New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 38273)

NGG, Great, but could be so much better...

By dgpinball

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bobbyconover
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ngg-caddyshack.JPG

#1 7 years ago

With a software update!!

This is a great game, but the buggy software really keeps it out of the upper echelon where I really believe it belongs. One of the most pure fun to play games, but when weird things keep happening it can really spoil the experience, it's no wonder you almost never see it in tournaments.

We've had code updates done for TZ, CV and WH20, no game needs one more than NGG.

#2 7 years ago

I know that there are issues with the software, but I've never seen them listed. What are they?

#3 7 years ago

I'd be curious if there is a definitive list as well, I just know that mine does some very strange things that I can't attribute to anything else.

#4 7 years ago

I note two odd things with my NGG = 1 - kickback works sometimes when not lit, 2 - ball award doesn't always match what is on the ball.

#5 7 years ago

When you start multiball if a ball drains right away, its kicked back into play up the jackpot ramp. Instant Jackpot without actually hitting the shot.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

When you start multiball if a ball drains right away, its kicked back into play up the jackpot ramp. Instant Jackpot without actually hitting the shot.

Mine never kicks up that ramp.

#7 7 years ago

Mine neither. Never seen it happen.

#8 7 years ago

I've never noticed the bugs people talk about. I love NGG. Super fun game, simple addicting rules, loads of personality, huge variety of fun music, great sound and light shows. What bugs!?!? Gofers forever.

#9 7 years ago

1.3 roms???? fixes a few bugs. put them in mine a couple months ago

#10 7 years ago

The kickback kicking when not lit is one, random auto launch is another. Tonight I noticed on my third ball that the ballsaver timed out as soon as I plunged the ball.

I was hoping I didn't have the latest version of the code, but I am running 1.3 and the bugs are definitely there

Have to admit, I've never seen the auto launch make the ramp, but I guess depending on how the game is leveled it's definitely possible.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I note two odd things with my NGG = 1 - kickback works sometimes when not lit

It seems like on mine that when the ball exits the pops without hitting any other switches the kickback will fire - lit or not.

I kinda like this as the ball sometimes take a bad bounce out of the inlane when going through the "four post guide" just below the pop area.

#12 7 years ago

Also they should create a mod so that ngg owners will have the boss gofer
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/funstuff.htm
Someone who has the prototype re create this so that the owners can play its one part if the game that pinheads may not get a chance

#13 7 years ago

Here are a bunch of the bugs: https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/3c2261d2f5987fcc?hl=en

And here programmer Louis Koziarz explains that he would love to fix them, but that his hands are tied. He does seem to genuinely want to work on the game, though, and says that "Until the day when the WMS intellectual property falls into friendly hands, there is absolutely nothing I can do." Hasn't that happened now with the Planetary Pinball sale? A pretty interesting and semi-hopeful read, even if it was posted almost 10 years ago: https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/ebfc3e1ed322516e?hl=en

#14 7 years ago

FYI mine never made the ramp on launch or autolaunch until I cleaned and waxed the playfield. Now it makes the autolaunch about 80% of the time, and a normal plunge about 90%.

#15 7 years ago

Wow I'd love to see a video of NGG with the boss gofer

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Tonight I noticed on my third ball that the ballsaver timed out as soon as I plunged the ball.

Never played the game, to my shame, but are you sure that's not just a Lawlor thing? He's not known for timed ball saves.

#17 7 years ago

Their never was a boss gopher. That was a rumor that turned out to be a hoax.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Their never was a boss gopher. That was a rumor that turned out to be a hoax.

Well it would be cool if someone create something that never was

#19 7 years ago

The bugs are minor imho. You could fix them yourself, someone has managed to finish the code for CC so this should be pretty easy by comparison.

#20 7 years ago

Hi all,
I am almost done rewriting the rules for DM and NGG is on my short list of titles I may do next since I already own one (although I also own an RS and considering that also). Whatever game is next, I definitely will be doing video modes and shaker motor support at a minimum along with additional multiballs and wizard modes.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from triumph:

Mine neither. Never seen it happen.

+3

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from skov:

It seems like on mine that when the ball exits the pops without hitting any other switches the kickback will fire - lit or not.

I kinda like this as the ball sometimes take a bad bounce out of the inlane when going through the "four post guide" just below the pop area.

I always felt this was by design of the software, it does not always give you the kickback, maybe designed to help a player not doing so well?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Tonight I noticed on my third ball that the ballsaver timed out as soon as I plunged the ball.

Never played the game, to my shame, but are you sure that's not just a Lawlor thing? He's not known for timed ball saves.

It is very consistent on third ball, I think it is by design as well, like TheLaw points out, P-Law is not really known for ball save timers or gimmes, I think if TAF had ball save timers, the game would be a touch too easy.

Overall I think NGG is a pretty polished rule set, another update would have been nice and may have, as the OP stated, pushed this game into the top 10-20, but I think it is the theme that keeps it down.

Change the theme only slightly to Caddyshack, easy top ten. The voice of Rodney Dangerfield alone would have propelled this game to beyond greatness, imagine Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Ted Knight quotes as well. The quotes from that movie were awesome, Bill Murray chasing the gopher, priceless!

#23 7 years ago

Some of the bugs are annoying. The kick back isn't so bad and I even posted about it a few weeks back wondering if it was just me or not.

FWIW, mine goes up the ramp everytime plunged by hand or auto plunge. I guess level may have something to do with it along with clean and waxed but wonder if anyone with it not going up have ever tried to tweak it?

Would love the bugs to be fixed, but they're not that big of a deal to me. One of these days I want to reach out to Chris Bucci because I know he's had the game for a while and mentions in his video for NGG that it didn't bother him much either.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Change the theme only slightly to Caddyshack, easy top ten. The voice of Rodney Dangerfield alone would have propelled this game to beyond greatness, imagine Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Ted Knight quotes as well. The quotes from that movie were awesome, Bill Murray chasing the gopher, priceless!

I think that the gopher theme is great. Gopher antics and banter makes it timeless, rather than basing on what was already an old, albeit classic, movie. Someone makes a Caddyshack alternate translite tho.

What if they had went the other direction and called it Greg Norman Golf or something? It's a $1k game by Christmas?

ngg-caddyshack.JPG

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

The bugs are minor imho. You could fix them yourself, someone has managed to finish the code for CC so this should be pretty easy by comparison.

The bugs are minor, true. But that doesn't mean any of us can fix them ourselves. Can *you* do it? If the answer to that is "no" then you have your answer. The source code is not available so the first task is to rewrite all the existing software from scratch. That took at least 6 months of you ask the cactus canyon project. NGG seems more complex than cactus canyon so it would probably take longer.

Personally, these bugs are so minor I don't even think they warrant a thread.

As for those that think they can plunge a jackpot, have you ever gotten points for it or seen the jackpot callouts? I use to try to exploit the ball saver to get these but noticed the game seemed smart enough to not count them.

#27 7 years ago

I would actually consider this game if that was the real translite. Who sells it?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As for those that think they can plunge a jackpot, have you ever gotten points for it or seen the jackpot callouts? I use to try to exploit the ball saver to get these but noticed the game seemed smart enough to not count them.

Good point Mark. I know my game "sees" that a ball was saved and doesn't award the jackpot from the auto plunge. Not sure how long it ignores it though as I don't get the jackpot often anyway, but it definately ignores it for some period of time.

#30 7 years ago

That translite makes me want to own gofers again

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I think that the gopher theme is great. Gopher antics and banter makes it timeless, rather than basing on what was already an old, albeit classic, movie.

I agree, I personally love the gophers theme, but I have had people tell me they love the theme and others tell me they hated it. Caddyshack may have grabbed more of the people who do not like golf but did love the movie and characters. This may be the only case I can think of where a licensed theme may have actually done better, popularity wise, then a non-licensed theme.

Of course, I am only basing that theory on the fact most everyone in my age group knows of and loved Caddyshack.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The bugs are minor, true. But that doesn't mean any of us can fix them ourselves. Can *you* do it? If the answer to that is "no" then you have your answer. The source code is not available so the first task is to rewrite all the existing software from scratch. That took at least 6 months of you ask the Cactus Canyon project. NGG seems more complex than Cactus Canyon so it would probably take longer.

The problem is the bugs make playing the game in competition unfair, as they don't always happen, which is why it is almost never used in tournaments. One person getting a ball save while the other doesn't in the same circumstances can cause big problems.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

All of my scores just went up by 3.5 million.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

FYI mine never made the ramp on launch or autolaunch until I cleaned and waxed the playfield. Now it makes the autolaunch about 80% of the time, and a normal plunge about 90%.

Mine is clean and waxed and does not make the ramp on autolaunch ever. The solenoid seems strong. I make the ramp on plunge 100% of the time. I never try to make the skillshot, just the ramp and hole in one.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Well the guy who did the code says they're major enough that he'd love to be able to fix them. And the fact that they exist all but guarantees the game is never used in major tournaments, which sucks since it's an otherwise fun and interesting game.

#36 7 years ago

Seems the plunge on NGG is a fine line between making the ramp or not.Speed golf autolaunches the ball up the ramp 95%.The skill shot on mine and TAF are neck and neck for precision.

As for the bugs,they're there but doesn't take anything away from the game for me.

Stumbled upon a Youtube clip last week 'Rodney Dangerfield biography'. Really enjoyed it.Alot of well known comedians putting in there two cents worth. Forgot to mention about Joan Dangerfield in the clip.Very easy on the eye to say the least!!

#37 7 years ago

So.... Has anyone actually reached out to the code writer to let them know that there is now a likely green light for code writing to be improved? Unliscensed theme means the only IP holder should be PPS, correct???

Stop bitching and start emailing and calling! Let the guy know there is a desire. Start up conversations with PPS (I am sure there are folks here that know the correct channels to go through), raise money via kickstarter. Do something!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 7 years ago

Maybe u. Should contact lawlor worth a try

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

So.... Has anyone actually reached out to the code writer to let them know that there is now a likely green light for code writing to be improved? Unliscensed theme means the only IP holder should be PPS, correct???
Stop bitching and start emailing and calling! Let the guy know there is a desire. Start up conversations with PPS (I am sure there are folks here that know the correct channels to go through), raise money via kickstarter. Do something!!!!!!!!!!!

Posting that information here was my attempt at getting the ball rolling on "doing something," since there's at least a decent chance he'll hear about this thread. I'd rather not directly harass the guy!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside