• Return to Battle, Soldier! 51 votes
    38%
  • Wait for DeepRoot... 10 votes
    8%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67C3BBD3-E634-43BB-9561-80C641B6EA29 (resized).png
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

The wife has made me an offer (that I might refuse) and I wanted to hear a few cons and pros between choosing a Stern BM66 premium over a CGC AFMrLE. I know a lot of people would post its up to me which one is the one for me, but I would like to hear peoples thoughts if faced with choosing between the two. The deal my wife has offered is this- I get rid of the virtual pinball machine that I made out of an old Roller Games cabinet then we have enough room to get a BM66 premium NIB, or possibly an AFMrLE depending on availability and if that cool Batmobile topper can be purchased seperately or not. The only other pin I have a blanket “Buy Now” edict on from her (since we ordered the MBrLE already) is a TAFrLE if and when it is ever announced by PPS/CGC, which will likely make a lot of other people post, “yeah, like in your dreams...” which right now, is exactly where it is.

#2 5 years ago

I like both games. But if I could only have one or the other, I would get AFMLE. Please note I do own one. When I have a party most all want to play AFM. Can't go wrong with either one.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

When I have a party most all want to play AFM.

That's the game everyone loves out of mine as well.

#4 5 years ago

Theres a reason why everyone loves AFM....its very approachable, easy to understand, challenging to beat, and a whole bunch of fun. I've played BM66 and thats a great game as well, but I don't think its in the same league as AFMRLE....u really can't go wrong with either choice....BM66 has nostalgia for me as I watched that show as a kid.....

#5 5 years ago

My vote was for AFMrLE, but the wife REALLY likes BM66, but not for the reasons I would want a BM66. I like Lyman code, my wife has no clue who programmed what. She likes Batman, the TV show, specifically. Its her dream theme now that we have OUR dream theme Monster Bash remake already on the way. Batman 66 was burned into my little psyche when I was 4 years old, but it was in serialized reruns during after school TV programming were it really took hold.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

but the wife REALLY likes BM66

Quoted from Bublehead:

Its her dream theme

I think you have your answer. Get a BM66 for her.
Happy Wife Happy Life
Later when you see a pin you want, tell her you picked the last one.

#7 5 years ago

There really is no choice. Clearly Batman 66 is the pin that you will need to get.

Remember...
Happy Wife, Happy Life

Or
Have an unhappy spouse, fewer pinballs for your house.

#8 5 years ago

AFMrLE for me. I would love to have one and I am trying to get the wife to let me get rid of our foosball table so I have room for it and another pin (want Star Trek LE too) but so far she isn't budging.

Of course finding an AFMrLE will very hard as you will have to buy from someone else. Sure someone will give one up for the right price but that will be high. I would take an SE for sure if I could get the topper seen here http://www.tilttopper.com/attack-from-mars-le.html. Not as good as the LE topper but still really cool.

#9 5 years ago

Just let her make the decision Bubblehead. You win either way no matter what she chooses!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I would take an SE for sure if I could get the topper seen here http://www.tilttopper.com/attack-from-mars-le.html. Not as good as the LE topper but still really cool.

That's a cool looking topper, but that girl looks pretty chilled out, given her situation.

#11 5 years ago

I own both and both are fantastic. For me personally, it is a complete coin toss. Batman 66 is so deep that I find myself playing it over and over just to try out different approaches, minor villains, etc. Attack From Mars is always fun, but less deep. That being said, I play it over and over as well.

Of note, whenever I have others over, Batman 66 barely gets played versus AFM. It is simply not as approachable or fun for the non-pinhead.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with whatever you decide.

#12 5 years ago

AFMR - Classic.

Save the monies for more games.

#13 5 years ago

I would get batman 66.

#14 5 years ago

Sold AFM LE. Still have Batman66, since it came out. Both great pins, you can’t go wrong either way.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's a cool looking topper, but that girl looks pretty chilled out, given her situation.

Yeah, but you know that old saying “once you’ve gone green...”

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Sold AFM LE. Still have Batman66, since it came out. Both great pins, you can’t go wrong either way.

Same for me, AFMR LE is long gone, BM66 remains.

#17 5 years ago

I suspect it will be easier to find an AFM down the road than BM66.
BM66 is the best theme integration ever.
Both games fun.
Can’t go wrong wth either.

Except:
Wife wants Batman.
That’s the only thing that matters.
Order that BM66 Premium before she changes her mind.
If you don’t, you will be wrong.
Forever.
Guaranteed.

#18 5 years ago

The forever part, yeah I have things I have tried to live down now for 29 years... nope, not happening, not ever. Lol

#19 5 years ago

Saw a post this week about someone opening up a bm66 and every single insert was raised.

#20 5 years ago

Bought and sold AFM twice. When I bought it back the second time I played it for a few days then quickly realized there was nothing else.

B66 has been here since launch and I still love playing it. In a smallish collection AFM would get old pretty quick. Great in a big collection. B66 on the other hand is crazy deep and the way Lyman has done his magic, every game you play is like a new game.

Funnily enough the layout of the 2 games is surprisingly similar, with AFM being more flowy.

The bonus is that your wife loves Batman - B66 integrates the theme like no othe game.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

My vote was for AFMrLE, but the wife REALLY likes BM66

Get the BM66 now and have a happy wife. You can always buy an AFM later. Happy spouse, happy house! I keep my Star Trek pro because it’s my wife’s favorite

#22 5 years ago

Why I hesitate on BM66 is not that I don’t like any part of it, I know I like it. My problem is how I feel when I get done Ruling the Universe... twice... and chalking up a 20+ billion game (my personal best to date is 23B) Nothing like it for me except maybe someday getting MOR twice on ball one of MB and ending with a 1.33 billion game. Thats coming later this year after my MBrLE shows up in February (March?!?) or at least I have a goal in mind to work towards...

#23 5 years ago

BM66, and don't go by what game gets played the most at these guys little pinball parties. I really like AFM but its gets old fast BM66 is the better game in my opinion. Get both thats the best option.

#24 5 years ago

Pinballs.com has AFM LE still NIB
I’d chose Batman 66 because I have MMR already.

67C3BBD3-E634-43BB-9561-80C641B6EA29 (resized).png67C3BBD3-E634-43BB-9561-80C641B6EA29 (resized).png
#25 5 years ago

BM66 has longevity

AFMLE does not imo. It's gone, fun while it lasted though

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Bought and sold AFM twice. When I bought it back the second time I played it for a few days then quickly realized there was nothing else.

I hear you. I had an AFMLE for a couple of months and quickly got bored of it. It is a classic and a great, beautiful game but just doesn’t hold a candle to BM66 in a home environment IMO.

#27 5 years ago

Both are great.

I’ve played so much AFM through the years that BM66 is breath of fresh air.

BM66 would be my choice between the two.

#28 5 years ago

I like both but picked Batman66 by a nose!! My wife likes AFMLE

#29 5 years ago

I have both games currently.

BM66 wins this race handidly. AFMr is great and the big display is awesome, but BM66 is one of the deepest games (heck, I think it is the deepest) of all time. The big display on AFMr is great with the upgraded graphics but it doesn’t hold a candle to BM66’s display...

#30 5 years ago

BM66! Fantastic!

#31 5 years ago

I love both and plan to buy both within the next year, but I would probably go for BM66 if I could only take one. The code is so insanely good on that game, and it will keep you busy for a long time at home.

Really can't go wrong either way, though.

#32 5 years ago

I own both, and they are great. But BM66 for me just has so many different ways to approach it and is great for the whole family.

#33 5 years ago

I have AFMr se and play BM 66 at Level 257.

I would rather have Batman, but afm is crowd favorite.

#34 5 years ago

I have both. Impossible to pick one for me. Boy - this is a hard one - they are both as close to perfect as you can get these days.

#35 5 years ago

I want to thank all the posters for their take on this, especially those who have or currently own both. I guess I need to go BM66 premium because my deepest game still is FGy even with a MBrLE coming. And MB and AFM are twin brothers of different mothers, although RTU > MoR in difficulty in my book.

#36 5 years ago

Hope all the people that got bored of afm so quickly didn't order mb and expect it to be any different....bc it gets old even sooner imo. I personally think afm is about the perfect pinball machine. I've had mine for years and still haven't ruled the universe but even if i did I'd still keep it. Sounds like people maybe set their pins up way way to easy and have 10-20 min games every time.... which any pin will grow old quickly . A pin does not need to be jjp deep to be great ...there's so much more to a pinball playing experience than code u will rarely see. As for bat66 i don't care for the way it plays but can appreciate the appeal.

#37 5 years ago

I think you need to go with BM66. Both BM66 and AFM are coded by Lyman and if I have to pick one it would be Lyman's favourite game of all time, AFM.

We bought BM66 because my wife wanted it. Now, she plays AFMrLE more than BM66. We have AFMrLE set up steep and the out lanes set fully open. Not very many people get to rule the universe!

#38 5 years ago

MBrLE was a mutual purchase for wife and I, been on our combined short list with TAF for some years... I know what I am getting with MB, a pin I can beat, and have with the exception of LL, which I have yet to accomplish on a real machine, but have done it playing on a vp cabinet and on PA on my iPad, which does not count. My best personal AFM double RTU and 23 billion score is a reason to go BM66 alone, but I like shooting AFM. It satisfies some deep pinball urge like no other pin, not sure why.

#39 5 years ago

I see 6 employees of deeproot have voted LOL.

I went for batman 66 on this one but its a tough choice. Both games are epic and no matter which you've got a great game. Batman probably has more effort you need to put into it, but AFM a twenty year old game that still really delivers. but you need to play both and decide!

#40 5 years ago

BM66 no contest in my opinion but should know that cool Batman topper you mention is Not available for the Premium only the plastic sign version which is not worth the plastic its printed on.

#41 5 years ago

If you want an easy game AFM
If uou want a deep game with strategy BM66

#42 5 years ago

BM66 based on your analysis.

Also play AFMR first - it does play different to an original AFM.

You may love it , or you may not.

#43 5 years ago

BM 66 all the way. Deeper game won’t get boring and video is awesome. Attack from Mars is a terrific game too, batman is the way to go.

#44 5 years ago

AFM is my favorite machine, but I also own BM66 in my game room. I much prefer AFM however I enjoy playing pinball with my family. So their input is important. I would personally lean BM66 if it meant playing more pinball with my family. I would however just sell a lesser title and get both

#45 5 years ago

I find myself with this same choice for my next pin so I am tuned in to this thread. It seems like AFM is popular with family, friends and visitors while BM66 is deep and would a be a good consideration for home use. Is BM66 really fun? Honestly. Owners - does it still feel clunky or have you been able to adjust your timing to make it flow better?

#46 5 years ago

BM66 is really fun!

#47 5 years ago

If you prefer simpler rules and a much better playing game AFM

If you prefer depth and dont mind a mediocre shooting game BM66

#48 5 years ago

Ive flipped all of the pins, BM66 (pro/pre/le), AFMrSE, AFMrLE, but not the latest code on all BM66, and only a premium at .95 (or what ever was in the premiums at Expo) is the latest code I have played.

Asking for Flow on BM66 is kind of like asking a chicken to fly like an eagle... it can try real hard, and it can get airborn, but it cant keep itself in the air that long. Something always stops you from getting it really going except when in a multiball... at least that is my experience, but the multiballs are fun. Certainly no lack of depth.

AFM remakes... people say they flip differently. I say there is some “funky”, non-describable quality in how it shoots, but I think the biggest difference is they are just new. Everyones existing AFM has been played more and has been broke in, and machine to machine there are major differences on originals, and if you regularly flip an original, the remakes feel different, but is it flipper lag or possibly some difference beneath the table? I don’t know.

That said, the remakes all provide a good AFM fix, even if for a short stay in your collection. I mean who doesn’t want to rule the universe at least just once in that gloriously wide, re-dotted display?

#49 5 years ago

It is amazing to me that BM66 is becoming so well regarded to compete head to head with AFMr in this thread. That is an incredible turn around from the launch, and speaks to the power of Lyman's code.

#50 5 years ago

Just buy a Munsters pin Bubblehead. Its what all the cool kids are buying right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-bm66-premium-or-afmrle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.