7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20170401191600 (resized).jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I have narrowed down my purchase choice to either the ST Pro or the AS Pro. I know the ST is hard to find since its out of production, but I have been able to locate one for about the same price as the AS.

I think I would have alot fun with either machine, but on paper the the better value is the AS with the new LCD and sound. I know it boils down to personal preference, but what are some of the pros and cons of each machine? I figure whatever one I don't buy now I can always get later from HUO. What do you all think as a first NIB? What haven't I considered yet?

Thanks alot everyone's for the opinions. Hoping to buy either today or tomorrow.

#2 7 years ago

I haven't played AS, and theme doesn't appeal to me, but if I were in your shoes, I would get the AS. Play the AS until you want a change, shouldn't be difficult to find someone to trade for ST pro later. There's a ton of them out there and those owners will be looking to change it up / upgrade to LCD.

#3 7 years ago

Is Star Trek out of production? I'd get that one personally. I've played both. Both have good flow. Aerosmith has great art, but you have to listen to the same songs every time you play. Could get old after awhile unless you're a huge fan.
Star Trek has 3 flippers and great flow. It's a classic.

#4 7 years ago

To add to the decision, which machine would be easier to come by in the future at a cheaper cost? HUO I would guess I would be looking for?

#5 7 years ago

Star Trek is such a killer game, the warp ramp is a blast that keeps me coming back. But, the light show and flow on the PREM/LE is the way to go. You really need the whole experience on this title to appreciate it long term. And you should be able to get a HUO one for mid to low $4k.

That said, my vote goes to AS pro especially when comparing to ST PRO. It's a fun pin and has the better 'pro' package all around.

ST PRO pros:
- warp ramp
- fast with amazing flow
- great sound package. Lots of call outs, sounds, and music

ST pro cons:
- code progression: from start to finish its pretty much one or two layers of momentum. The progression and advancement takes a long time to get through.
- light show and vuk flow missing from the le/PREM
- vengeance and punch it button could have been integrated better

AS PRO pros:
-fun
-one more game factor
- great all around package

AS PRO cons:
- not sure if this is a con: but everything about the game (except LCD) is copy+paste from some other pin. Artwork and layout is a kiss/met hybrid. Code is ST, TF, MUST hybrid. But it does all work together in one package.
- long term last ability is still an unknown as its so new.
- fast game that slows down due to code a prolonged animation scenes.
- don't expect rules/code to mature much more than it already is; but that's not necessarily a bad thing cause the code is good as is.

#6 7 years ago

ST is a really good game. I had it for a year and a half and it is my only game I would get back someday. AS is the shiny new toy though and will probably be my next one. Figure $425 to add a color DMD to ST. This should finally come out now that it is out of production. It will be awesome, but figure that into the price comparison also.

I would get AS now and play the crap out of it. ST will be available down the line at a fair price. They made a ton of them.

#7 7 years ago

St is one of the best flowing games ever made and is a light show for the price. Rules get a little stale though.

As is a fun shooter and probably what I would go for. I'm unloading my Star Trek for an Aerosmith and I love Star Trek

#8 7 years ago

Star Trek!

so many different ways to play thru it

stack a mode 3 deep like nero then go thru the rest or beat all lvl 1's so you can get to KM right away, etc. 3 wizard modes and I havent even sniffed 5 Year Mission. Enterprise Amok is hard enough to get to.

Great light show, great flow. stack modes into multiball. try and time up your warp 9.1 double scoring with KM medal count for huge points.

Vengeance battles are intense risk reward

ST all day. AS is Kiss 2.0 with some metallica sounds

#9 7 years ago

I''m voting ST. Not a fan of the AS theme, but I'd consider getting a premium instead. It's well worth the difference you will pay.

#10 7 years ago

Star Trek is MUCH better, from code to layout.

I think Aerosmith is just fine. It's fun. It has fantastic art. But having played both, and all versions of both, Star Trek wins in every aspect, aside from art and light show.

#11 7 years ago

Star Trek is a great game. Since they are no longer in production if you want to get one NIB this would be a good time.

#12 7 years ago

You won't regret getting Star Trek.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You won't regret getting Star Trek.

Agreed...no regret here. +1 st .
As looks like fun and if it were a band I liked I'd be looking closer. Band just got to much airplay in its second coming just can't stand to hear them anymore.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I''m voting ST. Not a fan of the AS theme, but I'd consider getting a premium instead. It's well worth the difference you will pay.

I would love to get a premium, but its just not in the budget so to speak.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

I would love to get a premium, but its just not in the budget so to speak.

Don't worry, the pro isn't THAT big of a compromise. They did a great job making the pro a complete package. The premium has some nice touches to it, but there's not a lot lost by going with a pro.

#16 7 years ago

A tougher call would be between Metallica and Star Trek. Between AS and ST, I would go with the ST.

#17 7 years ago

I've had both but Aerosmith wins and it's not even close. Aerosmith is just a much better designed game and is way more fun to play.

#18 7 years ago

I own both. Sitting back to back.
Star Trek is a better game.
Aerosmith is more fun.
That's what you're deciding between.

IMG20170401191600 (resized).jpgIMG20170401191600 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

I owned ST and played areosmith about a dozen games didnt care for AS get ST

#20 7 years ago

Both are very good games. I played ST in an arcade and loved it. If you like music and Aerosmith go for AS. Otherwise ST.
There's no bad choice here.

#21 7 years ago

ST is hard to find? Maybe locally but seems like a lot come up for sale on pinside. I would say get AS now since it is new and get a used ST pro later when you can find one. I wouldn't be comfortable paying the same for ST as AS. ST is a much older game and doesn't have the color display. ST is a great game and I agree with all the comments above. I have not played AS but seems like a fun game. I know a lot of pins borrow things from other pins but AS seems pretty obvious about it right down to Sparky/Jackie. Guys that have played almost all say it is fun so that is really what is important. Can't go wrong with either but I would say AS to get a newer game with improved features.

#22 7 years ago

Aerosmith for the win - it's awesome!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I've had both but Aerosmith wins and it's not even close. Aerosmith is just a much better designed game and is way more fun to play.

The last game you buy is always the best game ever...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The last game you buy is always the best game ever...

Heh, and for me that'd be Star Trek and I agree with your statement.

BUT I'd say if you *need* NIB... get a Star Trek before the last of the current stock gets sold. If you don't mind used, I'd probably still go Star Trek since you could save some cash now... and then pick up a used Aerosmith after you either get tired of ST and sell it or have cash for another machine.

I can say I love our Star Trek Pro. We've only had it a couple months now but I still play it daily. Aerosmith I haven't played, but from the videos that also looks pretty solid. Like a few have already said... I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck with the decision.

#25 7 years ago

Repetitive A.S. songs would get old after a while. Star Trek never grows old. Star Trek wins for this reason.

#26 7 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. As a long time Star Trek fan I cant pass it up as the first machine I get.

I will also need to order protectors and the like. I cant seem to find any quality balls for the Pin. I check Pinball Life, but they seem to be out of stock. Should I replace or doing anything else to the machine (other than play it) when I get it?

Thanks again for all of the help. Im really excited to join the Pin ownership group LOL.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. As a long time Star Trek fan I cant pass it up as the first machine I get.
I will also need to order protectors and the like. I cant seem to find any quality balls for the Pin. I check Pinball Life, but they seem to be out of stock. Should I replace or doing anything else to the machine (other than play it) when I get it?
Thanks again for all of the help. Im really excited to join the Pin ownership group LOL.

Try titan pinball for shiny pinballs:
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=70

Get a shaker. It's awesome in ST.

Upgrade the sound somehow too. Either flipper fidelity sub + speakers. Or cheaper route, get external sub woofer - polka audio. Search pinside; but you can sometimes get these for <$80

Get the metal ramp protectors. Forgot who sold them Ulek store I think? But definitely worth the protection as the game is so fast the left ramp is prone to cracks.

I'll urge you one more time to search out a used premium. There was one in CA for $6k not too long ago. In fact, he may not have sold it. Check in the CA for sale thread, ask if anyone's selling one for a good price. You can always say no to their price and stick with the pro. But after $400 in mods, you'll bbe close to a used modded premium.

#28 7 years ago

I second adding sound system (I have flipper fidelity speakers it's awesome) also have the shaker. The sound and call outs are exceptional on ST, IMHO.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

Awesome choice. However, both answers would have been good. AS is fun. I'm not sure that fun will last, but so far it is enjoyable.

But ST is a great game. Every time I play it, I enjoy it. And THAT is the most important part of a pinball machine.

#30 7 years ago

I will keep an eye out for a Premium, but this is something I wanted to get in the next few days so I may be out of luck on that. I figured with a Pro I can slowly build the mods as funds allow.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Try titan pinball for shiny pinballs:
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=70
Get a shaker. It's awesome in ST.

I looked and those stated they could be magnetized. Will that be an issue with the ST?

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

I looked and those stated they could be magnetized. Will that be an issue with the ST?

Possibly. Check out nifty LED. I think they have some.

#33 7 years ago

Something like this?

http://www.niftyled.com/standard-arcade-pinballs/

They only had two options. I would plan on buying a few sets.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

Something like this?
http://www.niftyled.com/standard-arcade-pinballs/
They only had two options. I would plan on buying a few sets.

I've never ordered the balls from nifty so not sure how they are. The cascade premium ones are $3.50 a pop which is a pretty hefty pinball price. I'm curious how they compare to the pbl ultra gloss ones. I may have to pick up a pack of 4 to try on my SM.

http://www.niftyled.com/cascade-premium-pinballs/

#35 7 years ago

On ST I really don't think there is a huge difference between the pro and the premium. You'll certainly be very happy with a pro.

#36 7 years ago

Funny how people always talk about listening to the same music over and over on music pins, as if that doesn't happen on every pin.

#37 7 years ago

Between these two. I love ST for the flow of the game. ST is the style of game that I personally like. AS has more depth to the rules. I've only played AS about 25 times so I'm still learning the strategy and rules of the game. The frustrating thing about the location AS that I have been playing is that about 25% of ball launches go straight down the middle. It might be a setup issue on that machine. It's super frustrating. ST would be a perfect machine for me if there were additional rules and coding to it. If those two machines were side by side, most of my plays would go to ST. Unless, there was a GOT machine next to those. GOT has the flow of ST but with more and better rules.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Funny how people always talk about listening to the same music over and over on music pins, as if that doesn't happen on every pin.

TH has a good variety though

#39 7 years ago

Well the Star Trek Pro is done and ordered. For my first Pin I wanted to go NIB. I didn't want to go overboard with the premium and couldn't afford NIB on that one anyway. Apparently I got the last one from MiPinballRefinery and they were fantastic to deal with at a good price. I also added on the shaker motor at a good price as well.

Ironically I have a 2010 Hallmark Enterprise that my wife wont allow on the tree so guess where thats going LOL.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

Apparently I got the last one from MiPinballRefinery and they were fantastic to deal with at a good price.

Good Choice.....or lucky happenstance. Steve at MiPinballRefinery is one of the really good ones in this hobby.

#41 7 years ago

I know there are others here that are fantastic as well. Steve and MiPinballRefinery was the first one that I called and he had it. Answered my questions and even threw in a set of nicer pinballs as well. I know that they dont cost alot, but its always the little things that make a difference when taking care of your customer.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

Well the Star Trek Pro is done and ordered. For my first Pin I wanted to go NIB. I didn't want to go overboard with the premium and couldn't afford NIB on that one anyway. Apparently I got the last one from MiPinballRefinery and they were fantastic to deal with at a good price. I also added on the shaker motor at a good price as well.
Ironically I have a 2010 Hallmark Enterprise that my wife wont allow on the tree so guess where thats going LOL.
Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

pretty funny, I was looking at the same exact two pins, well those and ghost busters. I was taken with AS at the TPF, even though I'm not a huge music fan I thought the game was really nice. Also found a new place near my area with a crap ton of pins, ST pro being one of them. figured ST would be the better choice especially if you want it NIB. they probably won't be there for much longer. I still really want that ghost busters though really fun game. to bad I'm not big ballin

#43 7 years ago

Red DMD game?

Lol no way

Aerosmith!

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Red DMD game?
Lol no way
Aerosmith!

Honestly one of the big reasons I was looking at the AS was because of the LCD. Im not a huge fan of the band and in the end felt I would like ST better , since I am somewhat of a fan. Maybe down the road I can get a machine with the LCD and content that I really like.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Red DMD game?
Lol no way
Aerosmith!

Like all of your games "were" right.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Xrated:

Honestly one of the big reasons I was looking at the AS was because of the LCD. Im not a huge fan of the band and in the end felt I would like ST better , since I am somewhat of a fan. Maybe down the road I can get a machine with the LCD and content that I really like.

That's using your head. Soooo many of us just buy a game cuz it's the newest and so few have it.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's using your head. Soooo many of us just buy a game cuz it's the newest and so few have it.

You hit the nail on the head. After thinking it through felt that I was getting really caught up in the newest machine with the LCD. Not saying its a bad machine at all.

#48 7 years ago

If you haven't seen the ST movies the pin was based on check them out.

Also if you saw them watch them again it was cool to catch the call outs.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

If you haven't seen the ST movies the pin was based on check them out.
Also if you saw them watch them again it was cool to catch the call outs.

Main reason that drew me to Star Trek is Im just a big Trekkie....Not full on, but enough to enjoy the shows and movies.

#50 7 years ago

Congratulations on your new Star Trek! You will love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 12.75
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-aerosmith-pro-or-star-trek-pro-purchase/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.