• Latest reply 60 days ago by GoldenBear
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5027 (resized).jpeg

#1 82 days ago

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a problem with my NGG for a couple of weeks and have been entirely unsuccessful.

As far as I can tell, I randomly get activation of the right popper with the associated right white upper flasher and the thumping noise that generally precedes a ball popping out to the right flipper.

In diagnostic mode, the opto did not appear flaky, but nonetheless, I replaced it. I also swapped in a different Opto board and the issue continued. I also swapped in a new CPU board from rotten dog, using my same chips, and it also followed.
In diagnostic mode, I activated every switch and did not get any aberrant behavior for the right popper Opto. I also replaced diode‘s on everything in the switch column and row just to be careful, and I activated every switch and got no suggestion of a short.

Oh, I also shook the cabinet as hard as I could while in switch mode and have not seen any flaky Opto’s.

When playing, I cannot figure out a pattern for why it activates.

I have not rebuilt the connectors, but none of them (both the under play field connector and the back box connectors) look damaged or affected in any way.

Does anybody have any suggestions here. I am getting stumped on this one.

#2 82 days ago

I added a short video of behavior.

#3 82 days ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Does anybody have any suggestions here. I am getting stumped on this one.

Replace any switches lately ? I ask because this sounds like a switch matrix issue. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards. Type stuff. Since you replaced other suspects.

LTG : )

#4 82 days ago

Yes check all switches seems like one are too close and when playing will go off maybe just a thought

#5 82 days ago

All of this occurred before I started checking switches for the cause and before I started swapping out diodes. I was very careful to install diodes in correct orientation as I had a problem like this in past because of a diode placed in the opposite direction. I’ll keep looking but starting to feel hopeless. It would seem that if I have a short to a switch, during single switch testing I should be able to activate the right popper opto when I activate the faulty switch which hasn’t happened

#6 81 days ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

It would seem that if I have a short to a switch,

Or a switch shorted internally.

LTG : )

#7 81 days ago

found a broken right slingshot switch today so will replace that with the diode, it was easy to miss because when I pressed on the slingshot rubber it registered because the other switch was working. It did not activate my opto unfortunately but will keep picking at anything that I can find until I get it straightened out. I probably have about 20 or 30 switches at home but not the one I needed, So now have to wait for the part to arrive. I wish we had a local pinball parts store.

#8 81 days ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

found a broken right slingshot switch today so will replace that with the diode, it was easy to miss because when I pressed on the slingshot rubber it registered because the other switch was working. It did not activate my opto unfortunately but will keep picking at anything that I can find until I get it straightened out. I probably have about 20 or 30 switches at home but not the one I needed, So now have to wait for the part to arrive. I wish we had a local pinball parts store.

Nice bud keep up the good finds sometimes it only takes one too mess things up ,there's a lot too go though keep us updated

#9 81 days ago

This may not help but I'll try to remember best I can. It may not be the same issue. I had a NGG once that had some issue with one of the bottom pops where it fired erratically.

There was a wiring error that looked to be from the factory. It may have been the pop bumper lamp and switch shorting but it was too long ago to remember exactly.

Look at all the wiring on the bottom of the playfield near the pop bumpers. I think it was near the stapled wires.

#10 79 days ago

If you haven't found your issue yet I may have something for you. I have a MM that has the same issue but with the left popper (Castle Vuk) Same thing, random firing. This has been an intermittent issue on this game for a long time. It started out just once in awhile finally evolving into a constant random issue. What I did was put the machine in switch mode. This will activate all the optos. Tilt the pf and just start moving any wire that is connected to the Opto for the popper. I started out with the optos on the popper itself, then the plug for the optos. Finally I got to the Opto Board. I started moving the wires around for the Otto board and I got a hit. My popper is in the same column as the trough optos. When I moved the wires for that respective plug on the opto board, I got change of state for the optos on that column. Bingo! I had to reset the wires on that plug and that did it. Hope this helps.

IMG_5027 (resized).jpeg

#11 79 days ago

Good though5 on wiggling. Thanks. I’ll try that. While I did follow the wires and reseat the connectors since I swapped out the opto board, and I definitely wiggled everything from the optos to the under playfield connector I will make a concerted effort to wiggle the rest which I did not do. Waiting another day to swap out a leaf switch in slingshot too. Switch arrives tomorrow

#12 79 days ago

With all this opto talk I was curious if anyone knows which part of an opto is more likely to fail, the transmitter or receiver?

#13 76 days ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

With all this opto talk I was curious if anyone knows which part of an opto is more likely to fail, the transmitter or receiver?

Transmitter/ White

1 week later
#14 67 days ago

So I have checked every diode, gone into switch edge mode and activated every switch, wiggled every wire on the harness and it never activated the right popper switch, I have swapped every board in the game at one time and problem follows. I even swapped power driver board. The only thing that keeps from happening is if I unplug the plug to the popper opto.

I have measured voltages at connector and it is 11.5 v dc. I did continuity testing on the pins to the connector to check for short

Another pinsider had a problem like this a year ago and I contacted him to see what his solution was. I think maybe next step will be to rebuild connectors

1 week later
#15 60 days ago

I am running out of ideas. I rebuilt every connector that is in circuit with the popper, j206 and j208 j139, the 2 connectors on the opto board leading to the popper, j3 and j4 I believe, and the large power supply connector j5 to the opto board. I didn’t rebuild the under playfield connector but it looks fine

I only have 11.5 volts at the connector so maybe this is the problem. However I would have thought when I swapped power driver board and opto board in past that this would have solved the issue if it was the problem.

I have separated the wires running from the popper to the opto board and cannot see any issues. The only thing that stops the behavior is to unplug connector under playfield to the popper

I have no switch matrix issues and I cannot get the opto to show any flakiness with any amount of playfield movement nor wiggling of any wires or connectors

I even upgraded the epROM to the newest version in case this was some weird ball location algorithm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Port St. Lucie, FL
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg-right-popper-randoly-fires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.