Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many good $8K NIBs (can you afford/will you buy) in a 12-month window?”

• NONE 206 votes
      58%
    • 1 96 votes
      27%
    • 2 32 votes
      9%
    • 3 15 votes
      4%
    • 4 5 votes
      1%
    • 5 0 votes
    • 6 1 vote
    • 7 0 votes
    • 8 3 votes
      1%

(358 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-58.jpg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I was wondering what the market can bear in terms of total NIB purchases from the "avid Pinside collectors" market. I'll run a poll (for as long as it takes) to tally up how many NIBs are likely to be purchased in a given year. (I won't close the poll) I'll post results as each block of 100 votes are counted.

1. Dates/Time Frame.
    I'm loose on the dates, but I want them to be current. Feel free to pick any 12-month time frame that includes 2013, 2014, 2015 so that we are looking at "recent" numbers. (April 2014 - April 2015) or October 2013 - October 2014. Use any 12-month time frame that works for you.

2. Price.
    I realize NIB purchases range from roughly $5K-$10k USD. Forgive me for picking a rough number to represent them all. I'm going to go with "$8K shipped". Please allow this $8K number to mean $5K shipped and $10K shipped for those of you paying more or less than 8K. My goal was *not* to have this be about "the total price being too high lately" -- it was really just to run a "counter" to see how many people are in the market for NIBs...

3. Titles available.
    Pretend that instead of 3-5 NIBs shipping in the current 12 month time frame, that it's 9-15. (3x), and you love many of the titles.

4. Budget.
    Assume your budget is your REAL current budget. Make this stone cold real.

Here's the question:

If there were MANY titles out there (not just 1-5, but 6-9) that you absolutely LOVED, how many ~$8K pins would you commit to purchase in a recent 12-month time frame?

Please aim for REAL numbers not IDEAL numbers, the REAL should come from your pinball budget and real spending habits, the IDEAL should only apply to "MANY TITLES EXIST" that you really want. What can your budget afford?

If the polling is honest, we might get a "rough sense" of what the "avid collector market on Pinside" can bear per year in terms of $$$. (Yes, this is not the "real" global market for pins, just our club on Pinside -- of those people who vote +/- troll votes...)

enjoy!
    -mof

#3 9 years ago

I don't expect everyone to reveal their budgets/spending habits, so I don't mind if the poll results are bit more on the anonymous side.

Why is my response "none"?

I for one, currently have a very specific solid state collection built up, and while I'd love to own a NIB, I would rather purchase 4-5 solid state machines for ~$1000 and restore them for $200-800 each than buy 1 NIB, that's just my style/phase I am in right now... It could change in a few years as tastes evolve.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to support as much as I can, the boutique vendors to build creative fun new games for us. (And I'll support the owners of these games with my quarters !)

-mof

#4 9 years ago

Now that my lineup is pretty well set, it is far more likely I'm going to get a NIB game than an older title (with a couple of exceptions).

I answered 1 because even though I could afford more, I'm not Bill Gates wealthy and even considering one $8k toy seems excessive. And, while I can imagine buying 2 NIBs in a year if certain titles are made, this would be a 2015 or 2016 consideration, not an annual one.

#5 9 years ago

One, knowing well that $8k is beyond the sanity zone.
    BTW: I know which one it will be: Wrath of Olympus!

#6 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/going-halfsies

I have three NIB coming but I got them at half price.

#7 9 years ago

I own AC/DC & ST each under $5000

#8 9 years ago

Now that I think more about it -- I think the "none" answers could be interesting...

If you selected "none" is it simply your budget that has you not jump on a $6K-$9K pin in the next 12 months (assuming you love some of the titles?) Do you collect a different era of games? Is your collection maxed out?

thanks...
    -mof

#9 9 years ago

None
    High end LE's are over $10k (might be as high as $12k) by the time they reach Australia
    Too much to spend on a toy

#10 9 years ago

Afford them..yes. Will buy one..Nope. Decided that's it with those prices. Pros, HUO or older but not throwing that kind of money on pins anymore.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Afford them..yes. Will buy one..Nope. Decided that's it with those prices. Pros, HUO or older but not throwing that kind of money on pins anymore.

Hey, I totally agree. I can't even begin to say how much. Life is too short and I finally realized how much $8K is.

Also for the OP, nothing to do with budget. But, it does have a LOT to do with competing interests for my time. Lately, that isn't pinball. I'll stick with my two machines.

#12 9 years ago

Could buy 2, but with my space filling up will taper off to one new pin a year or two every three years (depending on my wife). I have bought 4 nib pins in the past two years but can't keep that up as my space is running out and too much money tied up in pins to keep up that buying rate.

#13 9 years ago

8k+ pins really don't fit into the WAF. Besides, when you can get them a lot cheaper a couple years later why buy new? I don't need a pin the day it is released when pins from all era's are still New To Me.

#14 9 years ago

8,000 Is Officially Out Of My Price Range :~(

#15 9 years ago

I've had three NIB's (two pro one premium) and a HUO Tron in the last year and a half. I think I'm good.

I still answered zero because if it wasn't for a fluke, an 8k NIB is NEVER in my budget. All my pin money comes from selling other pins or busting massive overtime.

#16 9 years ago

You need to do another poll and leave the price out. I voted none because you said 8K. I have NEVER paid 8k for a pin, yet I have bought 2 Sterns NIB, not to mention a CV and an AFM.

#17 9 years ago

New 8K pins have recently made me realize how much I enjoy playing early solid state games.

#18 9 years ago

i would buy an $8k nib but it would have to be my favorite game of all time and by a wide margin over #2. I doubt that will happen.

#19 9 years ago

Why would anyone buy a NIB pin?

#20 9 years ago

^^^...I believe it's just a cool factor..............Joey

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

[reserved]
    -mof

Also reserved.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You need to do another poll and leave the price out. I voted none because you said 8K. I have NEVER paid 8k for a pin, yet I have bought 2 Sterns NIB, not to mention a CV and an AFM.

All I can hope is that some will read the OP before voting.
    -mof

#23 9 years ago

The ability to afford them vs the real desire to spend that much on a game are two very different things. A game needs to bring something special to the table. The same old same old doesn't really cut it. TWD doesn't seem special to me, it just looks like another game. It isn't a Tron or an AC/DC, so why would I plop down that much for it. I might be proved wrong, and if I am, I can buy one NIB later. So there is really no rush. In fact TWD made me start shopping seriously for a Transformers (a game I already know I like and should have bought a while ago). I guess I like being a little bit behind the curve. It lets me buy games that I know have code I like.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

The ability to afford them vs the real desire to spend that much on a game are two very different things. A game needs to bring something special to the table. The same old same old doesn't really cut it. TWD doesn't seem special to me, it just looks like another game. It isn't a Tron or an AC/DC, so why would I plop down that much for it. I might be proved wrong, and if I am, I can buy one NIB later. So there is really no rush. In fact TWD made me start shopping seriously for a Transformers (a game I already know I like and should have bought a while ago). I guess I like being a little bit behind the curve. It lets me buy games that I know have code I like.

You're gonna get a great deal on transformers.

#25 9 years ago

I have had 4 NIB pins since 2010. Spider-man, ACDC Prem, WOZ ECLE, and STLE. While I like STLE, received end of 2013, it was too high. I'm feeling more like passing on something in that price range. For 2014, I chose a very nice AFM. I see myself more likely to go with a lesser price NIB like an AMH or Stern Pro model. My latest trade was for a Mustang Pro and I'm quite happy. Options like refinery make the pro even more attractive to me.

#26 9 years ago

NIB? I'm in!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Isn't it obvious? To play with the box silly.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i can save you $7905: ebay.com link » Stern Ac Dc Pro Fast Rock Roll Music Pinball Machine Box Only

OMG! They sell them without the game in it! Yyyyyyaaaaaaahhhhhhh

#30 9 years ago

I am planning on buying only one and it is MMRLE. I will be buying a coupe of lower priced boutique games instead.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from sensfreak:

I am planning on buying only one and it is MMRLE. I will be buying a coupe of lower priced boutique games instead.

I'm getting MMR LE and TWD LE. I thought the boutique games were around 8k too?

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Yeah, don't buy NIBS, buy MIBS.

#33 9 years ago

Interesting results so far.
    50/135 people on Pinside are NIB-buyers. 37%. Roughly 1 in 3.
    Totaling 93 NIBs into 135 votes. 68%. Roughly 2 NIBs for every 3 Peeps.
    Let's look again when we eclipse 200 votes.
    -mof

#34 9 years ago

How many I can afford != how many I will buy.

#35 9 years ago

I marked down none because 8k would get me half way to getting a Roush 427....525hp with 510fpt. YEAH BABY!!!!

#36 9 years ago

My last two (my only two) WOZ and Tron were both NIB. I am not mechanically inclined, I can hardly change a lightbulb. So, NIB purchases usually have less issues.

#37 9 years ago

I voted 3, but that is going purely by the description in the OP. I don't really think that there will ever be a 12 month period that will bring 3 NIB pins that I really want. So far, there has only been one per year with AC/DC and Metallica. Walking Dead is a possibility if there ends up being a Premium, but who knows. The only other rumored one that sounds interesting to me is Superman.

The boutique ones might be great, but I have a hard rule of playing at least 100 games before I consider buying, and I don't know if that will be possible.

#38 9 years ago

2 persons selected 8 in the poll...

Would love to get a job allowing that !!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

2 persons selected 8 in the poll...
    Would love to get a job allowing that !!

Maybe you were born just into the wrong family and then to make it even worse you married the wrong partner

And still you own 7 interesting pins... that's not too bad.

8k, 16k, 24k whatever per year - puh... I have a budget, which is pretty much maxed out. If I want one of the upcoming NIB, I would have to sell 1-3 of my pins.

#40 9 years ago

Highly unlikely I'll be buying any NIB in the next few years, if ever. I've sold off most of my higher priced pins (METLE, SS, SM, MB, IJ) over the last year and cancelled my MMRLE order. I just don't want to have that much money tied up into a hobby.

I really like some of the pins I sold, but I'm having just as much fun playing the pins I still have (WOZLE, ToM, BoP, Centaur) and will be adding a few EMs within the next few weeks.

#41 9 years ago

bump for the evening votes.
    -mof

#42 9 years ago

When prices started getting stupid less than 2 years ago I set my personal limit at $7500 for NIB. I only by LE versions NIB. So.....my last NIB game is going to be THLE since I got in on it at the early price.
    With the way these new games are dropping in value 8 months after opening the box I will buy future LE games in the used HUO market.

#43 9 years ago

bump for the evening votes.
    Hoping you can vote in the poll.
    -mof

#44 9 years ago

My collection is pretty large, so it really depends on the titles. While I bought most of the new Stern titles over the past 3 years, I am burned out on their latest products. I passed on both Mustang and TWD. I am planning to spend my money on the cooler boutique pins like TBL, Nemo, and Thunderbirds. But when Stern hits a home run again (IMHO) I'll certainly buy it.

#45 9 years ago

New to the hobby in 2012 in the "upswing" which is the wrong time to come in for this sort of thing. I would've bought NIB games in the past, way too expensive now. Things like gimped Pro models and MSRP prices rising over time make me even less likely to purchase NIB.

If I do buy NIB at this point, it will probably be a Stern Pro that plays the same as the LE.

#46 9 years ago

Nice descriptions -- keep 'em comin'...
    -mof

#47 9 years ago

I love my $1900 NASCAR.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Because they come shipped in really heavy duty cardboard that is great for when you have to crawl under a car, lay in the dirt under your deck or in your crawl space.

#49 9 years ago

And the results at 200 votes are...
    -mof

#50 9 years ago

O-din , U Rule bro !! If Stern would Ever produce a Black Sabbath pin ,, It Would Sell out and I WOULD have the LE n the GRG 4 dam Sure ........... " The Writ " ,,,,, is my fav----------

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-club-poll-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.