Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#393 4 years ago

Stranger Things is an ok theme I guess. The first season was alright. Never needed more after the first season. (Originally the show was going to be an anthology where every season would have been a different 80s homage)

I still think the best license out there for Stern is something from Nintendo. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon...these are themes that are insanely popular across multiple generations. Nintendo licenses out their properties for a million different things. Operators would be salivating for these kinds of themes.

If they can't get Back to the Future locked down, then do the next best thing. Rick and Morty. I don't think this would sell exceptionally well, but would be a solid license.

Black Panther could be an interesting choice. It would help bring a little diversity pinball themes while staying in a comfortable comic book area. That might be a good choice in another year or two when the sequel eventually comes out

Let Steve Ritchie design a High Speed 3, but release it as a Fast and the Furious theme (and release a few SLE with a custom art package as High Speed 3)

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Yes, we need something cross-generational.
    It's actually why I think BTTF would be kind of a dumb theme. That movie was about baby boomers and Gen X. What connection is there for younger people?

I'm still surprised a modern BTTF Hollywood reboot hasn't been greenlit yet. I guess Bill and Ted 3 fills the quota for 80s time-travel romps

#406 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You shouldn't be; Forever known that Gale & Zemekis will never let it happen.
    No idea why people have such boners to see shit they love remade into garbage they hate

I mean I don't care about BTTF...

But Hollywood rebooting things is extremely common. Blockbusters are a huge gamble and most people are too chicken-shit to stick their necks out for original ideas. The video game industry is having the same sort of stagnation in the AAA space as well.

#409 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No I get it, the thing is the guys that control BTTF have literally said they are working on setting up ways it cannot be made even AFTER they are dead.

Meh. Money talks. It's not like it's untouchable. The musical version of BTTF premieres on the West End of London next winter.

#420 4 years ago
    Quoted from dontpanicflip:

I think operators universally agree that games like Super Mario Bros And Street Fighter kill on location. A must have theme to make operators money would really help the hobby. Rather than games that appeal to the older generation or existing pinball players (like Iron Maiden and BKSOR).

Imagine if the smooth shooting, approachable rules, and achievable goals of The Munsters was Super Mario Brothers?

Make Spot a piranha plant, Herman is a goomba, dragula is a green pipe mold, and play the underground music in the lower playfield.

Even if the code is shallow that game would sell a magnitude more than Munsters did. It’d kill on location.

#496 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont care on a personal level 1 bit. Pinball is a hobby to talk about.
    As an outsider on a business level, it seems really apparent to me that Stern is obviously paying attention to JJP/Spooky/CGC and correctly so as they are taking potential $ out of the pinball buyer market.

It's not a zero-sum game. The market is growing. It's fine that JJP is taking market share from Stern, because Stern is still seeing large growth overall as the industry leader.

Stern isn't going to overreact JJP getting some Wonka's out the door after watching them tread water for several years. (I'm sure they appreciate JJP for experimenting with how much you can jack up the price in the base/premium/LE model)

I really don't think Stern is worried about Spooky. 500 games a year is just not worth much thought. Stern can sell about that many LE's 4x a year.

I think Stern isn't concerned with JJP and Spooky because of the mixed opinion of operators and their build quality. Plus it's just hard to beat the price on a Stern Pro. (Sure Stern has their own build quality issues too, but the perception is different for most people).

I think Stern should be concerned with CGC though. They're cranking out classic games that people love for a decent price. If I see a lineup full of new pinballs, it's going to be mostly Stern and with some CGC.

American Pinball. I'm writing their name just to prove I didn't forget about them. Just not worth talking about.

1 week later
    #666 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I am not sure on pricing for home pins, but I think I would rather use the money for a used ‘real’ one?

Non-pinheads feel comforted that buying a brand new game will be more reliable than a comparable used one. Stern wants that market that doesn't want to spend the extra $2,000 for a NIB arcade pin.

#690 4 years ago
    Quoted from TrueJedi:

I'm not suggesting that as we'd end up with another Zizzle. I'm suggesting if their objective is to reasonably break into non-pinball owner marketshare price points in and around $4k USD is too high. At $4k USD it's too close to a Pro, so they need to have stronger financial differentiation.

Sounds like a reason for Stern to bump up prices again

#697 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Looks tight![quoted image]

I know it's not a real Stern, but do you have a link for that project? It looks interesting for a homebrew. I kinda like how it appears to be scaled for a kitchen counter.

#821 4 years ago

Spider-Man Home Edition wouldn't have been so bad if the slings and pops didn't all fire at the same time. Something about that just screams cheap. If you're a casual player, there's more than enough to keep a family entertained for a while. Some extra code polish would really go a long way.

#830 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sub 4k is the sweet spot BUT it needs to be a full featured Pro model with coin door to bring in interest.

I wonder if ditching the coin door makes the license cheaper, because then they can argue it won't be setup in public or used to make the owner money.

Some non-pinheads that have bought games from me cared about a working coin door, but the majority did not care.

Whoever compared it to ping-pong and shuffleboard pricing is spot on. I've sold a couple games to families that just want to flesh out their gameroom, and they're ready to spend a couple grand for any pinball with a decent theme and/or art package. (Which is usually played for six months and never touched again)

#1229 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It's 4X too much for normies.
    It might work at 1k but then you'd have to build in China. Then you have the issue of product size. It's not a flat pack like 1up. Think of the volume this box takes up, just for a 1k item. You could fit 50k of phones or laptops in that same volume. This is an issue for shipping as well as retail.
    Consumer grade price, made in America, high quality.... pick 2.

I don't think anyone is seriously targeting the mass market with games like this. It's all about giving distributor showrooms a range of price points. Here are the used games for $3-6k, and here are the brand new games with a factory warranty for $4-9k. If people want to argue that Stern is seriously concerned with all of their competitors, then this is the cutthroat move to dominate the low to medium end of the NIB market.

It would be interesting if Stern could get a home game into a flat pack though. The cabinet and head could certainly be Ikea furniture. The playfield could be fully populated and just require a few single connectors. Like you said, the shipping and handling is a huge factor in the price. I wonder if you could fit two Ikea Sterns onto a pallet the same size as a normal NIB.

#1235 4 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

All Stern had to do was to say (before announcement) that this was NOT gonna be a "cornerstone game announcement" and I think they would have avoided a LOT of this hate. I think many people feel "fooled" because Stern was making this sound like it was a cornerstone game announcement. A couple of words could have avoided all this negativity, Stern.

I hope they pay Jack Danger well to deal with the brunt of the criticism, even though he has little to do with these kinds of decisions. Lots of upset people blowing up his streaming hustle.

Also Stern is in a lose-lose. They issued a boilerplate PR announcement. What are they supposed to announce, "hey we have something exciting to show...well it's not that exciting for our core customers, but you should still come visit us!"

#1248 4 years ago

Speaking of disappointments....

Star Wars makes perfect sense as a theme for another go around at a home game product. It has multi-generational appeal and they just worked with Disney on a Star Wars game. They already sorta know how Spiderman Home and the general comic book theme sells. So if they did another home game and it was within the realm of things they recently licensed, what is the most appealing? In other words, just how livid would people have been if they showed off Ghostbusters Home Edition yesterday That'd be marriage of the GoT code update and Star Wars Home edition trolls into the ultimate shit show.

#1326 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Isn’t this the fifth time Stern has introduced a home pin? By all accounts, they are batting 0 for 4 and it becomes obvious the world’s largest pinball manufacturer isn’t very good deciding what new product people want either. They’ve tried many combos of the pin and altered the build each time and yet the #1 feedback they received was to lower offer price by thousands. What Stern did each time was ignore this advice and what happened next was nothing - they didn’t sell more than a few hundred pins. Think about the effort required to create, market, manufacture and roll out the pin, only to see it fail. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat with a slightly different package each time.
    Then we have the people (Pinside), and they are suggesting 1) they want the pin as designed if it cost much less or 2) additional changes to make before others buy it or 3) changes to Stern’s manufacturing process. Of these, the first option requires one phone call and is practically effortless to implement.
    We are left watching and hoping Stern can pull it off this time, but believing they won’t unless they make changes people are saying they want to see. I view the expert advice given to Stern on the pin as genuine efforts to help them succeed. Even if all the advice sucks, I’ll bet there is at least one good idea (lower the price) contained within.

The people who want the game for thousands less wouldn’t buy a game that’s thousands less.

Stern is probably content to sell a couple hundred Star Wars Home Edition. This project got this particular layout on to Spike 2 and with a LCD screen. In a few years they’ll likely sell a commercial version of this game as a contracted game like Supreme (it’s the same game after all). Now Stern can offer multiple boutique pins with score wheels, dots, or a mini LCD. Slap a new art package on and go.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.