Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Psw757
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-1 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    black_sabbath___wallpaper_hd_by_aerorock36-d78kfrm (resized).jpg
    motorhead (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    SLR_666Twins_poster_2048x2048 (resized).png
    74a5f0c569b70b1c71f06210220c77ee6ca89de6.jpeg (resized).jpg
    385af4a811dd352d104c92d4b7137a333d2eddef.jpeg (resized).jpg
    Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    NWA_3_embed_(resized).jpg
    a657_(resized).png
    831793fec15face6bb33acc6480cacc5.jpeg
    image-9_(resized).jpg
    11169300_800_(resized).jpg
    tumblr_marqo8Jxng1r37tnpo10_r1_400_(resized).png
    There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 7 years ago

That doesn't look like Aerosmith

#202 7 years ago

If we're betting on influential, how about Chuck Berry? It could even have a Ding-a-ling bash toy. Anyone?

#203 7 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

If we're betting on influential, how about Chuck Berry? It could even have a Ding-a-ling bash toy. Anyone?

Makes a lot more sense than most of the bands listed in this thread. Biggest problem with it is that his hits were 50+ years ago. Not a way to encourage younger people to get into the hobby.

#204 7 years ago

John Truduea and the Stone Daddys

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

You're entitled to be as wrong as you want to be.

thanks for raising the hostility level of the discourse for no good reason.

Either way, if they sold pins proportional to the number of albums they sold, it would be a massive money loser for Stern. Of course, almost all of the bands people have talked about in this thread aren't "worthy" of a pin.

as i said, the Ramones were not chart toppers and i don't expect Stern to make a Ramones pin. But their influence on rock is completely outsized, especially compared to their record sales.

Quoted from stoptap:

It is a bit of a stretch to say The Ramones heavily influenced and inspired the Pistols. The Pistols morphed from The Strand who were formed by Paul Cook and Steve Jones in 1972. The Pistols were playing gigs in late 1975 and all through 1976. Their legendary Lessee Free Trade Hall gig in Manchester happened in June 1976, a month before the Ramones played London.

The Ramones had been around since '74. their first album came out in April '76 and was a huge influence on all of those UK bands -- it's not a stretch because they all said so themselves. Sid Vicious learned to play bass by playing along to Ramones first album. He regularly played Blitzkrieg Bop during soundchecks. In fact, in 1976, the Ramones were much bigger deal in the UK, where they were selling out big venues, than they were in the U.S., where they were only playing for 150 people at a time in NYC. honestly, i wonder if there's a certain amount of revisionism that's gone on in the last couple decades, partly fueled by a sense of nationalism -- Brits seem intent on downplaying how much their scene was inspired by the first Ramones album and those two July gigs, and the tour that came the following year.

"Even before I joined the Pistols I idolized the Ramones." Sid Vicious - Cream April 1978

"When their album came out all the English groups tripled speed overnight. Two minute songs very fast."
    Tony James - Punk: The Illustrated History Of A Music Revolution.

hell, here's Joe Strummer saying the UK scene couldn't have happened without the Ramones:

I would say that the New York Dolls had more of an influence on the Sex Pistols than the Ramones.

The New York Dolls played sloppy hard rock, like a low rent Rolling Stones. They wore spandex pants and platform boots, and had huge glam rock haircuts. they were an influence on both the Sex Pistols and Ramones, but it is the Ramones' look and sound that affected everything that came after, not the New York Dolls.

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

It will soon enough.

#207 7 years ago

Diarrhea Planet totally exploded on Seth Meyers last night. They were influenced by the Ramones :

http://www.hulu.com/watch/950719

http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers/video/diarrhea-planet-performance-aint-a-sin-to-win/3049406

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

They dont have their hair, make-up and blouses on.

#209 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

thanks for raising the hostility level of the discourse for no good reason.

as i said, the Ramones were not chart toppers and i don't expect Stern to make a Ramones pin. But their influence on rock is completely outsized, especially compared to their record sales.

The Ramones had been around since '74. their first album came out in April '76 and was a huge influence on all of those UK bands -- it's not a stretch because they all said so themselves. Sid Vicious learned to play bass by playing along to Ramones first album. He regularly played Blitzkrieg Bop during soundchecks. In fact, in 1976, the Ramones were much bigger deal in the UK, where they were selling out big venues, than they were in the U.S., where they were only playing for 150 people at a time in NYC. honestly, i wonder if there's a certain amount of revisionism that's gone on in the last couple decades, partly fueled by a sense of nationalism -- Brits seem intent on downplaying how much their scene was inspired by the first Ramones album and those two July gigs, and the tour that came the following year.
    "Even before I joined the Pistols I idolized the Ramones." Sid Vicious - Cream April 1978
    "When their album came out all the English groups tripled speed overnight. Two minute songs very fast."
    Tony James - Punk: The Illustrated History Of A Music Revolution.
    hell, here's Joe Strummer saying the UK scene couldn't have happened without the Ramones:
    » YouTube video

The New York Dolls played sloppy hard rock, like a low rent Rolling Stones. They wore spandex pants and platform boots, and had huge glam rock haircuts. they were an influence on both the Sex Pistols and Ramones, but it is the Ramones' look and sound that affected everything that came after, not the New York Dolls.

Sid Vicious was more of a joke figure than a serious member of the Pistols. Blitzkrieg Bop was probably the only song he could play right. He might well have been influenced by The Ramones but I believe the rest have cited The Stooges as a true influence.
    You seem to have to have missed the part about the Pistols playing their infamous Manchester gig BEFORE The Ramones gigs in '76.

#210 7 years ago

I heard that after Malcom McLaren saw the Ramones in NY, he went to England and put the Sex Pistols together and the rest,

as they say is history.

#211 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I heard that after Malcom McClaren saw the Ramones in NY, he went to England and put the Sex Pistols together and the rest,
    as they say is history.

You heard wrong. The precursor band to the Pistols were formed in 1972. Malcolm McLaren's influence on the band has been GREATLY exaggerated.

#212 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

The Ramones were probably the most influential band of the last 40 years.

maybe in a certain genre that I personally don't know about but Sabbath, Deep Purple, Motorhead and Zepplin are way more influential to most artists in the last 40 than The Ramones.

#213 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

You heard wrong. The precursor band to the Pistols were formed in 1972. Malcolm McLaren's influence on the band has been GREATLY exaggerated.

haha, mclaren built the sex pistols like a proto-boy band in order to promote his clothing shop. he was eager to jump on every stupid fad he thought he could make a buck off of, from Teddy Boy to fetish gear. he discovered cook and jones (and matlock), realized they had a modicum of musical talent and a decent ear for a hook, bought them a rehearsal space, then he picked Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious because they had the look he was going for. neither Sid nor Johnny had any prior musical experience. McLaren even named the band the Sex Pistols, to coincide with his clothing shop, which had been renamed "SEX" by that point.

Vicious only ended up learning how to play the bass by listening to the Ramones after he'd been hired by McLaren to play for the Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten's only talent is being rude and confronting awkwardness head on, which i guess the stilted British society found mind-blowingly shocking at the time. big whoop. at least he tried, i guess. reminds me a bit of the Monkeys in that regard -- a pre-fabricated boy band that eventually morphed into a real one. at least maybe that could have happened, except the Pistols self-destructed on their first U.S. tour. Johnny went on to do PiL but he's been living off his ultimately substanceless "i'm an asshole" shtick ever since.

#214 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

maybe in a certain genre that I personally don't know about but Sabbath, Deep Purple, Motorhead and Zepplin are way more influential to most artists in the last 40 than The Ramones.

Maybe I missed one, but how did this thread go for so long with this being the first mention of Zeppelin?

#215 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sliderpoint:

Maybe I missed one, but how did this thread go for so long with this being the first mention of Zeppelin?

I like them, but they stole far more music than they created on their own... (and stole almost all of the stuff you'd know from the radio).

#216 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the Pistols self-destructed on their first U.S. tour.

This is one case where it's pretty amazing they were able to put the band back together with all the original members 20 years later.

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

haha, mclaren built the sex pistols like a proto-boy band in order to promote his clothing shop. he was eager to jump on every stupid fad he thought he could make a buck off of, from Teddy Boy to fetish gear. he discovered cook and jones (and matlock), realized they had a modicum of musical talent and a decent ear for a hook, bought them a rehearsal space, then he picked Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious because they had the look he was going for. neither Sid nor Johnny had any prior musical experience. McLaren even named the band the Sex Pistols, to coincide with his clothing shop, which had been renamed "SEX" by that point.
    Vicious only ended up learning how to play the bass by listening to the Ramones after he'd been hired by McLaren to play for the Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten's only talent is being rude and confronting awkwardness head on, which i guess the stilted British society found mind-blowingly shocking at the time. big whoop. at least he tried, i guess. reminds me a bit of the Monkeys in that regard -- a pre-fabricated boy band that eventually morphed into a real one. at least maybe that could have happened, except the Pistols self-destructed on their first U.S. tour. Johnny went on to do PiL but he's been living off his ultimately substanceless "i'm an asshole" shtick ever since.

What a complete load of fucking bollocks. We get it, you like The Ramones but to write that shite about one of the most influential bands ever is just outstanding.
    I'm now going to crack on and make the best of our 'stilted British society'.

#218 7 years ago

#219 7 years ago

Ok, enough with the bands who will never get a pin made in their honor.

Lets get back to Iron Maiden!

#220 7 years ago

BILLY IDOL

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

It's all about sales, some of these washed up band requests would flop big time. Iron Maiden will also sell very well overseas. They sell out arenas till this day worldwide. The art package, music could be epic on a pinball

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

They sell out arenas till this day worldwide.

Seriously? I haven't known anyone who was a fan since the early 80s.

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Seriously? I haven't known anyone who was a fan since the early 80s.

This is July 4th Not April 1st. Iron Maiden is indeed selling out shows BIG shows, worldwide, yes even stateside.

Up the Irons!

#224 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

This is July 4th Not April 1st. Iron Maiden is indeed selling out shows BIG shows, worldwide, yes even stateside.
    Up the Irons!

I wasn't making a joke. It's been at least 25 years since I've known anyone who listened to Iron Maiden-- and he smelled a little funny and lived in the basement next to the hot water heater.

20+ years ago, I was the program director at the only hard rock & metal station in town. We played Metallica. We played Pantera. We played Deep Purple. We played Sabbath, Judas Priest, and all of the other classics. We didn't have a single Iron Maiden recording in the building-- they were considered corny and outdated even back then.

#225 7 years ago

Pink Floyd's The Wall would be my dream music pin.

#226 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

We played Deep Purple.

Well then certainly if any old rock stars deserve a pinball machine, it is Deep Purple.

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I wasn't making a joke. It's been at least 25 years since I've known anyone who listened to Iron Maiden-- and he smelled a little funny and lived in the basement next to the hot water heater.
    20+ years ago, I was the program director at the only hard rock & metal station in town. We played Metallica. We played Pantera. We played Deep Purple. We played Sabbath, Judas Priest, and all of the other classics. We didn't have a single Iron Maiden recording in the building-- they were considered corny and outdated even back then.

I guess is your neck of the woods that may be true, but they are still huge.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

they are still huge.

Somewhere....

#229 7 years ago

My vote is for this rock.
    Sedimentary for the win!
    rock_(resized).jpgrock_(resized).jpg

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

My vote is for this rock.
    Sedimentary for the win!

Sedimentary ???
    That's crazy talk. Everybody knows it should be igneous.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Sedimentary ???
    That's crazy talk. Everybody knows it should be igneous.

Igneous is so yesterday dude.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is one case where it's pretty amazing they were able to put the band back together with all the original members 20 years later.
    » YouTube video

They are older and wiser now and they ALL like money.

#233 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Somewhere....

Yea, somewhere https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Souls_World_Tour

So out of 537,859 seats available across 36 countries and 6 continents, they sold 98% of the seats. Not bad for a small band the former program director said was already a joke by the early 80's lol.

Let's do this Stern!!!

#234 7 years ago

GNR ! Bands back together ? Guys are paying crazy money for nice ones ? Slash loves pinball

Better yet , GNRR !

#235 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

They are older and wiser now and they ALL like money.

But most of all still alive.

#236 7 years ago

Yes please

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

Igneous is so yesterday dude.

Metamorphic is what all the hip cats are into these days.

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

GNR ! Bands back together ? Guys are paying crazy money for nice ones ? Slash loves pinball
    Better yet , GNRR !

Another band that hasn't been relevant in decades.

#240 7 years ago

Any iconic band/artist.

Doesn't have to be contemporary just iconic.You know like,Elvis.

Iron Maiden has a shot, but Black Sabbath would be so much smarter.

I wonder if Sinatra was ever kicked around in a meeting?

#241 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Any iconic band/artist.
    Doesn't have to be contemporary just iconic.You know like,Elvis.
    Iron Maiden has a shot, but Black Sabbath would be so much smarter.
    I wonder if Sinatra was ever kicked around in a meeting?

Only a madman would have tried kicking Frank Sinatra around !

#242 7 years ago

Hahaha!!!

I love when Joe Piscipo does Frank.

"I got chunks of guys like you in my crap!!!"

#243 7 years ago

The only band that is worthy of a pin is Barenaked Ladies. The pin could be called (wait for it) Silverball. Could use a rethemed modern Kiss pinball machine. Replacing the Gene head with a duct tape heart. Backglass and playfield artwork is available. Maybe not quite the rock theme you would prefer but have to admit that BNL is worthy of a pin.

#244 7 years ago

Prunes_(resized).jpgPrunes_(resized).jpg

#245 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

corny and outdated

You mean like Ghostbusters

#246 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

You mean like Ghostbusters

I don't disagree, but that movie is culturally iconic. People who still profess to be GNR fans are generally laughed at and seen as wierdos.

#247 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I don't disagree, but that movie is culturally iconic. People who still profess to be GNR fans are generally laughed at and seen as wierdos.

Not sure where you're getting that from, I was just at their concert and I'd say half weren't even born when they last toured.

#248 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Your experience is not the only experience - it's your experience. I know plenty of people that dig Iron Maiden. I was sitting waiting for a take out order in my car and had Sirius radio on when a Maiden song came on. Some random guy walks by and says "Yeah! Iron Maiden!" - I'm sure it wasn't anyone you worked with, but there are definitely Maiden fans out there. You don't need airplay in the 21st century to have a following.

Another example is something like ICP. I'm not a fan, and think they're comically bad (this is not a joke:

But this one IS: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/outrageous-clown-squad-kickspit-dirt-festival/n12792), but despite getting NO airplay to speak of, they have a huge following and a very lucrative touring and merch business.

I think a Maiden pin would do very well. I'd want one myself.

#249 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

culturally iconic.

Thats the stuff right there

#250 7 years ago

It's Aerosmith and will have 14 songs plus

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-rock-themed-game/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.