smiley-4.gif
IMG_3315.jpg
IMG_3316.jpg
IMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3313.jpg
IMG_3309.jpg
IMG_3306.jpg
IMG_3305.jpg
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 11 years ago

Sold off Hulk at Allentown. Was sad to see it go but sold it to a fellow Pinsider (Pinballerchef) who really wanted it and I can tell it has gone to a good home.

Couldn't find any good project to bring home saturday, but picked up this Xenon Sunday from another pinsider in my area (Xtraball). He just got it off craigslist for 400 in our area, had a tech come out to get it running, He replaced a cap on the power board. Game still had some issues with it not keeping track of the balls, not kicking them out after tube shot, not registering that a ball was in the tube shot kickout, loading 2 balls at once. He didn't want another project and I was looking for one and this seemed to fit the bill nicely.

Just got it unloaded tonight and set it up to start going through it. Really looked over everything as the following pictures will show and then started to troubleshoot the issues before I pull it all apart. Sorted out all the ball issues. Game now runs the way it should. Was also having issues with sounds. I was getting sounds and speech but not background music. Very important part to this game! I have that all sorted out now. Left sling was not working. That is back up and running.

Went for a final test run of everything and I've lost my left flipper. I believe it worked when I picked it up. Never tried it once I set it up tonight until I went for a final quick game. It was getting late so thats a tomorrow project. I will start and see if I have voltage to the coil or not. I know the coil is good. Tested out with a good resistance.

Now for the preliminary pictures/inspection

Start with some boards. All look fine except the MPU. Battery must of corroded right off. Much acid damage. Will need to clean it up and get a remote battery holder hooked up. Somehow it appears the game is keeping high scores and settings tho?

IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPGIMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPGIMG_2150.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Boards.

IMG_2151.JPGIMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPGIMG_2152.JPG IMG_2153.JPGIMG_2153.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Not sure if this red wire is factory IMG_2155.jpgIMG_2155.jpg IMG_2156.jpgIMG_2156.jpg IMG_2158.jpgIMG_2158.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Boards

IMG_2160.jpgIMG_2160.jpg IMG_2161.jpgIMG_2161.jpg IMG_2162.jpgIMG_2162.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Backglass has one piece that is starting to come off. Can't even tell unless you look hard. Will pick up some Krylon triple thick tomorrow and take care of the ASAP.

IMG_2163.jpgIMG_2163.jpg IMG_2164.jpgIMG_2164.jpg IMG_2165.jpgIMG_2165.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Cabinet isn't too bad. Left is pretty good. Right has some good sized dings.

IMG_2166.jpgIMG_2166.jpg IMG_2167.jpgIMG_2167.jpg IMG_2170.jpgIMG_2170.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Inside cab. Found one of the broken tube lamps! How do these always end up broken?

IMG_2196.jpgIMG_2196.jpg IMG_2199.jpgIMG_2199.jpg IMG_2203.jpgIMG_2203.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Good operator use of old rubbers!

Also interesting "fix" on the tilt mechanism?

Should be easy to get this mushroomed shooter rod out right?

IMG_2201.jpgIMG_2201.jpg IMG_2195.jpgIMG_2195.jpg IMG_2198.jpgIMG_2198.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Who needs a fuse? Clips broke? Just bypass it!

IMG_2206.jpgIMG_2206.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Playfield pictures will come tomorrow. It's late. I'm going to bed

#12 11 years ago

Nice pickup.

#13 11 years ago

Oooooo! This is gonna be fun to watch. I'm waiting right here!

#14 11 years ago

wow, that's looking like a real mess!

best of luck with this restore, you have your hands full that's for sure.

#15 11 years ago

Ok on to playfield pictures.

Most of the playfield was covered with Mylar. Whole lower center area inbetween slings. Around the pops, where the saucers kick out, drop targets and the in/out lanes.

Only wear is below flippers. Big missing area. Odd place for it to happen. And the left flipper was starting some flipper drag in the up position. Think it just wore through mylar and nothing else.

Everything is very dirty. Curious to get this mylar off and see what comes up and then cleaned up and see what I am starting with.

IMG_2172.jpgIMG_2172.jpg IMG_2173.jpgIMG_2173.jpg IMG_2174.jpgIMG_2174.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2175.jpgIMG_2175.jpg IMG_2176.jpgIMG_2176.jpg IMG_2177.jpgIMG_2177.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2171.jpgIMG_2171.jpg IMG_2178.jpgIMG_2178.jpg IMG_2179.jpgIMG_2179.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2179.jpgIMG_2179.jpg IMG_2180.jpgIMG_2180.jpg IMG_2181.jpgIMG_2181.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2182.jpgIMG_2182.jpg IMG_2183.jpgIMG_2183.jpg IMG_2185.jpgIMG_2185.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2186.jpgIMG_2186.jpg IMG_2187.jpgIMG_2187.jpg IMG_2189.jpgIMG_2189.jpg

#21 11 years ago

I'm guessing these holes are stripped and the posts got knocked out.

IMG_2192.jpgIMG_2192.jpg IMG_2193.jpgIMG_2193.jpg IMG_2205.jpgIMG_2205.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I'll be checking out this cool thread. Last year I bought a dirty non-working Xenon that had/has issues. I enjoyed cleaning it up and getting it working better. Awesome when you first get to hear the voices and sounds, and get to see the light show. Just picked up a nice Xenon backglass on ebay, so I'm happy bout that. Have fun w/ Xenon!

#23 11 years ago

Those two playfield holes take a post like this one, with a rubber installed. Good luck with the restore. My Xenon has the identical wear between her legs

detail.jpgdetail.jpg

#24 11 years ago

Oy! That's a job!

#25 11 years ago

Figured that was the post thanks.

Why do you think these games wore at that spot? Also the post between the flippers is way off center and very low. What balls are you saving with that? Is it for tube shots that don't make it all the way?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oy! That's a job!

And I love every minute of it. I'm getting much more organized on this one and keep much more track of time.

#27 11 years ago

The wear is there because the post between the flippers is used to "bump" the ball back into play after a left drain. Sounds easier than it is, but it's a cool feature of Xenon. The ball quickly changing direction like that wears the playfield between the flippers especially if the balls weren't new.

#28 11 years ago

Nice score, you're going to make that think look awesome!

I think that us pinsiders might be more excited about your new machine than you are. I'm looking forward to all your updates.

#29 11 years ago

Looks like a fun project! I really enjoy seeing these old Bally's come back to life!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from SunsetPinball:

I think that us pinsiders might be more excited about your new machine than you are. I'm looking forward to all your updates.

Yes! And this is a machine I can get into way more than Hulk. I can keep looking at what you're doing and look at mine...

#31 11 years ago

I've been looking for a project Xenon - congrats!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

The wear is there because the post between the flippers is used to "bump" the ball back into play after a left drain. Sounds easier than it is, but it's a cool feature of Xenon. The ball quickly changing direction like that wears the playfield between the flippers especially if the balls weren't new.

Glad to know that. Now I'm excited to get it back together to try it!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

SunsetPinball said:I think that us pinsiders might be more excited about your new machine than you are. I'm looking forward to all your updates.
Yes! And this is a machine I can get into way more than Hulk. I can keep looking at what you're doing and look at mine...

Maybe when I get bored with this one you can swap it for yours! Your praise for them game definitely pushed me to pick this one up. I'm very excited about it. This game really is a piece of art.

#34 11 years ago

great thread, nice bunch of pictures too! I am clearcoating mine as you are getting ready to tear into yours

that background sound you can turn on or off in the menus

TJ

#35 11 years ago

That XENON definitely looks right up your alley JDS....I'm looking forward to this thread...daily! Sorry those XENON plastics over here weren't NOS new....luckily a new REPRO set isn't bad on the wallet.

I am loving my HULK....you did such an amazing job with the PF....the ball glides on that CC'ed baby and it plays great!! I am infatuated with landing that TOUGH skill (or shill as the people at pinfest read it..haha) shot off the plunge. It's so simple but very rewarding. I had a handful of people at the show congratulate me on my purchase....it felt kind of weird like I had just birthed a child or something?! But they knew it was a beautiful machine....all them did.

You are a very talented....plumber?! Hit the switch....you are deep in pinball land now....time for a serious career change

Now onto MS. XENON.....

#36 11 years ago

I hate to ask this ....but what exactly is Xenon supposed to be about? What's the story?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I hate to ask this ....but what exactly is Xenon supposed to be about? What's the story?

it's about sex with a female from outta space!

ok gimme those tilts!!!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Methos said:I hate to ask this ....but what exactly is Xenon supposed to be about? What's the story?
it's about sex with a female from outta space!
ok gimme those tilts!!!

LOL!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

ok gimme those tilts!!!

Oh...you said TILTS! Phew!

#40 11 years ago

The original light strip along backside of tube on my Xenon looked very similar to yours w/ some bulbs broken off, others not working, etc. I decided to just order a new XENON BLUE LITE STRIP from Pinlogic. Although not an exact match to the original, it is plug & play, works good, and I like the color of the lights. Not sure if he has anymore available.

The tube on your Xenon looks a bit better than mine did. Are you going to just clean yours up, or buy a new one? The tube on my Xenon was cracked at entrance end w/ a piece broken off, and generally quite worn, and not very clear. So for me installing a new tube was the way to go.

I noticed the color on your plastic playfield posts is same/similar to the ones that were on my Xenon, and I'm fairly confident they are originals. I didn't care for the color, so I installed new dark blue ones of same style. I can certainly understand if you stick w/ the original color playfield posts even if you decide to install new ones, ...if you decide to not clean up the existing posts.

Hard to see the condition of the legs on your Xenon. They look a bit rough, but perhaps ok after cleaning them up. After cleaning up the legs on my Xenon and looking at them closer, I ended up ordering a set from Marco that looked like a fairly close match to originals concerning style/finish/color/length. Looks good, but the new manuf'd legs are not quite as wide as originals.
****Leg - 28-1/2" gray Bally, #P-4052-8, New production of the famous Bally "Gun Metal Gray" legs used on most Bally pinball machines until 1988.****
... and I put a new set of 8 leg bolts.

FYI: The wear spot down center drain on my Xenon is very similar to that shown in your pic, but smaller, going from right knee down to the "N" in bonus.
I would say that the designers of Xenon playfield wanted to slow and direct the ball into the center drain, so they installed an off-center metal post noticably below the flippers, and located the metal guide rail behind right side flipper closer toward center than the similar left side guide rail.
That right side guide rail is definitely contributing to why that wear spot runs from the right knee down toward the center drain. That off-center post primary purpose is not to help us save ball from center drains, but that is a 2ndary purpose/benefit imho.

Have fun w/ your Xenon project pin!

#41 11 years ago

Whridls: Curious if you plan to install a new diamond shaped up-arrow SBA Bally sticker on front of coin door after you get a chance to clean it up? I put a new one on my coin door.
And are you planning to leave the SBA $1 coin mechanism installed as is? I think you should.
It makes sense the way yours is. The up-arrow SBA sticker points directly to the center SBA coin mech. On my Xenon (and as shown on Xenon promo flyer), it has 3 coin mech's like yours (2-for quarters, 1-for SBA $1), but the $1 SBA coin mech is on the right side. Whatever.

The playfield plastics and pop bumper caps on my Xenon cleaned up nicely, none broken, etc.
However, at least 3 of mine are warped some. I did not try to heat em up and flatten them.
Are you just plannin to clean up your playfield plastics & bumper caps?

Good luck w/ your project.

#42 11 years ago

Methos:
You can't see from the pics posted thus far, but on lower playfield under each flipper bat, is the word "THRUSTER". So, on Xenon you use your thrusters to shoot the ball back up the playfield.
When you do get a Xenon project pin, and get her working:
When she suggests at some point that you "try a tube shot", I recommend you go for it.
Then she will be satisfied temporarily and she will let you know that.
And of course, just after your last ball drains and game ends, she's gonna say "try me again"!
Does this help clarify things at all for you concerning what the deal is w/ Xenon?

#43 11 years ago

Clear tube. Yes it will be replaced

Tube light strip I will first see if I can rebuild one with LEDs. Either purple or all different colors like a rainbow. If not I will be getting the blue pinlogic one

Plastics I will be replacing. Brand new set with keychain for 99 dollars

Posts I agree and will probably do blue. I will be playing around with them and will be doing lighted LED posts

Bumper caps new as well

New coin door skin and will be keeping the SBA slot and a new sticker

Flippers I will be giving these ones a try

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-2

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Methos:
You can't see from the pics posted thus far, but on lower playfield under each flipper bat, is the word "THRUSTER". So, on Xenon you use your thrusters to shoot the ball back up the playfield.
When you do get a Xenon project pin, and get her working:
When she suggests at some point that you "try a tube shot", I recommend you go for it.
Then she will be satisfied temporarily and she will let you know that.
And of course, just after your last ball drains and game ends, she's gonna say "try me again"!
Does this help clarify things at all for you concerning what the deal is w/ Xenon?

I've only played it a handfull of times - I was wondering if there was a backstory on the theme, some sort of classic 70's X rated version of Star Trek 1 or something....

#45 11 years ago

Regarding the post colors, the originals fade to that light pink color. They were originally blue like found on Embryon, Fathom, Mr. and Mrs Pac, Baby Pac etc. The reproduction version while cast in the correct style do not let light shine through, which IMHO does not do the game justice. Try to find someone parting out an old game and get some unfaded blue posts for the best effect.

#46 11 years ago

Forget that crappy light strip. Don't the new ones come with the LED's already attached and ready to go?

#47 11 years ago

Playfield is out and in the rotisserie.

IMG_2296.JPGIMG_2296.JPG IMG_2298.JPGIMG_2298.JPG

#48 11 years ago

Loved the Hulk Thread, Cant wait to see your progress!

#50 11 years ago

Starting to get the rest of this stripped down tonight. Noticed one of these metal ball lanes is broken. Slightly bent one at the flippers. Anyone make replacements or am I going to have to do some welding?

Will have some more pictures up as the evening goes on.

IMG_2266.jpgIMG_2266.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-to-bring-back-to-life-xenon-by-whridlsoncestood-5712 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.