(Topic ID: 198357)

NIB EM, How Much To Build, Would It Sell?

By Dooskie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stoptap
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5531 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5530 (resized).JPG
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image-3[1] (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    image-18 (resized).jpg
    image-14 (resized).jpg
    e86ab6418bfc0fd67efc991b649a01807941851ab337157757f198b9395bfb57 (resized).jpg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

I found this thread because I enjoy EMs, when I started collecting Gottlieb games.
    Maybe even a potential for another new Gottlieb EM game, even if a remake?

Something I found most interesting about Mr. Rarehero's posting was he stated on a pinball podcast interview in 2016, he was not even involved in pinball until 2007 with involvement regarding Stern and their game, Family Guy. This was well past the initial development of Fabulous Fantasy's King of Diamonds after doing reading about Retro Pinball LLC. I am not sure how much he really understood about the development of the game or some changes I have discovered from reading from other about pinball sales in the mid 2000s, if he was not even around in the hobby?

Did he ever even talk to Herb Silvers?

I just enjoy learning about pinball, but this does not really add to credibility from my perspective regarding EM games.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from xRose_of_Aragonx:

I found this thread because I enjoy EMs, when started collecting Gottlieb games.
    Maybe even a potential for another Gottlieb EM game?
    Something I found most interesting about Mr. Rarehero's posting was he stated on a pinball podcast interview in 2016, he was not even involved in pinball until 2007 with involvement regarding Stern and their game, Family Guy. This was well past the initial development of Fabulous Fantasy's King of Diamonds after doing reading about Retro Pinball LLC. I am not sure how much he really understood about the development of the game or some changes I have discovered from reading from other about pinball sales in the mid 2000s, if he was not even around in the hobby?
    Did he ever even talk to Herb Silvers?
    I just enjoy learning about pinball, but this does not really add to credibility from my perspective regarding EM games.

FGY was released in '07, but I started working on it in '06, and I bought my first pin in 2003 or '04, Back to the Future. I was reading R.G.P. and learning all kinds of things. I was "around" when the KOD project was happening. I've read all of Herb's post, I've talked to Herb in person...I know Herb's whole mentality about EM's (loves them) and modern games (hates them).

I'm not looking for credibility when it comes to EM games...I don't really like EM games, but my personal game tastes are irrlevant...I do understand the new game market and what new game customers are looking for in a new expensive purchase - and EMs are not what they're looking for. Yes there was a downturn in new game sales when KOD finally launched...but that's not what's to blame. I'm confident that had that game launched before the recession or currently - it would not sell well. It's just not what the market wants in a new game.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

FGY was released in '07, but I started working on it in '06

I'm sure it's been covered before but what was your involvement on it? I know you worked on the show but didn't realize you worked on the pin. You can PM me if it's easier or point me to a thread.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I do understand the new game market and what new game customers are looking for in a new expensive purchase - and EMs are not what they're looking for.

So what exactly are new game customers looking for?

Quoted from Rarehero:

Get off the NIB hype train. Discover all the amazing games that existed before the last few years.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I'm sure it's been covered before but what was your involvement on it? I know you worked on the show but didn't realize you worked on the pin. You can PM me if it's easier or point me to a thread.

I drew the cabinet art and translite. Also kicked around some ideas with Gary Stern & Pat Lawlor when they came to visit the studio, some of which may have influenced game design.

#56 6 years ago

Well that puts you right up there with the greats like Roy Parker, George Molentin, and Art Stenholm.

4 weeks later
    #57 6 years ago

Interesting reading.

The gist of the thread seems to be that firstly there isn't enough demand out there to justify any new production of a NIB EM machine for the pinball market whether a reproduction of an existing machine or an entirely new title theme.

Secondly, for the purists that are interested in that era it would have to be a reproduction that is as original without substantial deviation and without aftermarket substituted/upgraded mechanics or electronics where possible.

Finally, the RRP would have to be at a price point comparable (or at least in the ball park) to what a good condition original machine would sell for on the used market otherwise the entire proposal is academic.

Although not totally comparable with a traditional EM, the release of Whoa Nellie by Stern went down like a lead balloon down here (3 units for all of Australia) due mainly to our local price point and what most collectors perceived as a lack of bang for buck.

Out of interest, does anyone know approximately how many King of Diamonds remakes FF sold? From memory it was $3695 price point ex US.

#58 6 years ago

Actually in England some pretty insane prices have been achieved at auctions for top level EM restorations. There is an Anglo-German team that do pretty much the best RM restos in Europe that charge over 5000€ for EMs and sell them. (But not in Germany)

#59 6 years ago

I guess what I was getting at is could you build an EM style machine (i.e. scoring reels, old style bumpers, etc.), so that on the outside it looks and plays like an EM, but the guts of the machine are done with modern technology. And if so, is there any kind of market for it? Surely it wouldn't cost near as much to build as what is being produced at the major pinball manufacturer's, would it?

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Out of interest, does anyone know approximately how many King of Diamonds remakes FF sold?

Herb said 50 production machines along with 5 prototypes/pre-production machines.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I guess what I was getting at is could you build an EM style machine (i.e. scoring reels, old style bumpers, etc.), so that on the outside it looks and plays like an EM, but the guts of the machine are done with modern technology. And if so, is there any kind of market for it? Surely it wouldn't cost near as much to build as what is being produced at the major pinball manufacturer's, would it?

No clue! But if I want an EM it's because of the mechanical wonder in it. It's a mechanical computer. So, I can look at the engineering and appreciate all of the work that was involved. That's what makes those so fun to me. If all of that was taken away? It really wouldn't be that interesting as a new item.

Now! What might be interesting and I'm not sure if it's ever been done? A kit machine. You buy the thing on a pallet and assemble it yourself, like a model that actually plays. That would be kind of cool! Probably very expensive though! A quality one, not some junk stuff thrown in a box.

#62 6 years ago

Wait. That changes things.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Wait. That changes things.

If I had the money I'd try to put one together for sale as a kit. I'd bet there are enough of us hobby guys out here to want one if the price could be right, and the game would have to be interesting too! Nice clean, build it with your kids. have different levels, bare not put together, or all paint work done and your just building it. It would appeal to more than just pinball guys too!

#64 6 years ago

A new em, with modern novelties? That would be cool in an academic sense as been stated. But the elephant in the room is power. Adding coils, pop ups, drops, lights, ramps, and sounds increases the power load. Not to mention the long runs of wiring to make it happen. Longer runs equal greater resistance equals yet more power and heat. I’m pretty sure to do all the cool things would quickly blow a 15 a or 20a circuit. We take power for granted in ss electronics.

#65 6 years ago

Played this in banning...tough game...the kickers kick it right to the outlanes

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Herb said 50 production machines along with 5 prototypes/pre-production machines.

Thanks. If any did make it down here it would have been on an individual import basis as there was no local distributor handling them.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

Actually in England some pretty insane prices have been achieved at auctions for top level EM restorations. There is an Anglo-German team that do pretty much the best RM restos in Europe that charge over 5000€ for EMs and sell them. (But not in Germany)

At the moment in England. A glass box with a golf ball in it will sell for £1000+
    Pinball prices are insane here at the moment. I’d argue that they are probably the highest in the world right now.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-em-how-much-to-build-would-it-sell/page/2?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.