Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pinballfan2000
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15830083129615139515503778765892 (resized).jpg
20200212_161427 (resized).jpg
credits (resized).png
20200201a (resized).png
peggle-2-achievements-guide (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
20200130-screenshot 2 (resized).png
20200130-screenshot (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
nineteenth (resized).png
sorcerer (resized).png
EBBF2C82-0DC2-4123-A22E-D0227C859F41.jpeg
intro (resized).png
shortCircuit (resized).png
thunderstorm (resized).png
danceParty (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 4 months ago

Originally I wasn’t going to chime in because I understand how much work this project is and I didn’t want to really be negative, but since it’s out there now, I have to agree with the others.

You should spend some time looking at the display graphics for Dialed In and Aliens - those are the gold standard for excellent display use. High contrast, Sans serif typefaces, in large formats is your starting point.

You should also consider paying for some good models based on the playfield gophers. Lots of gig economy people can build you 3D models based on 2D art for not a lot of cash.

On the sound, I would recommend using upwork or the other professional voice work sites to get high quality dialog recorded in a proper sound booth. It can be done for less than $300 for everything as most of them are contractors who work from home.

Again, I don’t want to diminish the amazing work this entails. But frankly it lacks polish and doesn’t look professional enough to charge money for right now. As a freeware project? Sure. But you’re asking big bucks.

#105 4 months ago

If you're looking to Stern for ideas of how to do screens, don't. They're generally pretty bad at it.

For example, how they have all the scores on the screen at the same time and only marginally make the current player's larger. It is unreadable at any sort of distance.

I did a quick edit on one of your screens to show what I'm talking about.

Make it bigger

You need to FILL the screen. It needs to be readable from 10 feet away. High contrast. Make each part bright and distinctive. I'd recommend a bolder, sans-serif font. I used Impact but Dialed In uses Gotham I think. If you're filling in letters as an achievement progress, make it obvious and make each group a different colour.

Here's an example of an excellent user interface. Mobile games are the perfect place to steal ideas from because they spend millions on making the experience on a tiny screen as compelling as possible.

peggle-2-achievements-guide (resized).jpg

Notice the high contrast colouring? Fonts are outlined. Achievement ladders are obvious and high contrast. Backgrounds are lower impact - anything foreground is outlined, versus backgrounds which are not.

Don't be afraid to straight up steal the details from them. They know what they're doing!

#141 3 months ago

You could just MAME it. That means distribute it WITHOUT the ROMs and make the buyer source them.

PPS not needed.

1 month later
#179 83 days ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

You should not turn off the power by effectively unplugging the machine. This probably applies to several of the other new machines, but I won't speak for which ones.

You keep reinventing the wheel. This is a solved problem. Scott Danesi sells a power controller for this.

Also, you might try joining us at pindev.slack.com and asking some of the guys there how to handle the emulation. This is also a solved problem. Not sure why you’re so dead set on not leveraging the huge custom pinball ecosystem.

#180 83 days ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

And I think that is as it should be since, in the end, it's really all about the kinetics

This is how AP has been thinking - that the playfield And rules is all that matters - but it’s a whole package: playfield, mechs, sound and art. If any one piece is wrong, it doesn’t gel. And then doesn’t sell.

I mean, you’re perfectly welcome to ignore your customers and do your own thing. It’s your project. But you yourself have said you’re not an artist or graphical designer - not sure why you’d say that then discount what people are saying about your art and design.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside