• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

The gophers in my NGG are too sensitive. When they come up for the ball locks they immediately register as "hits" about 90% of the time. I lifted the playfield and looked for switches but it doesn't seem that they operate on switches. So how do I make them harder to register?

I'm not able to figure this one out.

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

The gophers in my NGG are too sensitive. When they come up for the ball locks they immediately register as "hits" about 90% of the time. I lifted the playfield and looked for switches but it doesn't seem that they operate on switches. So how do I make them harder to register?
I'm not able to figure this one out.

You need to check the optos that are under the PF.

#3 11 years ago

I did see those. I'll tighten them up and clean them off. But would they cause the gophers to fall too easily? I was thinking the optos were for knowing when they were up or down and not for sending them up and down.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I did see those. I'll tighten them up and clean them off. But would they cause the gophers to fall too easily? I was thinking the optos were for knowing when they were up or down and not for sending them up and down.

Not the opto's that detect the up and down movement of the gophers. There is a sensor attached under the pf that detects the ball being present right in front of each gopher. The ball doesn't even have to touch the gopher to register a hit.

#5 11 years ago

Wow... where is that? I am going to have to look. Bud seems to be operating better but Buzz is an instant up/down.

#6 11 years ago

Are they popping back down, you may have an issue with the locking mechanism for the gophers . They slam up too hard and then kick back down. If you go into test mode and test the gophers does the same thing happen? Those eddy sensors aren't on in gopher test .

#7 11 years ago

These must be the mystery optos. I am not sure how to clean or adjust them. I touched them and visually inspected that wires are there. This is a sensitivity issue that just started today. So how do I make adjustments here?

I checked the menus and didn't see anything about Gopher sensitivity.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 11 years ago

In seloind test, the left gopher works fine. The right gopher pops up and goes back down. On the second try he always stays up.

Underneath the playfield I see the locking mechanism. It is held with two nuts. One nut on the right gopher was very loose and I went ahead and tightened all four up.

The problem remains unchanged.

Do I need to start bending things? It seems to be all plastic.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Are they popping back down, you may have an issue with the locking mechanism for the gophers . They slam up too hard and then kick back down. If you go into test mode and test the gophers does the same thing happen? Those eddy sensors aren't on in gopher test .

This is exactly the problem. I just can't figure out how to fix it.

#10 11 years ago

The right gopher falls on the first try Everytime and then stays up on the second Everytime. I am so confused.

#11 11 years ago

Do your self a favor and remove the gopher assembly completely from under the machine. It is like 6 screws and 2 connectors. The gophers have a pivot at the top of their heads (a bolt) there is a spring inside the head (wire spring) that pushes the bottom of the head forward (towards you) and helps it latch on the bottom shelf. If that spring is broken or that shelf is worn it can cause your problem. Take the entire thing apart. If you have any mechanical know how it will make sense once you take it apart and look at it.

#12 11 years ago

Thanks. The gopher head screws were on too tight and interfering with the spring. All is well in gopher land again.

Thanks much!

#13 11 years ago

Gophers is a great game I should not have sold mine. I had to tweak my Gophers too.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

These must be the mystery optos. I am not sure how to clean or adjust them.

I called them opto's, but they are actually Eddy sensors.

Sounds to me like your issue is with the locking mech. Question: you talk about their sensitivity, but when the gopher goes down (or up) when the ball isn't around them, do you hear a sound indicating that they are being hit by the ball? If not, it has nothing to do with the Eddy sensors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

4,800 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg-gopher-sensitivity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.