Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Psw757
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-1 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    black_sabbath___wallpaper_hd_by_aerorock36-d78kfrm (resized).jpg
    motorhead (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    SLR_666Twins_poster_2048x2048 (resized).png
    74a5f0c569b70b1c71f06210220c77ee6ca89de6.jpeg (resized).jpg
    385af4a811dd352d104c92d4b7137a333d2eddef.jpeg (resized).jpg
    Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    NWA_3_embed_(resized).jpg
    a657_(resized).png
    831793fec15face6bb33acc6480cacc5.jpeg
    image-9_(resized).jpg
    11169300_800_(resized).jpg
    tumblr_marqo8Jxng1r37tnpo10_r1_400_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#200 7 years ago

It is a bit of a stretch to say The Ramones heavily influenced and inspired the Pistols. The Pistols morphed from The Strand who were formed by Paul Cook and Steve Jones in 1972. The Pistols were playing gigs in late 1975 and all through 1976. Their legendary Lesser Free Trade Hall gig in Manchester happened in June 1976, a month before the Ramones played London. That gig was attended by one or two who went on to form some bands you might have heard of as a direct result of that gig. The Cure, The Smiths and Joy Division.

I would say that the New York Dolls had more of an influence on the Sex Pistols than the Ramones.

#209 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

thanks for raising the hostility level of the discourse for no good reason.

as i said, the Ramones were not chart toppers and i don't expect Stern to make a Ramones pin. But their influence on rock is completely outsized, especially compared to their record sales.

The Ramones had been around since '74. their first album came out in April '76 and was a huge influence on all of those UK bands -- it's not a stretch because they all said so themselves. Sid Vicious learned to play bass by playing along to Ramones first album. He regularly played Blitzkrieg Bop during soundchecks. In fact, in 1976, the Ramones were much bigger deal in the UK, where they were selling out big venues, than they were in the U.S., where they were only playing for 150 people at a time in NYC. honestly, i wonder if there's a certain amount of revisionism that's gone on in the last couple decades, partly fueled by a sense of nationalism -- Brits seem intent on downplaying how much their scene was inspired by the first Ramones album and those two July gigs, and the tour that came the following year.
    "Even before I joined the Pistols I idolized the Ramones." Sid Vicious - Cream April 1978
    "When their album came out all the English groups tripled speed overnight. Two minute songs very fast."
    Tony James - Punk: The Illustrated History Of A Music Revolution.
    hell, here's Joe Strummer saying the UK scene couldn't have happened without the Ramones:
    » YouTube video

The New York Dolls played sloppy hard rock, like a low rent Rolling Stones. They wore spandex pants and platform boots, and had huge glam rock haircuts. they were an influence on both the Sex Pistols and Ramones, but it is the Ramones' look and sound that affected everything that came after, not the New York Dolls.

Sid Vicious was more of a joke figure than a serious member of the Pistols. Blitzkrieg Bop was probably the only song he could play right. He might well have been influenced by The Ramones but I believe the rest have cited The Stooges as a true influence.
    You seem to have to have missed the part about the Pistols playing their infamous Manchester gig BEFORE The Ramones gigs in '76.

#211 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I heard that after Malcom McClaren saw the Ramones in NY, he went to England and put the Sex Pistols together and the rest,
    as they say is history.

You heard wrong. The precursor band to the Pistols were formed in 1972. Malcolm McLaren's influence on the band has been GREATLY exaggerated.

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

haha, mclaren built the sex pistols like a proto-boy band in order to promote his clothing shop. he was eager to jump on every stupid fad he thought he could make a buck off of, from Teddy Boy to fetish gear. he discovered cook and jones (and matlock), realized they had a modicum of musical talent and a decent ear for a hook, bought them a rehearsal space, then he picked Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious because they had the look he was going for. neither Sid nor Johnny had any prior musical experience. McLaren even named the band the Sex Pistols, to coincide with his clothing shop, which had been renamed "SEX" by that point.
    Vicious only ended up learning how to play the bass by listening to the Ramones after he'd been hired by McLaren to play for the Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten's only talent is being rude and confronting awkwardness head on, which i guess the stilted British society found mind-blowingly shocking at the time. big whoop. at least he tried, i guess. reminds me a bit of the Monkeys in that regard -- a pre-fabricated boy band that eventually morphed into a real one. at least maybe that could have happened, except the Pistols self-destructed on their first U.S. tour. Johnny went on to do PiL but he's been living off his ultimately substanceless "i'm an asshole" shtick ever since.

What a complete load of fucking bollocks. We get it, you like The Ramones but to write that shite about one of the most influential bands ever is just outstanding.
    I'm now going to crack on and make the best of our 'stilted British society'.

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

My vote is for this rock.
    Sedimentary for the win!

Sedimentary ???
    That's crazy talk. Everybody knows it should be igneous.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

Igneous is so yesterday dude.

Metamorphic is what all the hip cats are into these days.

#241 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Any iconic band/artist.
    Doesn't have to be contemporary just iconic.You know like,Elvis.
    Iron Maiden has a shot, but Black Sabbath would be so much smarter.
    I wonder if Sinatra was ever kicked around in a meeting?

Only a madman would have tried kicking Frank Sinatra around !

2 weeks later
    #320 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Sisters of Mercy.

You wouldn't be able to see the ball through all the dry ice.

#321 7 years ago
    Quoted from Elgringo:

Every night before i go to bed i pray that stern will release a ramones pinball machine

Like this one ?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

See here: http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/ramones/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-rock-themed-game?tu=stoptap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.