You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21ccc39dc5ea09a879ed8f75783c0b7e.jpg
IMG_0818.JPG
2012-09-06_09.55.07.jpg
#1 11 years ago

First, let me express how psyched I am about this game. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase but no game that I've ever owned (I've had close to 100 different games) has drawn me in so quickly like AC/DC. Others here have said I will be dusting off my other games and they are right. The whole package rocks...and I'm not an AC/DC fan. I know of them, I grew up with them, and know their music, but I don't own a single album (that's what we called them in our day ) In my opinion, the 12 songs they picked are perfect.

Many thanks go to the fine people here for preparing me with info, to Greg for his referral to Trent, and Trent for being super fast with getting me my machine (ordering it on Friday and had it the following Wednesday.

I did a TON of research prior to its arrival and came up with a lot of similar issues. They are below in no particular order.

My issues:

The cannon ramp slipped below the post and washer. A simple pull up reseated it and all is well. No need to install a larger washer as others have done.

Put more mylar under both sides of the lockdown bar to prevent rail damage. My mylar was already chewed up on the right side so I'm assuming I'm not the only one with this issue.

The cannon ramp issue when it has two balls loaded is still a problem. I used the shooter tip method and it works perfectly. If you don't correct this issue, you will see the cannon stops as the second ball binds against the ramp and prevents it from moving. One other thing I did was cover the diode on the cannon switch with small plastic tubing to prevent a possible short as the second ball as it falls off the ramp rolls right over most of the exposed metal switch parts, including the diode as it exits the ramp.

The metal piece (interrupter ?) on the bell that passes through the opto was loose and hitting the opto. A minor tweak and re tighten the screws fixed it. I find it hard to believe this got loose in transit. Loose as in the screws turned a good 3 revolutions to tighten it down.

Issues others have experience:

Check the wires by the left side drop targets and make sure they are away from the bar that resets the drop targets. (Not really a big issue on mine, but I did do a minor rerouting of the wires.

Make sure your flashers behind the lightning bolts are far enough behind the target to prevent breaking.

AC/DC optos were firing all by themselves without touching the game. Reseating the connectors on both target banks fixed it. Just doing the AC/DC bank was not enough.

Cannon issue where it often would not load. Should be a black spacer under the ramp near the cannon.

Check the canon for rubbing against the ramp. Free it up or reroute cannon wires.

Fire switch usually needs tweaking from the factory.

Game up in test can be ok, regular playfield not ok. Some found that the steel cam can hit the opto.

Switch #62 is activated when the cannon motor's grinder passes through the opto interrupter board underneath the playfield. The fault appears to be my opto interrupter board. Check any and all connections leading back from the board in case something came loose.

Hells flipper rubbers come off. Put some hair spray on them to secure.

Add ons:
plastic washers under the leg bolts to prevent paint damage
invisiglass
mylar on the shooter lane
shooter lane protector

Future add ons:
pinbits protectors
FF speaker upgrade kit. I have read a lot on speaker upgrades, but very few on the actual FF upgrade. I'm mostly interested in a drop in replacement kit and not a DIY project. I may start another thread regarding this.

#2 11 years ago

You lost me at 'AC / DC'.

#3 11 years ago

A brand new game requires this much work? That's insane for something so expensive.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

A brand new game requires this much work? That's insane for something so expensive.

Welcome to pinball.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Foastenhund:

Welcome to pinball.

welcome to chinese pinball.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from youdontknowme:

welcome to chinese pinball.

Welcome to chinese Stern pinball?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I was pleasantly surprised how little I had to do. I have never had a game, new, restored by the best, used, whatever, that was plug and play. Something always needs tweaking.

#8 11 years ago

Im unboxing another Premium this weekend. Manufactued 9/27/12. Thanks for the reminder list. Like Xmas. Love new pinball smell.

First order is New pinballs. Stock ones are crap.

Add these mirrored bolts.

"plastic washers under the leg bolts to prevent paint damage". YES. Ace Hardware sells these for 25 cents. Black Nylon washers.

Also change bulbs behind lightening bolts to 906 flashers. Or LED but I prefer regular.

2012-09-06_09.55.07.jpg2012-09-06_09.55.07.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Av8....is this your third ACDC NIB?

#10 11 years ago

4TH! Stern should give me a free shirt.

I sold my first Pro after Prem arrived (Mistake in hind sight). Then missed the Pro for fun and speed.

Got a great deal from FF on my 3rd NIB.

Now this new run on Premium. 4th. The new Code sold me. Plus future updates should kick ass.

I have searched for ACDC replacements and can find none. It is my 1 favorite pin so I must have both. AFM is close second, TOTAN is 3rd , BSD is 4rd fav for now.

Heres my first Pro with FF sound. Tell me this isnt the fastest Stern ever.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im unboxing another Premium this weekend. Manufactued 9/27/12. Thanks for the reminder list. Like Xmas. Love new pinball smell.
First order is New pinballs. Stock ones are crap.
Add these mirrored bolts.
"plastic washers under the leg bolts to prevent paint damage". YES. Ace Hardware sells these for 25 cents. Black Nylon washers.
Also change bulbs behind lightening bolts to 906 flashers. Or LED but I prefer regular.

Are you using a rubber washer between the leg bolt and the legs? Wish I had done that on my powdercoated IM legs. Never even thought of it. Have a ACDC coming this weekend. Thanx for the tips Hank and AV8

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Foastenhund:

Welcome to pinball.

Should not be that way for a NIB machine - should work 100% from the box with out any mods

#13 11 years ago

Nylon washers like these found locally at hardware stores. Pinball life has then too.

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&Ntt=nylon+washers

#14 11 years ago

It should but, usually, does it?

I've never had a NIB, but would expect to be calling the 800 number and having to do some stuff within the first couple of weeks if I did. Not a knock on Stern or the hobby, just a fact of life.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Foastenhund:

It should but, usually, does it?
I've never had a NIB, but would expect to be calling the 800 number and having to do some stuff within the first couple of weeks if I did. Not a knock on Stern or the hobby, just a fact of life.

True. This subject has been beat to death in many threads.

I like fixing complex mechanical machines. I like tools. I love virgin NIB pinball machines.

I am grateful Stern Tech support is still available.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Nylon washers like these found locally at hardware stores. Pinball life has then too.

I got them at my local True Value. Mine were white.
And yes, the included balls aren't that shiny, so they were also replaced with PBL's

#17 11 years ago

Stern's quality has gone waaaaaaaaayyyy downhill, especially on their new games. It's too bad really. It seems they are on a high note with better games but a low note with quality control.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Stern's quality has gone waaaaaaaaayyyy downhill, especially on their new games. It's too bad really. It seems they are on a high note with better games but a low note with quality control.

What are you basing this on? This seem like a subject for a new thread. The Op is posting a good checklist to help with preventive mx items.

How many parts in a pinball machine?? How many connections? These bounce thousands of miles to my door in a 18 wheeler. My Stern pins are damn amazing reliable.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks for the thread, hank! Some great information in there. I still haven't decided how I want to tackle the multiple balls jamming in the cannon issue. To be honest, Jim's solution makes the most sense to me. I'm just a little nervous to put a Dremel to my ramp.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for the thread, hank! Some great information in there.

I contribute very little, so it makes me happy when I can help out

Quoted from gweempose:

Jim's solution makes the most sense to me. I'm just a little nervous to put a Dremel to my ramp.

I feel your pain. Try the shooter tip. If you don't like it, Stern may come up with another "neater, more appropriate" answer. The shooter tip trick works like a charm and it takes less than 5 minutes.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

I feel your pain. Try the shooter tip. If you don't like it, Stern may come up with another "neater, more appropriate" answer. The shooter tip trick works like a charm and it takes less than 5 minutes.

Does someone have a picture of the shooter tip mod?

#22 11 years ago

Does the premium have the silver t moulding around the front of the backbox? I can't find a good pic of it.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Does the premium have the silver t moulding around the front of the backbox? I can't find a good pic of it.

Yes it does.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Agree.

Look at XM.

And mine should be arriving next week and I expect as many issues as buying a 1990's pin. If people accept poor QC then there will be no improvement going forward.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

What are you basing this on? This seem like a subject for a new thread. The Op is posting a good checklist to help with preventive mx items.
How many parts in a pinball machine?? How many connections? These bounce thousands of miles to my door in a 18 wheeler. My Stern pins are damn amazing reliable.

From my perspective, Stern pins 8-10 years ago were much more reliable than today's machines. I've already had 2 boards and 2 canons completely fail on my AC/DC premium (and this isn't the entire list of problems). It's the buggiest pin I've ever owned. In fact, I've owned over about 20 pinball machines over the past 2 years and have never had a board completely fail!

I think it's great that you've had good luck, but I know many other collectors who are disappointed in Stern's quality control recently. If it weren't for Stern's excellent support team, it would be a lot worse.

#27 11 years ago

I'm starting to believe QC comes from production date. Meaning, if you buy the first production run of a game it will also be the buggiest. I got the latest run of ACDC prem and had only ONE minor problem which was the cannon getting stuck against the ramp - easy fix.

My TFLE was first run - lots of design/QC issues

XMLE was first run - tons of QC issues

All my other sterns were non-first production games and they all had very minor adjustment issues.

Point being, do not buy LE as they are usually first production. I would like to see the future of LE production go like this....build pros/premiums. A year or 2 later - build LEs.

Needless to say, I won't buy first run ever again, hope others learn from my experience and do the same. I couldn't be happier with my 2nd run ACDC - its how a pin should always be when it first comes out of a box.

#28 11 years ago

Does someone have a picture of the shooter tip mod?

IMG_0818.JPGIMG_0818.JPG

#29 11 years ago

Thanks, hank! That's pretty much what I was picturing. Does it affect the ball's speed or trajectory when it's propelled from the cannon. Also, it looks like it would prevent that switch on the right from being triggered.

Quoted from hank35:

Plastic washers under the leg bolts to prevent paint damage ...

If I've already installed the legs without such washers, is this moot?

#30 11 years ago

This last run of Premiums is really nice. They seem to have production and playfields dialed in. If your your on the fence about getting one, time to pounce.

Lyman's update is stunningly good. Led s are crazy good. I like the Pink inserts for Rosie. And the Blue on war machine. The VIP pass helps save you at end of MB. Kudos to Lyman and SR.

21ccc39dc5ea09a879ed8f75783c0b7e.jpg21ccc39dc5ea09a879ed8f75783c0b7e.jpg

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks, hank! That's pretty much what I was picturing. Does it affect the ball's speed or trajectory when it's propelled from the cannon. Also, it looks like it would prevent that switch on the right from being triggered.

I played it prior to the tip being installed and notice absolutely NO difference in exit speed or distance with the tip installed. To date, it hasn't fallen off yet like others have mentioned either. If it does, I was thinking a dab of contact cement on the tip and plunger. Maybe I lucked out, but I didn't have to do any cannon switch tweaking either.

Quoted from gweempose:

If I've already installed the legs without such washers, is this moot?

I put them on because I can see the leg holes looking like Monster Bash' decals around the leg in no time. It's cheap insurance and it's easy to do. Check out your local True Value. Mine stocked both white and black. I chose the smaller outside diameter, which is slightly smaller than the hex head in white. I bought both the larger and small outside diameters and played with both. The larger diameter squished (that's a technical term) when I tighten the leg bolts down. The smaller ones did too, but no where like the larger ones.

#32 11 years ago

I also finally got my AC/DC premium last week, and it's a sweet machine! I have a friend with an older premium and he commented at how much nicer the window is in mine.. and I agree. And not only that, but the entire playfield's clearcoat looks better and we both agreed that ALL of the inserts look clearer/better. And the shooter lane has a nice clear also, unlike his.

Glad I got in on this batch! Such a fun game! And AV8, my kids love the game also and it's funny to watch them dancing around the machine!

I'm having some non-pinball guys over for the Eagles game today, I'm curious to see which game(s) they gravitate to...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-acdc-issues-check-list and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.