Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Clean your NIB game out of the box?”

• Clean 11 votes
      26%
    • Just Play It / Clean Later On 32 votes
      74%

(43 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    61tS022-eJL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    D3A88827-E89B-4A67-A892-A8BCBBF469C1.jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Question: Any of you clean / wax your games fresh out of the box?

I've heard from some that it's preferred to but personally seems sort of odd being brand new unless there's a benefit to (which I may be unaware of, and why I'm asking). I've personally just played them out of the box until they need a clean / wax after they don't have the glimmer as they once did.

#2 2 years ago

Waxing modern pinball machines is a complete waste of time.

What’s the point?

#3 2 years ago

I clean the easy to reach areas. 1 coat of wax. Clean the balls. Let 'er rip.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

I'll put down a coat of wax to help protect things.

#5 2 years ago

Air compression to blow dust off the box?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Question: Any of you clean / wax your games fresh out of the box?
    I've heard from some that it's preferred to but personally seems sort of odd being brand new unless there's a benefit to (which I may be unaware of, and why I'm asking). I've personally just played them out of the box until they need a clean / wax after they don't have the glimmer as they once did.

I'm glad you asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing. I'm expecting my first NIB pin, and I wanted to know what other people do. Looks like I'll be putting down a coat of wax before I play. I guess a good second question would be what type and brand of wax is good for the new stern playfields!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

I'm glad you asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing. I'm expecting my first NIB pin, and I wanted to know what other people do. Looks like I'll be putting down a coat of wax before I play. I guess a good second question would be what type and brand of wax is good for the new stern playfields!

I personally prefer Blitz wax. Some prefer others (Mill Wax, etc). It's what I've always used. Looks amazing.

https://www.pinballlife.com/blitz-carnauba-paste-wax-12-ounce-jar.html

#8 2 years ago

I used to use Millwax but it’s trash.
    Use this instead

D3A88827-E89B-4A67-A892-A8BCBBF469C1.jpegD3A88827-E89B-4A67-A892-A8BCBBF469C1.jpeg
    #9 2 years ago

I waxed my NIB and put down some mylar in the shooter lane.

#10 2 years ago

No wax on new games. Just clean with Novus 1 every few hundred games. Clean/check balls each time you clean playfield and replace when needed.

#11 2 years ago

I use this anytime the glass is off and new out of box. Gives a quick clean and freshens up the games speed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U729UA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
    61tS022-eJL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg61tS022-eJL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

I used to believe new games didn’t need a wax until stern added the thinnest possible layer of clear to their games...

#13 2 years ago

I was told not to wax NIB clearcoated playfields within a couple months of the build date if it's unknown how long the clearcoat has had to cure. If it's not fully cured yet then sealing it with a coat of wax may be a bad thing. I don't know that for sure but it sounds reasonable to me so I'll wait a few months before a first wax on my NIB.

#14 2 years ago

Play the damn thing! Clean later. Most of time I use Novus 1 and coat of Blitz down the road when feeling like it.

#15 2 years ago

so what do you use to cut down on that playfield chipping?

#16 2 years ago

I dont' wax any of my games ever. No need. You will never get enough play in a home environment to matter. Clearcoated fields or not. Never seen any of my games get more wear on them from not waxing. And i've had some of my games for 12+ years. And that's with hosting leagues and tournaments from time to time.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Never seen any of my games get more wear on them from not waxing.

I have

Had a hulk a few years ago with a near mint playfield. Brought it to a show, it got a lot more play than I was expecting, and insert ring wear started developing.

Now when I bring games to shows, I wax at least once each day of the show in addition to right before the show.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I use this anytime the glass is off and new out of box. Gives a quick clean and freshens up the games speed.
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

https://wizardsproducts.com/products/mist-n-shine

Contains no wax

Personally, I wouldn't use it.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have
    Had a hulk a few years ago with a near mint playfield. Brought it to a show, it got a lot more play than I was expecting, and insert ring wear started developing.
    Now when I bring games to shows, I wax at least once each day of the show in addition to right before the show.

shows are different. Everytime I brought a game to a show, it received at least 3000 plays over the weekend. But games I take to shows are usually ones I restored, so they are clearcoated and never wear again.

#20 2 years ago

As good of a job they do at the factory I would at least try to get that factory dirt off with a quick wipe down. It can’t hurt any.

#21 2 years ago

Always give it at least a quick coat of wax on the playfield. Not saying you need to do a full teardown...

The people who say you don't need to wax your playfield are the same people who never put down a dash protector in their new vehicle. Just figure out if that's you or not

#22 2 years ago

Your comment is very regionally specific, I’ve never seen a car with a dash protector In Michigan, in fact most people here have no idea what they are.

I do a quick coat of blitz, I want my first handful of games on a new pin to be as chaotic as possible.

Quoted from Darkwing:

Always give it at least a quick coat of wax on the playfield. Not saying you need to do a full teardown...
    The people who say you don't need to wax your playfield are the same people who never put down a dash protector in their new vehicle. Just figure out if that's you or not

#23 2 years ago

wtf is a dash protector?
    In your house there really isn't a rush.

#24 2 years ago

Not trying to stir debate but I was under the impression no water based products should be used on your pf and that would include Novus 1 right? Obviously it’s used a ton so I’m sure people like using it for pf’s.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

wtf is a dash protector?

Helps to prevent your dash from cracking and turning into goo in the hot Sonoran/Mojavian sun! (No surprise that someone in MI would ask the question; it's the same deal as a guy from AZ asking "WTF is an engine block heater?", lol.)

As to NIB cleaning, I am among those that really don't do much at all beyond a quick playfield swiffering and an alcohol polish of the balls (the pin ones ). I used to wax my NIB playfields, but came to decide it's more trouble than it is worth for our situation (where each game only gets played 10-12 times/week on average).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #26 2 years ago

I didnt say it had wax in it, i use it to clean the playfield and plastic ramps. I use Blitz wax when i do wax a game.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Helps to prevent your dash from cracking and turning into goo in the hot Sonoran/Mojavian sun! (No surprise that someone in MI would ask the question; it's the same deal as a guy from AZ asking "WTF is an engine block heater?", lol.)
    As to NIB cleaning, I am among those that really don't do much at all beyond a quick playfield swiffering and an alcohol polish of the balls (the pin ones ). I used to wax my NIB playfields, but came to decide it's more trouble than it is worth for our situation (where each game only gets played 10-12 times/week on average).[quoted image]

What do you use for rear view mirrors to prevent them from falling off windshields in that hot desert sun? At least that is something I heard before. lol

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Not trying to stir debate but I was under the impression no water based products should be used on your pf and that would include Novus 1 right? Obviously it’s used a ton so I’m sure people like using it for pf’s.

Apply to your cloth and then clean the playfield.

LTG : )

#29 2 years ago

Not to be that guy but recently it does depend on what manufacturer. If Stern wipe the balls and play. If JJP full playfield tear down to apply mylar, washers, carbon fiber, protectors, new posts and rubbers. Sorry just had to say it.......lol

#30 2 years ago

wisconsin is the same. I didn't know WTF a dash protector is either. Only gets hot here about 2 months out of the year. This is one of those months. park under a tree.

#31 2 years ago

I use one of those fold up thingys in the summer that you put on the inside of the windshield.............

2 weeks later
    #32 2 years ago

Got some of that Wizards, man works great on a few of my older games. Heard of it but figured why not and grabbed some. Naptha does too but Wizards at least has more of a pleasant smell.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-game-cleaning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.