• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by sleepygtr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey All -
Restoring a No Good Gofers pin and having resets with interesting symptoms. I am fairly good with troubleshooting WPC games, but this is my first WPC-95 and would appreciate some help of where to start checking based on these symptoms:
1) As per typical, resets occur when both flippers are depressed or in multi-ball
2) Sometimes the game completely resets and sometimes I only lose the sound temporarily (like the sound board is resetting but not the game?).
3) Resets only happens when game is first turned on - seems to stop once game warms up (Connector? Thermistor?)
I thought WPC-95's were better about resets but I reckon I was wrong...
Thanks for any help you can provide!!

#2 6 years ago

I had the same issue with my NGG, replaced the thermistor and that took care of my reset issues

#4 6 years ago

I replaced the Thermistor – no help… I then pulled the driver board to check out the pins/connectors and the board sadly is hacked up pretty bad. Its got 2 traces soldered on and a dark brown spot where it looks like some of those fat resistors fried and were replaced. Solder joints were really sloppy where they worked on it but looked solid and not broken. I cleaned them up...

1-As per typical, game resets when both flippers are depressed or in multi-ball – but no resets happen after game runs for about 5 minutes.
2-Game completely resets or only the A/V board resets – Seems that game resets during the first 1-2 minutes then only the A/V next, then stops resetting entirely after on for about 5-7 minutes

#5 6 years ago

I would think you were right to try replacing the thermistor, but if it didn't help, then there must be something else... I'm not much help, but hopefully someone can be!

#6 6 years ago

I had the resets just like you mentioned only mine were after the game ran for a little while. Became more frequent, got worse, and it finally all together crapped out on me yesterday. There is another thread where rkahr is selling a board to help with this. Upon looking at my boards, it appears this "fix" was put on my game from whom I purchased it from. This may be a solution for you, or not. It worked on mine for a while but isn't a long term solution by the looks of it. Good luck getting a great game working 100% again.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-new-product-to-help-resolve-resets-in-wpc-era-games/page/6#s

#7 6 years ago

Pretty much all resets are a function of the bridge rectifiers and filter caps. Late model WPC changed the rectifiers for large diodes (4 each) to save on cost. Those are the fat resistors you are looking at. Replace those or if you can't solder then use the drop in board. I like to fix the original board though

#8 6 years ago

Is it plugged directly into the outlet? I had issues with reset on my NGG and realized it was because I was using extension cord.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks Everyone - I just broke down and sent the boards (AV,Driver and MPU) to Clive at Coin Op Cauldron... It will take a while but his work is worth the wait. I am sure it's the driver board - lots of obvious hack work had been done on it and whenever you see traces with fat solder on them you generally have trouble....I can solder pins and can read a MM but I cant read a schematic.... Also, Yes, I did test my voltage from the outlet - good there too. Time for a professional

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside