20230919_191611 (resized).jpg
20230829_184134 (resized).jpg
IMG_2778 (resized).jpg
IMG_2780 (resized).jpg
706386814 (resized).jpg
20230505_110335 (resized).jpg
Texas one_230301_174148 (resized).jpg
flyer8x11 REAR - NGG2 - 2022 01 28 (resized).png

There are 337 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Should be pretty easy to convert back via the pinMame + P-Roc integration only thing is how legal is this? (id say very as you already own the machine!!! and rom!!) worst case don't include the rom in the kit (if you don't want to be seen selling roms) and the user has to go and download it and drop it into a folder. Who ever installs this kit is gonna have to a little bit technically any way so dropping a rom zip into a pinMame folder aint gonna hurt.

The right to repair laws may also make it ok to ship the roms with.

#102 4 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments, Josh. By the way, for all of you who are following along, there is a reason his name is listed in the credits of my game: he is one of the great, selfless individuals who have offered me help and advice in developing this kit and it has been truly appreciated.

Quoted from rosh:

First off, jamescardona great job, I know you have been working on this a long time and at the end of the day, as long as you are happy with it and enjoying it, that is what matters most.
I don't think James is doing this is about money. As pointed out, not like hundreds of these are going to be sold, but I think it is about sharing what he has done so others can enjoy his work. Selling kits makes its much easier for others since they don't have to go source displays computers, speakers, set up a computer to run the framework and software (which can take hours), etc. Also not doing kits would just create even more support issues for him in helping folks getting this up and running. Given his time and effort in developing this and then making the kits, he is making little to no profit on this, unless you think getting 25 cents an hour on all of his hard word is a cashing in big. He is clearly doing it for the love of the hobby.
I'm sure James knew he needed a thick skin to offer this up on pinside, so hopefully he is ignoring the negativity of some posts, but I'm sure he is listening to the well thought out feedback and suggestions. He obviously wants this to be as good as it can be, but also true to his vision for it.
While having the ability to easily switch back to the original would be great, the legal and logistical aspects of it make that a huge under taking so I can understand why he has not gone that route, at least for now.
I look forward to getting to play it sometime.

#103 4 years ago

There have been a lot of comments on my code in this thread and I have taken your passion to heart. This hasn't been built in a vacuum. Far from it. I have had people looking it over for some time, however, seeing it in person is different than on a youtube video so many of you have different suggestions than I have heard so far.

Here is what I have done in the last few days, based on some of the comments here:

Reduced the length of time for the putt out hole award animation chooser by about half. Player can still skip it by hitting flipper buttons.

Greatly increased the font size of the "player # xx up" indicator that plays for the first few seconds of each ball on a multi-player game.

Made it so that the player's score who is up to play blinks.

Doubled the size of the score fonts at the bottom of the screen. Also, made allowances for extremely large scores, where the font size will shrink to fit the box if a score is > 100,000,000. Or shrink even more if > 1,000,000,000 like when Bowen is playing.

Added in some golf terminology to the putt out score awards as follows:
5 under par -> double condor
4 under par -> condor
3 under par -> albatross
2 under par -> eagle
1 under par -> birdie
par
1 over par -> bogey
2 over par -> double bogey
3 over par -> triple bogey
4 or more over par -> infinity bogey

Changed size of nap time title and score fonts to be larger. Now they are more in line with the font sizes of all other modes.

Added a difficulty setting check to all modes to set the ball save time. Previously "base game" ball save was set in the menu, however, "mini mode" ball save was set to 45 seconds for all mini modes and 100 or 120 seconds for sorcerer or 19th hole wizard modes respectively. Ball save during base game is still set by "ball save time" in the menu, however, ball save time for mini and wizard modes is dependent on difficulty setting as follows:

all mini modes
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 45
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 45
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 30
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 15
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 8

sorcerer wizard mode
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 100
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 100
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 75
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 60
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 45

19th Hole wizard mode
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 120
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 120
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 95
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 80
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 65

There are more changes yet to make. Not sure if I will get to them before saturday's live stream.

The main thing is I wanted to feed back to this thread that I am listening. That does not mean, however, that I am going to code in every single person's idea of how the game should play. It is still my creative work. Still, if you have something to make this a better pinball, please share it. In the end, you all will be the ones playing it and I want you to enjoy it.

20200130-screenshot (resized).png20200130-screenshot (resized).png20200130-screenshot 2 (resized).png20200130-screenshot 2 (resized).png
#104 4 years ago

okay, hopefully my last post for today. I have a bunch of fam stuff I need to take care of.

I spoke with Rick from Planetary Pinball today and we are working through some of the details of an arrangement. I am not going to detail exactly what that is at this time. He needs to speak to his lawyers and I need to do somethings on my end, but I am optimistic we can come to some sort of agreement.

During our conversation, he wanted me to stress to you all the need to respect the Williams Intellectual Property and Trademarks so that people don't think that I am somehow stealing Williams IP and nothing is done about it. The fact is that we are attempting to come together on this and if other developers are out there who want to do something similar, I can recommend they do the same.

By the way, this is a good place to reiterate the following statement from the manual:
NGG2.0 is written 100% from scratch and not one line of existing code from the original game is in my code. No intellectual property of Planetary Pinball or Williams is involved here. I not only wrote the new code but also replaced all of the sounds and animations with new custom work that I either did myself or hired professionals to create.

#105 4 years ago

If you're looking to Stern for ideas of how to do screens, don't. They're generally pretty bad at it.

For example, how they have all the scores on the screen at the same time and only marginally make the current player's larger. It is unreadable at any sort of distance.

I did a quick edit on one of your screens to show what I'm talking about.

Make it biggerMake it bigger

You need to FILL the screen. It needs to be readable from 10 feet away. High contrast. Make each part bright and distinctive. I'd recommend a bolder, sans-serif font. I used Impact but Dialed In uses Gotham I think. If you're filling in letters as an achievement progress, make it obvious and make each group a different colour.

Here's an example of an excellent user interface. Mobile games are the perfect place to steal ideas from because they spend millions on making the experience on a tiny screen as compelling as possible.

peggle-2-achievements-guide (resized).jpgpeggle-2-achievements-guide (resized).jpg

Notice the high contrast colouring? Fonts are outlined. Achievement ladders are obvious and high contrast. Backgrounds are lower impact - anything foreground is outlined, versus backgrounds which are not.

Don't be afraid to straight up steal the details from them. They know what they're doing!

#106 4 years ago

If you work something out with Rick that would be a HUGE win In my opinion. Fingers crossed ... and glad you are taking the feedback in stride !

#107 4 years ago

Really nice to see that you addressed the multi-ball ball savers. It seems that Easiest and Easy is no real difference, I would suggest the following changes for those competition players...

if difficulty = 'Easiest' ballSaveTime = 25 - Easiest
if difficulty = 'Easy' ballSaveTime = 20 - Easy
if difficulty = 'Medium' ballSaveTime = 15 - Medium
if difficulty = 'Hard ballSaveTime = 10 - Hard
if difficulty = 'Hardest' ballSaveTime = 5 - Hardest
sorcerer wizard mode

if difficulty = 'Easiest' ballSaveTime = 100 - Easiest
if difficulty = 'Easy' ballSaveTime = 80 - Easy
if difficulty = 'Medium' ballSaveTime = 60 - Medium
if difficulty = 'Hard' ballSaveTime = 40 - Hard
if difficulty = 'Hardest' ballSaveTime = 20 - Hardest
19th Hole wizard mode
if difficulty = 'Easiest' ballSaveTime = 125 - Easiest
if difficulty = 'Easy' ballSaveTime = 100 - Easy
if difficulty = 'Medium' ballSaveTime = 75 - Medium
if difficulty = 'Hard' ballSaveTime = 50 - Hard
if difficulty = 'Hardest' ballSaveTime = 25 - Hardest

I know on all Stern games I always turn them down to the lowest timer settings for multiballs, believe it or not the best of players even on super hard settings and game setup can still get to these wizard modes and drag out a tournament with extra long ball saves. Every little bit helps for a tournament director.

Quoted from jamescardona:

There have been a lot of comments on my code in this thread and I have taken your passion to heart. This hasn't been built in a vacuum. Far from it. I have had people looking it over for some time, however, seeing it in person is different than on a youtube video so many of you have different suggestions than I have heard so far.
Here is what I have done in the last few days, based on some of the comments here:
Reduced the length of time for the putt out hole award animation chooser by about half. Player can still skip it by hitting flipper buttons.
Greatly increased the font size of the "player # xx up" indicator that plays for the first few seconds of each ball on a multi-player game.
Made it so that the player's score who is up to play blinks.
Doubled the size of the score fonts at the bottom of the screen. Also, made allowances for extremely large scores, where the font size will shrink to fit the box if a score is > 100,000,000. Or shrink even more if > 1,000,000,000 like when Bowen is playing.
Added in some golf terminology to the putt out score awards as follows:
5 under par -> double condor
4 under par -> condor
3 under par -> albatross
2 under par -> eagle
1 under par -> birdie
par
1 over par -> bogey
2 over par -> double bogey
3 over par -> triple bogey
4 or more over par -> infinity bogey
Changed size of nap time title and score fonts to be larger. Now they are more in line with the font sizes of all other modes.
Added a difficulty setting check to all modes to set the ball save time. Previously "base game" ball save was set in the menu, however, "mini mode" ball save was set to 45 seconds for all mini modes and 100 or 120 seconds for sorcerer or 19th hole wizard modes respectively. Ball save during base game is still set by "ball save time" in the menu, however, ball save time for mini and wizard modes is dependent on difficulty setting as follows:
all mini modes
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 45
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 45
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 30
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 15
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 8
sorcerer wizard mode
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 100
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 100
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 75
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 60
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 45
19th Hole wizard mode
if difficulty = 'EASIEST' ballSaveTime = 120
if difficulty = 'EASY' ballSaveTime = 120
if difficulty = 'MEDIUM' ballSaveTime = 95
if difficulty = 'HARD' ballSaveTime = 80
if difficulty = 'HARDEST' ballSaveTime = 65
There are more changes yet to make. Not sure if I will get to them before saturday's live stream.
The main thing is I wanted to feed back to this thread that I am listening. That does not mean, however, that I am going to code in every single person's idea of how the game should play. It is still my creative work. Still, if you have something to make this a better pinball, please share it. In the end, you all will be the ones playing it and I want you to enjoy it.[quoted image][quoted image]

#108 4 years ago

okay, hopefully my last post for today. I have a bunch of fam stuff I need to take care of.
I spoke with Rick from Planetary Pinball today and we are working through some of the details of an arrangement. I am not going to detail exactly what that is at this time. He needs to speak to his lawyers and I need to do somethings on my end, but I am optimistic we can come to some sort of agreement.
During our conversation, he wanted me to stress to you all the need to respect the Williams Intellectual Property and Trademarks so that people don't think that I am somehow stealing Williams IP and nothing is done about it. The fact is that we are attempting to come together on this and if other developers are out there who want to do something similar, I can recommend they do the same.
By the way, this is a good place to reiterate the following statement from the manual:
NGG2.0 is written 100% from scratch and not one line of existing code from the original game is in my code. No intellectual property of Planetary Pinball or Williams is involved here. I not only wrote the new code but also replaced all of the sounds and animations with new custom work that I either did myself or hired professionals to create.

So is this agreement to prevent Rick from threatening to sue you for releasing your original work or is it somehow an arrangement where you can use some of the original sounds, gfx, etc? I assume it's the former since you had to reiterate the fact that it's all your own work.

#109 4 years ago

James- thank you so much. This is my alltime favorite game, I proudly own one, and I cant wait to one day buy your code and put it in my machine.

I like your creative impulses and decisions. It is definitely one of those 90s machines that had the design, the shots, the theme, the art, callouts, etc, but not the code. Which is ok, because those days commercial markets, not individual
collectors, were the focus, and that honestly makes 90s games more special.

Only positive things can come from your project. Even a naysayer cannot deny that you are adding to this game. Do not be deterred by an uninformed and unintelligent opinion. Pinball snobs are all over the place, and claim to be some kind of authority on pinball,
which is impossible because pinball is supposed to be fun and not contrived or scripted. My only constructive criticism isnt with the code (which i think is great). Your video shows that the flippers are angled too sharply. This game especially demands the correct angle so that the hole in one is accessible with a strait shot and not just off the golfcart wheel. Even still that is an unrelated cosmetic issue and your efforts are very well appreciated.

Your project is laudable and is exactly what pinball needs. The old classics given a brand new experience. I think this code and others like it will age very well. You have really gone above and beyond in this effort and I predict that the final product will be amazing! Thank you.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you're looking to Stern for ideas of how to do screens, don't. They're generally pretty bad at it.
For example, how they have all the scores on the screen at the same time and only marginally make the current player's larger. It is unreadable at any sort of distance.
I did a quick edit on one of your screens to show what I'm talking about.
[quoted image]
You need to FILL the screen. It needs to be readable from 10 feet away. High contrast. Make each part bright and distinctive. I'd recommend a bolder, sans-serif font. I used Impact but Dialed In uses Gotham I think. If you're filling in letters as an achievement progress, make it obvious and make each group a different colour.
Here's an example of an excellent user interface. Mobile games are the perfect place to steal ideas from because they spend millions on making the experience on a tiny screen as compelling as possible.
[quoted image]
Notice the high contrast colouring? Fonts are outlined. Achievement ladders are obvious and high contrast. Backgrounds are lower impact - anything foreground is outlined, versus backgrounds which are not.
Don't be afraid to straight up steal the details from them. They know what they're doing!

This is great advice and will really add to the game and give it that extra wow factor people are asking for, I build slots for a living and these are the basic rules we follow as well, look at any arcade game with a screen / slots / mobile games etc... they all follow the same rules mentioned above. I don’t think your far off I love the background scene and even that funny little 3D character, audio is quite nice as well, just needs some cosmetic tweaks

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Thanks rosh! We you be attending Pinfest this year? There is a good chance this game might make an appearance at that show.

Have not made that show yet, maybe this year I'll get there.

#112 4 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments, Josh. By the way, for all of you who are following along, there is a reason his name is listed in the credits of my game: he is one of the great, selfless individuals who have offered me help and advice in developing this kit and it has been truly appreciated.

I have a quite a few folks thank me for help on their games. Not sure what I might have done to help, but if anything I shared or developed in the past or guidance I gave was a help, I am happy it was of value. The custom game segment of the community has had a noteworthy impact on the industry, both in generating new ideas and innovation, as well as feeding new talent (Elwin, Danesi, Priepke, Lipham, me) and obviously Gerry Stellenberg's P-roc was a major enabler of all of this. Every couple of days I hear of a new custom project being started. While many quickly end, due to to the huge effort it ultimately takes, we continue to see these games get to an impressive levels and certainly have become a highlight at many shows.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I had it in originally, but I was worried about how pinmame handles the pulsed coils (in-lane posts and drop targets) because it just has one setting for all of them, and I didn't want to have it end up hurting anyones hardware.

oh i was unaware that you removed it. in the case of ccc it really doesnt matter as the original game is there an expanded upon. i suppose bop2.0 would be a better example in this case. completely different code yet they allow you to run the original. it is not like swapping out the kit will be fast, it would be nice to see the ability to play the original game.

#114 4 years ago

Final reminder to tune into Delaware Pinball on Twitch tonight at 6pm for the NGG 2.0 live stream.

https://m.twitch.tv/delawarepinball/profile

#115 4 years ago

WOW this is amazing, I can't even imagine the amount of hours that went into this. WELL DONE!

I have a NGG and will be watching this carefully, I will admit I tend to keep my games pretty original/oem but this may change my mind...

Chris

#116 4 years ago

got everything packed up. excited for the live stream. I've been changing fonts and minor look-and-feel tweaks the last few days, but won't have all the updates in for the live stream that I wanted to make. Should have all of it done in a few days, though.

For now, I've made all the fonts much bigger and combined/eliminated a few of the information lines such that the notifications will overtake the bottom stroke line for a few seconds when they pop up. i think it looks better. Not sure if I'm sticking with the current color scheme. Looking forward to the feedback from tonight.

20200201a (resized).png20200201a (resized).png
#117 4 years ago

As to some of the other comments over the last few days, I have done some research and have a question for the potential buyers.

Some people have said that they wanted something like BOP2.0 which has a dual boot feature. I checked that out and observed that BOP2.0 was a 2000$ kit. It doesn't appear that they sold that many. Maybe 100?

If I put in all the work and purchase the licenses from PPS to make NGG2.0 a dual booting game, it is obviously going to raise the price of the kit substantially. A few were already balking at the price I am asking (that's another subject), so the question is this: how many additional people would actually buy it with those considerations?

#118 4 years ago

got everything packed up. excited for the live stream. I've been changing fonts and minor look-and-feel tweaks the last few days, but won't have all the updates in for the live stream that I wanted to make. Should have all of it done in a few days, though.
For now, I've made all the fonts much bigger and combined/eliminated a few of the information lines such that the notifications will overtake the bottom stroke line for a few seconds when they pop up. i think it looks better. Not sure if I'm sticking with the current color scheme. Looking forward to the feedback from tonight.[quoted image]

SO much better!

#119 4 years ago

As to some of the other comments over the last few days, I have done some research and have a question for the potential buyers.
Some people have said that they wanted something like BOP2.0 which has a dual boot feature. I checked that out and observed that BOP2.0 was a 2000$ kit. It doesn't appear that they sold that many. Maybe 100?
If I put in all the work and purchase the licenses from PPS to make NGG2.0 a dual booting game, it is obviously going to raise the price of the kit substantially. A few were already balking at the price I am asking (that's another subject), so the question is this: how many additional people would actually buy it with those considerations?

Aren't you going to have to pay Rick anyway? Would he want more money somehow if it offered a choice at startup?

If he's making you pay just to sell your original kit then why would "dual boot" change anything? After all it's always dual boot if the customer puts in all the effort to switch it back and forth.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Aren't you going to have to pay Rick anyway? Would he want more money somehow if it offered a choice at startup?
If he's making you pay just to sell your original kit then why would "dual boot" change anything? After all it's always dual boot if the customer puts in all the effort to switch it back and forth.

He doesn’t have to pay anything to sell the regular kit. It’s 100% original.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

He doesn’t have to pay anything to sell the regular kit. It’s 100% original.

Then why has he been negotiating with Rick? I asked earlier if this would give access to the original assets but was never answered.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Then why has he been negotiating with Rick? I asked earlier if this would give access to the original assets but was never answered.

I see he did mention he didn't want/couldn't talk about it so that's fine. Missed that earlier. So that's fine and I'll quit asking about it.

#123 4 years ago

He is now in talks with Rick about bringing the option of both games to the kit. Like BOP did. The current kit is for sale and doesn’t require Rick’s intervention.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

He is now in talks with Rick about bringing the option of both games to the kit. Like BOP did. The current kit is for sale and doesn’t require Rick’s intervention.

Great. He had earlier mentioned Rick but nothing about "dual boot" then so I wasn't sure that was the only connection.

#125 4 years ago

No Good Gophers 2.0 is going live in just a couple of minutes!!

#126 4 years ago

I' m watching the stream but sadly like most pin videos I just hear guys chatting and not the sounds and call outs. Hard to get a feel for the game when you just hear people talking. Oh well.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I' m watching the stream but sadly like....

Yup that's a standard problem

#128 4 years ago

OK here is a recap of our stream last night. First and foremost, the full Twitch stream will be available for the next 13 days, please watch and enjoy.

https://www.twitch.tv/delawarepinball

DISCLAIMER - I have no relationship with James Cardona or this project. James is a NJ a guy who just happens to have played in a couple of Delaware tournaments that I run and he reached out to First State Flippers to see if we would put his game to the test, which we did. My review is based solely on my opinion.

Now for the game play. It took several games for everyone to stop "shooting" at shots for the old code. Once we adjusted our shots and slowly started to understand the new code and how it works, the game play was a pleasure to shoot and quite refreshing. The new code really utilizes the entire play field for you to work towards modes and multiballs. I really enjoy the golfing aspect he has integrated into the game, it just makes sense. Starting and completing modes will get you big points, otherwise you will be grinding your way towards higher scores without starting modes.

He has wrote in 5 different multiballs, and one of them is a 6 ball multiball. All of these multiballs were awesome to play. The highlights for sure are Thunderstorm and Gopher Hunt. You can't see it in the stream with our accent lights, but when you start those 2 MB's, the entire playfield goes dark. The Thunderstorm mode has "lightning" strikes that go off which trigger certain flashers and lights for some cool effects.

The short circuit mode was pretty wild as well, this mode reverses the flippers and was well thought out.

Here are some of my critiques and wish list changes.

*While he does have 12 different music beds in the game, the main bed of music did come repetitive, however we did play the game for 7 hours straight
*I agree with others about the bear. His facials can be improved upon
*Still needs some polish on the graphics and animations

Other than that there wasn't really anything glaring from my perspective with this brand new code.

Jim - Thanks for creating this. I do hope people reach out to you to pick up this kit and experience this all new game play and I do believe they will be pleased. Good job and good luck in the future!

-Chad

#129 4 years ago

I am more likely to be in if I can play the original since you asked .. hopefully the increase won’t be too much . Yes it’s expensive but what isn’t in this hobby .

I still think there should be a Bud that looks like Bud even if it’s the Bear just imagining what he looks like. Maybe he sees his reflection in the hazard just to turn into the on the PF and back box .

#130 4 years ago

First, a big thanks to everyone that warched and supported the stream. If you didn't get a chance to watch it live and don't want to watch the archive, we will be streaming this several more times. Jim took lots of notes and will continue to update this code. The plan is to stream this for every code update so you can see what progress has been done. Jim has really put alot of work into this and I think he has a winner on his hands. He has made a really good game play entirely different from what it was in a good way. That is really hard to do. I agree with others that if the original code could be there as an option, this would just add value to the package.

Great job Jim, keep those updates coming!

Stay Tuned everybody - It's just going to get better and better

Mike V.
Delaware Pinball

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

*I agree with others about the bear. His facials can be improved upon

I realize It's a lot of work and I'm totally gonna stay out of all of this...

Except for this. That "bear" has the body and movement of a cartoon hippo, the ears and snout of a dog, and the face of a rat.

He's been haunting my dreams all weekend. I was thinking of buying a kit but all that money is likely going to have to pay for therapy.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Except for this. That "bear" has the body and movement of a cartoon hippo, the ears and snout of a dog, and the face of a rat.
He's been haunting my dreams all weekend. I was thinking of buying a kit but all that money is likely going to have to pay for therapy.

Regardless, he captured your attention! He got you intrigued. I think we might bring this to the NYCPC!!!

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Regardless, he captured your attention! He got you intrigued. I think we might bring this to the NYCPC!!!

We are actually planning on doing the 2.0 music live with an all star
Jam featuring kazoos.

If you want to bring it for free play bank we’ll be happy to have it!

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That thing is a bear? Seriously I thought it was some kind of nuclear possum breed.

#135 4 years ago

Played mine today .. gofers is a great game as it sits I think being able to swap back will sell a ton more I can’t not have classic gofers .

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Played mine today .. gofers is a great game as it sits I think being able to swap back will sell a ton more I can’t not have classic gofers .

It’s a little one dimensional. Shoot for MB all day. This new code really makes you shoot all the around the PF, and with 10-12 modes plus 5 MB’s, it really breathes new life into the game. Come to Pinfest and try it!

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

It’s a little one dimensional. Shoot for MB all day. This new code really makes you shoot all the around the PF, and with 10-12 modes plus 5 MB’s, it really breathes new life into the game. Come to Pinfest and try it!

I agree .. well you can also play all the modes and go for the wizard mode which is a blast . I love the sounds and music myself . It’s 90s pinball at it best, new game looks fun too but gotta have the original too IMO . I mean the gofers are all over the playfield

#138 4 years ago

I’m a little confused why PPS needs to be involved in having it switch back to the original, ppl already own the machine all your doing it enabling what people already own? Only situation is if the rom was to be upgraded or changed in any way. But just a switch should be fine? Just like those Jamma switches people use in arcade machines to switch between games and hardware.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I’m a little confused why PPS needs to be involved in having it switch back to the original, ppl already own the machine all your doing it enabling what people already own? Only situation is if the rom was to be upgraded or changed in any way. But just a switch should be fine? Just like those Jamma switches people use in arcade machines to switch between games and hardware.

PPS is not needed if you want to switch back to the original game “Jamma” style. It would just require 15 minutes of disconnecting everything and reinstalling the original hardware.

What people are requesting is for the game to boot directly to the old code, that requires intervention from PPS.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

PPS is not needed if you want to switch back to the original game “Jamma” style. It would just require 15 minutes of disconnecting everything and reinstalling the original hardware.
What people are requesting is for the game to boot directly to the old code, that requires intervention from PPS.

But why? what's the different between swapping hardware / emulating the game in a rom?

#141 4 years ago

You could just MAME it. That means distribute it WITHOUT the ROMs and make the buyer source them.

PPS not needed.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You could just MAME it. That means distribute it WITHOUT the ROMs and make the buyer source them.
PPS not needed.

Indeed, i suggest this above early on in the thread.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Indeed, i suggest this above early on in the thread.

Not sure exactly. I’m just an outsider doing beta testing. jamescardona will have to chime in.

#144 4 years ago

I’m likely very interested but only if there is a way to select original or new game without replacing hardware. I would also like to see the gophers look like Bud/Buzz and see some of the original music used in 2.0.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m likely very interested but only if there is a way to select original or new game without replacing hardware. I would also like to see the gophers look like Bud/Buzz and see some of the original music used in 2.0.

there is no way currently to switch.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

there is no way currently to switch.

Hence my words “but only if there is a way”.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Hence my words “but only if there is a way”.

Oh I took that as asking a question. My bad.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have a quite a few folks thank me for help on their games. Not sure what I might have done to help, but if anything I shared or developed in the past or guidance I gave was a help, I am happy it was of value. The custom game segment of the community has had a noteworthy impact on the industry, both in generating new ideas and innovation, as well as feeding new talent (Elwin, Danesi, Priepke, Lipham, me) and obviously Gerry Stellenberg's P-roc was a major enabler of all of this. Every couple of days I hear of a new custom project being started. While many quickly end, due to to the huge effort it ultimately takes, we continue to see these games get to an impressive levels and certainly have become a highlight at many shows.

Yes, yes, yes.

Sorry, I didn't want to make it sound as if you were assisting me in the creation of this. To be clear, all of the NGG2.0 code is my own.

One of the wonderful things about the pinball development community is that it is so small that many of the folks writing code for machines, designing playfields, and doing pinball art all know each other or at least know of each other. With such a small community, many help each other out with answering questions and the like. I wrote NGG2.0 and the credit or blame should be directed at me. Still, I listed a "thank you" page on the attract mode of NGG2.0 and Rosh is there along with a bunch of other names. These are all people who answered questions or gave me pointers when I was learning and developing and I wanted to acknowledge that.

Would I have figured it out on my own? Sure. I have a CS degree. But they saved me a lot of time. Eric, for sure. Gerry and Michael O, obviously. I tried to capture everyone who gave me assistance, but I probably missed a few.

credits (resized).pngcredits (resized).png
#149 4 years ago

Yes, yes, yes.
Sorry, I didn't want to make it sound as if you were assisting me in the creation of this. To be clear, all of the NGG2.0 code is my own.
One of the wonderful things about the pinball development community is that it is so small that many of the folks writing code for machines, designing playfields, and doing pinball art all know each other or at least know of each other. With such a small community, many help each other out with answering questions and the like. I wrote NGG2.0 and the credit or blame should be directed at me. Still, I listed a "thank you" page on the attract mode of NGG2.0 and Rosh is there along with a bunch of other names. These are all people who answered questions or gave me pointers when I was learning and developing and I wanted to acknowledge that.
Would I have figured it out on my own? Sure. I have a CS degree. But they saved me a lot of time. Eric, for sure. Gerry and Michael O, obviously. I tried to capture everyone who gave me assistance, but I probably missed a few.[quoted image]

Thanks for the shout out

I totally don't work for Suncoast though, my company is 86pixels and we're a design/engineering house that helps many companies.

Looking forward to updates!
Jimmy

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Thanks for the shout out
I totally don't work for Suncoast though, my company is 86pixels and we're a design/engineering house that helps many companies.
Looking forward to updates!
Jimmy

I'll update the screen

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 337 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg20-new-code-for-your-no-good-gofers-2020/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.