Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Drac 2 (resized).JPG
Mustang when new (resized).jpg
1492699941019 (resized).jpg
1nj7ky (resized).jpg
droppingfbombs (resized).jpg
star-wars-may-the-force-be-with-you-by-buzzyquote-on-deviantart-irIKlY-clipart (resized).jpg
IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
Leo (resized).jpg
IMG_0867 (resized).JPG
stern_sucks (resized).png
20170407_124056 (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_6775 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 7 years ago

Bet if they held a Scratch and Dent sale, and took $500 off list price, they'd end up being better off. The buyer would know exactly what they are getting and be happy about it, and the distributors and Stern wouldn't have to put in any time trying to figure out a fix, and then ship or replace that fix.

Other places do the same, why couldn't Stern. Would help out with PR as I keep seeing posts about how their NIB game was shipped with errors.

#102 7 years ago

The scratches should warrant a decal, for sure. I'm not so sure about the leg bolt holes. Would I be mad about it? Sure. But my NIB AC/DC had a few minor scuffs from the factory (seriously, minor) and my GBLE had a couple of dents from packing it up. It happens. It doesn't mean that it's not disappointing.

The real issue is that it won't affect anything on how the game plays at all, but some jerk will hammer the OP about condition if/when he tries to sell the game. I get that he doesn't want something on his game that somebody is going to want to ding him $300-$400 for, especially for something that was present direct from the factory.

Personally, I wish we could chill a bit more about those little flaws when buying a game. As long as the playfield is in good shape and there's no structural damage, I tend to let any other little concerns just go. Maybe it means that have a cab with a hidden ding or scratch in my row of pins, but nobody ever cares until I try to sell it on Pinside and suddenly it's a HUGE ISSUE.

All that said, because of the resale value issue, I hope the OP gets taken care of properly by Stern.

#103 7 years ago

Set it up. Play the sh$t out of it and enjoy it. Your new decal will show up someday and if you feel like replacing it at that time then that is up to you. I wouldn't expect any return or a different machine.

#104 7 years ago

If I were Stern, the most I would do is send out a new cabinet with decals and everything wired.

The least I would do is send out a new decal.

#105 7 years ago

Its not fair to him. If he ever decides to sell it those filled holes will be used against his asking price and thats not his fault. I have sold machines locally and many pinball buyers are very picky and those holes would be the most obvious flaw on machine, which he had nothing to do with. I hope you get a resolution. Your distributor is your best chance to make it right.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Stern customer service in a nutshell.

No, it's " we will f you then you can go f yourself".

#107 7 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Folks, please try to refrain from the excessive use of f-bombs. We are getting an incredible number of reports about them in this thread today.

#108 7 years ago

This is pure bullshit on Stern's part. Why the are they repairing cabinets that were incorrectly drilled? To keep costs down? OK fine, but use that cabinet for a pro, not a Premium or LE that is 90% going to a collector's home and not on a route. This is piss poor QC on Stern's part. I would absolutely demand a new lower cabinet with decals already installed as it would solve both issues.

They keep raising prices, but this is the shit we get in a box.

#109 7 years ago

How can anyone who has seen Stern's assembly line expect perfection? All my older Stern's have flaws from the factory including my BSM which was made for home collectors. The touch up by Stern on one of my playfields with what appears to have been a green sharpie is much worse then the issues with this MET.

I'm as anal and OCD as they come but have learned if you expect perfection in this hobby more times then not you will be let down. Stern increased prices because people were willing to keep paying it, not because they started putting out a better quality product.

#110 7 years ago

Absolutely Play Hardball...
If you did not purchase by CC that is simply a mistake to save a paltry $250-300 when dealing with the craptastic Stern distribution model.
1. Demand a new game or refund. Use your CC and consumer rights 100%. If you are fortunate to be refunded, buy HUO.
2. If that doesn't pan out, demand the defects to be repaired/replaced by a qualified tech.
3. If that doesn't pan out demand a credit between $400-$1000 and replacement parts and call it a day if you can live with that.

#111 7 years ago

Stop buying their shit

#112 7 years ago

Interesting thread for sure.

Threads like these remind me that new pin buyers should always start with a used, cheap game. They will learn what it takes to maintain a game and what cosmetic issues mean to a game. Some people decide that ownership is not for them.

Use local distributors so they can unbox a game before you take it home or have them set it up in your home. There is no plus to setting the game up yourself.

Op, you should set up and enjoy your game. The filled holes are not a big deal structurely or cosmetically. Stern will send you a new decal for the front to do with what you wish.

Have fun with a great game.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm said the chances of getting a 100% perfect game is not great.. They are hand built items. I didn't want him to get false hope of getting another game and having minor issues with it. Did not want to set up false exceptions. How do you think this would go if it was Starburst who is your guys distributor up in Canada?

That's sleazy slink around the issue.

The guy comes to you with damage on a NIB game you sold him, and you shrug your shoulders and say "Meh, it's handmade....can't be perfect! ....I'm gonna have to keep 20%, if you want to return it". Bullshit.

He's entitled to return it at his shipping cost one way, for a full refund. It's a little different state to state, but it is his right as a resident of Florida. He is not returning an item for being a flaky customer nor is he playing it then changing his mind. He purchased a new product that was DAMAGED. He doesn't have to settle for repair or exhange. He can get his money back. Waiting for Stern to reply isn't his responsibility, it's yours. As the distributor, you should be working with him so that he's happy, and if you can't....give him his money back.

Starburst would be taking back a damaged item, or discounting it until it was worth keeping.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This isn't Walmart bro.
Free returns in the pinball biz and you are out of business before the all-star break.

I have no issue with a restocking fee for people that simply changed their mind and bring back a product, which is what that protects against. I do have issue when a retailer attempts to hide behind a fee for returning damaged goods.

Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I had a Kiss with bad decals: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unhappy-with-my-kiss-decals
Stern wanted to give me new decals but my dealer gave me a new pinball machine.

EU consumer protections would have torn him apart.

#114 7 years ago

Sorry but I still can't believe people are coming into this thread and defending stern or better yet - saying things like stop complaining and start flipping. Please. What a bunch of BS. Unless these are stern employees - it's almost unbelievable that a flawed product being delivered to a person is the buyer's fault.....AND AT 7k!!!

Did the OP purchase a NIB MET with scratches and cab issues? No - he bought a brand new pinball machine. As for the person saying he should know what he's buying and if it's happened before, expect it can happen again......REALLY? So we're going to use defects/issues in the past to wipe away the sellers responsibilities?

This thread is so crazy yet frustrating b/c CONSUMERS on these boards are actually defending this BS. Stern must be having a party right now.

OP has every right to make a thread about this. Distro decided to jump in and name names not him. If I was new and bought my first NIB and this happened I would share it here too so I can learn how to best resolve the situation.

OP best of luck.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sorry but I still can't believe people are coming into this thread and defending stern or better yet - saying things like stop complaining and start flipping. Please. What a bunch of BS. Unless these are stern employees - it's almost unbelievable that a flawed product being delivered to a person is the buyer's fault.....AND AT 7k!!!
Did the OP purchase a NIB MET with scratches and cab issues? No - he bought a brand new pinball machine. As for the person saying he should know what he's buying and if it's happened before, expect it can happen again......REALLY? So we're going to use defects/issues in the past to wipe away the sellers responsibilities?
This thread is so crazy yet frustrating b/c CONSUMERS on these boards are actually defending this BS. Stern must be having a party right now.
OP has every right to make a thread about this. Distro decided to jump in and name names not him. If I was new and bought my first NIB and this happened I would share it here too so I can learn how to best resolve the situation.
OP best of luck.

Stern and the distributors can't replace every machine for a scratch. How do they know it didn't happen from the time it was opened in front of the delivery guy to moving it in the basement? (I'm not saying that's what happened in this case) So now everytime someone gets a scratch on their machine they can just expect a new one shipped to their door and the old one shipped back? Or if I regretted the purchase just make a scratch in it and say take it back? All I would expect is a new decal and nothing else in this case.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm going to Hop In here. First I am the Distributor!

Sorry, but you just lost this person as a future customer.
Why? because this person is clearly unhappy with the quality received from your manufacturer... and you say he has to do 20% restocking and pay return freight?
That is not customer orientation. Clearly this unit was sent from Stern defective and they put you in rock and a hard place. Not the right thing to do to place make him pay to restock.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OP best of luck.

1 or 2 may blutabtly defend stern saying the OP should shrug it off; but what's worse are the ass hats who have no pony in the race, have never bought a stern NIB, and have nothing better to do but repeatively bash The process it takes to correct issues. It hasn't even been 24 hours! Hilarious. Give stern and GEX a chance to go through the steps to get it right; sheesh.

#118 7 years ago

There is no way I would settle for a decal! I wouldn't even settle for a full set of decals! Once you replace the decals on a cabinet that game is never the same! A new game is exactly that... A new game! If I buy a new game I want a new game not a redecaled game not a game with goof holes covered up. People that pay the high cost for a NIB game should get a pristine new game! I don't care who they are Operator Collector Player ect...

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Why? because this person is clearly unhappy with the quality received from your manufacturer... and you say he has to do 20% restocking and pay return freight?
That is not customer orientation. Clearly this unit was sent from Stern defective and they put you in rock and a hard place. Not the right thing to do to place make him pay to restock.

No offense, but Maybe you should reread all GEXs posts, words, and get the story right before you start taking things out of context like so many ppl like to do on this site.

#120 7 years ago

Question for the OP:

Was this sent from Gex's warehouse, or was it drop shipped from Stern directly? Might explain a few things.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

No offense, but Maybe you should reread all GEXs posts, words, and get the story right before you start taking things out of context like so many ppl like to do on this site.

No offense, but he's 100% right on the context and in what was said.

#121 7 years ago

IMG_6775 (resized).JPGIMG_6775 (resized).JPG

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Did you read the rest of my posts?

Quoted from Gexchange:

PS He asked what our return policy is.. Which to be effective have to be kept as posted publicly on our website.. Now every policy can have an exception based on facts in the case. In this case I believe the return policy would not do the situation justice, after sleeping on it over night.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Question for the OP:
Was this sent from Gex's warehouse, or was it drop shipped from Stern directly? Might explain a few things.

No offense, but he's 100% right on the context and in what was said.

Came from Us in Denver, We ship 99% of stuff from our facility and stock games here.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Came from Us in Denver, We ship 99% of stuff from our facility and stock games here.

If I drive in, can I open a box and inspect before purcnase?

#125 7 years ago

Once you put the game out on location, those scratches will just blend in with all the others once it gets a good amount of use.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Good to know.

Also good to know you won't take responsibility as a distributor.

It isn't the customer's position to deal with factory you represent, or wait for them to respond. That's why you get paid. Stand up, and take care of your customer first. Then....deal with the factory over the issue.

Unreal the amount of disrespect you show your customer here.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If I drive in, can I open a box and inspect before purcnase?

Yes But then you will have Sales tax =(

#128 7 years ago

JJ, is the best around give him and Stern a chance to correct the mistake. You new pinball fans want to crucify our best distributor, give him some time to correct Sterns mistake.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Good to know.
It isn't the customer's position to deal with factory you represent, or wait for them to respond. That's why you get paid. Stand up, and take care of your customer first. Then....deal with the factory over the issue.

I'm not sure you have read a single post I have made? Where am I avoiding taking care of this customer? When I talked to the customer last night? Or sent off the request for assistance from Stern. Or maybe the Follow up emails I sent to the customer this morning.. BTW him and I have talked 3 times today. Or maybe my posting Outing my self here to show that I will stand up for my customer? You have to give the Factory a chance to deal with a issue. Same as you would with a Car, Home Appliance, Ect. Feel free to ask the OP if he feels I am not taking responsibility as a distributor? I really am sorry you feel that you must bash me while I work diligently to take care of a issue for a customer.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Unreal the disrespect you show one of the most respected distros that serves our community over some sh!t that you don't even have a stake in, at ALL. Especially being in Canada. For you to buy a game from JJ, you'd have to what...have it shipped to someone near the border, go pick it up on our side, then smuggle it back into Canada and either do the right thing and pay the additional import duties or pray that you get away with getting it across the border without them?

Or you could just buy from Starburst. Shut up, man.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Good to know.

I thought JJ was quite clear in saying that he emailed Stern last night. This isn't a $5 part that Stern will just ship out the next day. The higher ups will more than likely need to get involved. Just because we live in a digital age of email and text messages, doesn't mean decisions will be made any quicker.

I hate to say it, but JJ would've been better off not saying anything on here, due to people having unrealistic expectations.

From personal experience, JJ has been nothing short of phenomenal to deal with it. I would never consider using another distributor.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I really am sorry you feel that you must bash me while I work diligently to take care of a issue for a customer.

No matter WHAT you do, you're always going to get that small percentage that just doesn't get it or are assholes. We know you're on it!

#133 7 years ago

I can see we have a number of keyboard commandos who aren't reading the whole thread and who don't want to waste an opportunity to shake a fist at Stern...

I don't see a need for the torches and pitchforks this time--it looks like the distributor and OP are working on addressing the issue.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm not sure you have read a single post I have made? Where am I avoiding taking care of this customer? When I talked to the customer last night? Or sent off the request for assistance from Stern. Or maybe the Follow up emails I sent to the customer this morning.. BTW him and I have talked 3 times today. Or maybe my posting Outing my self here to show that I will stand up for my customer? You have to give the Factory a chance to deal with a issue. Same as you would with a Car, Home Appliance, Ect. Feel free to ask the OP if he feels I am not taking responsibility as a distributor? I really am sorry you feel that you must bash me while I work diligently to take care of a issue for a customer.

I'd say you are the one having reading issues.

Why are you talking to Stern at all? You gave the OP a song and dance about how pinball machines aren't 100% perfect because they are made by hand. News flash: This isn't a defect. It's damage.

You don't need to hear back from Stern. You don't get to charge a restocking fee.

These issues are what is on the table.

Quoted from Frax:

Unreal the disrespect you show one of the most respected distros that serves our community over some sh!t that you don't even have a stake in, at ALL. Especially being in Canada. For you to buy a game from JJ, you'd have to what...have it shipped to someone near the border, go pick it up on our side, then smuggle it back into Canada and either do the right thing and pay the additional import duties or pray that you get away with getting it across the border without them?
Or you could just buy from Starburst. Shut up, man.

...sounds like the Mad Amusements defense.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Ask anyone who has done business with me, I bend over backwards to help our customers.
JJ

I like so many others here will vouch for JJ on the above comment, JJ/GEX is top notch!

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Why are you talking to Stern at all? You gave the OP a song and dance about how pinball machines aren't 100% perfect because they are made by hand. News flash: This isn't a defect. It's damage.
You don't need to hear back from Stern. You don't get to charge a restocking fee.
These issues are what is on the table. The words: 20% restocking fee should have never left your mouth.

Dude you're totally out of line and acting like an ass hat. Go outside for a walk and come back later. Kthxbye.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Don't sweat it, JJ. This is someone on my Ignore list. The Ignore feature is a great feature.

Whoever you are, leave JJ alone. He's one of the good guys.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can see we have a number of keyboard commandos who aren't reading the whole thread and who don't want to waste an opportunity to shake a fist at Stern...

STERN!!!!

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

These issues are what is on the table. The words: 20% restocking fee should have never left your mouth.

Why is he talking to Stern?

Do you understand who the manufacturer is and who the distributor is?

Those scratches and filled holes could only come from the factory, where the game is manufactured.

Do you think JJ opened up the game and scratched it?

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude you're totally out of line and acting like an ass hat. Go outside for a walk and come back later. Kthxbye.

So instead of talking about how Stern and it's dealer are handling an issue for anybody buying NIB, you'd rather just sit and name call. Gotcha.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why is he talking to Stern?
Do you understand who the manufacturer is and who the distributor is?
Those scratches and filled holes could only come from the factory, where the game is manufactured.
Do you think JJ opened up the game and scratched it?

Sure I understand. Why does the distrubutor have the position to tell a customer he's unlikely to receive a replacement and that he's not entitled to his purchase price back? You've got a hand in hand issue with Stern and Gex.

The item is damaged above and beyond the shoddy repair work. It's not a question of getting a new machine, and the customer shouldn't be facing anything more out of pocket due to a "restocking fee". You don't think this is ridiculous?

#141 7 years ago

So much drama in this thread, a perfect Pinside thread! Who wants more????

Loved the bit about mods getting "incredible number of reports" of F-Bombs being used LoL

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

So instead of talking about how Stern and it's dealer are handling an issue for anybody buying NIB, you'd rather just sit and name call. Gotcha.

You need to discover girls.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm not sure you have read a single post I have made? Where am I avoiding taking care of this customer? When I talked to the customer last night?

Possibly. It sounds like you told him then that he shouldn't expect a perfect game and would be looking at 20% to return it. Then you apparently slept on it and decided that wasn't good customer service. It appears some are focusing on your initial response and not followup.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Set up the game and enjoy it.... it sucks about the scratches but they will probably send you a new decal. Keep the decal and when you go to sell it in the future, include that decal. The game will not lose value over those minor things (at least I wouldn't expect to pay less for those scratches). Sorry that this happened

This....

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

So much drama in this thread, a perfect Pinside thread! Who wants more????
Loved the bit about mods getting "incredible number of reports" of F-Bombs being used LoL

They need to either outlaw "f-bombs" here or allow them. I don't get the fuckin' vague "gray area" on this issue.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

If that's the best argument you have against mine.... then you might as well just admit that I'm correct, and you're being a prick for no real reason at all.

#147 7 years ago

I'm thinking everyone just needs to chill.

My guess is that the distributor is taking this to Stern to get their resolution, prior to him deciding the correct way to handle the situation. Once hearing from Stern, I'm sure he will decide if he needs to "sweeten the pot" to make things right. Sounds like the distributor is reputable and just needs a little time to explore options.

Why not let the distributor actually propose a solution before he gets crucified?

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Possibly. It sounds like you told him then that he shouldn't expect a perfect game and would be looking at 20% to return it. Then you apparently slept on it and decided that wasn't good customer service. It appears some are focusing on your initial response and not followup.

That could be. Since he said it was the policy on his website that he was following. I took the time to look up his policy online, and it states 30%.

That difference was the consideration he slept on from my point of view. Not hearing him state that he's willing to give the OP his money back, which at any point he could have stated.

#149 7 years ago

So just for the record here - I've heard that JJ is a great distributor. My amazement is not with him or the process it takes to get something fixed. To me, JJ seems like he is moving quickly and trying to get this resolved. Not sure about that restocking fee comment (as that's not right in this situation) but ultimately JJ is working to take care of it.

My concern is with people who think this is normal and the buyer should just deal with it. That's completely ridiculous.

#150 7 years ago

Maybe the next Stern price increase they can say it was to add a quality assurance department.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 29.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-metallica-damaged/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.