Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0863[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_0862[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_0861[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_0860[1] (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider APOLLO_13.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey all, just a real quick question about this system 80 driver board... not a modern game but a modern board so I thought I would put this here.

board is a system 80 I purchased for my black hole machine (1981)
    had some issues and well I blew a transistor... board says IRF530
    I went to Great Plains and looked up that number and it showed me that it is not compatible with the number that is on the mosfet lol
    The number on the mosfet is 12N10L
    soooo, I would ass u me that I should go with the mosfet that's installed rather than whats printed on the board.
    got kinda murky there... I just wanted someone to maybe verify that I should go with IRL530N for the replacement...

Thanks in advance for any input

IMG_0860[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0860[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0861[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0861[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0862[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0862[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0863[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0863[1] (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

ah, awesome thanks for that link... and that was my thought stay with what was installed, but even that part is no longer available... so I'll go with it's sub... better yet I'll get in touch with ni wumpf and ask them, that way I don't screw something up lol.
    Hey, thanks again

#5 6 years ago

sending an email now

#12 6 years ago

So the IRL530N is what they are telling me is the equivalent to the 12N10L that is installed, I was looking through my parts stock, and I have 2 of the P20N10L mosfets I used for another game, which converts to a IRL540N
    Can you use the 40N in place of the 30N? or would it hurt something? max drain current is doubled... I don't know a lot about these things.

Type Designator: IRL530N

Type of Transistor: MOSFET

Type of Control Channel: N -Channel

Maximum Power Dissipation (Pd): 79 W

Maximum Drain-Source Voltage |Vds|: 100 V

Maximum Gate-Source Voltage |Vgs|: 4.5 V

Maximum Drain Current |Id|: 17 A

Maximum Junction Temperature (Tj): 150 °C

Maximum Drain-Source On-State Resistance (Rds): 0.1 Ohm

Package: TO220AB

Type Designator: IRL540N

Type of Transistor: MOSFET

Type of Control Channel: N -Channel

Maximum Power Dissipation (Pd): 140 W

Maximum Drain-Source Voltage |Vds|: 100 V

Maximum Gate-Source Voltage |Vgs|: 4.5 V

Maximum Drain Current |Id|: 36 A

Maximum Junction Temperature (Tj): 150 °C

Maximum Drain-Source On-State Resistance (Rds): 0.044 Ohm

Package: TO220AB

#14 6 years ago

yes

#16 6 years ago

and I have no idea so I guess I'll wait and order the IRL530N from Great Plains when they re open. thanks just got this thing up and running after 5 years so I don't want to smoke something else that puts me back hundreds lol

#18 6 years ago

so would the strength of this mosfet be more likely to not fail in the event of an issue vs the IRL530? I guess what I mean is would it be like over fusing a circuit? don't want to take out traces or any other component in the event something goes wrong
    if not then heck I'll go ahead and replace this 530 with the 540 and play a game

actually once I get this fixed I still have one more issue to figure out...

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from DoverPros:

The official answer: MOSFET parts availability come and go pretty fast. To complicate that, manufacturers are NOT in the least bit interested at all in quality control any longer - think about stereo transistors, and the effort it takes to match a "pull" transistor, with it's equivalent "push" component - it just can't be done any more. So, while an RFP14N10L MOSFET is supposed to sink a whole lot more current than the 12N10L, in actual experience of batch lots, this is not always been the case. We stopped sourcing Fairchild for that reason.
    But enough of the background. What we want is a component that acts as a switch, and all of the components mentioned above do so. Then we want plenty of current so that the coil isn't sluggish or weak. That becomes a challenge when we talk about the quality of manufacturing that I started into. In short, I should take that IRF530 silkscreen off of the board. Those parts are fine, and an IRL530 would be an excellent sub as well. Right now, I have found that the most consistently produced part is a 13N10L, which could be a QFP part (from ON Semiconductors), or you can try an STP24NF10. The key is to try these components in the board under operational conditions - that seems to be the best approach - the manufacturers are just not meeting the response curves of their part spec.s - I won't comment on why.
    Next, be aware that MOSFETs *HATE* reverse voltage fields. This is where the real magic is now: what is the reverse voltage bias on the circuit that might damage the MOSFET?!? Very random seems to be the answer. And this means that making sure your coil diodes are in line and not damaged, or loose, is the key to keeping modern driver boards going. I have discontinued using other manufacturers as a result of low sensitivity to reverse bias.
    There is going to be feedback on spec.s for these parts - that's OK. I get it. My experience has been that the production batches have had a LOT more to do with reliable operation of these components, than what their spec.s state.
    -Ace

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

I can see your point But
    1 -- the real absolute maximum current that In IRL530 can withstand is always higher than the part is spec'd to.
    2 -- it should never be the component to determine the max current -- it should always be the fuse and the trace should always be designed to handle maximum current limit. As long as the fuse is correct then the heftier part can be used. Some board designers put in minimal effort on trace width designs. Ni Wumpf doesn't seem to be one of those and all I have seen from them have been good designs.

So the fact that this is a fused circuit, and it blew out the IRL530 or that it fused it to always be sending out a ground signal to the coil, and then popping the fuse, may mean that possibly it had a faulty part to begin with... not placing blame on the mfg, it was totally my fault this happened, just wrapping my head around the fact that the fuse should have protected this and it didn't. So that was my concern about putting in the IRL540... if the fuse doesn't protect it and it locks again will it damage anything else or just lock the coil on again and then blow the fuse... if that's the case then no worries, I can deal with replacing another mosfet, fuse, or coil and diode assy.

I have checked the coil and the diode, both are still okay... it was blowing the fuse due to the fact the coil was staying locked on.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from DoverPros:

I should take that IRF530 silkscreen off of the board. Those parts are fine, and an IRL530 would be an excellent sub as well. Right now, I have found that the most consistently produced part is a 13N10L, which could be a QFP part (from ON Semiconductors), or you can try an STP24NF10. The key is to try these components in the board under operational conditions - that seems to be the best approach - the manufacturers are just not meeting the response curves of their part spec.s - I won't comment on why.

I need to look and see if I have one or more of these, but from what he was saying it really shouldn't hurt anything... put it in, try it out...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider APOLLO_13.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ni-wumpf-system-80-driver-board-mosfet-question?tu=APOLLO_13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.