Topic Stats

• 327 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chambahz
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Drac 2 (resized).JPG
Mustang when new (resized).jpg
1492699941019 (resized).jpg
1nj7ky (resized).jpg
droppingfbombs (resized).jpg
star-wars-may-the-force-be-with-you-by-buzzyquote-on-deviantart-irIKlY-clipart (resized).jpg
IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
Leo (resized).jpg
IMG_0867 (resized).JPG
stern_sucks (resized).png
20170407_124056 (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_6775 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 3 years ago

Ok, finally a resolution. The week following my issue, JJ reached out to Stern directly and advised them of the situation. Stern agreed that the game was not up to standards and agreed to arrange for pick up of the game. They also agreed to ship me a replacement directly from their factory. Shelley from Stern reached out to me to make the arrangements. The replacement game was QC'd by Pat Powers and he oversaw the boxing of the game. I received that new game today but unfortunately it too was damaged. When it arrived I noticed the top corner of the box was crunched. I knew that I had to open it and inspect this one before the driver left. After opening I saw decal and cabinet damage. The cabinet was cracking along the seams. Possibly the shipping company had dropped the machine and caused this damage. I refused delivery and immediately contacted JJ. He asked me what I wanted to do? Another replacement or a refund? Although I really really wanted the game and I had purchased a bunch of mods, the pinball gods were telling me otherwise. I decided to just take the refund and not deal with another potential problem. JJ really stepped up during this process and made sure that I was taken care of. He always answered all of my messages and replied with updates. I didn't get the game I've been wanting but I don't regret dealing with Game Exchange. Wasn't their fault but they covered me and for that I say Thank You!!

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Ok, finally a resolution. The week following my issue, JJ reached out to Stern directly and advised them of the situation. Stern agreed that the game was not up to standards and agreed to arrange for pick up of the game. They also agreed to ship me a replacement directly from their factory. Shelley from Stern reached out to me to make the arrangements. The replacement game was QC'd by Pat Powers and he oversaw the boxing of the game. I received that new game today but unfortunately it too was damaged. When it arrived I noticed the top corner of the box was crunched. I knew that I had to open it and inspect this one before the driver left. After opening I saw decal and cabinet damage. The cabinet was cracking along the seams. Possibly the shipping company had dropped the machine and caused this damage. I refused delivery and immediately contacted JJ. He asked me what I wanted to do? Another replacement or a refund? Although I really really wanted the game and I had purchased a bunch of mods, the pinball gods were telling me otherwise. I decided to just take the refund and not deal with another potential problem. JJ really stepped up during this process and made sure that I was taken care of. He always answered all of my messages and replied with updates. I didn't get the game I've been wanting but I don't regret dealing with Game Exchange. Wasn't their fault but they covered me and for that I say Thank You!!

Fuck!!! WTF. Sorry man. Find a good HUO game and play on. Its a great game...

#303 3 years ago

Glad to hear that both stern and JJ stepped up. JJ has a good reputation so great to hear.

Believe me - you're smarter for not buying it NIB. You'll get a great HUO metallica and save a ton.

#304 3 years ago

Wow sorry this doesnt have a happy ending. But it sounds like both stern and JJ stepped up and supported you. Just hate you didnt end up with a met pin....

#305 3 years ago

Yea, was really looking forward to having it in the house. Not to mention I spent about $700 in mods. SMH

#306 3 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up.

I'm glad you got your refund. I think the bigger picture here is that it should have never come to you feeling like you needed to post to gain satisfaction on a NIB purchase. It seems like you got the treatment you deserved because this became public. I think Stern's attitude on returns due to defects/damages really needs to be highlighted here.

Do you have any pictures of the second delivery?

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

the pinball gods were telling me otherwise

I would have thought the third time would've been the charm. What would the odds be of three bad ones? What would you have had to lose? The vast majority of deliveries go off without a hitch. I don't understand the defeatist attitude.

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Yea, was really looking forward to having it in the house. Not to mention I spent about $700 in mods. SMH

Sure makes that little scratch on the first one not seem like such a big deal right about now huh?

#309 3 years ago

Glad it's all sorted for you. Maybe third time lucky on HUO

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Getaway would be more reliable

But nooooo where near as much fun.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

WOW I just can't believe your bad luck but you got it resolved to your satisfaction.

#312 3 years ago

Unbelievable, I guess they need to start filling the box with spray foam. I think if I were to ever get a nib game I would find a local distributor and just pick it up there. What a bummer

#313 3 years ago

Boy what a continued black eye for NIB games! The shipping Demon strikes again! Bad for Stern and the customers. What a shame.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Boy what a continued black eye for NIB games! The shipping Demon strikes again! Bad for Stern and the customers. What a shame.

This is what happens when a bunch of Monkeys ship your games.

#315 3 years ago

Really glad to hear Stern and your distributor stepped up to the plate even if it didn't work out the way you wanted it to.

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Really glad to hear Stern and your distributor stepped up to the plate even if it didn't work out the way you wanted it to.

This. But thanks for making this thread. It makes me very uninterested in buying a NIB game and it makes me not trust the freight company. I guess in the future I'll just keep picking up games myself in my pick up and moving them correctly. That is crazy you spent 7k on a machine and then twice they screwed it up. Maybe stern should have it's own small freight company that knows how to correctly ship these items. I'd bet that would save them a hell of a lot of bad press for issues like this. Although I have no idea what the cost would be. Can't be that much for 10 box trucks and 20 or so drivers working in teams right? IDK, but what I do know is what they are currently doing isn't working.

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Maybe stern should have it's own small freight company that knows how to correctly ship these items. I'd bet that would save them a hell of a lot of bad press for issues like this. Although I have no idea what the cost would be. Can't be that much for 10 box trucks and 20 or so drivers working in teams right? IDK, but what I do know is what they are currently doing isn't working.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just beef up the way they are packaged. Double the thickness of the box, add more padding inside them, etc. It's crazy how many companies these days ship heavy things in cheap shit boxes.

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just beef up the way they are packaged. Double the thickness of the box, add more padding inside them, etc. It's crazy how many companies these days ship heavy things in cheap shit boxes.

spot on. I cringe everytime that I order more than one physical hardcover book at a time from amazon, knowing that it's going to arrive all jacked up.

given the cost of machines today, there's no reason why stern doesn't increase the size of the box by an inch all the way around and enclose the machine in a cardboard egg crate. yes, its a "throw away" cost, but given number of issues, it's something that should be addressed

#319 3 years ago

The anticipation of shipping damage is what makes me not want to do another NIB, even with the recent QC stuff. My first Metallica had a forklift stuck through the cabinet, second one arrived OK. Was completely surprised by how minimal the packaging was.

Glad you found a resolution, even if it meant not having the game right now.

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Not to mention I spent about $700 in mods.

Have any mods for sale?

#321 3 years ago

The last couple new in box games I've gotten were not even strapped down in the delivery truck, one hard hit to the brakes and the game would of slammed down on its side. I ended up selling my NIB GBLE and when the shipper showed up to get it he rolled the game into the truck and went to shut the door, I asked him to put a strap around the game so it didn't flop over if he cranked a corner or hit the brakes. The driver was like "that's a good idea" turns out he didn't have anything to secure the game with, so I gave him a ratcheting tie down strap. These games get treated like a $300 piece of furniture in shipment, it's a shame!

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have any mods for sale?

Glad you asked. Lol!!

TOPPER
CUSTOM HAMMER
CLIFFYS FULL SET
CEMETARY ARCH
SPARKY HELMET WIRE
YELLOW FLUORESCENT PLASTIC PROTECTORS
SNAKE FANGS/DECAL
SNAKE PLASTIC/DECAL
SNAKE MOUTH LED
NEWTON BALL
FUEL GEL INSERTS

#323 3 years ago

It would really be beneficial to pack these machines a lot better. Like I said in a previous post... A $500 cell phone has more protection to it. Extra padding and maybe wrapping in some sort of plastic should do the trick. Why not?? It would alleviate some of the shipping damage issues.

#324 3 years ago

I have only bought one NIB game and it went well but I picked it myself.

Packaging always seems like an after thought with companies, though they should be running rough handling tests and tests handling outside of normal conditions. I work for a manufacturer and we have to do flat drops on full units from a certain height depending on weight, we also have to drop it on corners, and simulate transit conditions. Sounds like further development needs to be done on their packaging, maybe some EPS corner pieces or something to distribute the load through packaging reinforcement pieces (if they exist) instead of the cabinet itself.

Glad things worked out, but bummed you didn't get a machine that met your expectations. It was reassuring to see all parties step up and resolve the issue.

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Unbelievable, I guess they need to start filling the box with spray foam. I think if I were to ever get a nib game I would find a local distributor and just pick it up there. What a bummer

Use a local distributor and have them unbox it either at their business or your home if they deliver.

#326 3 years ago

I

Quoted from dmbjunky:Use a local distributor and have them unbox it either at their business or your home if they deliver.

The closest local guy is Curly and he's about 5 hours away from me. If anyone knows any distributors in the South Florida area let me know.

#327 3 years ago

Great to see that Stern stepped up and made things right.
This is the sort of support that I expect when buying NIB games.
They don't always get it perfect, but it's acceptable in my opinion, provided they fix their mistakes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside