Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#775 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

And let's just quickly check in and see how that worked out for them...
    [quoted image]

Wow...a $200 discount! Street price for The Beatles was ~7k...

#777 4 years ago

Sure, if you were stupid enough to pay MSRP of $7,999!

As I said (if you can read), "Street price for The Beatles was ~7k". I know, because I purchased one.

#785 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Clearly I can read because I'm on an online forum. That comment was unnecessary.
    Don't you think they would also come down off the street price too if they're advertising lower prices? Seems reasonable to me.

It's "marketing". The bottom line is many NIB Beatles were sold for ~7k (not far from the ad listed above).

GameRoomGuys is advertising $6,799 as the sales price...

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Yup, that's where it is. And I bet they have a "street price" that's even lower.

Based on my experience with many pin purchases, I'd be really surprised if you are able to get GameRoomGuys to sell you a NIB Gold for much less than $6,799. If you can, awesome!

#788 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Right but price is king. Arcade threads are blowing up right now with 1up arcade mods, and I would strongly argue that price and placement are strong factors in their "success". You wont see a 4 thousand dollar stern home pin at Walmart or target. I agree that the marketing might get someone to consider buying a pin that wouldn't have before, but I don't think the home use pins will be high sellers by any stretch of the imagination. I was introduced to someone recently though a friend because he just bought his first pin and it was a Star Wars pro. Id be willing to bet that he wouldn't have purchased a home pin as he "wanted the real deal". I really hope I'm wrong, and I want stern to be successful but my education and work experience is telling me this will be yet another stern flop.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/costco-the-pin-is-in-stock

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This home edition junk is a great idea in theory, but the reality is that the price point being 70% of what it costs to get a real pinball machine costs, is the fail.

I agree...exactly what I said when the last "home edition" came out.

Over the years, I've gotten calls from folks asking for help with buying a new machine. Folks that had 0 interest in ever becoming one of "us" (i.e. collectors, fanatics, whatever). In all instances, these were folks with $$ (typically colleagues). I have friends/family members with more modest income/portfolios and they would never consider purchasing a game for thousands of dollars.

If the home edition is more reliable (and lighter) than commercial quality pins, it would be a nice complement to the 30% price reduction.

In any event, doesn't effect me, so I don't really care. Just interesting to know what resurrected the concept (since it's been awhile since the last iteration).

#1327 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Isn’t this the fifth time Stern has introduced a home pin? By all accounts, they are batting 0 for 4 and it becomes obvious the world’s largest pinball manufacturer isn’t very good deciding what new product people want either. They’ve tried many combos of the pin and altered the build each time and yet the #1 feedback they received was to lower offer price by thousands. What Stern did each time was ignore this advice and what happened next was nothing - they didn’t sell more than a few hundred pins. Think about the effort required to create, market, manufacture and roll out the pin, only to see it fail. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat with a slightly different package each time.
    Then we have the people (Pinside), and they are suggesting 1) they want the pin as designed if it cost much less or 2) additional changes to make before others buy it or 3) changes to Stern’s manufacturing process. Of these, the first option requires one phone call and is practically effortless to implement.
    We are left watching and hoping Stern can pull it off this time, but believing they won’t unless they make changes people are saying they want to see. I view the expert advice given to Stern on the pin as genuine efforts to help them succeed. Even if all the advice sucks, I’ll bet there is at least one good idea (lower the price) contained within.

Good points...wanted to add one thing.

Many folks have said the HE product isn't for "us". While this is true, I still think the collector community is large enough that our collective opinion matters.

Here's why: This type of purchase for MOST people isn't an "impulse purchase". If someone sees the machine @ Costco, I think many will seek out other opinions on the product (either by Googling or asking folks in their neighborhood). I've had many neighbors over the years ask about obtaining a pinball machine for their game room. In this case, I could see someone asking if the HE product is a good value when compared with the commercial quality Stern products.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.