Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat.gif
    1FC613F8-B795-423A-A26F-A1FB88000D08 (resized).jpeg
    BD3329FA-1AFB-4902-B811-8A7BBAC4D66F.jpeg
    waf (resized).jpg
    913305B7-F7CB-4A60-B13C-D013E5BD786E.jpeg
    TheHomer (resized).png
    5D897299-BB3E-4372-A7F4-085917360B45 (resized).jpeg
    A5F5013C-22C8-403D-B404-5169633335B4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Stern hurt you (resized).jpg
    rec.gif
    200.gif
    Screenshot_20190719-062816_Twitch (resized).jpg
    B9ADD20A-6042-4EDC-8626-F4CEE83B368F (resized).jpeg
    76D5C515-06BC-4631-982F-0EB5CF763AD2 (resized).jpeg
    dq (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider honch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 4 years ago

Let's just get on with Elvira 3, already. If that makes me an old man, so be it.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from nitroman28:

No shit. Screw these people. Stay right there I’ll go get your walker so you can get out of this thread.

No need. Most of the nonsense on these threads stops once your parents get home from work and makes you do your chores.
    I can wait till then.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Gen X is a major driver in pinball's success now. We started playing in early 90's which is also when Williams started to lean heavily into licenses. T2, Batman, Jurassic Park, Hook, Addam's Family, Bram Stoker's, TNG, Indiana Jones... all things we enjoyed and served as a "gateway drug" to get us interested.
    What if all the licenses back then had been 50 year old stuff? Bing Crosby Multiball, Gregory Peck The Pin, John Wayne's Cactus Canyon? Would we have cared? We laugh at themes like "Roy Clark The Entertainer" but that was just as dated then as many of these themes are now.
    Any business should think about long term success, and in an industry that relies so heavily on licensing themes, some thought should be given to what people under 50 enjoy.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm 43. I really enjoyed TMNT back in the day and think the 1990 movie still holds up.

You make a few good points(some of those themes would be terrible), but some things are timeless and shouldn't automatically be disregarded because they were created before your or anybody else's time.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just not Elvira.

Believe it or not(another timeless theme imho), you're under no obligation to buy it or even like it.

#203 4 years ago

You damn kids!!!

I'm curious what the age range of you guys that are so against anything pre 2000s? I was born in 71, but if someone made a Bela Lugosi pin I'd probably be in it. I know that's only one example, but I love anything "old school ".

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm a year older than you and think Elvira is rotten

You're definitely In her demographic. I'm guilty of loving anything Halloween or horror related, so that's where it all started for me. Halloween time with the haunted cornfields and houses is all the rage here in central PA in Oct. Always has been for as long as I can remember. Elvira is just straight up nostalgia for me.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

There in the same range as us, its not that its pre 2000's its that its not there top choices from those decades. If ur into the grateful dead or Bon Jovie maybe IMaiden ain't ur thang. well tough titty. A lot of those same haters all of a sudden disappeard when BM66 came out. Now I'm not saying there aren't great themes to be had in the last 2 decades but hard to argue that the 60s, 70,s 80,s and 90.s weren't vastly superior, for me at least. The other ridiculous thing about all that is theres alot of modern stuff being made. Whining becasue every title doesn't appeal to them, ni interest in Wonka yet I will say it. I'm glad they made it because its a good thing for other people to get what they want as well.

I think you nailed it. I'd love a Judas Priest pin, but you just know some fan of the lighter 80s pop would complain because theres enough hard rock in pinball already. Stern could make a pin based on Wham and I might laugh, but I'd never complain. I'm no fan of the Wizard of Oz(I'd prefer blizzard of oz), but I can see the appeal.
    Theres a lid for every pot and I think theres enough variety in new pins to appeal to everyone, so I dont understand people's animosity towards a theme they don't like.
    We all get older if we're lucky and whatever you thought was cool in Your youth, is going to some day be considered lame as fuck by the younger generation.

#221 4 years ago

Agreed. I dont know how good Halford is live these days, but I saw Priest in 87 (absolutely fantastic show)and he destroyed everyone's eardrums that night. The new album rocks and if they roll through PA, I'm there.

#257 4 years ago

Just get the Metal Works '73-'93 double album. Every song on those two discs rocks and gives you a nice sample of their first two decades of music. No filler or throw away tracks.

#287 4 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

I think I’d rather see Violent Femmes made into a pin than another esoteric metal band.

Priest is esoteric??

#431 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Fuck them. You guys man, young people do not buy pinball machines, and don't go to barcades so where is the need what so ever to appeal to young folk?

Hazoff, You might say things in a brutal fashion sometimes, but you're not wrong. Make games for people who buy them. Most Kids today do not and will not ever give a damn about pinball as much as those of us who grew up with the arcades of the 80's and 90's do. They're not going to be shelling out thousands of dollars on new pins no matter what the theme of the game is, and in about 10 to 12 years this hobbie's large scale manufacturing will be toast.

Its almost like some of you guys think you're a better person because you "care" about the future of pinball for the next generation.
    I got news for you do-gooders. The resurgence will be grinding to a halt sooner than later. There is no up and coming generation of pinball collectors, so enjoy it for what it is in the here and now.

Most likely within the next 10 years new tech like VR and AR will have matured enough to crush all other forms of entertainment. That will most likely kill pinball manufacturing among other things. On the plus side 3D printing technology should be good enough and cheap enough by then to print out your own game parts at home, assuming you're still in the hobby.

I know we'll have a few young people here and there get into pinball, but never in the numbers you see in those of us over 40. Its very generational and there's nothing anyone can do to change it.

#433 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Well brutal honesty is usually taking badly but someone has to be honest around here. Thanks

They're fighting a losing battle. Embrace the progress of technology because its not going to stop.

#436 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

If you have a business, you generally are in it for the long term. Guys obsessed with 80’s metal won’t be around to buy pinball machines forever. Get it?

Pinball Manufacturers wont be around forever either. Get it???

#444 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Amazing. So, the thinking is that pinball is dead and might as well flame out on old guy themes? I bet Stern and several others have a different outlook. Seems like a defeatist attitude but who knows?

No, its not dead. Not yet. But you guys that think the younger generation is someday going to keep Stern and JJP or any other pinball manufacturers going on for decades to come are kidding yourselves. Idc who is playing what games wherever they may be located.

The notion that the 20 somethings of today are out in droves, drinking it up and playing pinball is pure fantasy. And any of your anecdotal evidence means zip compared to the reality. The fines and penalties for drinking and driving alone are too much for any of these "youth" to risk the financial hardship in this gig economy. Not to mention the risk of injury or death.

The town I grew up in had 32 bars in it when I was 21. Now 26 years later it s down to 12 bars while theres been an increase in the population of the county. That's not a coincidence or an outlier, that's reality in a lot of towns across the East coast of America. I travel a lot for work and whenever I'm in bars with pinball machines, NOBODY plays them. Except for me of course ,but that's exactly my point. Maybe other parts of the country or world are different, but I'd be very surprised.

You combine that with the VR/AR systems (5 to 10 years away) that will be far superior in every conceivable way to anything we have today and that spells the end of coin op. There are other cultural reasons I think pinball is in its final decade, but I think it's clear as day for anyone that wants to see it. Thats just my 2 cents. Btw that doesn't mean the hobby has to end for anyone that doesn't want it to.. It's just going to be a lot less relevant in The world than it already is.

#453 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I am kidding myself.
    the kids these days tell be that uber(?) is like a faster taxi...uber here uber there...and if they live in any metro, there are freakin electric bikes and scooters everywhere...literally...there's one in front of my neighbor's house right now.....in short, I don't think DUI's are involved with pinball decisions. And, just because pinball is at a bar/eatery doesn't=get totally blotto and drive home to most people. AND, unless all of pinball is dying in next 10 years, you need to cater to "youth"-ish to some extent. Seems insane to think manufacturers haven't studied this.

First off, these days 2 beers in an hour =DUI. So no, You dont have to be "blotto" as you put it to get arrested and charged. Uber isnt free and idk any 20 somethings with all this money to burn that you seem to think they have at their disposal. Most of them are bitching about being in debt up to their ears because of school loans. And what does electric bikes have to do with anything? Are those free??? Besides, you can get a DUI on a skateboard these days.
    And Of course there's millennials in bars and maybe occasional playing pinball. So what??!!!! Who said there isnt? That doesn't mean they're looking to spend thousands on a game.
    Ultimately I think pinball dies on the vine in 10 years because of the disruptive technology that's on the horizon. It really doesn't matter who you cater pinball to at this point. Pinball will be in big trouble within the next decade so you might as well go after the guys with the deep wallets while you can. Hint: (it's not millenials)
    That's really all I was pointing out. All this other garbage you guys have been throwing at me has been anecdotal or a strawman argument at best.
    See you guys in 10 years and we'll discuss the state of pinball.

#455 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Don't worry I'm not going anywhere, u couldn't get rid of me with silver bullets and a wooden stake.

Hazoff, I like to think that you're wearing that same outfit that's in your avatar when you post. Always ready for battle.

#478 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I think bar-fly millenials would have to own a car before they'd be able to get a DUI.
    Look I'm not saying make Power Rangers, Pokemon (insert millenial catnip title here) pinball, just consider younger players once in a while. Stern claims to care so much about operators (and they're the only company making pins operators can afford) so why not consider the base of who's actually playing these games outside of rich Gen X basements?

I'm not really arguing against your suggestion because there's obviously some interest from the younger hobbyists for something theyre familiar with. I just think the demographics of the people buying pins is clearly in the 40 plus crowd, so that's where most (not all) of the money lies.
    And like I said before, I really dont think it's going to matter in about 10 years from now what manufacturers do because theyll be irrelevant.
    It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out and to see which direction Stern and JJP go over the next few years.

#504 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

They better sell fast, I heard pinball is dead in 10 years...heard it on pinside which is always reliable

Really??? Because I heard that pinball manufacturing is going to go on for decades (maybe even forever and eva) because pinball companies plan ahead. Plus we all know that no company has ever gone out of business that planned ahead. If only those companies that made 8 track tapes planned ahead, I'm sure it would have worked out fine.

#510 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I couldn't disagree with this more, for me anyway if Stern or CGC or Spooky etc. didn't exist I wouldn't be buying Wonka. I would buy something classic and used long before something new that didn't interest me.

No question about it. I dont have an issue with JJP, but they haven't made a game yet that I'd be interested in buying. The games look nice and the few I played were pretty good, but they weren't anything that would interest me to buy for my own collection.

#513 4 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Anyone who talks about "decades" when it comes to pinball -- whether good or bad -- has delusions of being Nostradamus. You don't know shit.
    Relax, keyboard warriors.

Yeah. You're right, genius. Theres no such thing as trends.

#518 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

oh be nice #eyerollmaniac
    you said dead in 10 years and have some trend info somewhere that proves that I guess? Let's have it.

When I talk about trends, I'm talking specifically about VR systems, their steady improvement and their future impact on home entertainment.I work in that field and it's going to get scary good within the next handful of years. Good enough that rest assured the kids growing up on this technology will want little to nothing to do with anything else.

As far as pinball goes, I think it's pretty obvious that location pinball isnt anywhere close to what it use to be and it never will be again.Theres zero chance that the kids of today, will in the future fill the void left by the current hobbyist/buyers when we're gone. Their interest are in the digital realm, social media, online gaming etc. Pinball doesn't even make a blip on their radar. So i think things ultimately will dry up for the most part and that's a trend you can see with your own two eyes.
    Thats just MY opinion, but maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Time will tell.

#519 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah neither do I but apparently if u have this veiw point then ur a Stern fanboy which is really stupid. I had a deposit down on Hobbit until I played it. I almost bought a used DI recently and it didn't work out because BK3 won me over. I hope they make something that appeals to me and I would become a customer, the JJP fanboys are the worst and also the best as they are so easily triggered.

BK3 looks like a badass game to me, but I'm a B/W fanboy and I make no apologies for it either.

#525 4 years ago
    Quoted from 7oxford:

Whilst I agree to a point. I don’t see real pinball dying out in the next decade. It has that tactile feel plus nolstalgia factor going for it. It’s survived video games, iPads, tv etc for 80 odd years now.

You're right, but that's the missing ingredient that VR will have in spades by the end of the 2020s. The haptic controls literally get better by the month.
    Nostalgia is a non issue for the youth of today. They didn't grow up in the arcade era and will have no emotional attachment to arcades or pinball imo.
    There really will be no comparison or competition to a truly immersive virtual world where anything you can think of is possible. I guess pinball could live on in a virtual world if you wanted it to.
    There are still engineering hurdles to be sure, but I have no doubt theyll be worked out well enough over the next 10 years that the experience will be nothing short of phenomenal. I think the impact, not just on Pinball but society as well will be exciting and scary.

#526 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Next Spooky game will be (Fall release) :
    Killer Klowns From Outer Space.[quoted image]

That's an interesting, outside the box idea.

1 week later
    #595 4 years ago

I'm shocked at how well guarded Stern keeps their reveals.

#634 4 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

Not only that, but the official rules are you can pick 3 or 4 but not 5. Choose wisely!
    1) Good Code / Rules
    2) Great Theme
    3) Excellent Art
    4) Fantastic Music & Call outs / Theme Integration
    5) Awesome Layout

Tough choices. Artwork is what attracted me to pinball in the first place and is one of my favorite things about these games. Yet, strangely enough it's the one thing you really dont need to have a great game. Pretty games arent worth a damn if they're no fun.

#1006 4 years ago

Very anticlimactic, but theres still the reveal of the C8 Corvette to look forward to today.

#1180 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

I was never arguing with you. I was never arguing about the price at all, but some others don't apparently comprehend that.

There are no discussions on Pinside or exchange of ideas. Only arguments, disagreements and overwhelming disappointment.

I almost forgot. There are no opinions either, only unfiltered facts.

#1182 4 years ago

Btw, Rob I totally dig the avatar. It does suit this forum to a tee sometimes.

#1233 4 years ago

I highly doubt Stern was trying to take personal shots at guys that are most likely to buy their cornerstone games.
    They have a new low end (but still expensive) product and they tried to pump it up a little. I don't think it's going to work either, but no harm done.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider honch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-stern-game-will-be-summer-release?tu=honch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.