Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pinballfan2000
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15830083129615139515503778765892 (resized).jpg
20200212_161427 (resized).jpg
credits (resized).png
20200201a (resized).png
peggle-2-achievements-guide (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
20200130-screenshot 2 (resized).png
20200130-screenshot (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
nineteenth (resized).png
sorcerer (resized).png
EBBF2C82-0DC2-4123-A22E-D0227C859F41.jpeg
intro (resized).png
shortCircuit (resized).png
thunderstorm (resized).png
danceParty (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 4 months ago

That’s pretty cool.

Seeing as the owner already has the game is it still illegal to just swap back to running the original rom via pinMame and have a virtual DMD running on your lcd? Even if the user has to download the rom there self. Least then you can easily swap between the 2 games

#93 4 months ago

Should be pretty easy to convert back via the pinMame + P-Roc integration only thing is how legal is this? (id say very as you already own the machine!!! and rom!!) worst case don't include the rom in the kit (if you don't want to be seen selling roms) and the user has to go and download it and drop it into a folder. Who ever installs this kit is gonna have to a little bit technically any way so dropping a rom zip into a pinMame folder aint gonna hurt.

#110 4 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you're looking to Stern for ideas of how to do screens, don't. They're generally pretty bad at it.
For example, how they have all the scores on the screen at the same time and only marginally make the current player's larger. It is unreadable at any sort of distance.
I did a quick edit on one of your screens to show what I'm talking about.
[quoted image]
You need to FILL the screen. It needs to be readable from 10 feet away. High contrast. Make each part bright and distinctive. I'd recommend a bolder, sans-serif font. I used Impact but Dialed In uses Gotham I think. If you're filling in letters as an achievement progress, make it obvious and make each group a different colour.
Here's an example of an excellent user interface. Mobile games are the perfect place to steal ideas from because they spend millions on making the experience on a tiny screen as compelling as possible.
[quoted image]
Notice the high contrast colouring? Fonts are outlined. Achievement ladders are obvious and high contrast. Backgrounds are lower impact - anything foreground is outlined, versus backgrounds which are not.
Don't be afraid to straight up steal the details from them. They know what they're doing!

This is great advice and will really add to the game and give it that extra wow factor people are asking for, I build slots for a living and these are the basic rules we follow as well, look at any arcade game with a screen / slots / mobile games etc... they all follow the same rules mentioned above. I don’t think your far off I love the background scene and even that funny little 3D character, audio is quite nice as well, just needs some cosmetic tweaks

#138 4 months ago

I’m a little confused why PPS needs to be involved in having it switch back to the original, ppl already own the machine all your doing it enabling what people already own? Only situation is if the rom was to be upgraded or changed in any way. But just a switch should be fine? Just like those Jamma switches people use in arcade machines to switch between games and hardware.

#140 4 months ago
Quoted from djreddog:

PPS is not needed if you want to switch back to the original game “Jamma” style. It would just require 15 minutes of disconnecting everything and reinstalling the original hardware.
What people are requesting is for the game to boot directly to the old code, that requires intervention from PPS.

But why? what's the different between swapping hardware / emulating the game in a rom?

#142 4 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You could just MAME it. That means distribute it WITHOUT the ROMs and make the buyer source them.
PPS not needed.

Indeed, i suggest this above early on in the thread.

1 month later
#178 88 days ago

I thought most Morden day games boot up in some sort of read only manner with pretty much everything done in ram so very little is written to disc so you can just kill the power when you want, it’s usually corrupt files that causes issues on a read write system when powering down mid write. This is how most embedded Linux devices behave.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Los Angeles, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Commack, NY
Boards
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside