• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0FA0560E-C2CA-4DAC-BE9C-786BA81469B6 (resized).jpeg
NGG Gofer Assy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I bought a NGG from a pinsider, and it certainly wasn't in the condition described. So, I finally got around to trying to get it cleaned and working properly.

After cleaning, replacing rubber rings and re-sleeving the all the coils I started to do diagnostics.

In the coil test, the left gofer goes up when the DMD says down, and goes down when the DMD says it should go up. The right gofer seems to operate correctly per the DMD.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions as to how to start to trouble shoot.

The left gofer has never worked properly, so I don't think I screwed anything up during the cleaning process...but one never knows.

Thanks.

Robert

#2 6 years ago

Page 89 of manual is the schematic. I would make sure your optos and switches are properly working and check both coils for proper wiring. If the gopher simply does not hold in the down position there are a few things that can cause it. If it is sensing in the opposite position i would look at sensors/ switches first.

#4 6 years ago

Opto's and switches check out in test.

The wiring seems correct, but I'll check again.

In the solenoid test, the left gofer operates opposite of what the DMD says.

Thanks.

Robert

#5 6 years ago

OK...one problem solved, and another in work.

The wiring to the release solenoid and the up solenoid were reversed. So Now the left Gofer goes up and down properly. This is probably why the guy sold the game originally.

The right gofer won't go down now, it did yesterday when I started the troubleshooting.

I took the wiring from the left gofer release coil and jumped it to the right release coil and no joy. I then replaced the right release coil and still no joy, with either the left or right release coil wiring attached.

The right gofer coil hums a little (in pulses), but doesn't move. the coil is getting 72 v and that drops a few volts when the coil is pulsed...essentially the same as the left assembly.

By hand the left and right release coil mech's seem to have about the same resistance, and both move fairly easily. The right gofer drops down cleanly by moving the release coil mech manually.

The right gofer does go up properly in test.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert

#6 6 years ago

Well, I've tried a bunch of combinations and it seems that the armature in the right gofer is an issue.

I've never seen that before, but I ordered another one from BAA and will see if that solves the issue with the right gofer release mech not working.

No on to the issue of the lower right flipper not working.

Robert

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

OK...one problem solved, and another in work.
The wiring to the release solenoid and the up solenoid were reversed. So Now the left Gofer goes up and down properly. This is probably why the guy sold the game originally.
The right gofer won't go down now, it did yesterday when I started the troubleshooting.
I took the wiring from the left gofer release coil and jumped it to the right release coil and no joy. I then replaced the right release coil and still no joy, with either the left or right release coil wiring attached.
The right gofer coil hums a little (in pulses), but doesn't move. the coil is getting 72 v and that drops a few volts when the coil is pulsed...essentially the same as the left assembly.
By hand the left and right release coil mech's seem to have about the same resistance, and both move fairly easily. The right gofer drops down cleanly by moving the release coil mech manually.
The right gofer does go up properly in test.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Robert

Does the assembly itself have one of those rubber stoppers on the bottom underneath the metal plunger? If that’s missing, or the bracket is bent at all, the magnetic field isn’t strong enough to move the armature. See if it’s something simple and take a few pictures if you get a minute.

Marc

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Well, I've tried a bunch of combinations and it seems that the armature in the right gofer is an issue.

Go over the sides of the gopher body, anything like a roll pin sticking out causing binding of the mech ?

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Does the assembly itself have one of those rubber stoppers on the bottom underneath the metal plunger?

Marc,

No, its a rod similar to a flipper armature except with a groove for a circlip and a slot for the release mech wire. No rubber thing at the bottom.

There is something odd about that armature, the left armature works in the assembly, but when I put back the odd one, the solenoid won't pull the assembly.

In the repeat mode in the solenoid test, I loosened screws and pushed on the armature with my finger. When the armature got about 90% thru it's intended travel, the magnetic force grabbed it and started to move it.

I repeated this several times and finally decided that the armature is screwy. So I ordered another from BAA and will post the outcome.

Thanks for the input.

Robert

NGG Gofer Assy (resized).jpgNGG Gofer Assy (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go over the sides of the gopher body, anything like a roll pin sticking out causing binding of the mech ?

Lloyd (Geese Launcher Extraordinaire),

I did that and even removed the Gofer from it's armature to remove the friction of the Gofer and the attaching hardware from the system.

The armature (item 4) still would not retract.

Thanks for the idea.

Robert

2 months later
#11 6 years ago

After some finesse with the gofer parts, both gofers work as they are supposed to. Not really sure what was causing the hang-up/friction. These gofer mechs are kind of touchy.

So now everything is working. The only issue is the right popper (gofer) activates intermittently during the game; even when there is no ball in the mechanism.

The opto's work in test, and I have looked at the opto board and didn't see anything in particular wrong ( pin burns, cold solder joints, etc.).

Other than just replacing the opto's, what would be a possible diagnostic step. Any idea as to why the popper would have intermittent activation and test OK?

Robert

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Other than just replacing the opto's, what would be a possible diagnostic step. Any idea as to why the popper would have intermittent activation

Switch matrix error somewhere else ? Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, switch wiring shorted, wires/diode/mashed to switch lugs.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

It pops up and down when ball searching. Also if i recall correctly it can do this when the putt shot hole switch is flakey! I would look at the hole switch and trough switches in test. This is a stretch but just trying to brainstorm ideas. Best of luck

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Also if i recall correctly it can do this when the putt shot hole switch is flakey! I would look at the hole switch and trough switches in test. This is a stretch but just trying to brainstorm ideas. Best of luck

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Robert

1 month later
#15 6 years ago

After cleaning/replacing/re-soldering/testing optos, until I was blue-in-the-face, I finally gave up and replaced the opto board.

Now, the right popper (gofer) has stopped activating intermittently during the game when there is no ball in the mechanism...so all is good.

I can't believe how many hours I spent trying to run this to ground.

Maybe this will help someone else out in the future.

Robert

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Newbie question here... I started to replace my upper playfield on my NGG and ran into this problem on taking the lights off the bottom. They look like rivets? How do I get them off and where do I get new ones. Thanks in advance.

0FA0560E-C2CA-4DAC-BE9C-786BA81469B6 (resized).jpeg0FA0560E-C2CA-4DAC-BE9C-786BA81469B6 (resized).jpeg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from fastchef:

How do I get them off and where do I get new ones.

Carefully drill them. pinrestore.com has rivets and press.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Boards
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg-gofer-issue-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.