(Topic ID: 200433)

Next Stern release with feature-complete code (poll)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by 85vett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Next Stern pin needs feature-complete 1.0 code upon release to reinstill faith that they care about their customers”

• I agree, stop selling unfinished games - next pin needs 1.0 at release! 67 votes
      88%
    • Disagree, doesn't bug me what state the code is in - I still believe they will keep their promises and will wait for as long as it takes. 9 votes
      12%

(76 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

77D0EC9B-2040-479A-963A-2827ADBBE948 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Enough with this alpha/beta code at release (SW) and year+ waits before even 1.0 (BM66). It's time Stern stepped up it's game and released it's next game (IM, GOTG) with feature-complete code (1.0) instead of continuing to infuriate the collector community (well, operators probably would prefer complete code as well). Sure polish code updates will follow but shipping incomplete games serves no one except Stern.

Like being served uncooked food at a restaurant.

Please vote thanks.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

please god make it stop

Exactly, it needs to stop.

#4 6 years ago

Just excercize some self control and wait until the code is complete before buying. Nobody's forcing you to buy it right away. That also gives you a chance to see if you really like a game or not vs. buying it right away. There have been plenty of games that I liked upon first impression but then tired of them within a few months and I was glad I didn't buy them in retrospect. Patience is a good thing in this hobby. Let other collectors be the guinea pigs...

#5 6 years ago

O'hh hell yeah pls stop

I wOnt buy another game from them till I know code it done.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Let other collectors be the guinea pigs...

^^^^this

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

...Like being served uncooked food at a restaurant.

No it's not actually. It's like going back to the same goddamn restaurant every year for 8 years after never getting cooked food and then crying on pinside that the food isn't cooked. Like..whom saw that coming? Literally everyone but we'll fall for it again cause the theme man....the theme!!!!

What else is new/old this week. Ah yes, Did you know Stern recycles there layouts? Yes someone got the "scoop" on this one recently and it's a thing now. Never mind it's been going on since the 90s but I guess everyone is just realizing it for some reason.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No it's not actually. It's like going back to the same goddamn restaurant every year for 8 years after never getting cooked food and then crying on pinside that the food isn't cooked. Like..whom saw that coming? Literally everyone but we'll fall for it again cause the theme man....the theme!!!!
    What else is new/old this week. Ah yes, Did you know Stern recycles there layouts? Yes someone got the "scoop" on this one recently and it's a thing now. Never mind it's been going on since the 90s but I guess everyone is just realizing it for some reason.

Well sounds like you're more angry than me about it and then you downvote me. What's up?

All I'm saying is that it would be good if Stern raised the bar for next pin and released better code. Why does this make you angry?

#9 6 years ago

Because it's boring. We all want finished code right? OK end of thread, great job.

#10 6 years ago

Just speak to them directly by not buying at launch. I'm no longer buying NIB. I'll watch the secondhand market once I think a game is in a good spot.

It doesn't excuse Stern. It sucks that they ship things unfinished with hopes of finishing up later, but nobody forces us to buy.

#11 6 years ago

Be careful what you wish for....TBAG is apparently 99% complete code on release. Now just shoot that centre ramp 19 times in a row to complete International Rescue mode.

At least with Stern's 0.7 or worse release coders like Lyman and Borg have the ability to make a dog's breakfast of a machine halfway playable with decent code updates and give it some kind of depth. Even if they have to end up doing it on their own dime.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Enough with this alpha/beta code at release (SW) and year+ waits before even 1.0 (BM66). It's time Stern stepped up it's game and released it's next game (IM, GOTG) with feature-complete code (1.0) instead of continuing to infuriate the collector community (well, operators probably would prefer complete code as well). Sure polish code updates will follow but shipping incomplete games serves no one except Stern.
    Like being served uncooked food at a restaurant.
    Please vote thanks.

You really like declaration threads, huh? Your love letter to JJP thread, your "warning" to Stern thread, now this.

Look, Stern needs to up their game in many facets, no doubt. But your constant stepping up on a pedestal is just making them chuckle.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

All I'm saying is that it would be good if Stern raised the bar for next pin and released better code. Why does this make you angry?

Yeah?

Well, it would be good if Pinsiders raised the bar and stopped releasing the exact same shitty thread three times a week. There's absolutely no reason for this crap there's literally 20 identical threads running on fumes right now.

Why does this observation make you angry?

#14 6 years ago

I'm a collector who cares about the direction this industry is taking and I'm not the only one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern

I'm interested in gauging how pissed other collectors are getting in Oct, 2017. Of course if you have a vested financial interest in this business (you sell machines, lots of ties with Stern etc) then of course you can't possibly be impartial or have anything to add to these discussions. I couldn't either and would continue to shill away in that case so vote that you don't care about code and be on your way and spam the hell out of every other thread on pinside - it's like you're on their payroll - sheesh. Yes, this thread is so boring that you all take the time to click, read and then respond.

Shill: an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

This weekend showed the collector community what is possible and this has rekindled an interest in letting Stern know where we stand. I'm not angry, just want Stern to step up a bit so they can be more successful and sell more games. In any case, I know it has low probablility of changing anything and I'm OK with that. And I agree with the rest of you, don't buy 'til 1.0.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern

#15 6 years ago

77D0EC9B-2040-479A-963A-2827ADBBE948 (resized).jpeg77D0EC9B-2040-479A-963A-2827ADBBE948 (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

Hah, yes but sometimes dead horses need to get beat just a little bit more before they get it

#17 6 years ago

Stern is at least now trying to do a better job of communicating by releasing a list and an order of which pins they’re working on code updates for, which is definitely a step forward for them.

#18 6 years ago

I really don't care what version code a game is at. The rule of thumb is play the game before you buy it and go into it with the assumption no further code changes will occur. If you liked the game then buy it. If not, then wait till the code is updated and play it again.

For instance, I bought my MET after the crank it up feature was added. Before that the game was pretty dull to me. More updates game out later and it was just icing on the cake for me.

GOT, I bought (on what I believe) was base code. I've loved it since day one and it is still my go to game. It came out with pretty good launch code and I really can't think of to much that's changed since launch as in major feature changes. It's mainly been bug fixes.

The hard part, is we will never get people to agree when a game is complete.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-release-with-feature-complete-code-poll?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.