Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Drac 2 (resized).JPG
Mustang when new (resized).jpg
1492699941019 (resized).jpg
1nj7ky (resized).jpg
droppingfbombs (resized).jpg
star-wars-may-the-force-be-with-you-by-buzzyquote-on-deviantart-irIKlY-clipart (resized).jpg
IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
Leo (resized).jpg
IMG_0867 (resized).JPG
stern_sucks (resized).png
20170407_124056 (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_6775 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
Metallica Pinball 7 (resized).JPG

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I would rather not drag the distributor through the mud right now as he is contacting Stern for me. Going to give him a chance to figure this out. Distributor was well recommended to me by several pinball guys in my area so my hope is he will help me out.

If your distro is local to you..ask him to exchange the machine himself and he can sale yours if it is a non issue.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I can't return to distributor. Was told I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee and return freight. Would cost me over $1500. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Did you sign any paperwork agreeing to this?

Like many others asking, I'm curious. Who is the distributor? At the very least, let other pinsiders know who not to buy from! This guy should your advocate with Stern. "Passing along an e-mail", sounds like a stalling tactic, and the song and dance about a restocking fee does not apply to damaged goods.

#53 6 years ago

If the game is still in the box, I am suprised they won't take it back.

#54 6 years ago

Honestly i would call Stern myself. For all the issues i had last year with Stern i always delt directly with them. I dont think you will get more then a new decal from them though. Hopefully your distributor hires a tech to do the replacement for you at the very least.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If you feel your game issues a worth a thread go find a new hobby

Really? you must work for Stern or are really a giant douchebag. The man pays 7-8 grand for a fucking game and it comes to him patched together with scratches. Total bullshit. It may be acceptable to you and obviously some others here but not to most. I don't see how stern sells anything pulling this kind of shit.

#56 6 years ago

Another Stern customer getting the royal treatment!! Way to go Stern!! Your first Stern and if you're smart your last one. Seriously, contact your dist. and tell them you're not happy. Have them make it right. Don't settle for 'Call Chas"! Good luck.

#57 6 years ago

I'm not defending Stern, and rarely do, but they're not the only ones.

Anyone remember the WOZ that looked like it had been hit with 2 barrels' worth of buckshot, some filler hastily applied, then decals on top? This isn't that bad, but it's still awful .... and Stern clearly have way more QC issues than JJP.

Anyway, how the hell anyone at either company could think they can get away with this stuff, I've no idea. The customer would need to be registered blind to not notice.

#58 6 years ago

erased as seeing the response from distro seems this will be handled correctly.

#59 6 years ago

I'm going to Hop In here. First I am the Distributor! As mentioned we are working with Stern to get this rectified. Information was Sent to Stern at 8pm There time last night. With problems like this you have to give the manufacture time to rectify the problem. Which is what we are working on. We only heard about this problem late yesterday afternoon.

If you bought a car and it had a minor issue such as a scratched inside door panel the dealer would work with the manufacture to get a new door panel sent out and installed. They would not replace the entire car with a brand new car.

That being said I am not ruling out that out come, I just can't tie Sterns hands to the resolution before getting an answer from them.

The good news here is We are on it. Ive got both My self and The Old Man on it as well.

Every one needs to relax a bit and let things work there course, believe me I want nothing more then to make OP happy so he comes back and buys another game or tell his friends about us. I just need to work with the tools we have to make everyone happy.

JJ

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I can't return to distributor. Was told I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee and return freight. Would cost me over $1500. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I know consumer protections provisions are at times minimal in the US, but I can't see how that can fly.

You paid for new goods with the reasonable expectation that they'd be received in perfect condition. They're factory defective, as is evident. It should not be incumbent on you to pay anything to return the existing unit and receive a non-defective replacement.

If the distributor incurs costs in this, then they should be sending Stern Pinball Inc an invoice.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm going to Hop In here. First I am the Distributor! As mentioned we are working with Stern to get this rectified. Information was Sent to Stern at 8pm There time last night. With problems like this you have to give the manufacture time to rectify the problem. Which is what we are working on. We only heard about this problem late yesterday afternoon.
If you bought a car and it had a minor issue such as a scratched inside door panel the dealer would work with the manufacture to get a new door panel sent out and installed. They would not replace the entire car with a brand new car.
That being said I am not ruling out that out come, I just can't tie Sterns hands to the resolution before getting an answer from them.
The good news here is We are on it. Ive got both My self and The Old Man on it as well.
Every one needs to relax a bit and let things work there course, believe me I want nothing more then to make OP happy so he comes back and buys another game or tell his friends about us. I just need to work with the tools we have to make everyone happy.
JJ

20% restocking fee? GTFO.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

$1400 or so... pretty unfriendly policy Gex.

#63 6 years ago

erased as seeing the response from distro seems this will be handled correctly.

#64 6 years ago

To OP: You're dealing with the best distributor out there.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

$1400 or so... pretty unfriendly policy Gex.

Plus shipping.

Plus trying to convince the buyer that it's "normal".

Shady AF.

Gex should be sending the guy a new machine, pickup the damaged one, and deal with Stern himself. That's his job. Let Stern send him a new decal, or sell it off at a scratch and dent price. Unreal.

#66 6 years ago

The car manufacturer wouldn't just hand the guy the new door either, they would take the car back and install the door and make sure everything is OK with the car. Most likely the best this guy can hope for is Gawy sending him some fucking stickers for him to install himself. You, as a distributer should take the game back and deal with Stern yourself. I cant believe the bullshit Stern hands out and now it is dripping down to the distributers. Fuck Im glad I didn't pull the trigger on Ghostbusters. What a shit sandwich the NIB experience turned out to be.

#67 6 years ago

OMG Just play the damn game, you will forget all about the tiny scratch's and the leg hole patch , hell maybe we all have filled holes and never even seen it, you will get your decal to replace it, your cabinet is fine. I understand you spent lots of $$$ but you did buy a pinball machine, which is hand assembled and intended for route use. Metallica is a awesome machine and JJ is a great guy to deal with.

Wait until OP gets his first dimple. WTF is he going to think then?

Quit your bitchin and start your flippin.

#68 6 years ago

I know this is an unpopular opinion in yet another Sternbashing thread, but I'm going to guess Stern will make this right. They've always been super responsive to issues that I've had in the past.

Hope everything works out for you.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

PS He asked what our return policy is.. Which to be effective have to be kept as posted publicly on our website.. Now every policy can have an exception based on facts in the case. In this case I believe the return policy would not do the situation justice, after sleeping on it over night.

#70 6 years ago

Go -removed- your self

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Go fuck your self

Easy there! thats un necessary.

JJ

#72 6 years ago

Sounds like him!

Nice job working on the issue, JJ.

To the OP, you really can't have a better distributor on the case. JJ will get the most of Stern that they're willing to provide. Just hang tight.

#73 6 years ago

Playing devils advocate here, in the first post he said he opened in the presence of the inspection guy before he signed for it ( I know JJ has signs stapled to the box to open it up and fully inspect it before letting the delivery guy leave) but later on the op says its still in the box? Op did you just open the top of the box and look in or was the box fully removed from the machine before signing for it?

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

PS He asked what our return policy is.. Which to be effective have to be kept as posted publicly on our website.. Now every policy can have an exception based on facts in the case. In this case I believe the return policy would not do the situation justice, after sleeping on it over night.

Oh really?

https://gameexchange.biz/pages/return-policy

It says 30%.

Your restocking policy might have bearing for items returned. Unless defective or damaged. You should get a lawyer to review your policies.

If observing the state law where this item was delivered, he has 30 days for a full refund.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0500-0599/0501/Sections/0501.615.html

#75 6 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Oh really?
https://gameexchange.biz/pages/return-policy
It says 30%.
Your restocking policy might have bearing for items returned. Unless defective or damaged. You should get a lawyer to review your policies.

They were verified prior to being posted on our website both by our Atty and our CC processing firm as they require for online payment acceptance. They are there because in the past we had issues of people purchasing games, using them for a weekend figuring out their kids didn't like said games then making us return them through their CC company . Also had a time where someone wanted to rent games for a weekend.. Found out that would cost them around 2k decided to buy 3 games.. Then Morning call and want to return for full refund. This is why companies have return policy's as strict as ours. You can always make exceptions when policy's do not fit the situation but if you do not have it publicly avail you will loose credit card charge backs every time. Return policy's are there to protect sellers from abusive people.. Which is NOT the case in the situation.

Ask anyone who has done business with me, I bend over backwards to help our customers. Most Distributors leave freight claims up to there receiving party, we do not. I take the time to file them and chase them and jump through the hoops. I also try and handle most warranty issues for my customers with Stern vs just telling Stern who to call.

Lastly If I was a being "Abusive" to my customer would I have personally come on this tread to call my self out even though the OP was being quite nice in refusing to name us? I can't think of a better way to say hey we are on this then to come out and publicly say Its our problem and we are on it.

JJ

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Go **** your self

My my... the Stern Army is a little sensitive today.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Ask anyone who has done business with me, I bend over backwards to help our customers. Most Distributors leave freight claims up to there receiving party, we do not. I take the time to file them and chase them and jump through the hoops. I also try and handle most warranty issues for my customers with Stern vs just telling Stern who to call.
Lastly If I was a being "Abusive" to my customer would I have personally come on this tread to call my self out even though the OP was being quite nice in refusing to name us? I can't think of a better way to say hey we are on this then to come out and publicly say Its our problem and we are on it.

Telling the guy that it's normal to have damage on a new machine is bullshit. I'd also wager heavily he didn't mention the distributor's name because he's hoping you'll step up and take care of this without public shaming.

Threatening a restocking fee and telling him damages are normal already told the story. Step up, send the guy a new machine, and pick up the damaged one. Deal with Stern yourself. That's your job.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Go fuck your self

Stern customer service in a nutshell.

#80 6 years ago

I've had issues on NIB pins from all three manufactures (Spooky, Stern, and JJP). In every case the issue was addressed to my satisfaction after contacting my distributor or the manufacturer. These issues can take days to weeks to resolve, but at least this game seems to be playable while the issue is addressed. JJ is top notch and I'm sure he is on it. We all want the game to be perfect the day it arrives, but when it isn't I think it is reasonable to allow the distributor and manufacturer a chance to come up with a solution before stirring up drama on pinside.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

They were verified prior to being posted on our website both by our Atty and our CC processing firm as they require for online payment acceptance. They are there because in the past we had issues of people purchasing games, using them for a weekend figuring out their kids didn't like said games then making us return them through their CC company . Also had a time where someone wanted to rent games for a weekend.. Found out that would cost them around 2k decided to buy 3 games.. Then Morning call and want to return for full refund. This is why companies have return policy's as strict as ours. You can always make exceptions when policy's do not fit the situation but if you do not have it publicly avail you will loose credit card charge backs every time. Return policy's are there to protect sellers from abusive people.. Which is NOT the case in the situation.
JJ

100% agree with this. I've sold arcade parts on eBay for 20 years. One thing I have learned is that many people would buy a part thinking it would fix a game. After testing it on there game and finding out there own part wasn't bad would want to return item for a full refund. I didn't mind the return but there is no way I'm going to eat the shipping and go through the hassle of relisting the item and retesting without a little compensation. You have to have a return charge even if you would rather not have one.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

These issues can take days to weeks to resolve

And will eat up his consumer protection period that entitles a cash refund. He doesn't have to settle for damaged or repaired goods. We are not talking about a warranty issue. We are talking about damages out of the box.

Quoted from arcademojo:

100% agree with this. I've sold arcade parts on eBay for 20 years. One thing I have learned is that many people would buy a part thinking it would fix a game. After testing it on there game and finding out there own part wasn't bad would want to return item for a full refund. I didn't mind the return but there is no way I'm going to eat the shipping and go through the hassle of relisting the item and retesting without a little compensation. You have to have a return charge even if you would rather not have one.

Which is 100% fine if the item is returned as a whole item. A damaged item sold as new isn't applicable to restocking fees. You send him a new part or give him his money back.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

My my... the Stern Army is a little sensitive today.

To all the fools who have called me Jody Gary or Stern Army think long and hard have you seen me showering love on Stern games the answer is no.I have said the people who buy LE games Stern or others are fools

#84 6 years ago

My new AS playfield is all dimpled up after 50 plays can i send it back?

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

My new AS playfield is all dimpled up after 50 plays can i send it back?

what the OP is concerned about here is not playfield dimpling.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

what the OP is concerned about here is not playfield dimpling.

I know but this seems way worse.

#87 6 years ago

I really don't understand threads like this, not just on Pinside but all across the Interweb.

According to JJ, the problem was reported to him yesterday afternoon (and to Stern last night during off-hours).

Why not give Stern and JJ some time to handle the issue before inciting everyone on Pinside to grab their pitchforks?

This should be a private matter (at least initially) between the OP, Stern, and JJ.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

i think i may be confused by your post, are you saying playfield dimpling is way worse than scratches on a NIB pin?

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

I really don't understand threads like this, not just on Pinside but all across the Interweb.
According to JJ, the problem was reported to him yesterday afternoon (and to Stern last night during off-hours).
Why not give Stern and JJ some time to handle the issue before inciting everyone on Pinside to grab their pitchforks?
This should be a private matter (at least initially) between the OP, Stern, and JJ.

I got on here just looking for some guidance. I'm new to the hobby. I've never received a nib before. I spent a lot of money for something that I was truly excited to receive but instead was let down. Was told I probably wouldn't get a replacement. Wanted to get some insight from the members here about there experiences getting new in box games. Was not trying to drag JJ through the mud. Like I said before, he was highly recommended by pinball guys in my area. They had high praise for him. He has been communicating with me and he is working on a replacement through Stern.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

i think i may be confused by your post, are you saying playfield dimpling is way worse than scratches on a NIB pin?

My AS was new in box yesterday, so yes.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

the OP asked us for advice. this was his first NIB. wanted advice what he should do, because of what he was told when he called the distributor. the OP didn't come here and rip his distro at all. just wasn't sure if what he was told was the correct response is all. this is afterall a pinball discussion forum. it does seem like things are in motion, but IMO they should take all that long to be sorted out as others have stated so the OP can decide his next course of action if any.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

1) It's time sensitive for the buyer's protection, and they are asking "what's normal" (they are new to the hobby)
2) The dealer/distributor is telling the buyer the damage is normal
3) The dealer/distributor is trying to dissuade a return by threatening a restocking fee (that can't apply to a return due to defect/damage)

...that's why.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Why should this be private? This is a pinball forum. The OP was asking for advice on said forum. Seeing JJ's post and the whole problem through shows how situations like this are handled in real time. This could very well become a positive for Stern and JJ seeing how this problem is addressed. Hey there are going to be mistakes in all businesses, seeing how the mistakes are handled are very beneficial to all parties involved and/or future customers.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Telling the guy that it's normal to have damage on a new machine is bullshit. I'd also wager heavily he didn't mention the distributor's name because he's hoping you'll step up and take care of this without public shaming.
Threatening a restocking fee and telling him damages are normal already told the story. Step up, send the guy a new machine, and pick up the damaged one. Deal with Stern yourself. That's your job.

I'm said the chances of getting a 100% perfect game is not great.. They are hand built items. I didn't want him to get false hope of getting another game and having minor issues with it. Did not want to set up false exceptions. How do you think this would go if it was Starburst who is your guys distributor up in Canada?

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

I got on here just looking for some guidance. I'm new to the hobby. I've never received a nib before. I spent a lot of money for something that I was truly excited to receive but instead was let down. Was told I probably wouldn't get a replacement. Wanted to get some insight from the members here about there experiences getting new in box games. Was not trying to drag JJ through the mud. Like I said before, he was highly recommended by pinball guys in my area. They had high praise for him. He has been communicating with me and he is working on a replacement through Stern.

And I wish you the best; I really do.

My opinion on threads and review comments and people inciting folks on social media extends well beyond Pinside.

Again, welcome to the hobby! This will all get resolved, and then you can start figuring out what will be pin #2.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Then every pin ever made with clearcoat should have been sent back. And the replacements sent back. And the replacements of the replacements sent back.

There's only been a million threads about that, and frankly...is there even an excuse to not know this is normal already? Do you people just drop 5-15k on a product that you've never bought new and not even do the slightest fart of cursory research first or what? I don't go out to a car lot to buy a new car without at least knowing something about the models I want to look at. I wouldn't buy a piece of property without a valid building inspection first? I don't get this mentality of ignorance. The information is there, it's been there for years, USE IT.

*edit* If you have CHIPPING of the clearcoat, that's a whole other beast and valid concern.

#97 6 years ago

Too bad you can go to stern and pick one out before they box it up

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Different situation. Was it dimpled when you opened it up first time?

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

This isn't Walmart bro.

Free returns in the pinball biz and you are out of business before the all-star break.

#100 6 years ago

I had a Kiss with bad decals: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unhappy-with-my-kiss-decals
Stern wanted to give me new decals but my dealer gave me a new pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-metallica-damaged/page/2?hl=greenmarine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.