Shouldn't the decal go all the way to the corner?

#13 7 years ago

If you feel your game issues a worth a thread go find a new hobby

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Or find a company which can competently build a pinball machine.

All of the other companies build a better machine than Stern.

#15 7 years ago

Stern NIB pricing at all time highs.

Stern cost of goods sold for NIB at all time lows.

Stern quality shitty as usual.

If you think that by purchasing a NIB from stern for $7k will mean you will have no problems, you need to rethink the purchase.

#16 7 years ago

So does this prove that we probably just need to start fully opening the boxes while the delivery guy is there to fully inspect the machine? I never fully opened one just so driver doesn't have to wait, but after the recent events, I'm going to say too bad for delivery guys. I'm not signing off until I see entire machine. Sorry you got a machine with blemishes. If you bought a new car with scratches down the side, would that be alright? Absolutely not. Good luck with getting fixes.

#17 7 years ago

I can't believe some of the responses here.

"If you feel your game issues a worth a thread go find a new hobby"

what? Talk about attitude - the guy just dropped some serious coin on a new pinball table and deserves better. I for one would be pissed as well and it's not helpful to tell him to find a diff hobby. In fact it's attitudes like that which permit Stern to continue to do this ABSOLUTE BS. Maybe b/c I'm less than 2 years into the hobby too and therefore not so "used" to this BS, but any other time you drop 7k and don't get a NIB condition - generally that's called CRAZY.

OP - work with your distro, CC, call stern - basically raise HELL. This is not the way it's supposed to be. Lesson learned is tear down the entire package before accepting - no joke.

#18 7 years ago

For me, this would be entirely unacceptable. I would work through your distributor to get it corrected. The game should be picked up and a new one sent out. Stern should eat the cost because it's their screw up. That's how you conduct customer service. If stern doesn't like it, too bad, get better quality control. If they don't correct it to your satisfaction, there are legal options or just never buy nib again from sternm Just because you sign and accept delivery doesn't absolve stern of underlying issues, it only signifies that you accepted delivery, not that you certify your game is perfect inside.

Sending nee decals is a lame response.

#19 7 years ago

Stern will (should) send you a new front decal free of charge. Good luck to apply that. But they should send that at least.

I got a Tron and the decal was damaged when I was putting the lockdown bar on, it was my fault anyway since I was not used to the clasp type lockdown bar, and the damage was only under the bar can't be seen so it was not a big deal but they sent me a new decal, I figure if I ever sell it the new owner might want to replace it. Probably not.

The leg bolt (IMO) is not great Quality Control but probably won't effect anything if the actual cabinet is sound and the leg bolts work properly.

I have a friend who bought a Met premium and had countless issues with he coffin ball lock (ball getting stuck) and the pin was out of service for a long time, but that's just the way things work out. Someone may get a 100% perfect pin some may get 95% perfect.

It's different than buying a car, if you get a defect on a new car they will fix it 100% but I think due to the cost of shipping a whole pin back and forth that it's not normal to get a new replacement unless the pin is really out of wack.

#20 7 years ago

I'd say it's not happy time, but the two defects you see are not major. Front decal can be replaced and the leg bolts are non issue if the cabinet is structurally sound.

IMO

#21 7 years ago

Thanks for the input fellas. Some will say it's just minor flaws and don't worry about it but like konghusker said, if you buy a car and it was scratched, wouldn't there be an issue? This is a pretty huge purchase for some. $7k is $7k. $7k should mean I'm getting perfection!! That's my view. To just say, "ahh screw it, just part of the hobby," is not something I'm comfortable with. I'm just sitting back wondering, for the money that people are spending, there should be extreme care taken care to make sure the customer gets a machine that is in immaculate condition. Shoot, even cell phones have tons of protection in box to prevent imperfections. A $500 cell phone is superbly protected... Why isn't a $7k pinball. I was super excited to get my new game but now I'm just bummed. You guys are the best. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd say it's not happy time, but the two defects you see are not major. Front decal can be replaced and the leg bolts are non issue if the cabinet is structurally sound.
IMO

If Stern wants to charge a premium price, they better deliver a perfect product.

I'd want $1000 back or a new machine shipping costs covered (pickup and delivery).

Quoted from GreenMarine:

I contacted the distributor that I bought it from and requested that I get a replacement. Not asking for a refund, just want what I think I deserve for the $7,000 I spent. Want a perfectly NIB game. He advised me that receiving a perfect game is a rarity

Which distributor? I think you should be including the name of the guy that's telling you this is normal. I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy from somebody telling me this on NIB purchase. Make sure you press him, and return the machine before your right to a full refund expires. If he tries to delay, be wary.

#23 7 years ago

It is like buying a new car special ordered, or anything else that gets delivered after bought. If you bought a new refrigerator from best and it was delivered with scratches down the front, what do you think best buy would do? They'd return it free of charge for a non damaged one. These pins cost ten times that amount. It doesn't matter what it is. Anything bought NEW should be undamaged. Otherwise we would all buy used and save money. Hell, most huo games have less issues than some of these QC issues on nib lately. That said, the particular issues here are fixable. The legs will cover up the holes and you'll forget about them. The scratches can be fixed with a new decal, but what a PITA. That's probably your best bet at this point I'm guessing though. As long as people keep buying and putting up with this stuff, it will always be something new from stern.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Thanks for the input fellas. Some will say it's just minor flaws and don't worry about it but like konghusker said, if you buy a car and it was scratched, wouldn't there be an issue? This is a pretty huge purchase for some. $7k is $7k. $7k should mean I'm getting perfection!! That's my view. To just say, "ahh screw it, just part of the hobby," is not something I'm comfortable with. I'm just sitting back wondering, for the money that people are spending, there should be extreme care taken care to make sure the customer gets a machine that is in immaculate condition. Shoot, even cell phones have tons of protection in box to prevent imperfections. A $500 cell phone is superbly protected... Why isn't a $7k pinball. I was super excited to get my new game but now I'm just bummed. You guys are the best. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

I agree and think the same way. As others have said if Stern wants to charge high prices fine but then a high quality product needs to be offered.

Playfield issues, cabinet issues, decal issues, mechnical issues that are not fixed post release, code support issues, etc. All are unacceptable when Stern is charging customers $5k to now $15k for their games.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think the leg holes that will be covered by legs are fine. I can't tell how the scratches look I'm the photo. I suspect it also isn't too bad. I think it that were my game id probably just set it up and enjoy it.

Cosmetically the extra drilled and filled leg holes will be fine, but with the recent cabinet sprlitting issues in that area I know I would prefer not to have extra holes drilled in my Cab.

#26 7 years ago

I agree that your nib pinball should be new in box, not a crapshoot.

Crapshoots are for gamblers.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I think the increase in NIB home collectors and their expectation for "perfection" is the root cause of most of the noise on here. These are heavy, complicated, hand built items and there should be some leeway for the occasional minor manufacturing defects. Operators get this. Most home collectors do not and think any imperfection, however minor, is unacceptable and thread-worthy and then a new bitch-a-thon commences.

That filled hole is a non-issue. The scratches aren't that bad and I'm sure they'll send you new decals if you simply ask. This stuff happens. Don't let it ruin the experience for you.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

A $500 cell phone is superbly protected... Why isn't a $7k pinball.

Then your pinball would cost $9k.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think the increase in NIB home collectors and their expectation for "perfection" is the root cause of most of the noise on here. These are heavy, complicated, hand built items and there should be some leeway for the occasional minor manufacturing defects. Operators get this. Most home collectors do not and think any imperfection, however minor, is unacceptable and thread-worthy and then a new bitch-a-thon commences.
That filled hole is a non-issue. The scratches aren't that bad and I'm sure they'll send you new decals if you simply ask. This stuff happens. Don't let it ruin the experience for you.

While on a personal level I agree with you (we both route games so we are a little more forgiving on stuff like this) stern has fully admitted that the home market is their new bread and butter and makes up the majority of their buyers now. Prices have increased a lot over the last 3-4 years, which I understand and am okay with, however prices have increased while quality has gone down again and again. At this point Stern cant have their cake and eat it too. They cant say the home market (which they know is obsessive and nit picky over stuff like this) is their biggest and then expect to have the mentality of an operator when it comes to quality issues. 5,6,7k is a lot of money for the average household, these aren't ops who are getting their money back in coin drop.

#30 7 years ago

think the increase in NIB home collectors and their expectation for "perfection" is the root cause of most of the noise on here.

Nah - Stern made the choice to go from "coin-op" to "luxury goods". They're charging a upscale price for an upscale clientele who rightfully expect a quality product. When NIB full featured games were $3500, we were a lot more lenient with our analness. Not that THAT was "cheap", mind you - but if there was a nick on the cabinet, most would let it go. Now that we're in $7k-$15k mode....yeah this shit better be perfect when it gets boxed up.

#31 7 years ago

Set up the game and enjoy it.... it sucks about the scratches but they will probably send you a new decal. Keep the decal and when you go to sell it in the future, include that decal. The game will not lose value over those minor things (at least I wouldn't expect to pay less for those scratches). Sorry that this happened

#32 7 years ago

Agree at 7K a pop I would expect perfection. I bought a GB prem that was damaged, sent back they then shipped a SM in a GB box (shit happens) sent back and finally got my NIB perfect GB prem.

NIB is expected to be perfect as it should be...

I do think Stern could up the quality of their packing material, it might save them and us some headache. I was surprised at the cheap shipping method and materials used...

#33 7 years ago

C'mon man... How do you sound right now?? Of course if I was routing the game, these issues wouldn't be too critical as it would be getting beat up on a daily basis. Not to mention I would be making money at the same time. I work very hard for my money. I expect a certain quality when it comes to the purchases I make. Whether it's a pack of gum, pinball machine, or the purchase of a new vehicle. Who wants to receive a product, open the packaging, and see that it's damaged. I don't. I took certain steps to avoid wear and tear on the machine before it was delivered. Bought the set of Cliffy's and flipper protectors to protect it and before I even set it up there's already imperfections. How should I feel?? Just shut up and play or say,"hey, there's something wrong here?"

#34 7 years ago

All products, wherever you purchase, are subjected to errors and issues. When one arises a company maintains it primary reputation from it's customer service.

Call Stern, have you pictures ready, ask what they'll do for you and report back. Stern's response will help us all understand their support for their customers.

I agree with the leg bolt issues. would inspect the inside and ensure what you're seeing wont cause cabinet issues later and that it's only cosmetic which in that case I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't put up with the scratches. A new decal is cheep and easy. It's a pain and a little upsetting but at the end of the day you need to at least remove/replace the scratches (have you tried to "clean" them off?).

Good luck and please report back after you talk to Stern.

BTW, just bought a NIB Metallica Pro and couldn't have been more happy. Distributor is Marco Specialties. I was even able to have Dirty Donny sign the translite and apron. Love this pin !

Lastly, have you played it yet? There's a reason it remains in the top 10.(#6 at the time of this post)

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from thall17:

Agree at 7K a pop I would expect perfection. I bought a GB prem that was damaged, sent back they then shipped a SM in a GB box (shit happens) sent back and finally got my NIB perfect GB prem.
NIB is expected to be perfect as it should be...
I do think Stern could up the quality of their packing material, it might save them and us some headache. I was surprised at the cheap shipping method and materials used...

I can't return to distributor. Was told I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee and return freight. Would cost me over $1500. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I can't return to distributor. Was told I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee and return freight. Would cost me over $1500. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Mind naming the distro?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Whos your distributor?

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Tell them you want to exchange maybe?

#39 7 years ago

Don't let it ruin the experience for you.

This.
Your distributor should make it good. You just purchased one of the greatest machines ever made! Fire that thing up and welcome to the club!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

All products, wherever you purchase, are subjected to errors and issues. When one arises a company maintains it primary reputation from it's customer service.
Call Stern, have you pictures ready, ask what they'll do for you and report back. Stern's response will help us all understand their support for their customers.
I agree with the leg bolt issues. would inspect the inside and ensure what you're seeing wont cause cabinet issues later and that it's only cosmetic which in that case I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't put up with the scratches. A new decal is cheep and easy. It's a pain and a little upsetting but at the end of the day you need to at least remove/replace the scratches (have you tried to "clean" them off?).
Good luck and please report back after you talk to Stern.
BTW, just bought a NIB Metallica Pro and couldn't have been more happy. Distributor is Marco Specialties. I was even able to have Dirty Donny sign the translite and apron. Love this pin !
Lastly, have you played it yet? There's a reason it remains in the top 10.(#6 at the time of this post)

I did write Stern a letter and attached it, along with pictures, to an email I sent to distributor. He said he forwarded it to Gary Stern himself. Waiting for a response. Hopefully get some answers today. I did try to clean scratches but no luck. I haven't even removed it from the box because I might not be able to get it back in. Might be some other issues I haven't seen yet.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

So it's true then - Gary Stern has a Pinside account after all! Or is this Jody?

On a serious note, I really feel for you OP. After unboxing my Hobbit, I had nothing but issues for four months. Thankfully, everything seems to be rectified. Out of the box issues are by no means limited to Stern but all manufacturers if you ask me. I wish you all the best getting this handled.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Not sure if you'd want to go this route - but if you paid with a credit card, chances are you could successfully do a chargeback and at minimum avoid the restocking fee.

#43 7 years ago

F that distributor. (Name please) Send it back or call your card company now.

There is no way I would be happy with the holes given the cabinet issues lately. If the cabinets are splitting without 1/8 of the surface area missing what makes anybody think yours won't. If stern says they will send you a new decal say ok come put it on.

#44 7 years ago

Your distro sucks. And Stern should really offer a discount or something, although I understand why they wouldn't... otherwise everybody and their mother would just add some minor scratches to their NIB game and demand money back. With all the cc issues popping up this last year, consider yourself lucky if everything else is great. I wouldn't worry about it affecting your value, they do look fairly minor. You also should never sell it, such a great game.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Whos your distributor?

I would rather not drag the distributor through the mud right now as he is contacting Stern for me. Going to give him a chance to figure this out. Distributor was well recommended to me by several pinball guys in my area so my hope is he will help me out.

#46 7 years ago

Is your distributor on pinside? If so they should be called out.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I would rather not drag the distributor through the mud right now as he is contacting Stern for me. Going to give him a chance to figure this out. Distributor was well recommended to me by several pinball guys in my area so my hope is he will help me out.

Well if its a Florida distro its likely either Little Shop of Games (Curley) or Randy from Got Pinball in Largo.

#48 7 years ago

After realizing those scratches​ are on front of cab, you're right. I'd be pissed everytime I looked at it...and that ain't no way to be with this machine. Your distro should exchange.

#49 7 years ago

For the record, it's not Curley or Randy. It was out of state. Probably should have went with Curley. I really don't want to say right now as the guy is working on a solution. The only real solution I want is a replacement which from what I've been told is a long shot. But nonetheless, I'm gonna give him the opportunity. I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

#50 7 years ago

I cannot believe people defend Stern here? Would you buy a new car with scratches on it? Or holes filled with bondo? The quality control is just plain shit! The buyer has every right to get a game in new, undamaged condition. Not something scratched up with a botched repair. Is there such thing as quality control at Stern? Apparently not.

Frankly, if I were you, I would make some noise here. Call the Illonois Attorney General Department of Consumer Affairs. Make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If you know a lawyer, get him/her to fire off a letter. Essentally, I woudl break Sterns balls until they are sick of hearing from you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-metallica-damaged?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.