Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Drac 2 (resized).JPG
Mustang when new (resized).jpg
1492699941019 (resized).jpg
1nj7ky (resized).jpg
droppingfbombs (resized).jpg
star-wars-may-the-force-be-with-you-by-buzzyquote-on-deviantart-irIKlY-clipart (resized).jpg
IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
Leo (resized).jpg
IMG_0867 (resized).JPG
stern_sucks (resized).png
20170407_124056 (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_6775 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

My concern is with people who think this is normal and the buyer should just deal with it. That's completely ridiculous.

It's insanity.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So just for the record here - I've heard that JJ is a great distributor. My amazement is not with him or the process it takes to get something fixed. To me, JJ seems like he is moving quickly and trying to get this resolved. Not sure about that restocking fee comment (as that's not right in this situation) but ultimately JJ is working to take care of it.
My concern is with people who think this is normal and the buyer should just deal with it. That's completely ridiculous.

Exactly.

All I need to hear:

The distributor or Stern won't try and charge a restocking fee, or pass off damage concerns as normal condition for NIB.

#153 7 years ago

Send it back and they can send you one with the new sturdier cabinet.

#154 7 years ago

Reminds me of the time I had some fender-bender damage and had our local Ford dealer do the repair. They misaligned the work, and snapped a mounting tab on the brand new headlight by over-tightening the bolt. I took it back and showed the service manager. His response: "I can take you to any one of the new cars here on the lot, and show you that they have issues too."

I was fuming. I told him to show me a hood where the gap on the left is .0001 inches from the fender, and the gap on the right is .75in. And to show me a broken tab on the headlight. Then I asked him if that's what the salesmen also say when they are selling those cars on the lot.

#155 7 years ago

If anybody can get this resolved its JJ. I completely trust him. Even if Stern sticks it to the OP, JJ wont settle for anything that's not right.
JJ treats people how he would want to be treated, that's why I have confidence in his ability to resolve issues like this.

#156 7 years ago

Airing of grievances? Pinside - where everyday is Festivus!

Seriously, let JJ do his job. He has helped many people in Northern California and will come though for the OP. He has my support

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They need to either outlaw "f-bombs" here or allow them. I don't get the fuckin' vague "gray area" on this issue.

I don't get the "reporting of f-bombs", are we in 6th grade here? Is someone damaged because they read the word fuck? Please, some need to grow up and put some big boy pants on.

#158 6 years ago

Surely the best solution is a new bottom cab ? Pre wired with the transformer, speaker etc. Swap the playfield and the backbox then return the original cab to Stern/distributor. Sending decals is a shitty solution for someone who has never applied decals before.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

If anybody can get this resolved its JJ. I completely trust him. Even if Stern sticks it to the OP, JJ wont settle for anything that's not right.
JJ treats people how he would want to be treated, that's why I have confidence in his ability to resolve issues like this.

+1 Had the same experiences with JJ
I've had some issues with stern in the past, absolutely felt like jj went to bat for me 100%. Never had him be dismissive of a problem and always felt like he's given me honest feedback. Since he's a large distributor, Stern takes him seriously, if anyone can get this resolved it's JJ. Hang in there OP. It'll likely take a while, but I have no doubt JJ will do the right thing, rest assured knowing you picked the right distributor

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They need to either outlaw "f-bombs" here or allow them. I don't get the fuckin' vague "gray area" on this issue.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I don't get the "reporting of f-bombs", are we in 6th grade here?

This is a family-friendly forum with people of all ages visiting it. Please be respectful of that. Cursing is fine when using sparingly, but there were more than a few f-bombs dropped in this thread that were specifically directed at individuals or groups. That's what most people took issue with.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This is a family-friendly forum with people of all ages visiting it. Please be respectful of that. Cursing is fine when using sparingly, but there were more than a few f-bombs dropped in this thread that were specifically directed at individuals or groups. That's what most people took issue with.

Why don't you go outside and play a good old fashioned game of hide and go ____ yourself?

Just kidding. Had to chime in with something, and didn't want to be dramatic.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can dig it. So we are talking PG-13, not a hard R.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only people with red hearts next to their avatar can drop F bombs

#165 6 years ago

Maybe we can all just speak in Johnny Dangerously-ese, you farging iceholes!

#166 6 years ago

It's amazing how low the bar is set with a NIB. My first thought is that is not so bad and i would probably just live with it. I have seen so much worse posted here and my perception is that it would just be a hassle to sort out. That being said it's completely insane that shit like this happens. Also my perception may be completely wrong maybe Stern will sort it right out for him. They really need to work on PR though because I suspect a lot of people share my perception.

#167 6 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback received. I see that there is a good mix of opinions. Didn't intend for this thread to become so popular. Was just looking for advice on what I should do going forward. I believe that getting a replacement game is what is right. I'm not asking for a refund. I'm asking for a game that is worth my $7K. I work extremely hard to support my family and when I purchase something for myself I want it to be what is stated on the packaging. I bought a new in box game. I did not buy a a repaired, scratched, in a box game. Some Insiders have said... Stop Bitchin!! Just set it up, play and you'll forget the imperfections... It's part of buying a NIB game. Nope, I'm not going to accept anything less than perfect when I'm spending hard earned money. That's fine if you want to brush it off and accept issues with games and keep it moving. That's your right and if it doesn't bother you then so be it. It bothers me and I want what I paid for. Not sure who should be responsible or who should step up. Distributor or Stern?? That being said, JJ has reached out to me today and given me some potential options that he thinks Stern may agree to. One of those options was a replacement which he said is gonna be very difficult to obtain but will fight for. I'm gonna give him a couple days and see what happens. I know everyone is interested to see what happens with the process so I'll be keeping everyone posted.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WTF (resized).jpegWTF (resized).jpeg

#169 6 years ago

Pinside sure has made the lives of Stern distributors hell.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You mean people seriously run to you mods and go wha wha wha they said a bad word? Crazy

#171 6 years ago

So what words can we actually say? You need to give us a list so we know just what explicatives are allowed.

#172 6 years ago

If you have questions, please open a moderator feedback thread to discuss it.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Did you read the rest of my posts?

Quoted from metallik:

Possibly. It sounds like you told him then that he shouldn't expect a perfect game and would be looking at 20% to return it. Then you apparently slept on it and decided that wasn't good customer service.

metallik basically summed it up for me.
That said; It seems that you've come back with a better response so my pitchforks are back in the shed.

I'm really sorry that Stern has put you in this situation. I'm with the OP here; if Stern had shipped my STLE like that I'd be pissed and be expecting a new game for poor cabinet damage. That kinds of work is just another example of Stern not caring about the end customer and owning up to "quality control".

As the "voice" for stern... since they don't deal directly with the customers; I hope you are impressing upon them that their QC issues and junk code implementations are actually costing both of you customers.

#174 6 years ago

My nib Metallica had a chunk of wood missing. Visible under the glass, really annoying, luckily there are decals for sale that will cover it but that's not the point. The cabinet maker, the painter, the decal fitter, the side rail fitter, and a whole host of staff will have seen it and let it pass by. Ok, they are just staff on a line but a production line must surely have someone who tests and examines and signs off on the finished article, and I feel let down that they think a visable chunk of wood missing, or in your case a scratched cabinet is acceptable to let out the doors when we're paying top dollar. Uncool big time Stern!!

20170407_124056 (resized).jpg20170407_124056 (resized).jpg

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

My nib Metallica had a chunk of wood missing. Visible under the glass, really annoying, luckily there are decals for sale that will cover it but that's not the point. The cabinet maker, the painter, the decal fitter, the side rail fitter, and a whole host of staff will have seen it and let it pass by. Ok, they are just staff on a line but a production line must surely have someone who tests and examines and signs off on the finished article, and I feel let down that they think a visable chunk of wood missing, or in your case a scratched cabinet is acceptable to let out the doors when we're paying top dollar. Uncool big time Stern!!

This is why I just can't buy NIB. There is no excuse for shit like that. It is a clear example of a company that simply does not give a fuck.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Man That is one hell of a cool pic! Even though it is sad. That would have been a deal breaker for me.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Man That is one hell of a cool pic! Even though it is sad. That would have been a deal breaker for me.

Not what you would hope for but far from a deal breaker for me. I would have made stern buy me a set of mirror blades and not worried about it.

#178 6 years ago

Stern should come out with a WE edition.

The Whiner Edition will cost an extra $2k and have a special inspection and special crating.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

The Whiner Edition will cost an extra $2k and have a special inspection and special crating.

u know what; I'd pay that to have a perfect freaking machine that is guaranteed to be functional and defect free.
I know you are trying to be cute; but the fact is that some of us expected perfection when we put down that kind of money.
I don't think improperly drilled leg holes is a sign of good workmanship at $7k. But obviously some people think it's ok.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Not what you would hope for but far from a deal breaker for me. I would have made stern buy me a set of mirror blades and not worried about it.

When I buy NIB It needs to be new, Not gouged in the box, not scratched in the box, not smashed in the box, not crushed in the box, not ghosted in the box, not chipped in the box......

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Stern should come out with a WE edition.

Jeez, it would sure as hell beat the 7K Rip Off Edition that Stern now peddles.

#182 6 years ago

Just realized something.... this thread is not really titled correctly. It should read NIB Metallica defective from the factory. Damaged eludes to was built and manufactured properly and then something happened...

#183 6 years ago

Jesus I can't wait till SW nib owners turn Pinside into a mushroom cloud. Will be time for me to take a purge/vacation.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

metallik basically summed it up for me.
That said; It seems that you've come back with a better response so my pitchforks are back in the shed.
I'm really sorry that Stern has put you in this situation. I'm with the OP here; if Stern had shipped my STLE like that I'd be pissed and be expecting a new game for poor cabinet damage. That kinds of work is just another example of Stern not caring about the end customer and owning up to "quality control".
As the "voice" for stern... since they don't deal directly with the customers; I hope you are impressing upon them that their QC issues and junk code implementations are actually costing both of you customers.

Well, I think this brings up some pretty valid issues for buying NIB Sterns overall.

1) Contacting Stern directly, the OP was told he could not return the purchase to the distributor

What's the point of having a distributor then?

2) If he shipped it back to the factory, he'd be hit with a 20% restocking charge

No way, no how is this ok for a damaged or defective purchase. Gex's policy is 30% restocking, which he stated was flexible, but moot if Stern is saying the buyer can't return the purchase to the distributor. Again, what's the point of having a distributor?

It's not Stern bashing to point this out. The quality of their machines continues to dive as the price climbs. Home buyers are the pinball market for Stern, and they expect a whole, intact product for their money.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Just realized something.... this thread is not really titled correctly. It should read NIB Metallica defective from the factory. Damaged eludes to was built and manufactured properly and then something happened...

Damage Inc ?

#187 6 years ago
#188 6 years ago

Looking at the bolt holes in question, there seems to be a continuation of pattern in the wood grain. Is it possible that a jig to drill leg holes was improperly placed on the corner of the cabinet and made indentations and no actual holes were drilled in the wrong place?

Also OP, could you post pictures of the scratched decal from a little ways away so we can see it in perspective? Just trying to get an accurate picture before choosing a side. Either way, I think GEX could have been given 72 hours or more to come up with a solution before this thread was started.

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Jesus I can't wait till SW nib owners turn Pinside into a mushroom cloud.

It's going to be EPIC!!!!!!

#190 6 years ago

Stern must be starting to wonder if catering to pinside and their users "dream themes" was such a good idea after all. I'm sure once was a time they sent out machines with a few blemishes and that was that.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Stern must be starting to wonder if catering to pinside and their users "dream themes" was such a good idea after all. I'm sure once was a time they sent out machines with a few blemishes and that was that.

You mean like the bricked bottom on some of my older Williams SS titles. Man I could see it now.

#192 6 years ago

I mean any scratch. It's a whole new set of buyers pinball companies have to try to please now.

Gone are the days when these machines were slammed down on location with the intent to hold so many quarters the bottom would bust out. And they were a great place to stick your bubblegum when you were done chewing it too.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Stern customer service in a nutshell.

That wins "post of the week" from me. Well done.

#194 6 years ago

Why are so many here so eager to carry Stern's water? Some act like they're part owners of the company rather than the consumers that they are. I don't understand the human psychology behind working against your own best interests. It's almost as if some feel more sorry for Stern having to field complaints than for the people who've gotten a shoddy product from them.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

It's almost as if some feel more sorry for Stern having to field complaints than for the people who've gotten a shoddy product from them.

I'm just an observer not defending anybody, and I have observed numerous threads like this over the last year or so. Lots of complaints and lots of problems, but that doesn't seem to stop people from buying them.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Some Insiders have said... Stop Bitchin!! Just set it up, play and you'll forget the imperfections... It's part of buying a NIB game. Nope, I'm not going to accept anything less than perfect when I'm spending hard earned money.

And some of those guys will go ape shit when you try and sell them the game. "oh well the cabinet is scratched.... and look at this repaired cabinet... no way I'm paying top dollar for that".....

This is exactly one of the reasons why Stern is not getting any of my money until they get their head out of their ass.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Pinside sure has made the lives of Stern distributors hell.

No Stern has made the distributors life hell. Their testing and quality control are gone! They are going to go bankrupt if they don't fix things fast. Sooner or later a class action lawsuit will come if they don't clean up their act. When they raise the prices of the game people expect more. The GB issue was the end of my relationship for me with new stern games. They did little to help the problem.

#198 6 years ago

This is crazy, I would be not be satisfied until I got a replacement machine. The scratches are one thing, but the covered up holes is just bad craftsmanship, no pride in what they were building and un-acceptable.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

And some of those guys will go ape shit when you try and sell them the game. "oh well the cabinet is scratched.... and look at this repaired cabinet... no way I'm paying top dollar for that".....
This is exactly one of the reasons why Stern is not getting any of my money until they get their heads out of their ass.

You're absolutely correct. To the guys that are saying it's no big deal. You're full of shit. If a distributor were to tell you... I have this awesome top ten NIB game in stock but it has scratches on front decal and some sort of repair to the cabinet selling at retail, every last one of you would say... Hell no, I don't want that!! And if you say you would purchase it, you're lying to yourself. Why would anyone knowingly purchase a less than perfect 7K machine?? Because it's become the norm in the industry?? Screw that!! Granted I'm new to this but that's unacceptable for the money being shelled out for these games. I never was looking for anyone to take sides in this thread. I was simply looking for a little advice so that I could make an informed decision. A lot of people went to bat for me which I am so appreciative of because honestly, last night after receiving this game, I truly felt helpless because of the info I received. Luckily, it looks like JJ is doing what he can to do what is right.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

You're absolutely correct. To the guys that are saying it's no big deal. You're full of shit. If a distributor were to tell you... I have this awesome top ten NIB game in stock but it has scratches on front decal and some sort of repair to the cabinet selling at retail, every last one of you would say... Hell no, I don't want that!! And if you say you would purchase it, you're lying to yourself. Why would anyone knowingly purchase a less than perfect 7K machine?? Because it's become the norm in the industry?? Screw that!! Granted I'm new to this but that's unacceptable for the money being shelled out for these games. I never was looking for anyone to take sides in this thread. I was simply looking for a little advice so that I could make an informed decision. A lot of people went to bat for me which I am so appreciative of because honestly, last night after receiving this game, I truly felt helpless because of the info I received. Luckily, it looks like JJ is doing what he can to do what is right.

Can you tell if the misplaced bolt holes go all the way through? Someone suggested it could be marks from a jig and not holes drilled completely through. I could see that as a possibility.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-metallica-damaged/page/4?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.