New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 154403)

Ni-Wumpf or Pascal board?

By Pindufus

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm thinking of picking up a Gottlieb Genie. The CPU board is toast but the other boards are all functional. I'd appreciate some thoughts on whether to go with the Ni-Wumpf System 1 CPU board or with Pascal's PI-1/X4 All-in-One board. Ni-Wumpf is about $100 less but Pascal gives 3 boards in one.

How do the two boards compare when considering additional features provided? Ease of 'setting' the boards to the particular game at hand? Reliability?

Any other thoughts relative to comparing the two boards is appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Pascal's board all the way, very well designed.

Steve

#3 4 years ago

I think Pascal makes a cpu only board too.

#4 4 years ago

Pascal does make a CPU only board. I really like it.

I've had both in my games and have kept the Pascal boards around and sold the Ni-Wumpf.

That said, they both work great.

#5 4 years ago

I have used both and i would go with Pascal ,great product , more features ,eliminates all the inter board connectors and ground issues

#6 4 years ago

+1 for Pascal's board. I've had both: Ni-Wumpf and Pascal's. For my money, Pascal's board is a better design, rock solid, and has all sorts of nice features. It's the Cadillac of System 1 boards, in my opinion.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

+1 for Pascal's board. I've had both: Ni-Wumpf and Pascal's. For my money, Pascal's board is a better design, rock solid, and has all sorts of nice features. It's the Cadillac of System 1 boards, in my opinion.

Where would you recommend buying one at?

#8 4 years ago

Last I remember, I bought it right from the website: http://www.flippp.fr/boards.php

#9 4 years ago

I just put a pascal cpu only in my buck Rogers. It's amazing. Skill shot. Light show. Better looking display readouts. All around fantastic product.

#10 4 years ago

If you like Genie enough and think it's a long term addition, go Pascal.
Both boards are good, but Pascal has more features, adds a skill shot, ball save drain clock--and is just better.

You can try Steve Young's pinball resource also, although it may be expensive at that sight.
PinballLife, aftermarket on Pinside--these boards are around. You will find one with some searching.

#11 4 years ago

bigdaddy sells pascal sys1 now.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Better looking display readouts.

I almost forgot about that option.

Pascal even goes through the trouble to include a setting where you can choose whether the displays show the numbers "6" and "9" with a little 'hook' on the end or not. I've had a PI-1X4 in my Buck Rogers since I can remember. Skill shots, addition of adding initials into high score slots, light shows, extended rule-sets, power on self tests that check for proper grounding and solenoid operation, an "economy" mode for the power conscious, ball saves, divide by 10 scoring, the list goes on and on. One nice feature is that the attract mode light show pattern emulates a light pattern you'd see on a System 80 game, so it blends in and looks natural if you have it in a lineup. And if you're a purist, with the click of a setting, you can set the game to work like it did out of the factory.

He really went all-out with the programming and design.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

but Pascal has more features, adds a skill shot, ball save drain clock--and is just better.

I use the ball save drain clock on my Sinbad and I love it. I have both the all in one pascal and the Ni-Wumpf. The pascal gives you more options and is one board, compared to three. If you can afford the time(3 weeks shipping for me) and the money, go with pascal. Sell those other boards on ebay on the cheap for beer money.

#14 4 years ago

Just installed a PI-1/X4 in my Genie.I love it,game plays great with it

#15 4 years ago

I haven't had any experience with the Pascal board, but have heard nothing but good about it. I have a Joker Poker that had a NiWumpf in it when I got it. The machine had some issues, and damaged the board, but they had me send it in and fixed it. They were awesome to deal with. Great service. Have had 0 issues with the board.

#16 4 years ago

I just ordered a Pascal CPU board which should be here today or tomorrow, looks like I made a good decision. I can't wait to try it out.

#17 4 years ago

Thanks all for all your input. It's very much appreciated. I'll check out Pascal's CPU only board and probably go that route if I pull the trigger on the Genie.

#18 4 years ago

Another vote for Pascal. It's awesome.

#19 4 years ago

PASCAL PASCAL PASCAL

Our dollar is stronger now than in the past when ive bought them.. so it brings the price down.

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

I ordered a Pascal CPU board for my Close Encounters. It cured all the small problems I had when I picked up the game. It works flawlwssly and gives you oodles of settings you never would have on a System 1 game. Pascal gets my vote.

#21 4 years ago

Pascal for all the listed reasons. It really is worth the dough

3 weeks later
#23 4 years ago

My dad has put a Pascal board into his Genie and has used Ni-wumpf before and the Pascal is Way better and more reliable. The Ni-wumpf isn't bad, but the Pascal is just so much better with lots of cool extras like a skill shot and high score name entering etc. However I've heard the newer version Ni-wumpf has some of these features as well but I haven't personally seem them

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Thanks all for all your input. It's very much appreciated. I'll check out Pascal's CPU only board and probably go that route if I pull the trigger on the Genie.

Spend a few bucks more and get the all in one board. It's a no brainer.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Castaic, CA
$ 289.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 299.00
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside